Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Assessment on TJ Yates

PockyAF

Waterboy
Video on his first start vs. ATL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDCPrSn6YL0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Barring a coaching change; I'm fairly certain this is who Kubiak is grooming to be Schaub sucessor.. hopefully sooner rather than later (ala Kaep over Smith).

Now, I don't have much of a good memory, but from the traits I remember from him when I saw him play was he had a strong arm, was mobile, good pocket awareness, and seem pretty smart.

His decision making wasn't the best, but he flashed tons of potential.. and this was all in his rookie year.

So, what are you thoughts on him? Future QB of this franchise, yay or nay?

I'd rather have him a QB next season than Schaub, I know that.

Yates played like a rookie last season, because guess what? He WAS one! I think his detractors still haven't come to grips with that. He didn't do anything last year that Tony Romo doesn't do EVERY year. (throw it up for grabs)

Now having said that, the trend in the NFL is moving to more mobility at QB. Schaub was slower than molasses even before he broke his foot, and even though he might not have been limping on it during the season, (I was watching for that) his drive off his plant foot didn't seem to be there. And his bootlegs, or his version of it, drive me nuts.

They need an upgrade. Not optimistic it'll happen though.

I'd love to see Yates get a real chance to be our future QB but as long as Kubiak is here I don't think it will happen. Yates has a better arm, better athleticism, mobility, more confidence, pocket awarness, and seemed to be fairly intelligent, ie: he learned our system quickly last season. What he lacks is experience. But we just re-signed Schaub to a 4 yr. contract and I expect that he'll do at least the first 3 yrs. of it here in Houston. As much as I'd like to see a change at QB, it ain't happening any time soon.

If Schaub would of had this talent around him 2-3 years ago i have no doubt he could lead us to a Superbowl, the sad thing is that this is not that Schaub anymore.

Yates has all the tools to be a great QB and the biggest thing he has that i like in him is confidence ! Its the way he carries himself even after a bad play fans can sense that and players around you can sense that. Yates as a rookie had more confidence than Schaub does as a vet which is sad but true.

Kubiak better give the kid a chance or figure something out, cause unless this team continues to draft as good as they have, with all the cap issues this teams window is closing rather quickly i'm afraid.

im at the point that if kubiak wont even make it a competition, i hope schaub finds his way to the IR next season.. its a long shot that we have found the next tom brady in yates, but sitting on our hands waiting for schaub to show up is just wasting time.. schaubs peak(with a top 10 defense) is 11-13 wins, division round fluff..

Video on his first start vs. ATL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDCPrSn6YL0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Barring a coaching change; I'm fairly certain this is who Kubiak is grooming to be Schaub sucessor.. hopefully sooner rather than later (ala Kaep over Smith).

Now, I don't have much of a good memory, but from the traits I remember from him when I saw him play was he had a strong arm, was mobile, good pocket awareness, and seem pretty smart.

His decision making wasn't the best, but he flashed tons of potential.. and this was all in his rookie year.

So, what are you thoughts on him? Future QB of this franchise, yay or nay?
Thanks for video Pocky! I remember this game. Make me feel much better today thank you.

Not buying it. Not after what I saw this preseason and during the short stints Yates has had this season in live action - remember the Minnesota game??

There's always a chance he makes a leap this off-season so I'm in wait and see mode with him.

I'd like to see us open the #2 QB job to Keenum and Yates and let them battle for it. If Yates is really everything you guys say he is, he should have no trouble keeping his job. If not....

In my fantasy world, I'd open the #1 QB job up for all three of them; let the best guy win. And to be fair, I'd tell them that on the day everyone is cleaning out their locker. That way all three get the same chance to work their asses off during the off-season and get ready for the competition.

If Schaub wants to keep his job, he'll know he's going up against two hungry youngsters who want his spot so he better damned well step up.

Here's my deal with Yates.

