Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-15-2013   #61
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teammates come to Schaub's defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
they are inside the bubble. its only natural for them to defend a teammate. but the people speak the truth.

4-15 for the offense on 3rd down.

an offense that has 6 pro bowlers.

we all know the 2 biggest problems here.
One of which was Schaub.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #62
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
One of which was Schaub.
Schaub didn't deserve it this year. Neither did Wade Smith.

The problem is we have a perennial All-Pro at WR and RB and a franchise LT. Also have good players at C and TE that have routinely made Pro-Bowls. There are QB's who have done more with less.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #63
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Schaub didn't deserve it this year. Neither did Wade Smith.

The problem is we have a perennial All-Pro at WR and RB and a franchise LT. Also have good players at C and TE that have routinely made Pro-Bowls. There are QB's who have done more with less.
This is all true and I agree. I was just pointing that out to the guy that acts like Schaub is some sort of guy that miraculously became a QB over night and has never had any history of success. Same guy also stated before that our Oline couldn't be criticized, because it had pro bowlers no matter how madly they stunk in certain games. I don't think he even realizes that Schaub was a pro bowler himself. Lol! Even though it was an alternate. I don't think he was in Pro Bowl form myself for the record. Not even close really, but some people go from not saying a word about Schaub this season to acting like he is 3rd string material literally over night.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #64
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
well maybe in 3 yrs, you can come back and say this was correct...pre robert woods etc.. so you and every other fan can keep their 100% record of always being right alive
I'm not sure that I want to be correct.

However, I feel confident that my take will be right in 3 years...unfortunately. No winky required.

It's only entertainment. This season was certainly entertaining, and in the end, that's all we can ask for as fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417Texan View Post
Houston is going to be great/good next year. Cushing is going to be back and I think defense is gonna be fine. Qb still is a concern.
yep. Houston's got a good team. Not great, but good on the cusp of being great.

This team could be like the 2000 Ravens, winning with defense. We have our version Ray Lewis with Cushing, our version of Jamal Lewis with Foster, and our Trent Dilfer with Schaub.

Don't concern yourself with Schaub. He will be here!
Old 01-15-2013   #65
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest sadness in my heart is that our QB is getting every single call from the sidelines, even in a hurry up. Schaub seems bright, but he's not being trusted to adapt and maneuver. That got the Germans defeated in WWII...while the U.S. infantry was able to fire and maneuver and operate in ways that even if their sergeant went down in a battle, the corporal assumed direct command (he became the acting sergeant) and the whole squad just carried out the mission as it had been planned. The Germans, if their field commander fell, froze and were not allowed to do ANYTHING until they received orders or were given a new commander. Paralysis.

We need a guy, a HC and a QB, who can fire and maneuver. Part of me is watching Kevin Sumlin and how he does at A&M. Whether he was at UH or A&M, he's smart enough to let his QB do what is Qb does best. With Case it was the standard spread offense and with Manziel it's been that run-and-gun style that the 49ers and Seahawks have implemented this year. The point is this: Sumlin is adapting to his QBs, and he's using their strengths to shape the offense.

Gary is saying HERE IS MY OFFENSE, now let's make everyone from top to bottom adjust to ME.

I think that method is about to die out.
Old 01-15-2013   #66
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

On the 1 hand you say, "well, what else are they supposed to say?" but on the other, you realize that they're right....if you truly are being objective and don't have an agenda anyway.

Its a team game folks. Let me reiterate that...its a team game. The best team game on earth and the reason why i prefer it over any other professional sports game. & for every play schaub didn't make, i'm sure every 1 of our starters can point to an equal # of plays and say they didn't get it done. Nobody really pays attention to or knows exactly who's missing assignments/reads out there except for those people inside of that bubble. Everyone sees the qb tossing picks though.

All fans remember Eli Manning and David Tyree's miraculous escape, throw and catch play. The initial fallout in Boston was "how could Harrison allow this guy to just be sitting wide open like that...& then he couldn't even dislodge the ball from his freaking helmet!!" Later it was found that the play wasn't even Harrison's to make he was just in the vicinity......It was Samuels' man his ass just got caught jumping a route and Tyree slipped by him. Team game.

As far as what Lance said, i doubt any 1 of those players said they don't believe in him...he probably just read into that by a comment they made or didn't make anyway. i seriously doubt it was anyone on offense....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #67
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The outside world has been watching Matt Schaub play football for a lot longer than JJ Watt has. Sometimes guys can be too close to the situation to be objective about it. I think it's to their credit that they rally around their QB.

