Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2013   #41
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
How did Kaepernick look in the preseason? Even after looking good in his regular season starts, many people were giving Harbaugh a hard time for making the switch, many people here as well.

I understand the love & excitement around him, he had a helluva game this weekend, but the bottom line is he hasn't done anything Alex Smith hadn't. Not until he wins next week, otherwise the 49ers made a lateral move.

I'm not for giving Yates anything, as long as Matt is healthy, he is & should be our starter. However, we're going into another season hoping he can stay healthy (whether you believe he's injury prone or not). Yates will more than likely get an opportunity to start, if he can keep Case Keenum on the practice squad.

At that time, Yates or Keenum can make a case for their future, just like Kaepernick did. If one of them introduces as much excitement & hope into our team & our fan base like Kaepernick did & Gary doesn't make the switch, then I'd be disappointed.

Until then, QBs like Schaub do not get replaced.
Alex Smith is/was practically allergic to throwing the ball down the field, and you could see it in the playoffs last year, and the regular season this year. Colin Kaepernick looked very rookie-ish last preseason, and this year he still didn't quite look like an NFL QB. You have to give Harbaugh props for making a tough decision and switching out the QB's midway through the season, but right now it looks like the correct decision.

TJ still has the possibility to make good strides in being an NFL QB, but the small amount of film we've seen of him this year, he looks like a guy who will maybe get you 200 yards a game and maybe a passing TD, maybe a pick who knows.

One good thing is right now the QB class is pretty much all lumped together which means that there may be a guy like Russell Wilson available by the time we pick in the first or second round. But the organization itself has to be willing to make that pick rather than something like another TE, or a WR or an OT or an NT or ILB or some other position of need we have.
Old 01-14-2013   #42
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Schaub. At the beginning of this season, he was playing great. By the end of this season, not so much. I don't know if it's his injury or what.

Yates is an athletic upgrade from Schaub but he doesn't have the command of the offense Schaub does and he's just not as good of a QB as Schaub is. Not yet, at least.

BUT.

After seeing Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, and RGIII, I want one of those. One of those kinds of QBs in this offense would be amazing.

With all that said, I didn't think QB was our biggest problem against the Patriots. We have to field a better defense than that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #43
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yates is an athletic upgrade from Schaub but he doesn't have the command of the offense Schaub does and he's just not as good of a QB as Schaub is. Not yet, at least.
Athleticism can't be taught. Offensive scheme can.
Old 01-14-2013   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
1. Don't know right now, but it was Matt Flynn. Remember him?
2. He sits behind an all-time great, so popularity isn't the question. I bet the Pats fans don't feel like their season is an automatic loss if he had to come in, especially after the Matt Cassell season.
3. Again with the popularity ... Saints fans are optimistic about Daniels, but not clamoring for him because they have an all time great ahead of him.

We have Schaub.
That's pretty much my point.
Old 01-14-2013   #45
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
We do not have a QB on the roster that could be considered the next dynamic QB for the Houston Texans.

And I feel pretty confident in saying that nothing will change in 2013. Schaub as starter and Yates as his backup will remain status quo.

I like Yates to an extent, but I do not feel that he is the guy that will elevate this team to compete with the New England Patriots.

Unfortunately for us, those kind of QBs are not grown on trees. We either find some retread vet out there or take chances with an inexperienced kid. I do not see Kubiak choosing either option when he's got so much faith in Schaub.
This /\ . "I can complain about my wife but it costs too much to divorce her and not sure if any FAs or young, inexperienced would be any better".

Facts: Schaub's base for 2013 is $7.25 m (guaranteed) + $3.5 m prorated bonus= $10.75 m cap hit. If not on roster his remaining prorated bonus is $3.5 x 4 remaining contract years or $14m cap hit. I'd aim for 2014 draft and hope enough underclassmen come out. If gone in 2014, Matt's cap hit is still $3.5 x 3= $10.5 m. We gambled, got excited for 12 games then awakened to reality. Like him or not, Schaub gives you best chance to go to S.B. We now need to focus on off season where we may have some cap space for FA and another good draft.
Old 01-14-2013   #46
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Funny how some of you are saying if yates was better than why would schaub still be starting and given a contract extension, have we all forgotten about the loyalty the texans FO has displayed ???

