Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Generating a Pass Rush

srrono

All Pro
The Patriots are the class of the AFC, so If the Texans want to advance to the Superbowl they need to be able to beat NE. The way to beat NE is thru the Pass Rush with out relying on the blitz.

A healthy Cushing will help.

I am hoping HOU does not cut A.Smith maybe a contract extension is the answer for Smith.

I think the Texans should let Barwin go unless he signs on the cheap due to lack of production. If Barwin does go I think Anthony Spencer should be FA target. Spencer had 11 sacks this year, he played for Dallas so Wade has familiarity with him. Kruger BAL LB would be a great addition but I think he will be way overpriced for HOU.

Draft Pass Rusher should be targeted with 1 of first two picks. I am hoping that the pick is a ILB with pass rush ability and enough speed to cover.

I don't like the mlb's in this draft class. Maybe there will be a gem in the late rounds, but these top guys all look overrated to me.

Olb, I'm a big dion Jordan fan. Exccelent coverage skills, can play man to man on some te's even. Can also play in the middle in certain packages. He's also a good pass rusher. 6'6", long arms and athletic.

But I have no idea what the texans are thinking. Can only state who I like.

I think the texans might need to get creative to address their ilb issues though.

The Patriots are the class of the AFC, so If the Texans want to advance to the Superbowl they need to be able to beat NE. The way to beat NE is thru the Pass Rush with out relying on the blitz.

A healthy Cushing will help.

I am hoping HOU does not cut A.Smith maybe a contract extension is the answer for Smith.

I think the Texans should let Barwin go unless he signs on the cheap due to lack of production. If Barwin does go I think Anthony Spencer should be FA target. Spencer had 11 sacks this year, he played for Dallas so Wade has familiarity with him. Kruger BAL LB would be a great addition but I think he will be way overpriced for HOU.

Draft Pass Rusher should be targeted with 1 of first two picks. I am hoping that the pick is a ILB with pass rush ability and enough speed to cover.

Man if you think Kruger will be overpriced wait until you see the price tag on Spencer. He's going to get paid this year.

And again, like many people have noted in other threads, you going to use a top pick on a LB that comes off the field on 3rd down? Cushing is the guy you describe in your OP. The other ILB needs to be a guy who can stuff the run on run downs and get into decent pass coverage on passing plays. He comes off the field on throwing downs and is replaced by Nickel or Dime players.

I don't like the mlb's in this draft class. Maybe there will be a gem in the late rounds, but these top guys all look overrated to me.

Olb, I'm a big dion Jordan fan. Exccelent coverage skills, can play man to man on some te's even. Can also play in the middle in certain packages. He's also a good pass rusher. 6'6", long arms and athletic.

But I have no idea what the texans are thinking. Can only state who I like.

I think the texans might need to get creative to address their ilb issues though.

I like Kevin Reddick. I think BL is a big fan of his too. I know badboy has been hyping up Andrew Jackson for months. He's a big plugger that would fit in that other ILB role. A younger, more athletic Bradie James. We could take a guy like Mauti in the mid-rounds. He won't be anything special IMO, but could be a solid player.

As for OLB, I do like Jordan. I really like Chase Thomas. I think he'll be a better player than Reed in a few years. Travis Long is a sleeper prospect. Very similar to Barwin except he's more of a LB while Barwin is more of a DE.

Am I the only one that thinks we need DL help? Preferably a good DE as our NT only plays a few downs. Anyone draft worthy with our #1?

Am I the only one that thinks we need DL help? Preferably a good DE as our NT only plays a few downs. Anyone draft worthy with our #1?

We could go NT with our 1st and take a guy like Kawaan Short (Purdue). I like the idea of Mitchell starting next year though and just adding some depth behind him. If you have a chance to upgrade you have to think about it though.

At DE, we could hope Sheldon Richardson (Missouri) falls to us but that's unlikely. Guys like Ezekiel Ansah (BYU) and Margus Hunt (SMU) will be available but I'm not sure if they're 1st round picks. Both are athletic freaks, but very raw.

I'm actually not upset about our rotation at DE. We just need more depth at NT. Remember Jamison has been solid for us and we lost him early this year and Crick was just a rookie. He will get better.

LE - A. Smith / J. Crick
DT - E. Mitchell / T. McClain?
RE - J. Watt / T. Jamison

I'll be honest though I would not be upset with trading up and taking Star Lotulelei (NT, Utah). He would transform this front. Would have to be top 5 though.

We could go NT with our 1st and take a guy like Kawaan Short (Purdue). I like the idea of Mitchell starting next year though and just adding some depth behind him. If you have a chance to upgrade you have to think about it though.

At DE, we could hope Sheldon Richardson (Missouri) falls to us but that's unlikely. Guys like Ezekiel Ansah (BYU) and Margus Hunt (SMU) will be available but I'm not sure if they're 1st round picks. Both are athletic freaks, but very raw.

I'm actually not upset about our rotation at DE. We just need more depth at NT. Remember Jamison has been solid for us and we lost him early this year and Crick was just a rookie. He will get better.

LE - A. Smith / J. Crick
DT - E. Mitchell / T. McClain?
RE - J. Watt / T. Jamison

I'll be honest though I would not be upset with trading up and taking Star Lotulelei (NT, Utah). He would transform this front. Would have to be top 5 though.

Depending on what it takes, yes I would love us to do that. I just believe we need another interior lineman aside from JJ that can cause havoc. Getting Jamison back will be some relief but I'm not sold on Crick yet.

I like Kevin Reddick. I think BL is a big fan of his too. I know badboy has been hyping up Andrew Jackson for months. He's a big plugger that would fit in that other ILB role. A younger, more athletic Bradie James. We could take a guy like Mauti in the mid-rounds. He won't be anything special IMO, but could be a solid player.

As for OLB, I do like Jordan. I really like Chase Thomas. I think he'll be a better player than Reed in a few years. Travis Long is a sleeper prospect. Very similar to Barwin except he's more of a LB while Barwin is more of a DE.

I also forgot to mention Gerald Hodges (Penn State). He has been excellent to start of the East-West Shrine practices. Carries a 3-4 round grade right now.

Well if you want to build to beat the Pats.

What you really need is a guy(s) to provide pressure up the middle without blitzing. Between Reed and Mercillus there is an outside rush, Watt moving to tackle against the Pats with another guy?

More importantly Phillips needs to be more flexible and get players who can playy press/man OR zone. You have to mix it up on Brady in terms of the looks you give him and get pressure up the middle without Blitzing.

As Einstein said Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results, someone needs to tell Wade this.

Man if you think Kruger will be overpriced wait until you see the price tag on Spencer. He's going to get paid this year.

And again, like many people have noted in other threads, you going to use a top pick on a LB that comes off the field on 3rd down? Cushing is the guy you describe in your OP.The other ILB needs to be a guy who can stuff the run on run downs and get into decent pass coverage on passing plays. He comes off the field on throwing downs and is replaced by Nickel or Dime players.

This is very confusing! I know what you mean though. Look Wade like any coordinator is going to put the best players on the field for the situation. If he had a ILB that was good at coverage he wouldn't hesitate to leave him in in passing situations. Hell if you want proof look at how many times he left Ruud in in those situations. He was one on one with the TE. He got burned but Wade had him in there.

We need another ILB that is good at blitzing and solid in coverage. A high effort player that is instinctive and has a high football IQ that goes all out all the time. Skov!

You guys are all talking about pass rush. Margus Hunt is a freak and with good coaching, I could see him becoming an absolute beast. Could he play tackle in a 3-4? Or would he be a 6-8 OLB?

Back