It doesn't make him a better QB though. I'm sorry to say that because we could really use a better QB.

While we're at it we could use some better line play too. They don't fix that it won't matter who we have back there taking the snaps.
Schaub is what he is, a decent quarterback who brings some real skills to the table but will probably never bring others.

I saw three perfectly catchable drops for first downs or touchdowns against the Patriots. He wasn't flawless but then again, neither was our defense, our play calling or the right side of the line.

Lots of gaps to address this offseason from the top down and frankly that starts with the GM.
Old 01-15-2013   #68
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The team rallied around David Carr too....so he's got that going for him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #69
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

The team is doing what they are supposed to publicly do. No need to fall apart and self destruct in public. Kubiak supported Carr all the way until the Schaub trade was announced. Kubiak supported Jones after last year's debacle until Jones was gone.

Want an easy way to lose your team as a head coach: start finger pointing and ripping guys in the media. No need to sacrifice team cohesiveness just so fans can have some cathartic release.

It is time for the Texans to line up a replacement, but no need to kick Schaub, who will be here for a while just for cap reasons, to the curb until the replacement is ready.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #70
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
The points put up by the Texans offense last weekend (28) would have not been enough to beat any of the other winning playoff teams. The defense isn't blame-free, but the offense isn't good enough to score on pace with the other playoff teams.
But isn't our defense supposed to be elite? Isn't the main reason we are in the playoffs is because of our defense? 49ers has an elite defense, and they held the elite-offense Packers to 31 (and one of those TDs were in garbage time). The Seahawks has an elite defense, and they held the elite-offense Falcons to 30. The Ravens aren't even an elite defense anymore, but they held the elite-offense Broncos to 35.

If our elite-defense was able to hold the Pats to at least 35... we don't have to try that onside kick. We kick it off and ask our elite-defense to force a punt, and give the offense a chance to comeback.

The offense CAN score on pace with other playoff teams, but the defense can't let other offenses score more than 40. I don't think that's asking for too much from your elite defense.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #71
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
But isn't our defense supposed to be elite? Isn't the main reason we are in the playoffs is because of our defense? 49ers has an elite defense, and they held the elite-offense Packers to 31 (and one of those TDs were in garbage time). The Seahawks has an elite defense, and they held the elite-offense Falcons to 30. The Ravens aren't even an elite defense anymore, but they held the elite-offense Broncos to 35.

If our elite-defense was able to hold the Pats to at least 35... we don't have to try that onside kick. We kick it off and ask our elite-defense to force a punt, and give the offense a chance to comeback.

The offense CAN score on pace with other playoff teams, but the defense can't let other offenses score more than 40. I don't think that's asking for too much from your elite defense.
Like i said in another thread, asking your offense to score 40+ points is alot..i don't care if you're air coryell or that 07 Pats team. The defense fell off big time down the stretch this year and it has very little to do with us missing Cushing or us just not being as good as we were last year like some have said. We are as good as we were last year on defense...our schedule was just much tougher than last years schedule and we faced better qb play this year.
Old 01-15-2013   #72
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
Schaub is what he is, a decent quarterback who brings some real skills to the table but will probably never bring others.

I saw three perfectly catchable drops for first downs or touchdowns against the Patriots. He wasn't flawless but then again, neither was our defense, our play calling or the right side of the line.

Lots of gaps to address this offseason from the top down and frankly that starts with the GM.

I'd never hang the drops on him. Those were indeed dropped passes not errant passes. It's what happens after the drops on the next play and the one after that where I just can't keep buying into Matt as the head honcho. The Casey TD drop was followed by a WTF? moment when he threw the ball over the heads of everybody and missed a wide open AJ. He's always gonna do that. Always has. The will is there I just don't think the focus or the athleticism is there to match it.
Old 01-15-2013   #73
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd never hang the drops on him. Those were indeed dropped passes not errant passes. It's what happens after the drops on the next play and the one after that where I just can't keep buying into Matt as the head honcho. The Casey TD drop was followed by a WTF? moment when he threw the ball over the heads of everybody and missed a wide open AJ. He's always gonna do that. Always has. The will is there I just don't think the focus or the athleticism is there to match it.
I'd like to add that Tom Brady had drops too (just like all qb's) but he made plays.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #74
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
But the AJ WTF pass doesn't even happen if Casey converts the easy TD the play prior. This is what you guys don't take into account.

