Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2013   #101
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: What moves do you think will be made if any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
So we have one poster calling for a change between the staff of the GM, HC, DC, or the QB.
In his defense, that long rant was just basically a butt chewing for this organizations management. I understand that McNair & his bunch are going to tell us that everything is ok.

But from McNair's stand point, I think this season should be looked at like one of those games where the team won, but the coach tears his team up as if they lost the game.

I think we had a good, but disappointing season. I think we're on the cusp. Things didn't work out for us to where we could win a Super Bowl like Green Bay, or New Orleans, or whoever wins this year if it's not New England.

The truth is.... we are not as good as those teams. This has been our most overachieving season by far. I think we have the talent to be that good, but for some reason we did not see that on the field except for maybe one game. I can't think of that game right now... maybe Baltimore, maybe Denver.

But it was rare to see this team operate at a high level on both sides of the ball for a complete game.

People go into New Orleans & they think, "OMG, we've got to find a way to outscore Brees.... same thing with GreenBAy, same thing with New England." When they play us, they think the game is winnable.

For us to get to the Super Bowl, teams have to look at us & say, "We'll need them to make a mistake to win." or "hopefully they won't bring their A game." Like many were saying here about both Green Bay & New England.

What do you think needs to happen for teams to look at us that way? Or do you think teams look at us that way?
Old 01-14-2013   #102
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm for trading Matt Schaub and draft another QB.
Let him battle it out with Yates and Keenum.

I believe Keenum will win the job.

If you want a guy who's used to air it out the whole game long, I don't understand why you don't root for Case.
He will sling it even on 3rd and 25 or 3rd and 18.
And you don't see the Cougars panic in those situations with Meenum under the helm.

If you want a guy who doesn't panic under pressure and can scramble around to make plays downfield, you might want to root for Case.

If you want a guy that is smart to take a shot downfield when he catches the defense off-side, or when he recognizes a blitz (and therefore a one-on-one opportunity deep with one of his receivers) you might want to root for Case.

Google him up on YouTube and check him out for yourself.
There were games like Penn St., UTEP, Rice, etc. on there.

See how fast the ball gets out of his hand and how well he normally leads his receiver.

Kubiak needs to give the kid a real chance.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #103
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I don't understand how majority of the people in here are blaming Schaub or Kubiak for our crappy finish this season... but then turnaround and say ILB is our biggest need? When was the last time we heavily invested in the offense during the off-season? Probably in 2008 when we drafted Duane Brown. If Schaub or Kubiak's offense is the reason we're losing, then why not invest in the offense during the off-season?
I'm not one of the people blaming Kubiak and Schaub for the finish of our season. For me, our biggest problems were on defense: the lack of a starting quality ILB except for Cush, the lack of healthy depth at ILB, the lack of a passrush except for JJ, the lack of run stopping that comes from the NT and ILB spots. So that's why I concentrated my list of needs on the defensive side.

I don't think we need a big influx of talent on the offensive side. I think we've got most of the pieces we need on the offensive side.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #104
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'm for trading Matt Schaub and draft another QB.
Let him battle it out with Yates and Keenum.

I believe Keenum will win the job.

If you want a guy who's used to air it out the whole game long, I don't understand why you don't root for Case.
He will sling it even on 3rd and 25 or 3rd and 18.
And you don't see the Cougars panic in those situations with Meenum under the helm.

If you want a guy who doesn't panic under pressure and can scramble around to make plays downfield, you might want to root for Case.

If you want a guy that is smart to take a shot downfield when he catches the defense off-side, or when he recognizes a blitz (and therefore a one-on-one opportunity deep with one of his receivers) you might want to root for Case.

Google him up on YouTube and check him out for yourself.
There were games like Penn St., UTEP, Rice, etc. on there.

See how fast the ball gets out of his hand and how well he normally leads his receiver.

Kubiak needs to give the kid a real chance.
You really think this guy has the chance to start in the NFL and take us to the next level? I just find it hard to believe we'd be that lucky. Must have lots of stuff he needs to work on before being ready though, and if that takes 2 or 3 years of scout team snaps and a few pre-season snaps then its hard to see him knocking the rust off again when it comes to playing.

Maybe one of TJ or Case is the long term plan, which would make some sense of the Schaub re-signing, because then a place-holder who knows the system is exactly what you want. Just find it difficult to believe. Get the feeling QB whisperer Kubiak is better at coaching his backup to be a good game-manager in case of injury than to lead the team to SB rings single-handedly. I've yet to see a backup under Kubes come in and look totally lost, yet I've also not seen him with a full-time starter who looked elite. Meh.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #105
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm not one of the people blaming Kubiak and Schaub for the finish of our season. For me, our biggest problems were on defense: the lack of a starting quality ILB except for Cush, the lack of healthy depth at ILB, the lack of a passrush except for JJ, the lack of run stopping that comes from the NT and ILB spots. So that's why I concentrated my list of needs on the defensive side.

