Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The Texans will have the following selection slots in the 1st 3 rounds:

1st Round - #27
2nd Round - #57
3rd Round - #89
3rd Round (Unofficial Mario Williams compensatory selection) - #95

4 picks in the top 100. Though the last pick can't be dealt, I would trade the 1st 3 if the right QB prospect was available. That's how important the position has become.

Well, we went from 26th pick last year to 27th this year; we're getting better! :thisbig:

1st Round - #27
2nd Round - #57
3rd Round - #89

4 picks in the top 100. Though the last pick can't be dealt, I would trade the 1st 3 if the right QB prospect was available. That's how important the position has become.

Indeed Lucky. If there's QB worthy of trading picks, I am for it.

Not sure what leads you to believe that Schaub is in trouble of losing his starting job. As much asI would have liked to have seen him replaced three years ago up through today, it is not going to happen. Just deal with knowing that Schaub is going to be your qb for the next three years.

1st Round - #27
2nd Round - #57
3rd Round - #89

You're living in fantasy land, brother. Schaub is our guy, we're stuck with him.

There is no real "franchise" QB in this draft. I was all in favor of trading all of our picks last year for Andrew Luck. Would have set us back two years but in the long run we win.

We have reached our ceiling with Schaub.

You're living in fantasy land, brother. Schaub is our guy, we're stuck with him.
Schaub is on the roster for at least one more season. For sure. That doesn't mean that his eventual replacement can't be found. If you can get the right guy, Schaub could start the season and have the rookie replace him around week 10, ala Kaepernick.

And why are you hating on Fantasyland?

beyonce.jpg

The more I think about it the more certain I am that 2014 is the year to get a Qb for us.
Preferably, AJ McCarron in the late first.

Schaub is on the roster for at least one more season. For sure. That doesn't mean that his eventual replacement can't be found. If you can get the right guy, Schaub could start the season and have the rookie replace him around week 10, ala Kaepernick.

And why are you hating on Fantasyland?

beyonce.jpg

Kubiak is here, we're stuck with Kubes and Schaub for at least 2-3 more years. It stinks... but thems the breaks. The real issue we should be addressing is our right side offensive line (offensive being the operative word). If we're going to play TOP and ball control, we need to be able to run at will. Our right side doesn't allow that as of now.

Kubiak is here, we're stuck with Kubes and Schaub for at least 2-3 more years. It stinks... but thems the breaks. The real issue we should be addressing is our right side offensive line (offensive being the operative word). If we're going to play TOP and ball control, we need to be able to run at will. Our right side doesn't allow that as of now.

This is so overblown. They will be fine. This is a hard system to step right in and perform at a high level. It takes time. Remember how everyone wanted Meyers out of here his first year? Remember how bad Caldwell looked at first? Smith was a solid vet when we signed him. He didn't look so good at first either.

Everyone they played on the right side this year is really young. Basically all rookies. Next year will be their second year in the system and they will be fine.

This is so overblown. They will be fine. This is a hard system to step right in and perform at a high level. It takes time. Remember how everyone wanted Meyers out of here his first year? Remember how bad Caldwell looked at first? Smith was a solid vet when we signed him. He didn't look so good at first either.

Everyone they played on the right side this year is really young. Basically all rookies. Next year will be their second year in the system and they will be fine.

couldnt agree more!
i still think we need to draft a guard and tackle though, solely for competition and also because we have a lot fo possible FAs at those positions

couldnt agree more!
i still think we need to draft a guard and tackle though, solely for competition and also because we have a lot fo possible FAs at those positions

Absolutely! Im thinking a fringe tackle with upside. Someone that could be plugged in at guard right away if needed but with a little coaching could be our swing T.

1st Round - #27
2nd Round - #57
3rd Round - #89

If you're willing to do that & considering it's generally rated a poor QB draft this year, then why not make a run at trading for a QB? I'd start with offering a 2nd for Cousins @ Washington or Ryan Mallett @ New England. Both are backups to guys that are established starters, or soon to be established starter & will not likely see the field as a starter anytime soon. There's also Matt Flynn (I'm not sold him yet) that you could probably pick up for a 5th on draft day. I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of, but my point is the draft is a crapshoot & solid backups have shown whether or not they can compete (Matt Shaub).

If you're willing to do that & considering it's generally rated a poor QB draft this year, then why not make a run at trading for a QB? I'd start with offering a 2nd for Cousins @ Washington or Ryan Mallett @ New England. Both are backups to guys that are established starters, or soon to be established starter & will not likely see the field as a starter anytime soon. There's also Matt Flynn (I'm not sold him yet) that you could probably pick up for a 5th on draft day. I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of, but my point is the draft is a crapshoot & solid backups have shown whether or not they can compete (Matt Shaub).
1) I don't consider this a poor QB draft. There may not be the can't miss guys at the top. But there are as many as 7 guys with starting potential. The Texans will have a chance to take one, whether they stay put or move up.

2) Washington isn't trading Cousins with the RG3 injury. Mallett hasn't shown anything worth trading for. Flynn is in demand (Jets for one) for whatever reason, and will go for more than a 5th.

3) The draft shouldn't be a "crapshoot" if the guys making the picks know what they're doing. With Charley Casserly, it's a crapshoot.