The other thing too is that other qb's have these same WTF throws too. Watching Flacco and Manning the other day, Both had a number of passes that were high, thrown off target or hang-u-out-to-dry passes..the same type of passes that Schaub gets critcized for. The difference is is that their WR's were making plays on the ball and Schaub's more often than not don't.

Imagine Kevin Walter trying to make the play that Smith made on his 2nd TD reception right before the half....It's not happening. That play more than likely turns into an int by champ bailey b/c he was in perfect position.
Old 01-15-2013   #75
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
But the AJ WTF pass doesn't even happen if Casey converts the easy TD the play prior. This is what you guys don't take into account.
Exactly. We don't have a qb that is going to consistently hit guys in great position like that so we need guys that don't drop anything. We aren't going to get many opportunities like that so we have to capitalize because one or two drops for us are devastating.

On the other hand welker can drop 2 or 3 passes. Brady can miss fire 5 or 6 balls in a game...they have an offense that will afford then more big play opportunities.

We need perfect execution to cover up for our lack of playmaking from the offense. That dropped pass was essentially a killer because there's no way we could count on schaub to make another clutch throw like that in that spot.

We shouldve been thankful for that one on target throw in the endzone. Expecting 2 good throws in a row is just non sense.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #76
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'd like to add that Tom Brady had drops too (just like all qb's) but he made plays.
Well I'm not disagreeing with you or Herv there but the Tom Brady's are few and far between in this league. Brady is an elite quarterback in every sense of the word. All of that to say we may find better but I saw missed opportunities in every phase of the game so there are lots of places we can look.

I would love to draft the next RG3 or Russell Wilson and I would love to say we have a Tom Brady under center who is one of the best in the game. I think Schaub is decent, he will never take over the game but he can certainly be good enough. Lets just say I wouldn't think of replacing him as a priority, personally.
Old 01-15-2013   #77
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I'm not sure that I want to be correct.

However, I feel confident that my take will be right in 3 years...unfortunately. No winky required.

It's only entertainment. This season was certainly entertaining, and in the end, that's all we can ask for as fans.
I'd suggest alternative wording to the bolded.
And in the end, that's all we can expect as fans. This fan, for one, will ask for a Championship every year, but maybe only expect to be entertained.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #78
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I'd suggest alternative wording to the bolded.
And in the end, that's all we can expect as fans. This fan, for one, will ask for a Championship every year, but maybe only expect to be entertained.
I understand where you are coming from, but I do not even expect to be entertained. 2-14 taught me not to expect anything. That was not an entertaining year in any sort of way.
Old 01-15-2013   #79
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post

The other thing too is that other qb's have these same WTF throws too. Watching Flacco and Manning the other day, Both had a number of passes that were high, thrown off target or hang-u-out-to-dry passes..the same type of passes that Schaub gets critcized for. The difference is is that their WR's were making plays on the ball and Schaub's more often than not don't.

Imagine Kevin Walter trying to make the play that Smith made on his 2nd TD reception right before the half....It's not happening. That play more than likely turns into an int by champ bailey b/c he was in perfect position.
Don't you understand that someone is always going to drop the perfect pass you throw to them? That's going to happen in every game they play once or twice (even more than that sometimes). It's some of that "adversity" they keep talking about. Someone's going to hold on your TD pass, someone is going to fall down and make you throw a pass to a patch of grass or a pick to the other team. **** happens and when it does Matt doesn't roll with the punches and settle down right away. He comes back around in a few plays but it only takes one or two losses of composure like that in a drive to turn a TD in to a FG or the entire drive into a punt.

Sure those other guys throw crappy passes too. They all do. We've watched Schaub enough to know the pattern. When things go wrong he puts it in the ditch for a series before pulling it together. A lot.

The criticism of the WR's is warranted and valid. The problem here isn't just Schaub and it isn't just Kubiak. It's "Schaubiak". One of them has a death grip on the controls (Gary) and is the guy responsible for the state of our receiving "weapons". He's been here 7 years and the players we see on the field are the guys he wants. The other (Matt) is an athletic dinosaur. He's Dan Marino with far less physical ability and a lower football IQ.
Old 01-15-2013   #80
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
I'm sure most of them don't. The kind of guys on our team aren't the kind that are going to call out our starting QB in the media.

Hell, how long did it take before one of our guys stepped up and called out Carr? And Schaub's lightyears better than Carr.

I had the impression that AJ's body language said that he is sick of having a QB that can't hit him in stride. Then his reaction to the gross overthrow in the endzone against NE sealed it for me; I am utterly convinced that AJ wants a better QB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read