Sure, you can look at last year. Cheer about the accomplishments, of beating the Falcons, and the Bengals twice. But what about the losses? He barely did anything against a young Carolina team, who only had 1 win on the road, and then he could only put up 13 points against the worst team in the league, the Colts. If I'm correct, didn't they have a really bad defense that year too? Of course he went out early against Tennessee, and we won't count the Ravens game either, since it was the Ravens. Although, he did throw three picks in that game, and stared down Johnson the entire game.

But no, let's look at his wins. He had a couple of bright spots against the Falcons. Hitting a 50 yard pass to Johnson in stride looked good. Putting up 17 was pretty nice. Although, that victory really belonged to the defense and the fans. Defense held matty ice to 10 points, and the fans were loud as hell in that game. To say Yates won that game by himself, is just overlooking other factors.

Then you have the two games against the Bengals. For starters, the fact that we won that first game was nothing short of a miracle. It was awesome, don't get me wrong, but Yates and the offense couldn't do anything until the second half. He redeemed himself with that magical drive, so I'll give him credit for that. Aside from that, he was lackluster in that game. In the playoff game, he played better, but still made what could have been costly mistakes. Defense played lights out in that game, and Foster ran like a mad man.

Yates did what he needed to do, but when it comes to being a starter, he won't cut it. Now, you can look at last year and say he played like a rookie because he was. Sure, I'll take that. What about this year?

Well, in the two games that he saw action, he ran in a TD against NE and their backups. Aside from that, he had two turnovers in total. A fumble off of a blindside hit, and an INT against GB. Now you can counter by saying the games were a lost cause, but let me counter with this. When you're a backup, you do whatever it takes to get on the field and stay on the field. That is how you separate the leaders from the rest of the pack. Even if it is a blowout, or you're subbing for an injury, you do whatever it takes to get noticed in a good way. Play as hard as you can, and do what you can to bridge the gap. Coaches will notice, whether it is your team, or another team that is in need of a starting QB. Look at SF, or Seattle. the 49ers had just signed Smith to a deal this offseason, and was doing well. But one injury was all it took for Kapernick to get his shot. He played as hard he could, and look at it now. Although Smith is healthy, it is obvious who the 9ers are sticking with. Same with Wilson in Seattle. Big trade for Matt Flynn, and he doesn't even play a snap this year. Yates does not have that ability in him. He has little awareness, is mistake prone, and just doesn't have that sense of urgency.

I know we all have a special place in our hearts for Yates. I know after Schaubs performance today, many of you will want Yates to replace him. But that just isn't going to happen. Yates is, at best, a backup. He is not the future of this team, and he will not be starting over Schaub next season. Take it for what it is, but that is how it will most likely play out.

Personally, if anyone is the future, I have two scenarios on how that will play out. A). Draft a first round QB in the 2014 draft and groom him for a couple of seasons or B.) Keenum will surprise everyone. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me is Keenum unseated Yates as the backup next season. He would give this offense a new look if he could get some playing time from Schaub. He can run, throw bombs, and has good accuracy. His only issue is he is a little guy. He would need to bulk up a bit, if he is ever serious about getting a starting job.

Here's my deal with Yates.

Sure, you can look at last year. Cheer about the accomplishments, of beating the Falcons, and the Bengals twice. But what about the losses? He barely did anything against a young Carolina team, who only had 1 win on the road, and then he could only put up 13 points against the worst team in the league, the Colts. If I'm correct, didn't they have a really bad defense that year too? Of course he went out early against Tennessee, and we won't count the Ravens game either, since it was the Ravens. Although, he did throw three picks in that game, and stared down Johnson the entire game.

But no, let's look at his wins. He had a couple of bright spots against the Falcons. Hitting a 50 yard pass to Johnson in stride looked good. Putting up 17 was pretty nice. Although, that victory really belonged to the defense and the fans. Defense held matty ice to 10 points, and the fans were loud as hell in that game. To say Yates won that game by himself, is just overlooking other factors.

