Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Teammates come to Schaub's defense

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Link

As the inevitable radio talk show discussion focuses on Texans quarterback Matt Schaub’s performance after the Texans’ loss to the Patriots and some fans wonder if he’s the answer, Pro Bowl lineman J.J. Watt dismissed the critics with the same force he swats away passes.

Texans Pro Bowl offensive linemen Duane Brown and Chris Myers also had Schaub’s back Monday afternoon, adamantly defending their starting quarterback from the peanut gallery with the same force they display while blocking for him on Sundays.

“Have they ever been in his shoes?” Watt said of the critics. “If you want to sit here and question our quarterback, that’s fine. But every guy in this room believes in him. We all trust and believe that he can take us there. We’re not going to listen to what the outside world says.”

Schaub was not available to the media when the Texans cleaned out their lockers Monday morning, but it didn’t take him very long to face questions.

Schaub, who does a radio show each Monday morning as part of the Texans’ broadcast affiliation with KILT610 AM, addressed the doubts during his appearance.

“If anyone out there, any listeners, have lost confidence in me or this team, I don’t know what to say to them,” he said on his show. “Everyone in this locker room gave it up as much as we could for each other, for our team, for our organization, for our city.

“Ultimately, we didn’t make enough plays in that ballgame to win the game, but we’re going to go right back to the drawing board, right back to that wall. We’re going to bust through it one of these days.”

Brown, who is in charge of protecting Schaub’s blind side, sees the criticism as part of a quarterback’s life.

As far as Brown is concerned, the entire Texans share blame for the loss in New England.

“Being the quarterback, people are going to take their shots,” Brown said. “It’s not on him at all. We had plenty of opportunities to make plays. He put the ball in some great spots. Plays weren’t made and we didn’t get the running game going as well as we could have had up front.

“So it’s not on him. Like I said, being a quarterback people tend to point fingers at him first, but he’s been a great leader and a great player for us all year. It’s definitely not his fault that we lost that game.”

Moreover, Myers said Monday morning quarterbacking “is the way this league works. (Critics) will pick on the quarterback and the head coach when things don’t go well.”

“If the ball had bounced our way and he would have had the same stats, nobody would have cared about (Schaub’s second-half interception that set up a Patriots scoring drive). … That is the way it works. Matt is our guy. He’s our team captain, and that’s always going to be. Whatever happens, as players on this team, he is our leader.”

Gotta admit, legitimate points made.

The view is different inside the whirlwind.

I'm glad they are sticking up for thier teammate publically. I'd like to know what they are saying privately.

Look, I myself would like to see a change at QB. I don't like his lack of mobility. I don't like his lack of arm strength. I don't like his runaway bootlegs.

But having said that, what happened to the freaking running game? It wasn't anywhere close to what it was last year.

To say that didn't have any effect on Schaub's play is ludicrous.

Look, I myself would like to see a change at QB. I don't like his lack of mobility. I don't like his lack of arm strength. I don't like his runaway bootlegs.

But having said that, what happened to the freaking running game? It wasn't anywhere close to what it was last year.

I'd contend that the defense regressed just as much, if not more than the running game did from last year.

Wilson didn't have much help from Lynch but managed to come back from 20 yesterday

“It’s not on him at all. We had plenty of opportunities to make plays. He put the ball in some great spots. Plays weren’t made and we didn’t get the running game going as well as we could have had up front.
I'm with big D.

Our team this year was not as good as it was last year. Last year was our year except for the damned injuries.

The thing about this offense is that the offensive line has to be working as a unit and it never really got together this year. The loss of Winston, Brisiel, and Dreessen was huge. We were not opening up the holes we were getting last year and that was stopping our run game and causing protection problems in the passing game.

We have to hope that Brooks, Jones, and Newton are able to get it together after another year in the system. I mean, it took a couple of years and a some tinkering to get the old line to work.

Link

Gotta admit, legitimate points made.

Uh..... have you ever been to Texanstalk.com?