Not saying Yates is the answer but come on.....

Im not sure the staff would go out and get another person to see if they could replace Schaub but I do believe if they thought Yates was better that he would get the nod. They already know who is better and its not a matter of bringing someone in to find out.
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I like Schaub. At the beginning of this season, he was playing great. By the end of this season, not so much. I don't know if it's his injury or what.

I know it sounds like I'm arguing both sides & I am. I don't think Schaub is a great QB. I'm not sold that he can't be one.

I'm arguing against some of this nonsense saying that he's worthless & I'm going to argue that he was great.

The truth is, this offense didn't do a whole lot this season without the defense getting turnovers & setting them up pretty. Miami, I know a lot of people were ready to cut Schaub until the Defense turned the tide & the offense was able to capitalize.

This offense, Schaub included got boo'd at home several times for not being able to move the ball, much less score, much less score a TD.

I think he looked "great" in the Denver game, the Detroit game, & maybe the Jacksonville game. But after that, from New England on, we really needed him to be great & he wasn't. The Vikings & Colts Defense should not have been able to stop us from scoring 30. I don't blame Schaub for that, I blame Kubiak. But truthfully, Schaub rarely looked "great" this year.
Old 01-14-2013   #48
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I know it sounds like I'm arguing both sides & I am. I don't think Schaub is a great QB. I'm not sold that he can't be one.

I'm arguing against some of this nonsense saying that he's worthless & I'm going to argue that he was great.

The truth is, this offense didn't do a whole lot this season without the defense getting turnovers & setting them up pretty. Miami, I know a lot of people were ready to cut Schaub until the Defense turned the tide & the offense was able to capitalize.

This offense, Schaub included got boo'd at home several times for not being able to move the ball, much less score, much less score a TD.

I think he looked "great" in the Denver game, the Detroit game, & maybe the Jacksonville game. But after that, from New England on, we really needed him to be great & he wasn't. The Vikings & Colts Defense should not have been able to stop us from scoring 30. I don't blame Schaub for that, I blame Kubiak. But truthfully, Schaub rarely looked "great" this year.
For me, Schaub was playing fine (with occasional great games) up until the first Patriots debacle. From that point, he just didn't look like himself. His arm, which has never been the strongest in the league, looked like it got weaker. He looked like he was hesitant to make certain throws. He looked like he stopped trusting either himself or his receivers.

I don't blame Schaub for the loss to the Patriots, I blame the defense. You can't mount an effective come-back if the defense can't stop the other team.

But with all that said, if it was me, I'd be looking for Matt's successor in the draft. I don't think Yates is it (although it would be great if he was.)
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #49
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99925 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Promote him! What have we got to lose?
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #50
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates is not the answer.
Old 01-14-2013   #51
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Promote him! What have we got to lose?
What do we have to lose? A 12-4 record. I don't think Yates is the guy.
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #52
Victor B
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Victor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respected

For those saying that Yates isn't the guy or that Keenum doesn't have it either, my question is, how do you know? Yates has had minimal playing time to show what he can actually do. The guy was a 3rd stringer who was thrust into the starting spot. Of course he made mistakes, but how can you judge the guy on those few games? We have no clue what Keenum can do.

You can't just say, "oh this guy wasn't drafted so he can't be good" or "Yates isn't the guy, he made too many mistakes". The sample size for these two QB's is not nearly enough to make a decision.

We do, however, have a large enough sample size on Schaub to know what he is. We know what he can and can't do, and it looks like he has hit the pinnacle of his career. A guy with his age and experience is not going to improve his game if he hasn't by this point.

I highly doubt the Texans look for any help at the QB spot next year. We are locked in with Schaub. What I would like to see, though, is for the staff to allow Yates and Keenum a real opportunity at competition. Competition makes every one play better. Light a fire under Schaub's butt and let him know that there are 2 guys after him.

With Kubiak though, I doubt we see any competition at QB. We'll be 1 and done next year with Schaub running the O.
Victor B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #53
DRP
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 DRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respected

If Trent Dilfer can win a SB, I think Matt Schaub can. The team just needs to tie up a few lose ends on both sides of the ball and game on.
DRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #54
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor B View Post
For those saying that Yates isn't the guy or that Keenum doesn't have it either, my question is, how do you know? Yates has had minimal playing time to show what he can actually do. The guy was a 3rd stringer who was thrust into the starting spot. Of course he made mistakes, but how can you judge the guy on those few games? We have no clue what Keenum can do.