Then you have the two games against the Bengals. For starters, the fact that we won that first game was nothing short of a miracle. It was awesome, don't get me wrong, but Yates and the offense couldn't do anything until the second half. He redeemed himself with that magical drive, so I'll give him credit for that. Aside from that, he was lackluster in that game. In the playoff game, he played better, but still made what could have been costly mistakes. Defense played lights out in that game, and Foster ran like a mad man.

Yates did what he needed to do, but when it comes to being a starter, he won't cut it. Now, you can look at last year and say he played like a rookie because he was. Sure, I'll take that. What about this year?

Well, in the two games that he saw action, he ran in a TD against NE and their backups. Aside from that, he had two turnovers in total. A fumble off of a blindside hit, and an INT against GB. Now you can counter by saying the games were a lost cause, but let me counter with this. When you're a backup, you do whatever it takes to get on the field and stay on the field. That is how you separate the leaders from the rest of the pack. Even if it is a blowout, or you're subbing for an injury, you do whatever it takes to get noticed in a good way. Play as hard as you can, and do what you can to bridge the gap. Coaches will notice, whether it is your team, or another team that is in need of a starting QB. Look at SF, or Seattle. the 49ers had just signed Smith to a deal this offseason, and was doing well. But one injury was all it took for Kapernick to get his shot. He played as hard he could, and look at it now. Although Smith is healthy, it is obvious who the 9ers are sticking with. Same with Wilson in Seattle. Big trade for Matt Flynn, and he doesn't even play a snap this year. Yates does not have that ability in him. He has little awareness, is mistake prone, and just doesn't have that sense of urgency.

I know we all have a special place in our hearts for Yates. I know after Schaubs performance today, many of you will want Yates to replace him. But that just isn't going to happen. Yates is, at best, a backup. He is not the future of this team, and he will not be starting over Schaub next season. Take it for what it is, but that is how it will most likely play out.

Personally, if anyone is the future, I have two scenarios on how that will play out. A). Draft a first round QB in the 2014 draft and groom him for a couple of seasons or B.) Keenum will surprise everyone. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me is Keenum unseated Yates as the backup next season. He would give this offense a new look if he could get some playing time from Schaub. He can run, throw bombs, and has good accuracy. His only issue is he is a little guy. He would need to bulk up a bit, if he is ever serious about getting a starting job.

On the blindside fumble he was trying to make something happen even though the game was lost.

If AJ had been healthy the whole time Yates was starting i think we would all be seeing yates in a different light. When AJ and yates were playing he had a knack for finding him. Had some damn good play off games with yates throwing him the ball, and what did AJ do this year in the play-offs when he was healthier ?

My point is you cant base what he can do in the future off his rookie year with J Jones as him #1 and KW as his #2 WR and then the few times he came in when the game was out of reach. After how Schaub looked this season would it really be much of a risk to give him a shot ? Hell we only won as many games as we did cause the Defense and Foster but DEF NOT because of Schaub.

On the blindside fumble he was trying to make something happen even though the game was lost.

If AJ had been healthy the whole time Yates was starting i think we would all be seeing yates in a different light. When AJ and yates were playing he had a knack for finding him. Had some damn good play off games with yates throwing him the ball, and what did AJ do this year in the play-offs when he was healthier ?

My point is you cant base what he can do in the future off his rookie year with J Jones as him #1 and KW as his #2 WR and then the few times he came in when the game was out of reach. After how Schaub looked this season would it really be much of a risk to give him a shot ? Hell we only won as many games as we did cause the Defense and Foster but DEF NOT because of Schaub.

Really? Denver. Those two long TD passes from Schaub to Walter and Johnson had nothing to do with Schaub. Baltimore. The 43 points we hang on them had nothing to do with Schaub. Jacksonville. the 527 passing yards from Schaub had nothing towards that win. Chicago. The one and only TD pass in the game. Schaub.