I don't think we need a big influx of talent on the offensive side. I think we've got most of the pieces we need on the offensive side.
Seattle has a big time defense but found themselves 20 points down vs the Falcons. Houston was 18 points down the same day. The difference? One team has a dynamic player as a quarterback, non-plus wr's and a big time feature back. The other team has a better go-to wr, better RB and a non dynamic QB. Seattle almost won their game as they scored in a fast and furious manner...we had the long, slow ten min dink and dunk drive as if it were garbage time and the game was over when we fell behind.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #106
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
Dude, are you serious right now??? Martin sucks. Posey is inconsistent and is coming off a torn achilles. Jean is all over the place. We need another playmaker otherwise next year is going to be the same 'ol crap
I am totally serious.

Any wideout drafted is going to have to:
1) learn the playbook
2) earn Kubiak's trust
3) earn Schaub's trust

The odds are very, very long against us finding a WR that's going to come in here and be an immediate upgrade. It might happen but I wouldn't bet on it.

Right now, we've got 2 guys who were rooks and 1 guy who was effectively a rookie. We knew going into this season that we weren't going to get a ton of production from these guys and we didn't.

HOPEFULLY, these guys develop and next year, start to produce. Posey was starting to show some things at the end of this season (that PI call on him was totally wrong) and Martin has to improve his hands. He was getting open all season and just not making the catch (which resulted in Schaub not throwing to him anymore.)

I'd be surprised if Smithiak pulls the plug on our WRs at this point. That said, they might draft one early if the right one falls to us but I'd be surprised.
Old 01-14-2013   #107
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
We will now find out what type of owner we have in this town. If the same personnel go into next season (GM, HC, DC, QB, etc), then he is just taking the money and doesn't care about winning.
If he cleans house like that, then he's a complete and total idiot who doesn't give a damn about winning.
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2013   #108
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Seattle has a big time defense but found themselves 20 points down vs the Falcons. Houston was 18 points down the same day. The difference? One team has a dynamic player as a quarterback, non-plus wr's and a big time feature back. The other team has a better go-to wr, better RB and a non dynamic QB. Seattle almost won their game as they scored in a fast and furious manner...we had the long, slow ten min dink and dunk drive as if it were garbage time and the game was over when we fell behind.
Msr
Old 01-14-2013   #109
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74971 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seattle's defense also held the Falcons to one TD in the entire second half until the final FG which is pretty much the opposite of what our defense did. The Houston Texans and half-time adjustments have been bitter enemies for awhile now.
Old 01-14-2013   #110
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
& the non-dynamic QB was able to jump to a 20 point lead.

You forgot to mention that teams defense. Which is what we thought we had.

I like OD, but he's not Tony Gonzales. I like KDub (that's a lie) but he's not Julio Jones & our third WR (who is our third WR) doesn't get as much playing time as Douglas...

I don't think we need pro bowlers at every position for Matt to be successful, but I do think we need people who can stretch the field.
Old 01-14-2013   #111
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The difference is that our defense could not get off the field. In the second half, the Seattle defense shut down the Atlanta offense until the final few seconds... and lost.

You can't come back from a 4 point halftime deficit if your defense gives up 24 points in the second half. Granted, some of those points are on the offense but most of them are on the defense.
Old 01-14-2013   #112
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Seattle's defense also held the Falcons to one TD in the entire second half until the final FG which is pretty much the opposite of what our defense did. The Houston Texans and half-time adjustments have been bitter enemies for awhile now.
Watching our offense "come back" was like watching Mr Furly work the chicks in three's company.

Old 01-14-2013   #113
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25709 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The difference is also the Seattle defense adjusted and was able to contain the Falcons offense in the 2nd half, allowing the offense to comeback. Our defense didn't do that.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #114
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74971 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Watching our offense "come back" was like watching Mr Furly work the chicks in three's company.
Watching the defense "**** the bed" was reminding me of 2010.
Old 01-14-2013   #115
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
The difference is also the Seattle defense adjusted and was able to contain the Falcons offense in the 2nd half, allowing the offense to comeback. Our defense didn't do that.
ok, those slow huddles, dinkanddunk passes and the plodding nature of our offense is the defenses fault. I'm glad you guys are learnin' me up.