“If the ball had bounced our way and he would have had the same stats, nobody would have cared about (Schaub’s second-half interception that set up a Patriots scoring drive). … That is the way it works. Matt is our guy. He’s our team captain, and that’s always going to be. Whatever happens, as players on this team, he is our leader.”

We've got guys knowledgeable enough to look beyond the stats & the wins. Matt Schaub issues have been raised since week 1, through the 11-1 part of the season & the 1-3 part as well.

With that said, I think right now there has been a landslide, kick him while he's down thing going on lately where Schaub has become the scapegoat. He's not RG3 & we want an RG3.

I understand it a little bit, while I didn't necessarily want an RG3 (I mean I do... but not really), I've been complaining for at least two years that the play is over when he leaves the pocket. Chances of a completion is low, chances of a first down is even lower. Chance of a score is nil.

I honestly don't know how Schaub can be extremely successful in this league if he can't adlib, he doesn't have a big arm, & he can't call audibles (we can argue this all day long, but if he can call audibles, he's doing a crappy job of it).

But at the same time, I'm patient. I've seen him make plays offschedule but don't understand why it's been so long & between that we've seen that guy. There's something going on behind the scenes that we just don't know, or just don't understand.

Texans Insanity 2013: doing the exact same thing over again and expecting different results. :texflag:

We've had different results. We've gone from 6-10 to 12-4. We used to get swept by the Jags, now we're sweeping the Jags. We used to get owned on the road, now we own on the road. We used to get owned at home, now we own at home.

We used to dream about the play-offs, now we don't talk draft until the third week of January.

We've had different results. We've gone from 6-10 to 12-4. We used to get swept by the Jags, now we're sweeping the Jags. We used to get owned on the road, now we own on the road. We used to get owned at home, now we own at home.

We used to dream about the play-offs, now we don't talk draft until the third week of January.

Yes, these are all good points. Hopefully we can keep it this way though. We're going to need some help at WR and another QB in the near future. Rick Smith needs to find a way to find a really good available FA WR in my opinion. These rookies take a long time to develop in many cases. I'm all for drafting one, but there is a high bust rate with WR's. I do like the direction that the organization is headed in though other then the fact that we'll have Kubiak for a long time further.

Oline man.

To think we had stopped the Pats 3-4 times I think after getting 3 points. We COULD have had a grind it out ball control game but we couldn't run to do it.

Our line has problems that needs to be addressed.

The opportunities were there last game but we didn't take advantage of any of them, even had a fortunate bounce on a onside kick too and couldn't get it.

Uh..... have you ever been to Texanstalk.com?

We've got guys knowledgeable enough to look beyond the stats & the wins. Matt Schaub issues have been raised since week 1, through the 11-1 part of the season & the 1-3 part as well.

With that said, I think right now there has been a landslide, kick him while he's down thing going on lately where Schaub has become the scapegoat. He's not RG3 & we want an RG3.

I understand it a little bit, while I didn't necessarily want an RG3 (I mean I do... but not really), I've been complaining for at least two years that the play is over when he leaves the pocket. Chances of a completion is low, chances of a first down is even lower. Chance of a score is nil.

I honestly don't know how Schaub can be extremely successful in this league if he can't adlib, he doesn't have a big arm, & he can't call audibles (we can argue this all day long, but if he can call audibles, he's doing a crappy job of it).

But at the same time, I'm patient. I've seen him make plays offschedule but don't understand why it's been so long & between that we've seen that guy. There's something going on behind the scenes that we just don't know, or just don't understand.

I agree with this.

Hurry-up offense is the thing nowadays and the Texans need to get with the times. It's obviously a bit unfair to the defense (I wish it was out of the game personally) but we seem to do so well when we speed it up and then we just don't do it.

Texans ground control plan is a good one when you get a good solid lead early...but if you don't get that the team has to adjust and play more uptempo.

It's time to get with it and work on speeding up this offense more.