I know Schaub had his bad games this year, but to say he was a non factor in this season is just not giving credit at all. It is very easy to over look things when you are angry. A lot of fans are angry with Schaub. I understand that, but when you take away the run game, and when the defense cannot stop a screen pass, what do you think the chances of us winning are in the first place? Schaub made mistakes today, there is no looking around that. But is it on him when Casey drops the go ahead TD pass? Is it on him when our defense cannot stop a nosebleed? Right now we are in our Championship window. We have a good 3 years left IMO. Schaub may not be elite, but it is not worth it to throw Yates in the season, and essentially waste a year. Right now, Scuab gives us the best chance to win. Is it a SB chance? Maybe, maybe not. But out of the three QB's we have, Schaub gives us that opportunity.

For the record, I do believe we can win a SB with Schaub. Everything needs to be clicking at the right time. The running game needs to be more of a threat to keep the defense guessing, and overall, we need to be more aggressive on offense. That falls on Kubiak, but I think we can achieve it, if we try. At the very least, our players need to execute better. I think that will happen. Then again, I might just drink too much koolaid, so what do I know?

Really? Denver. Those two long TD passes from Schaub to Walter and Johnson had nothing to do with Schaub. Baltimore. The 43 points we hang on them had nothing to do with Schaub. Jacksonville. the 527 passing yards from Schaub had nothing towards that win. Chicago. The one and only TD pass in the game. Schaub.

I know Schaub had his bad games this year, but to say he was a non factor in this season is just not giving credit at all. It is very easy to over look things when you are angry. A lot of fans are angry with Schaub. I understand that, but when you take away the run game, and when the defense cannot stop a screen pass, what do you think the chances of us winning are in the first place? Schaub made mistakes today, there is no looking around that. But is it on him when Casey drops the go ahead TD pass? Is it on him when our defense cannot stop a nosebleed? Right now we are in our Championship window. We have a good 3 years left IMO. Schaub may not be elite, but it is not worth it to throw Yates in the season, and essentially waste a year. Right now, Scuab gives us the best chance to win. Is it a SB chance? Maybe, maybe not. But out of the three QB's we have, Schaub gives us that opportunity.

For the record, I do believe we can win a SB with Schaub. Everything needs to be clicking at the right time. The running game needs to be more of a threat to keep the defense guessing, and overall, we need to be more aggressive on offense. That falls on Kubiak, but I think we can achieve it, if we try. At the very least, our players need to execute better. I think that will happen. Then again, I might just drink too much koolaid, so what do I know?

Schaub looked great to start the season but the Defense was causing all kinds of turnovers and constantly gave the O a short field. When the D stopped getting turnovers is when Schaub began to struggle and could not sustain long drives.

Also to start the season he looked more confident he would stand in the pocket and make the throws but it all started the first time we faced the patriots. Suddenly he looked paniced, he would panic when there was not even any pressure.

I agree we can also win a SB with Schaub BUT everything would have to be perfect around him for that to happen. I just dont like the odds of everything going perfect and us finally breaking through ot win it all.

Like i said earlier if we had the Schaub from 2-3 years ago then hell yeah we could go all the way even if everything around him wasnt perfect. But i did not see that player down the stretch and i cant explain why but it just wasnt there.

Schaub looked great to start the season but the Defense was causing all kinds of turnovers and constantly gave the O a short field. When the D stopped getting turnovers is when Schaub began to struggle and could not sustain long drives.

Also to start the season he looked more confident he would stand in the pocket and make the throws but it all started the first time we faced the patriots. Suddenly he looked paniced, he would panic when there was not even any pressure.

I agree we can also win a SB with Schaub BUT everything would have to be perfect around him for that to happen. I just dont like the odds of everything going perfect and us finally breaking through ot win it all.

Like i said earlier if we had the Schaub from 2-3 years ago then hell yeah we could go all the way even if everything around him wasnt perfect. But i did not see that player down the stretch and i cant explain why but it just wasnt there.