Old 01-14-2013   #116
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
& the non-dynamic QB was able to jump to a 20 point lead.

You forgot to mention that teams defense. Which is what we thought we had.

I like OD, but he's not Tony Gonzales. I like KDub (that's a lie) but he's not Julio Jones & our third WR (who is our third WR) doesn't get as much playing time as Douglas...

I don't think we need pro bowlers at every position for Matt to be successful, but I do think we need people who can stretch the field.
I don't know why but that statement made me laugh. And I completely agree. Our offense needs more weapons. Schaub isn't going anywhere so no point on us harping on that. But the offense can evolve and change around him.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #117
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
You really think this guy has the chance to start in the NFL and take us to the next level? I just find it hard to believe we'd be that lucky. Must have lots of stuff he needs to work on before being ready though, and if that takes 2 or 3 years of scout team snaps and a few pre-season snaps then its hard to see him knocking the rust off again when it comes to playing.

Maybe one of TJ or Case is the long term plan, which would make some sense of the Schaub re-signing, because then a place-holder who knows the system is exactly what you want. Just find it difficult to believe. Get the feeling QB whisperer Kubiak is better at coaching his backup to be a good game-manager in case of injury than to lead the team to SB rings single-handedly. I've yet to see a backup under Kubes come in and look totally lost, yet I've also not seen him with a full-time starter who looked elite. Meh.
I don't know why but teams miss on prospect all the time.

For example, Kiwitexans and I were saying that Gabbert will be a waste of a first-round pick (he even called Gabbert a bust pre-draft.)

The Jags could have traded down and still get Kaepernick; I'm glad they didn't.

The Browns and the Broncos could have had Russell Wilson, but they didn't.

Keenum's injury certainly was a red flag for all the teams.
Then he pulled a hamstring running the 40s at the combine and couldn't make a lot of throws.
At his pro-day, his best receiver, Edwards, was still battling from an injury suffered during the Senior Bowl week.
Keenum did much better, but Edwards couldn't help him as much as he could.

Injury will always be a concern with Keenum due to his size, but hey, we may be lucky that he develops into a good NFL QB.
He did tear apart the Nittany Lions in the Ticket City Bowl Game.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #118
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I am totally serious.

Any wideout drafted is going to have to:
1) learn the playbook
2) earn Kubiak's trust
3) earn Schaub's trust

The odds are very, very long against us finding a WR that's going to come in here and be an immediate upgrade. It might happen but I wouldn't bet on it.

Right now, we've got 2 guys who were rooks and 1 guy who was effectively a rookie. We knew going into this season that we weren't going to get a ton of production from these guys and we didn't.

HOPEFULLY, these guys develop and next year, start to produce. Posey was starting to show some things at the end of this season (that PI call on him was totally wrong) and Martin has to improve his hands. He was getting open all season and just not making the catch (which resulted in Schaub not throwing to him anymore.)

I'd be surprised if Smithiak pulls the plug on our WRs at this point. That said, they might draft one early if the right one falls to us but I'd be surprised.
Sky Sports actually did a feature on just how Seattle's WR corp. has improved this season and really helped them to where they got.

At the end of the day, both teams are clearing out their lockers right now though, one made a better attempt at a comeback against a far lesser team than the other. Neither managed to win though.

That Posey injury worries me. Smithiak gives me zero confidence in drafting WR's because in all the time they've been here they've never picked a true success.

The Posey/Martin/Jean trio have yet to get ahead of the curve laid down by Jacoby Jones IMO, and thats on coaching when your hit rate is 0% not simply down to the attitude/talent of the players.

Smithiak are lucky ****ers to walk in on AJ in his prime. Not too many franchises will be sat at 2-14 with anyone of that talent at such an important position, let alone for the guy to keep quiet and get on with his work and not request a trade at any point.

They said on the broadcast last night that Posey is the fastest guy on the team. He had a good game, and we need to hope that he isn't hobbled by that injury going forward. Martin and Jean have both flashed, I think both lost the confidence of the HC/QB early in the season with some poor drops but that happens. We need at least 2 of that group to become reliable though.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #119
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
ok, those slow huddles, dinkanddunk passes and the plodding nature of our offense is the defenses fault. I'm glad you guys are learnin' me up.
Those things that are bothering weren't the problem.
Old 01-14-2013   #120
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post

Smithiak are lucky ****ers to walk in on AJ in his prime. Not too many franchises will be sat at 2-14 with anyone of that talent at such an important position, let alone for the guy to keep quiet and get on with his work and not request a trade at any point.
Johnson, Calvin, DET-WR

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read