You can't just say, "oh this guy wasn't drafted so he can't be good" or "Yates isn't the guy, he made too many mistakes". The sample size for these two QB's is not nearly enough to make a decision.

We do, however, have a large enough sample size on Schaub to know what he is. We know what he can and can't do, and it looks like he has hit the pinnacle of his career. A guy with his age and experience is not going to improve his game if he hasn't by this point.

I highly doubt the Texans look for any help at the QB spot next year. We are locked in with Schaub. What I would like to see, though, is for the staff to allow Yates and Keenum a real opportunity at competition. Competition makes every one play better. Light a fire under Schaub's butt and let him know that there are 2 guys after him.

With Kubiak though, I doubt we see any competition at QB. We'll be 1 and done next year with Schaub running the O.

Do you really think either of the backups "have it" and our coaches just ignore it or other teams?
Old 01-14-2013   #55
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 23062 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm watching the video, and I see Yates making plays that Schaub can't. Watch the play at 7:28. Schaub would've been sacked. TJ escapes the sack and even gets the ball out to his receiver to gain a few yards.
Old 01-14-2013   #56
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I'm watching the video, and I see Yates making plays that Schaub can't. Watch the play at 7:28. Schaub would've been sacked. TJ escapes the sack and even gets the ball out to his receiver to gain a few yards.

Yates makes escapes that Schaub cant and yet he was still sacked at a higher rate than Matt was. He also doesnt know when to just get rid of the ball where as Schaub might get rid of it too soon.
Old 01-14-2013   #57
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 164415 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Do you really think either of the backups "have it" and our coaches just ignore it or other teams?
It's possible. I understand it's not likely but it's entirely possible. People get overlooked and underestimated all the time. Coaches stick with players they believe in or have a vested interest in helping to succeed.

I doubt either of them will be the next "Where in the hell did he come from?" guy but I don't think we've seen the best Yates can play and we know nothing of Keenum at this level.
Old 01-14-2013   #58
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 164415 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Yates makes escapes that Schaub cant and yet he was still sacked at a higher rate than Matt was. He also doesnt know when to just get rid of the ball where as Schaub might get rid of it too soon.

The difference is experience more than anything. Matt has it and TJ had none. He'll never get any if he never plays and the only way to see what he's capable of doing is to put the ball in his hands. We've had 6 years to see what Matt can do. Don't think there are any surprises left there.
Old 01-14-2013   #59
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
It's possible. I understand it's not likely but it's entirely possible. People get overlooked and underestimated all the time. Coaches stick with players they believe in or have a vested interest in helping to succeed.

I doubt either of them will be the next "Where in the hell did he come from?" guy but I don't think we've seen the best Yates can play and we know nothing of Keenum at this level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The difference is experience more than anything. Matt has it and TJ had none. He'll never get any if he never plays and the only way to see what he's capable of doing is to put the ball in his hands. We've had 6 years to see what Matt can do. Don't think there are any surprises left there.

Im more of an odds guy myself and odds are if either of our backups had it or even a glimmer of "it" we would see something. Way too many people got sucked in by Yates last year but as you said its not likely our coaching staff is just ignoring what Yates has. If its close Id have to think the coaches would know without benching Schaub and putting Yates in
Old 01-14-2013   #60
WG9032
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 WG9032 is a quality contributor and well respectedWG9032 is a quality contributor and well respectedWG9032 is a quality contributor and well respectedWG9032 is a quality contributor and well respectedWG9032 is a quality contributor and well respectedWG9032 is a quality contributor and well respectedWG9032 is a quality contributor and well respectedWG9032 is a quality contributor and well respectedWG9032 is a quality contributor and well respectedWG9032 is a quality contributor and well respectedWG9032 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm on the Yates bandwagon. The guy has that "it" as far as moxie and leadership that Schaub doesn't have. Plus physically he moves so much better than Schaub.

I think Matt has been saved by this system. In a more traditional drop back system he'd barely be any good, IMO.

Also, I don't think Keenum is even a consideration.
WG9032 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read