I agree with most of that. The only thing I would attest to is the fact that we scored on big drives as well, not just from turnovers with short fields. Going back to that Denver game, we went on 90 yard drive that took like 7 minutes off the clock.

For sure, this team was different over the stretch. To be honest, I would rather go through the "sky is falling" post that losing in the beginning of the season would yield, if it meant we would finish hot.

I do like our chances next year. I think our O Line will be better, and as a result, Foster will run better. I cannot explain exactly what happened this season, but all we can hope for now, is that this team learns from it and corrects their mistakes. Make next year even better.

Little tidbit. The Dream didn't win his first NBA championship until his tenth season in the league. The 93-94 season, to be exact. Last I checked, Andre will be going into his tenth season. Maybe we will see history repeat itself in a weird way. Twenty years after the first professional championship in the cities history, a new championship will be brought back.

The important thing to me, and I'm sure many other fans, was his non-factor stretch in December and these play offs.
Regular season is nice and all, and I do love when the Texans win those games, but I'd take a so so season with us barely squeaking into the play offs, for an outstanding run in the play offs.
Play offs are where it really matters. Everything else is just fluff.
I saw great potential in Yates, especially the regular season game against the Bengals to clinch our first ever play off berth. That winning drive and his incredible scrambling ability is something I've never see from the Sloth called Schaub.
Texans need to give Yates a legitimate shot. We've all seen Schaub, and for the most part, we're sick of him. Sure, there's still a few who will throw out all his incredible stats and say "he's a great QB", but most have seen enough. There's just no defending him anymore, especially after his collapse in December and the play offs.
Nice guy and I wish him the best, but I just want him gone already.

The important thing to me, and I'm sure many other fans, was his non-factor stretch in December and these play offs.
Regular season is nice and all, and I do love when the Texans win those games, but I'd take a so so season with us barely squeaking into the play offs, for an outstanding run in the play offs.
Play offs are where it really matters. Everything else is just fluff.
I saw great potential in Yates, especially the regular season game against the Bengals to clinch our first ever play off berth. That winning drive and his incredible scrambling ability is something I've never see from the Sloth called Schaub.
Texans need to give Yates a legitimate shot. We've all seen Schaub, and for the most part, we're sick of him. Sure, there's still a few who will throw out all his incredible stats and say "he's a great QB", but most have seen enough. There's just no defending him anymore, especially after his collapse in December and the play offs.
Nice guy and I wish him the best, but I just want him gone already.

I have ALWAYS been a big Schaub supporter up until the final stretch of this season. The final 4 games every game was a big game and he was no where to be seen. Thats the moments that define a QB and in big games he has always been a no show !

Maybe it's just me, but I think last year was Schaub's year and he got robbed. It's too bad because I like the guy, I just don't think it's goin to happen with him running the show.

Hell no on Yates as Schaub's successor. The last thing I want is to waste a few more years on mediocrity.

Yates looked awful in the preseason. Like he had regressed since the year before.
I won't complain if we upgrade the QB position but I don't believe Yates is that guy

If you can, go back and look at Yates in pre season.

It looked like he was playing behind a high school line with a bunch of new young wr's he was throwing to.

Guys make excuses for schaub because of the line and tj had it much, much worse in pre season. Kubiak even said it was hard to evaluate him because of how poorly the line was playing.

If Yates was that much better than Schaub you would see him starting this year, Schaub would not have received an extension and we would have been talking about Yates this year instead of Schaub. But we haven't and that is all the proof you need. There is no "elite" in Yates' or Schaubs' abilities, and that is what we are all looking for. Schaub can't throw accurately on the scramble or really make anything positive happen. These last 6 weeks have shown that very well. He really hasn't been real accurate with his passes those same 6 weeks.

This is Andre on Schaub's accuracy - :scarygirl:

Yates did a fine job taking this team as far as he could in 2011. This season I've seen none of that fine stuff from him. Him and Schaub both regressed this season as far as I'm concerned.

