Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2013   #41
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is our next QB already on the roster?

sadly Kubes is bassicaly our QB and he uses

Schaub
Yates
and
Keenum

has his robtic arm and if aint broke dont change it in Kubes eyes 12 wins and a PLayoff wins aint broke so i expect Schaub to be our QB next year with a shorter leash on thats about it
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #42
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 796 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
Thats college...against Rice. Doesn't translate to the NFL.
Texcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #43
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesnt matter, its still pretty impressive to throw 9 TDs
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #44
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 76755 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
????????Granted it was in college, but Keenum had a 70% completion rate, 155 passing TDs (with additional 23 rushing TDs) / 46 INTs, 160 QB rating
And nobody drafted him.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #45
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 796 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Perhaps, but its still against Rice...

And it doesn't tell how well he will do in the NFL. Impress me in the NFL I say.
Texcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #46
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Some sources say he's 6', others 6'1" and others 6'2". That's in the Drew Brees to Joe Montana/Steve Young range......

I'm intrigued by a mobile qb, with a strong/accurate arm.
Old 01-14-2013   #47
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 811 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcore View Post
Perhaps, but its still against Rice...

And it doesn't tell how well he will do in the NFL. Impress me in the NFL I say.
Alot of guys played against Rice, but they didn't have 9 tds. Kurt Warner lit up arena league playing against what you guys would call scrubs and that translated. just sayin
ajohnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2013   #48
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 81301 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

The main criticisms of Keenum by scouts were commonly related to the unknown factors. He never did a three or five step drop. He didn't play under center. He played in a spread offense. He was a system QB.

To me, those reasons aren't good enough to dismiss his upside. His accuracy at least qualifies him for a shot as a backup.

Another reason he went undrafted is because his throwing performance at the combine was affected by a hamstring pull.

Quote:
For the 24-year-old, Monday was about showcasing his true abilities after being hampered by a hamstring injury at the NFL scouting combine in February. The Abilene native revealed that he strained his right hamstring running his second 40-yard dash at the combine and that it affected his throwing during drills. On Monday, there were no ill effects from the injury, as Keenum whizzed pass after pass to receivers on a variety of patterns, showed capable arm strength and displayed his athleticism with a 4.31-second time in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.89 seconds in the three-cone drill. He also put up a solid 18 repetitions on the bench press. "It was very important for me to show these guys that (at the combine), that was not me," Keenum said. "I have very high standards for myself and I believe in my abilities tremendously and I think I wasn't at my best. I wanted to go out there and compete. That's what I do."
Link.

And he fully intends to be a starter in the league:

Quote:
"I'm blessed to be where I'm at, obviously," he said. "But content? No. I won't be content to be a backup. I won't be content just being a starter. I won't be content with just playing. I want to be a big part of the team, and I want to contribute and win games and win championships."
Link (to a good article).
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #49
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It is obvious that Schaub will be under center at the beginning of next season, his job essentially protected by his guaranteed 2nd year contract......and the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990. It would not surprise me at all, though, if Keenum claims #2.

msr
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #50
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I definitely am curious how he develops from year 1 to 2. I have no confidence in Yates whatsoever to develop into a top 10 starter in the league. I'm a huge Tyler Wilson fan though and would love to draft him.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #51
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Case is not an nfl qb. His arm is average, he was injury prone to boot.
Old 01-15-2013   #52
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 81301 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Even as a backup?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #53
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He had one injury in college and his arm looks decent enough. Better than we have now.

Chances are he's not our future QB. I'm not sure how many teams in the NFL have had an undrafted player as their starting QB, but not many I'm sure. But maybe he'll surprise people. I'm interested to see him in the preseason.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #54
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31940 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Heh got to have a bit more reasoning than this because you just described Matt Schaub lol.

As for Keenum, who knows. I like his approach and personality but to achieve what he seeks will take a lot of hard work on his part. Will say much about his character if he can pull it off and becoming something in this league. I'll be rooting for the kid to get it done but all is against him on this one. But you never know what can happen. We have heard stranger stories taking place.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #55
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
The main criticisms of Keenum by scouts were commonly related to the unknown factors. He never did a three or five step drop. He didn't play under center. He played in a spread offense. He was a system QB.
In Bold: I think that is such BS! Not the post but the fact that he didn't play under center so he didn't get evaluated. I know you are correct on the statement because it happens every year, but the fact "experts" say just because he didn't play under center, he cannot play?

How many times do you see Manning under center? As for a "system" QB, nobody is a bigger "system" QB than Tom Brady. Matt Cassell proved that fact by going 11-5 for NE then doing nothing outside the Pats system offense. Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Rivers take the majority of their snaps in a shotgun formation.

If a HC and OC are smart and can check their egos, which is asking allot, they build an offense around the QB that is effective and productive, like Carroll did in Seattle, like Shannahan did in Washington. That is why you will not see that kind of QB under Kubiak. He won't change his offense to fit his talent, and he is too egotistic to create an offense to the QB's strengths...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #56
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
In Bold: I think that is such BS! Not the post but the fact that he didn't play under center so he didn't get evaluated. I know you are correct on the statement because it happens every year, but the fact "experts" say just because he didn't play under center, he cannot play?

How many times do you see Manning under center? As for a "system" QB, nobody is a bigger "system" QB than Tom Brady. Matt Cassell proved that fact by going 11-5 for NE then doing nothing outside the Pats system offense. Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Rivers take the majority of their snaps in a shotgun formation.

Ever heard of Charlie Weiss? Josh Mcdaniels? Bill O'Brien? You know who these guys are? Three completely different OC's the Patriots have had.

That's "three different offensive systems" that Tom Brady has had to play with a plethora of different weapons in all of those systems he played in. Hell, he's gone back and forth into Mcdaniels system to O'Brien, and then back to Mcdaniels system this season just this season.

You are completely off base here and have no freaking idea about Tom Brady and the Patriots to say that he's nothing but a system QB. If anything he is the most anti system QB in this league considering the fact that he has flourished in 3 different systems, and not just one like you tried to insinuate. BB is a defensive minded coach and always has been. If you want to blast Kubiak and Schaub at least use some examples that illustrate what you're trying to convey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
If a HC and OC are smart and can check their egos, which is asking allot, they build an offense around the QB that is effective and productive, like Carroll did in Seattle, like Shannahan did in Washington. That is why you will not see that kind of QB under Kubiak. He won't change his offense to fit his talent, and he is too egotistic to create an offense to the QB's strengths...

This part may actually be true, but you don't know that for sure. I tend to think it is, Shanahan is hardly an example of this.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #57
417Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4299 417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonder how far Matt can throw a ball? I like to see him heave one on a field and see what he has.........
417Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #58
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Timmy Chang and Colt Brennan did it all the time. Graham Harrell and Kliff Kingsbury did it too. Were you impressed with any of them?

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #59
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417Texan View Post
Wonder how far Matt can throw a ball? I like to see him heave one on a field and see what he has.........
Not the best test though tbf, it's about accuracy whilst heaving it, I have no doubt he has the outright strength to throw an impressive distance, can he drop it into the hands of a moving target an impressive distance away though? His lack of confidence to do just that would tell me he can't. When the Texans got the ball back on the last drive you'd think a Hail Mary to AJ followed by an onside kick was the best option. They dinked and dimed and kept the chains (and clock) moving.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #60
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Case ...His arm is average...
Based on what? Both Kubiak and Dorrell say Case has a "big arm."

Reports of Case's "weak" arm came from the combine where he pulled his hamstring before throwing. Everything I've read said Keenum dispelled those concerns at his pro day.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read