The outside world has been watching Matt Schaub play football for a lot longer than JJ Watt has. Sometimes guys can be too close to the situation to be objective about it. I think it's to their credit that they rally around their QB.

It doesn't make him a better QB though. I'm sorry to say that because we could really use a better QB.

While we're at it we could use some better line play too. They don't fix that it won't matter who we have back there taking the snaps.

I guess I am one of the new bandwagon Schaub "haters," but I feel that I know what I have seen, and that guy's not winning any Superbowls without a perfect team around him (& then it would just be one). I don't think I "hate" on Schaub. I don't blame his effort or his "leadership." I blame his lack of mobility, which through no fault of his own is now down to just about 0, and his apparent lack of armstrength, or whatever it is that obviously makes both him and Kubiak have no faith in his throws of 30+ yards (I don't either). I think Matt is a great guy and a hard, hard worker, but physical limitations are physical limitations...

And, no, I don't think it will be easy to find somebody better, but I do think we better eventually find somebody better or we can forget about those Lombardi trophies. Good is good, but it ain't best in the world.

Texans Insanity 2013: doing the exact same thing over again and expecting different results. :texflag:

Exactly.

Kubiak just did his press conference and he basically defended everybody. The oline is just young and needs to gel, the defense just didn't execute, special teams played good and finally took to the coaching.

Kubiak is loyal to his guys. He's proven this. Coaches, players...

He's indicating that not much is going to change. But we'll see...

Probably Barwin, cause believing in Schaub is too mainstream.

I would imagine Danieal Manning or Joseph or Antonio Smith. It'd be a guy on defense who was tired of cleaning up spills on aisle 8.

I would then put tier 2 at being Ben Tate (because I think he's had it with the whole damn team, honestly), or maybe an outside shot at it being Andre Johnson....because AJ is nice, but the man wants a ring and he's entitled to be a little skeptical, IMO, even IF Schaub has fed him the ball a lot in the past.

Tier 3 would be Shayne Graham and Donnie Jones, because those two guys can only wish and dream that they had the foot that Schaub has. Jealous. LMAO.

I would imagine Danieal Manning or Joseph or Antonio Smith. It'd be a guy on defense who was tired of cleaning up spills on aisle 8.

I would then put tier 2 at being Ben Tate (because I think he's had it with the whole damn team, honestly), or maybe an outside shot at it being Andre Johnson....because AJ is nice, but the man wants a ring and he's entitled to be a little skeptical, IMO, even IF Schaub has fed him the ball a lot in the past.

Tier 3 would be Shayne Graham and Donnie Jones, because those two guys can only wish and dream that they had the foot that Schaub has. Jealous. LMAO.

Could be TJ Yates too...

Exactly.

Kubiak just did his press conference and he basically defended everybody. The oline is just young and needs to gel, the defense just didn't execute, special teams played good and finally took to the coaching.

I wish Kubiak would go completely off-script and say this:

"You know what, John? **** the haters. This is MY crew. They got me, I got them. We roll heavy. You understand me? You FEEL ME, dawg? Sure, the guys come over for fondu and a round or three of Uno. So what if I paid for them to get those letter jackets?!?! They look smokin' hot in those jackets. The chicks are all over them when they go to Whataburger after our walk-throughs."

And then he drops the microphone and holds his hand in the air.

Could be TJ Yates too...

Nah. It wouldn't be any of the JV quarterbacks.

I thought about it for a split second, but it doesn't fit. It would have to be a hot-blooded defensive guy (and boy howdy it sounds like it ain't JJ WATT!) who feels the defense was put into too many tough positions all season long.

And for me, that's Manning and Joseph and Smith. Those three guys I could see being a bit pissed off about what they might THINK was a screw job for their guy Wade Phillips and their guy Brian Cushing. Not to mention ALL the injured defensive guys, all those LBs there.

On the offense, it'd have to be someone who is already disgruntled and isn't down with being Texans Worthy. Ben Tate is likely getting traded, it would be HIM if it's a guy on offense.