But, for some reason, I still like Yates more than I do Schaub. Don't ask me why, I don't have any kind of good reason for it, but I do. I like Keenum better than both of those two guys though.

Some of you guys are really really high on Yates and I'm not completely sure why.

Have to agree. Most reports of him coming out said exactly what we saw. A solid NFL backup. He had a couple of good outings and some rather pedestrian and bad ones too. More pedistrian and bad than good. His arm is not strong so not sure where folks are getting that one. He has an average arm. He is a smart quarterback though with a good pocket presence but at the same time he locks onto receivers like there is no tomorrow.

So I would have to say incomplete on this one. You have to wait and see. What he has shown so far is not franchise worthy unless you wish to be medicore. Having an elite quarterback helps but more than anything you at least want a quarterback in that second tier or someone that make game changing plays. At this point Yates nor Schaub sadly are this. Just have to see how Yates/Keenum progress or find someone else.

I'm also in agreement with this. I'm not sold on TJ either. In my ideal world we would spend a high draft pick on a QB to groom for a year or two. However, I don't see anyone in this upcoming draft that would be worth it. Then again, there might be a Russell Wilson type in there somewhere (I am not a draftnik or college scout in the least).

I'm also in agreement with this. I'm not sold on TJ either. In my ideal world we would spend a high draft pick on a QB to groom for a year or two. However, I don't see anyone in this upcoming draft that would be worth it. Then again, there might be a Russell Wilson type in there somewhere (I am not a draftnik or college scout in the least).

Guys will separate themselves from one another at the Senior Bowl, East-West Shrine game, the combine and pro days. There isn't a QB that looks like a slam dunk like Luck or RG3, but there are some interesting prospects.

Yates looked awful in the preseason. Like he had regressed since the year before.

How did Kaepernick look in the preseason? Even after looking good in his regular season starts, many people were giving Harbaugh a hard time for making the switch, many people here as well.

I understand the love & excitement around him, he had a helluva game this weekend, but the bottom line is he hasn't done anything Alex Smith hadn't. Not until he wins next week, otherwise the 49ers made a lateral move.

I'm not for giving Yates anything, as long as Matt is healthy, he is & should be our starter. However, we're going into another season hoping he can stay healthy (whether you believe he's injury prone or not). Yates will more than likely get an opportunity to start, if he can keep Case Keenum on the practice squad.

At that time, Yates or Keenum can make a case for their future, just like Kaepernick did. If one of them introduces as much excitement & hope into our team & our fan base like Kaepernick did & Gary doesn't make the switch, then I'd be disappointed.

Until then, QBs like Schaub do not get replaced.

Who is Rogers back up?

How popular is Mallet in New England?

How popular is Daniels in New Orleans?

Exactly. In places where the starter is getting it done backups are backups. In places where the fans can see the starter has shortcomings that hurt the offense the backup is viewed as a possible solution.

We have no say in this. It's all up to Kubiak here and no doubt his choice will surprise no one. Matt will get a chance to make amends and be driving next year barring injury. Still if that injury should occur we're all going to be watching Yates very closely and hoping for significant improvement.

I'd like to see the Texans take a shot at a young QB. I think it's time to start looking for someone to groom behind Schaub. I wouldn't sacrifice fixing the right side of the OL for that though. Get that taken care of so when we do throw a youngster out there we don't get him killed right away.

I like some things I saw from Yates. I disliked some things I saw from Yates. I hated just about everything I saw from Schaub the last half of the season. Yates is a young guy that we haven't seen much of. Schaub is a guy that we've seen everything we're going to see. So I really don't know if Yates is a real player, but I know I'd like to see him given the coaching and opportunity to succeed while the new draft pick studies a clipboard.

As great as we all are at making calls and running a football team there is clearly something that the coaches arent seeing in Yates that many of you are and if there was some question as to Yates even being close to Schaub we wouldnt have seen the contract extension we did for Matt

Who is Rogers back up?

