Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-06-2013   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Doug Marrone new Bills head coach

Quote:
Doug Marrone has agreed to leave Syracuse and become the coach of the Buffalo Bills, league sources told ESPN on Sunday morning.

Marrone replaces Chan Gailey, who was fired after going 16-32 over three seasons. Marrone has yet to sign a deal.
The 48-year-old Marrone went 25-25 in four seasons at Syracuse, turning around a program that had gone 26-57 over the previous seven years.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88...ge-sources-say
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doug Marrone new Bills head coach

Really? Syracuse plays football?
Old 01-06-2013   #3
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Uh wtf? You have Lovie Smith who is a highly-respected coach that has fielded good defenses and has gotten production out of cast-offs and mid-round picks but no...you rather go with a mediocre college coach.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #4
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 29181 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Uh wtf? You have Lovie Smith who is a highly-respected coach that has fielded good defenses and has gotten production out of cast-offs and mid-round picks but no...you rather go with a mediocre college coach (who lives down the street).
just wanted to add on to the continuing frugality of the Bills.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #5
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re View Post
just wanted to add on to the continuing frugality of the Bills.
That is the first thing that I thought too. Didn't want to pay for a 'real' NFL coach.
Old 01-06-2013   #6
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Narrows down Chip Kelley's options, so he's more likely to go to Cleveland!
Old 01-06-2013   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Narrows down Chip Kelley's options, so he's more likely to go to Cleveland!
Apparently it's either Philly or he goes back to Oregon. Cleveland is out of the question from what I've read.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2013   #8
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Congratulations Mario Williams.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #9
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

More than a few "insiders" think this was a good hire.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #10
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

More breaking news..Bills hired a local Albany High School coach to be their D Coordinator. He was 6-6 at St. Pius X this year......... .

If you are going to spend all that money on your D, you might as well get someone to coach them. This guy sounds like a Gailey clone to me.
Old 01-07-2013   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
More breaking news..Bills hired a local Albany High School coach to be their D Coordinator. He was 6-6 at St. Pius X this year......... .

If you are going to spend all that money on your D, you might as well get someone to coach them. This guy sounds like a Gailey clone to me.
I didn't know that he was the Saints offensive coordinator before last season. Knowing that, I don't think it's a terrible hire after all. I just assumed they cheaped out on some no-name random college coach. But he does have NFL coaching credentials.

Thanks to Premier
Old 01-07-2013   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Uh wtf? You have Lovie Smith who is a highly-respected coach that has fielded good defenses and has gotten production out of cast-offs and mid-round picks but no...you rather go with a mediocre college coach.
If I'm looking at San Francisco, Seattle, or Indianapolis & know that I'm going to have a lot of young players on my roster soon...

yeah, I'm going to get a college coach. Someone who knows how to relate to these young'ns & can get them to produce quick.

I don't know about the mediocre college part.... probably would have gone with that guy in college station who seems to have a hot hand.
Old 01-07-2013   #14
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I didn't know that he was the Saints offensive coordinator before last season. Knowing that, I don't think it's a terrible hire after all. I just assumed they cheaped out on some no-name random college coach. But he does have NFL coaching credentials.
Well, everyone can think what they want about it (I actually think it's a pretty good hire), but for the record, he left the Saints after the '08 season (wasn't there during the Super Bowl season). This past year was his fourth as Syracuse HC.
Old 01-07-2013   #15
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72216 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
More than a few "insiders" think this was a good hire.
This is a better hire than most realize. Those 'name' coaches include two fired coaches that blew much better rosters, especially Lovie Smith. Kelly is already staying put and I doubt Buffalo was ever in the running there. Whisenhunt sure did wonders with QB after Warner and the team badly regressed.

Marrone has NFL pedigree working with organizations (NO) that turned things around and made a terrible college program bowl-bound the last two years.

Sometimes the best hires are the least obvious. Mike Tomlin immediately comes to mind.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #16
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Well, everyone can think what they want about it (I actually think it's a pretty good hire), but for the record, he left the Saints after the '08 season (wasn't there during the Super Bowl season). This past year was his fourth as Syracuse HC.
Whoops. Not sure why I thought he was only at Syracuse for one year. Either way, it does seem like a solid hire after all. The Saints didn't make the playoffs in 07 or 08 but I don't think that's his fault. Their defense was terrible those seasons, IIRC.

Thanks to Premier

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read