ZERO guys on the OL are going to throw Schaub under the bus. Only AJ stands out as being a potential guy...but even then it doesn't seem to fit, IMO.

Antonio Smith is not shy to run his mouth.

That post was a crack at Barwin being a hipster. Hipsters don't want to be mainstream, i.e. like popular things or go with the crowd.

6k6z.jpg

That's funny, because they are hipsters in the first place because it is mainstream. They should just call it how-people-who-don't-look-like-pretty-boys-or-model-type-girls-get-onto-the-top-40-stations. It's just pop for non-beautiful youths.

That post was a crack at Barwin being a hipster. Hipsters don't want to be mainstream, i.e. like popular things or go with the crowd.

6k6z.jpg

I know. I know.

I ignored your humor and went straight for the jugular with my own list of suspects.

I used to have the ability to laugh at Barwin hipster references, but to be honest I'm just straight up unable to even see his name or type it without my blood pressure rising 30 points.

I want that guy GONE.

Hey, let's go back to 1998 when Houston didn't even have an NFL team.

Isn't it just NICE to have a team? Quit bitching about everything else. We have a team now!

I think you kinda' missed my point, but that's okay. :brando:

Exactly.

Yep. It's everybody's fault, it's nobody's fault. Schaub is wonderful and we'll get 'em next year, Tiger.

Whatever the problem was, be it injuries, coaching, players, refs, aliens, the Texans went downhill the last part of the season. They barely squeaked by the Bengals, and got their asses handed to them by New England.

I don't know whose fault it is, I'm neither a player or a coach. But as a fan, I can see they didn't play as well this last month. And as a fan, I can ***** and moan about it all I want.

Am I'm gonna. :whip:

they are inside the bubble. its only natural for them to defend a teammate. but the people speak the truth.

4-15 for the offense on 3rd down.

an offense that has 6 pro bowlers.

we all know the 2 biggest problems here.

Exactly.

Kubiak just did his press conference and he basically defended everybody. The oline is just young and needs to gel, the defense just didn't execute, special teams played good and finally took to the coaching. .

Noone wants to point the finger at the ONE person who took an Oline that was gelling quite well and turned it into water!!! NOR do they want to admit that trading Demeco ended up being a complete diaster for our D. He was the leader, the one person who could make them "execute!" PLUS, it only took STs 18 games to "finally took to the coaching!!?" Does that mean Marciano gets another PASS???? Geeeeeezzzzzz!

The sad thing is Schaub threw some passes where they needed to be early in that game. James Casey dropped a would be Touchdown pass on the first drive (settled for FG), and Arian Foster dropped a wide open potential first-down pass over the middle of the field that had big play written all over it on our second drive (we punted). If we make those two plays we may have taken a 14-0 or 10-0 lead and the entire attitude of that game is totally different.

Granted, the Patriots won the game in the third quarter, winning it 14-0. We still went to halftime down 17-13. But we left points on the table early in that game. I thought the team played incredibly hard in the 1st, 2nd and 4th quarter - never giving up and I was proud of them.

If only we had made a couple more plays early in that game and played to a standstill in the 3rd quarter, like we pretty much did in the other three, it was a winnable game.

iirc that was a popular phrase when kubes was re-signed too...

At the time it was correct, but that was pre-Wade. :winky:

BTW, I'm not hatin' on Kubiak or Schaub, but I'm ready to keep my post-season expectations low with both of them leading this team.

they are inside the bubble. its only natural for them to defend a teammate. but the people speak the truth.

4-15 for the offense on 3rd down.

an offense that has 6 pro bowlers.

we all know the 2 biggest problems here.
I'd still come back with pretty much the same team this September. We just need a few more upgrades (on defense), and a healthy Brian Cushing.

I think we can take the 1st seed in the AFC and kick some ass in the 2014 playoffs at Reliant Stadium. This is not an off-season to make major changes. I still believe in our offense. Having Ben Tate healthy and running like a horse again, which he did in 2011, will also help lessen the load for Arian Foster.