How popular is Mallet in New England?

How popular is Daniels in New Orleans?

1. Don't know right now, but it was Matt Flynn. Remember him?
2. He sits behind an all-time great, so popularity isn't the question. I bet the Pats fans don't feel like their season is an automatic loss if he had to come in, especially after the Matt Cassell season.
3. Again with the popularity ... Saints fans are optimistic about Daniels, but not clamoring for him because they have an all time great ahead of him.

We have Schaub.

We do not have a QB on the roster that could be considered the next dynamic QB for the Houston Texans.

And I feel pretty confident in saying that nothing will change in 2013. Schaub as starter and Yates as his backup will remain status quo.

I like Yates to an extent, but I do not feel that he is the guy that will elevate this team to compete with the New England Patriots.

Unfortunately for us, those kind of QBs are not grown on trees. We either find some retread vet out there or take chances with an inexperienced kid. I do not see Kubiak choosing either option when he's got so much faith in Schaub.

Funny how some of you are saying if yates was better than why would schaub still be starting and given a contract extension, have we all forgotten about the loyalty the texans FO has displayed ???

Not saying Yates is the answer but come on.....

How did Kaepernick look in the preseason? Even after looking good in his regular season starts, many people were giving Harbaugh a hard time for making the switch, many people here as well.

I understand the love & excitement around him, he had a helluva game this weekend, but the bottom line is he hasn't done anything Alex Smith hadn't. Not until he wins next week, otherwise the 49ers made a lateral move.

I'm not for giving Yates anything, as long as Matt is healthy, he is & should be our starter. However, we're going into another season hoping he can stay healthy (whether you believe he's injury prone or not). Yates will more than likely get an opportunity to start, if he can keep Case Keenum on the practice squad.

At that time, Yates or Keenum can make a case for their future, just like Kaepernick did. If one of them introduces as much excitement & hope into our team & our fan base like Kaepernick did & Gary doesn't make the switch, then I'd be disappointed.

Until then, QBs like Schaub do not get replaced.

Alex Smith is/was practically allergic to throwing the ball down the field, and you could see it in the playoffs last year, and the regular season this year. Colin Kaepernick looked very rookie-ish last preseason, and this year he still didn't quite look like an NFL QB. You have to give Harbaugh props for making a tough decision and switching out the QB's midway through the season, but right now it looks like the correct decision.

TJ still has the possibility to make good strides in being an NFL QB, but the small amount of film we've seen of him this year, he looks like a guy who will maybe get you 200 yards a game and maybe a passing TD, maybe a pick who knows.

One good thing is right now the QB class is pretty much all lumped together which means that there may be a guy like Russell Wilson available by the time we pick in the first or second round. But the organization itself has to be willing to make that pick rather than something like another TE, or a WR or an OT or an NT or ILB or some other position of need we have.

I like Schaub. At the beginning of this season, he was playing great. By the end of this season, not so much. I don't know if it's his injury or what.

Yates is an athletic upgrade from Schaub but he doesn't have the command of the offense Schaub does and he's just not as good of a QB as Schaub is. Not yet, at least.

BUT.

After seeing Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, and RGIII, I want one of those. One of those kinds of QBs in this offense would be amazing.

With all that said, I didn't think QB was our biggest problem against the Patriots. We have to field a better defense than that.

1. Don't know right now, but it was Matt Flynn. Remember him?
2. He sits behind an all-time great, so popularity isn't the question. I bet the Pats fans don't feel like their season is an automatic loss if he had to come in, especially after the Matt Cassell season.
3. Again with the popularity ... Saints fans are optimistic about Daniels, but not clamoring for him because they have an all time great ahead of him.

We have Schaub.

That's pretty much my point.

We do not have a QB on the roster that could be considered the next dynamic QB for the Houston Texans.

And I feel pretty confident in saying that nothing will change in 2013. Schaub as starter and Yates as his backup will remain status quo.