Funny how Unger (Who got hurt his rookie yr.) Okung (who only played half a yr Rookie last yr,) Carpenter rookie last yr (Missed with ACL.) Sweazy, (Played DT in college last yr) Helped form one of the best OL's in the NFL this yr in Seattle.

So the fallacy is that it takes a long time to develop into a Cohesive OL. It takes Talent first and foremost and a great OL coach to coach up his players.

But dont let the facts get in the way of whatever the Texans org is trying to sell you. Fact is within 2 yrs if the Texans had a competent QB and upgraded the coaching staff from the top down they would probably be closer to a SB. Afterall do you honestly think the Texans can win a SB next yr as currently constructed? So every yr there is no change is a yr lost. IMHO Exhibit #1 Coach Joe.

But as BoB has said in the past change would be too traumatic. LOL I think this team as a group has reached their peak and you will start seeing a downward trend. Their only saving grace is that the play in the worst division in the NFL so making the playoffs and keeping the $$$$ rolling in shouldn't be a problem. However they are miles away from being a true SB contender. IMHO

If we can trade out of first and pick up another 2nd & 3rd, I will not be as disappointed. Still do not understand how we only got 2 comps.

If we can trade out of first and pick up another 2nd & 3rd, I will not be as disappointed. Still do not understand how we only got 2 comps.

Neither would I. I think the 20 picks after #25 are very close talent level wise.

I actually wouldn't mind mallett at all

5 picks in the top 125, with the mass exodus Rick needs to hit on all of them if the Texans want to remain in the hunt.

1st Round - #27
2nd Round - #57
3rd Round - #89

I dont think that QB is in this draft class .... :cool:

But I agree with the general principal.

Yep, I think this is the way to go if we can find willing trading partner. The way FA went so far, we need several promising rooks from this year's draft class and getting an extra pick by trading down should increase our chance to land more talents. I hope, our FO be able to land a lots of talented players or we may be into less than exciting year for us. I know many playoff contending teams eventually face cap problem but man, we'd just started in getting used to being a legit playoff team.

5 picks in the top 125, with the mass exodus Rick needs to hit on all of them if the Texans want to remain in the hunt.

Yep, I think this is the way to go if we can find willing trading partner. The way FA went so far, we need several promising rooks from this year's draft class and getting an extra pick by trading down should increase our chance to land more talents. I hope, our FO be able to land a lots of talented players or we may be into less than exciting year for us. I know many playoff contending teams eventually face cap problem but man, we'd just started in getting used to being a legit playoff team.

I'm sure the Texans will sign one or two FAs.

I hope they are better than Bradie James though, LOL.

At least one of them.

I agree. No more 3rd round fliers on a 6th or 7th round rated prospect or small school guy that takes 4 yrs. to turn into a backup. They need to hit on all 5 of those players.

1st Round - #27
2nd Round - #57
3rd Round - #89

is there a "right QB prospect" in this draft your particularly high on?

Nate I can tell you with certainty that Kubiak and Schaub are not joined at the hip. While Schaub is QB of this team Gary will say all the right things , that doesnt mean he's not thinking the same thing we are.

What Lucky said is true - He could be off the books after next season with minimal damage to the cap as far as dead money.

Nate I can tell you with certainty that Kubiak and Schaub are not joined at the hip. While Schaub is QB of this team Gary will say all the right things , that doesnt mean he's not thinking the same thing we are.

What Lucky said is true - He could be off the books after next season with minimal damage to the cap as far as dead money.

We are never going to agree on this topic, but we will know the truth in a couple years. I'm just not one to put up with either anymore both contracts could be off the books in two years :wadepalm:

We are never going to agree on this topic, but we will know the truth in a couple years. I'm just not one to put up with either anymore both contracts could be off the books in two years :wadepalm:
Yep, it needs to be Super Bowl or bust for Schaub and Kubiak.

agree on both counts. Of course is a special player falls to us we should jump on him.

is there a "right QB prospect" in this draft your particularly high on?
No. But, I would consider taking Barkley in the 1st or Bray in the 2nd. I don't think either will be available at that point. I could see Kubiak going for Glennon in the 2nd round. He reminds me of a young Matt Schaub, but with a stronger arm.

I would prefer a mobile type QB. Not a great draft for those.

agree on both counts. Of course is a special player falls to us we should jump on him.
Maybe. I get your point but here's my thinking; say Lane Johnson or Dee Milliner were to be there. Both are very good but I think I'd rather have the extra second and a decent third over #27. We just have too many holes to fill again. Now if Patterson WR or Cooper OG....

Maybe. I get your point but here's my thinking; say Lane Johnson or Dee Milliner were to be there. Both are very good but I think I'd rather have the extra second and a decent third over #27. We just have too many holes to fill again. Now if Patterson WR or Cooper OG....

If Milner or Johnson are there you pick them A top 10 type pick at 27, run the card to God'ell. Not going to happen though.

If Milner or Johnson are there you pick them A top 10 type pick at 27, run the card to God'ell. Not going to happen though.

Completely agree. This ain't going to happen but if it did you don't look a gift horse in the mouth, you write Milliner's name down and run to the commissioner.

Back