I trust the development of our young wideouts. DeVier Posey made some excellent progress late in the season and playoffs. Keshawn Martin needs to become a bigger part of the offense next season. He's a dynamic slot guy and has great quickness, speed and runs the routes well. The coaches under-used him this season.

BTW, I'm not hatin' on Kubiak or Schaub, but I'm ready to keep my post-season expectations low with both of them leading this team.

I don't know what came over me,well the beer, but his was the first time that I lost faith by early third quarter. Actually the first drive at half time and New England made their statement drive.

I said to my friend "the Texans are done." I won't hate on Matt but my feeling was "we won't win a Super Bowl with him at QB as long as he has to go up against an elite QB he doesn't have another gear

well maybe in 3 yrs, you can come back and say this was correct...pre robert woods etc.. so you and every other fan can keep their 100% record of always being right alive :winky:

Hey, let's go back to 1998 when Houston didn't even have an NFL team.

Man, I miss it, badly. I really liked not having a football team. The pleasure of just sitting in my chair and relaxing to just a plain ole good football game, the way it was really meant to be watched, was just awesome.

If McNair was up to moving the team to Los Angeles or wherever, I'd say the same thing I told Bud Adams. . .

. . . Don't let the door hit ya in the f'king ass.

I'm thinking I'm going to take my 2 Schaub jerseys (one is a Carr retread) and change the name plates on them. I think I'm going to go with "NOPE"

Man, I miss it, badly. I really liked not having a football team. The pleasure of just sitting in my chair and relaxing to just a plain ole good football game, the way it was really meant to be watched, was just awesome.

If McNair was up to moving the team to Los Angeles or wherever, I'd say the same thing I told Bud Adams. . .

. . . Don't let the door hit ya in the f'king ass.

Well just stop following the Texans and there, you no longer have a team.

I heard his interview on 610 today and he seemed completely in denial or he's just a smug bastard. That overthrow to AJ in the end zone was apparently a "small window" according to Matt Sloth! This guy refuses to acknowledge any blame on his part and I've seen this pattern in his interviews where he refers to his mistakes as "we could've done this" or "we called the right play...blah blah blah". I've come to accept that we're stuck with Dumb and Dumber for the next 2 years at least and that's sad. This team has hit its ceiling in its current state. The defense may improve a bit and that'll be our only hope going into next year.

Well just stop following the Texans and there, you no longer have a team.

Nope. Wish it were that simple, but if you're really a fan, you can't turn it off like a switch. It's like being condemned, stuck like chuck, and all that BS.

I heard his interview on 610 today and he seemed completely in denial or he's just a smug bastard. That overthrow to AJ in the end zone was apparently a "small window" according to Matt Sloth! This guy refuses to acknowledge any blame on his part and I've seen this pattern in his interviews where he refers to his mistakes as "we could've done this" or "we called the right play...blah blah blah". I've come to accept that we're stuck with Dumb and Dumber for the next 2 years at least and that's sad. This team has hit its ceiling in its current state. The defense may improve a bit and that'll be our only hope going into next year.

That play in the 3rd quarter where he escaped a sack on a bootleg,
then had no one in his face for 15 yards, he decides to simply throw
the ball in the dirt.

He still had an opportunity to set and throw to open receivers, but
he quits under a little pressure. Say what you want about TJ not
being as good as Schaub. At least TJ competed EVERY SINGLE DOWN,
and didn't concede any of them. That's the part of Schaub's game that
pisses fans of competitive football off.

I'd contend that the defense regressed just as much, if not more than the running game did from last year.

If not, more? YES!! The loss of Cushing was huge, but it doesn't bode well whenever you lose him, Bradie James is the leader of your defense with JJo being hampered by a groin injury?

Re: Teammates come to Schaub's defense
As they should!!!

CnD already suggested Schaub's possible regression!

Back