I like Yates to an extent, but I do not feel that he is the guy that will elevate this team to compete with the New England Patriots.

Unfortunately for us, those kind of QBs are not grown on trees. We either find some retread vet out there or take chances with an inexperienced kid. I do not see Kubiak choosing either option when he's got so much faith in Schaub.
This /\ . "I can complain about my wife but it costs too much to divorce her and not sure if any FAs or young, inexperienced would be any better".

Facts: Schaub's base for 2013 is $7.25 m (guaranteed) + $3.5 m prorated bonus= $10.75 m cap hit. If not on roster his remaining prorated bonus is $3.5 x 4 remaining contract years or $14m cap hit. I'd aim for 2014 draft and hope enough underclassmen come out. If gone in 2014, Matt's cap hit is still $3.5 x 3= $10.5 m. We gambled, got excited for 12 games then awakened to reality. Like him or not, Schaub gives you best chance to go to S.B. We now need to focus on off season where we may have some cap space for FA and another good draft.

Funny how some of you are saying if yates was better than why would schaub still be starting and given a contract extension, have we all forgotten about the loyalty the texans FO has displayed ???

Not saying Yates is the answer but come on.....

Im not sure the staff would go out and get another person to see if they could replace Schaub but I do believe if they thought Yates was better that he would get the nod. They already know who is better and its not a matter of bringing someone in to find out.

I like Schaub. At the beginning of this season, he was playing great. By the end of this season, not so much. I don't know if it's his injury or what.

Yates is an athletic upgrade from Schaub but he doesn't have the command of the offense Schaub does and he's just not as good of a QB as Schaub is. Not yet, at least.

I know it sounds like I'm arguing both sides & I am. I don't think Schaub is a great QB. I'm not sold that he can't be one.

I'm arguing against some of this nonsense saying that he's worthless & I'm going to argue that he was great.

The truth is, this offense didn't do a whole lot this season without the defense getting turnovers & setting them up pretty. Miami, I know a lot of people were ready to cut Schaub until the Defense turned the tide & the offense was able to capitalize.

This offense, Schaub included got boo'd at home several times for not being able to move the ball, much less score, much less score a TD.

I think he looked "great" in the Denver game, the Detroit game, & maybe the Jacksonville game. But after that, from New England on, we really needed him to be great & he wasn't. The Vikings & Colts Defense should not have been able to stop us from scoring 30. I don't blame Schaub for that, I blame Kubiak. But truthfully, Schaub rarely looked "great" this year.

I know it sounds like I'm arguing both sides & I am. I don't think Schaub is a great QB. I'm not sold that he can't be one.

I'm arguing against some of this nonsense saying that he's worthless & I'm going to argue that he was great.

The truth is, this offense didn't do a whole lot this season without the defense getting turnovers & setting them up pretty. Miami, I know a lot of people were ready to cut Schaub until the Defense turned the tide & the offense was able to capitalize.

This offense, Schaub included got boo'd at home several times for not being able to move the ball, much less score, much less score a TD.

I think he looked "great" in the Denver game, the Detroit game, & maybe the Jacksonville game. But after that, from New England on, we really needed him to be great & he wasn't. The Vikings & Colts Defense should not have been able to stop us from scoring 30. I don't blame Schaub for that, I blame Kubiak. But truthfully, Schaub rarely looked "great" this year.

For me, Schaub was playing fine (with occasional great games) up until the first Patriots debacle. From that point, he just didn't look like himself. His arm, which has never been the strongest in the league, looked like it got weaker. He looked like he was hesitant to make certain throws. He looked like he stopped trusting either himself or his receivers.

I don't blame Schaub for the loss to the Patriots, I blame the defense. You can't mount an effective come-back if the defense can't stop the other team.

But with all that said, if it was me, I'd be looking for Matt's successor in the draft. I don't think Yates is it (although it would be great if he was.)

Back