Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-14-2005   #41
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Not doing anything? It's June! etc.

The Texans are doing things. They've practiced Wand at guard for the stated purpose of helping him react faster and learn to use his hands better to fight the D-lineman. This is one small example on how to take a "project" and help him reach his potential. It is how coaches improve the players they have.

I'd like to see the other optons some of you see so clearly. Who was the college guy we should have drafted who would come in and been an immediate impact player? Reading some of these posts, it sounds like there must have been several.

Which of the free agents should we have picked up? Those who are better now and for the next few years? Cast-offs from other teams don't include a lot of stud left tackles. Again, I must be missing some players.

Pace would have been nice, but we offfered him way to much money and still lost him. That contract would have handicapped the team, and we would have had to cut him in about 3 years because of it anyway.

What's the quick fix with the Texans have missed? Spell it out!
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005   #42
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 48171 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofb
This is the second offseason in a row that we are making significant changes in our blocking schemes according to the Texans. Until those changes start to reduce the number of sacks and give Carr more time to throw, then keep changing them all you want and that plus a quarter will get you a cup of coffee.
No it won't.

cac:
Old 06-14-2005   #43
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I personally like the versatlity of our line, and Verba fits in with that ability to play multiple positions across the line. Its obvious we are gonna try and go the Steelers route and have a massive running attack and our line is very well suited to that. If Davis can stay healthy he could really break out this year, which he needs to because its a contract year for him.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005   #44
Zac
Rookie

The Texans tried to upgrade the Offensive line, and made a run for Pace. It wasn't meant to be. If that would have worked out, the Texans would be looking real good.

The picks haven't worked out in the offensive line except for Pitt and Wand. And Wand is such a question mark. The past couple of years the Texans went and got Bosseli, Mckinney, Wiggert, and Wade. The Texans are trying. Who else was there whom the Texans could have gotten?

The Offensive line we've got is the line that will have to protect Carr. The talent is there, not pro bowl talent, but average NFL guys. Hopefully, they can put it together this year. Before last year, it appeared they were going to get their act together.

The Right Side is set. Pitt and Mckinney should solidify the Left side. And now the question is to fit the Right guy at Center.
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #45
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

This is the line I want for the SEASON

RT - WADE
RG - WEIGERT
C - PITTS
LG - WAND
LT - Take your pick (or sign what little is left)

or

RT - WADE
RG - WEIGERT
C - is there anyone ? Can Washington do it ?
LG - WAND
LT - PITTS

I don't know if Mckinney can play LT, but, I'm sure that he's better at LT or LG then C.

I keep reading that WADE would be a bad fit on the left side....would he be worse than WAND was ? (looking for opinions on that)

Since it does no good saying who the TEXANS should've drafted, I figured I might as well try to find the best fit for each lineman. Especially since the coaching staff seems to be taking a couple years to figure it out themselves.
For example - Mckinney and Wand seem to have played in the wrong positions for their talents, the last few years. Hey, not that that's a bad thing, since we had the holes that needed filling, but, hopefully by now, they can figure out who is best at what position.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #46
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

We might as well give it a try . It couldnt get any worse .
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #47
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I don't know where this idea came from that ANYONE other than Wand can play LT. And throwing Pitts in at C, switching everything around just assuming it will be better would be pretty reckless. Here's the line I expect we will see -

Wand, Pitts, McKinney, Wiegert, Wade.

Looks familiar doesn't it? Sorry to all those that think any random sumo combination will lead us to the super bowl.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-15-2005   #48
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
I don't know where this idea came from that ANYONE other than Wand can play LT. And throwing Pitts in at C, switching everything around just assuming it will be better would be pretty reckless. Here's the line I expect we will see -

Wand, Pitts, McKinney, Wiegert, Wade.

Looks familiar doesn't it? Sorry to all those that think any random sumo combination will lead us to the super bowl.
Barring injury or some unexpected item, I would be surprised if we used anything other than that group.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #49
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Well I think that we can all agree that the only two positions on the o line that are set in stone are RG and RT. When Wiegert is healthly he can hold his own and Wade will only get better than he is now as time goes on. This leaves LT, LG and C as the three positions that are "up for grabs," and Pitts will most likely be the starting LG for the rest of his career as a texans unless someone is injuried. Wand has one year left on his rookie contract I think and this year will make or break him, consisdering the amount of talent in next years draft at LT. This leaves McKinney, who has never had anyone to push him to get better. Sadly for Carr the Texan braintrust seems to like the idea of McKinney as the starting center, which means that he will be that for the rest of his contract. While the o line does have depth, its not good enough to push any of the starters for playing time. All the problems can be fixed but considering how much of a beating Carrs has taken, time is running out.
Old 06-16-2005   #50
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

Just don't let Mckinney play Center, that's all I'm saying....Our line instantly improves if he isn't playing Center........put him, Left Guard, or even Left Tackle, since he supposedly has good feet and quickness.........I say put him as backup LG......but, just don't put him at Center, cuz he's proven that he sucks at it. Why give him another year to show us what we already know?

