Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Does Wearing Wilfork Out Mean More Muddle Huddle Action?

417Texan

Waterboy
In this article by ESPN's Paul Kuharsky, the Houston Texans talk about wanting to wear down New England's massive Vince Wilfork.

Houston hopes they are able to wear Wilfork down.

"He’s extremely tough," Texans left tackle Duane Brown said. "I had one encounter with him where I pulled inside and didn’t really get much movement. He’s a big guy, creates great leverage, very smart player, can read a lot of stuff."

"When running away from him, it can be very important to get him on the ground so he’s not able to pursue and get tackles for losses. They’ve got a very talented interior defensive line, and can rotate in a lot of big guys. If you’re able to run the ball effectively for the majority of the game, it’d be nice to wear them down a little bit. We weren’t able to get that accomplished in the last game."
Of course, as has been pointed out all week, Wilfork and how the Texans handle him will be a big part of the running game's success, or lack thereof, on Sunday.

Brown makes mention of wearing the Patriots' defense down a little bit, but the key word in his quote might be the part where he says New England can rotate in a lot of big guys. If the rotation is an issue and wanting to wear down Wilfork is a goal, perhaps Houston's best bet can be found in its early season muddle huddle.

For those who don't recall, the muddle, or sugar, huddle is where Houston's offense doesn't really get into a huddle and sort of quickens the tempo. It's not exactly a no-huddle either, but it keeps Houston in control of the tempo and creates uncertainty for opponents as far as changing personnel and rotating people in.

The Texans were quite successful with the muddle huddle earlier this season, keeping Jacksonville and Denver, as those articles linked to, off kilter and allowing the offense to dictate the match-ups, tempo, and personnel. If the goal is to wear down a big man, throw off their rotations, and take the fight to New England, a new wrinkle in this match-up will be the muddle huddle, especially if those first 15 plays are scripted and ready to go.

So, I ask you masters of strategy this: Is the muddle huddle the right kind of change for Sunday?

Texans vs Patriots coverage | Pats Pulpit

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/1...ing-vince-wilfork-out-mean-more-muddle-huddle

Muddle Huddle success will be difficult if Gillette Stadium is loud. Texans will need start to fast to quiet the crowd. Otherwise trying the Muddle Huddle with a loud crowd will lead to false starts which will kill our drives.

I hope we can wear him down some by running more outside zones, left, right, left, left, right, left, right, left, left, right, and so on ! :pirate:

I think a nicely constructed delayed handoff can work for us.

You funnel Wilfork into whichever gap you can, then you let Foster read-and-react as Wilfork goes shooting by. Take advantage of Wilfork's need to get into the backfield, let him go right by the play itself.

Teams have done this to JJ Watt some. It works.

I think a nicely constructed delayed handoff can work for us.

You funnel Wilfork into whichever gap you can, then you let Foster read-and-react as Wilfork goes shooting by. Take advantage of Wilfork's need to get into the backfield, let him go right by the play itself.

Teams have done this to JJ Watt some. It works.

It would have worked last time had D. Brown not try to play both gaps, or maybe he was trying to get to the other shoulder for an outside run?

I don't know, but it certainly looks like our back was trying to go inside at first ?

We need to take a page from the Patriots play book & go with the no huddle when Wilfork is not on the field, to keep him off the field.

Back