And the fans that think the line is going to be the exact same lineup this year, well, I hope your wrong, since the coaching staff is finally realizing that some of the guys are playing in the wrong positions. If the coaches thought that the guys were in their best spots on the line, then they wouldn't be playing musical chairs with the LT, LG, C spots..........now, would they.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #51
wrestler4life
Veteran

It is so sad that our weakest positions on the line are the most important for Carr. What do you think that is telling him?
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #52
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler4life
It is so sad that our weakest positions on the line are the most important for Carr. What do you think that is telling him?
Im not sure he minds anymore. Everytime he gets sacked, little dollar singns appear in his eyes. And the Texans will have to pay for everyone come contract time.

But seriously, I dont think he thinks that the Texans dont give a flip about protecting him. Not everybody can have a Pace/Jones/Ogden.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #53
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Im not sure he minds anymore. Everytime he gets sacked, little dollar singns appear in his eyes. And the Texans will have to pay for everyone come contract time.

But seriously, I dont think he thinks that the Texans dont give a flip about protecting him. Not everybody can have a Pace/Jones/Ogden.
Very true, but why are other teams (i.e. the more elite teams) having such problems solidifying their lines? I think our line is doing the best they can, and that they will get better, but they are going to need to know where they are going to be and have time to work at it together before the season starts or it is going to be one big shart out on the field.
Old 06-16-2005   #54
cadahnic
All Pro

Pitts, Wand, McKinney, Weigert, Wade. This is our best line by far. Wand is a quality player, but he is not an LT. Pitts can play LT and he will be far more consistent this year than Wand. Don't really understand the beef with McKinney since he has started in this league for years so he must do alot more things right than wrong. I mean if you know about football and offensive lines you would see that McKinney a smart and cagey veteran is our best option at C until we find a better replacement. Look for next years draft to bring in a new LT that will play LG until he is ready. In the NFL you put franchise LT at right tackle or left guard to teach them and they become better for it. Hell Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, and Jonathan Ogden did not start out at LT and they are the best in the biz right now. Calm down fans Pitt will handle the LT, Wand will improve alot at LG, and McKinney will have a much better year without the nagging injuries to his shoulder and knee. I really wish Vinny would get on the mic and educate these people about football... Vinny holla at ya boy!!
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #55
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303257 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
Hell Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, and Jonathan Ogden did not start out at LT and they are the best in the biz right now.
FYI--Ogden did start his rookie year at LG, but Pace's 9 starts as a rookie came at LT and Jones earned the LT spot in training camp starting 12 games at LT, missing 4 with an ankle injury.
Old 06-16-2005   #56
geofb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler4life
Good point. And heaven forbid Carr should get hurt. For those saying it was a good idea to hold off drafting an O-lineman this year because we should wait until the better crop next year (which is a joke anyway...no one knows what next years crop will bring a year from now), wouldn't it be the ultimate fiasco if, because of our dithering with the O-line, Carr were to suffer a career ending injury because of our high number of sacks. But, hey, no problem. At least we could improve the line in 2006 to block for Ragone! Wouldn't that be wonderful.
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #57
wrestler4life
Veteran

Old 06-16-2005   #58
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Good point. And heaven forbid Carr should get hurt. For those saying it was a good idea to hold off drafting an O-lineman this year because we should wait until the better crop next year (which is a joke anyway...no one knows what next years crop will bring a year from now), wouldn't it be the ultimate fiasco if, because of our dithering with the O-line, Carr were to suffer a career ending injury because of our high number of sacks. But, hey, no problem. At least we could improve the line in 2006 to block for Ragone! Wouldn't that be wonderful.
It's not like they're waiting for next year (even though it should be better) for an O-linemen. It's just that Barron wasn't worth the $$ in which we were chosing. Maybe we shoulda/woulda/coulda went down further and got Barnes but noone else wanted to move up cuz this last draft class wasn't that good and ALL the teams knew it. Besides Barnes is a jag now so he instantly sux. Next year Leinart will come out, and some teams (Miami, Clev) that needed a QB passed on Rogers knowing that maybe they'll have a chance @ him (given that they're the worst team in the NFL cuz Leinart should go #1 overall).
And some of it (the sax and the knockdowns) lyes on Carr for not getting more creative with the ball on certain occasions. Hence all the new timing routes and fewer option pass plays.
Old 06-16-2005   #59
wrestler4life
Veteran

Creativity in a young QB (unless you can run like Vick) leads to higher INT's
Old 06-16-2005   #60
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
For those saying it was a good idea to hold off drafting an O-lineman this year because we should wait until the better crop next year (which is a joke anyway...no one knows what next years crop will bring a year from now.
Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this one. All one has to do is look at the Juniors in college and then they can see who will be seniors next year. Also there are people who get paid to know what next years crop will bring they are called scouts and gm. I feel very confident in knowing that my team (the Texans) are being run by the best in the business Carlie Casserly.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read