Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-14-2005   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Possible McKinney move to guard now in OL mix

"With so many questions still surrounding the offensive line, the Texans are considering moving center Steve McKinney to left guard."
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3224321
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005   #2
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 35052 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Move him to left bench.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005   #3
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

So, the article starts...
Quote:
With so many questions still surrounding the offensive line, the Texans are considering moving center Steve McKinney to left guard.
and finishes with...
Quote:
"I'll do whatever," he said. "Probably by me moving to guard, I can make more money. If they want me to move to guard, I have no problem with it but it's not something that's necessarily a plan. It's Plan B."
Doesn't sound like Steve and the Texans are on the same page. If he's looking for more money, better show some worth this year.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005   #4
geofb
Veteran

I think it's finally (though probably too late now) dawning on them that they dawdled in the offseason without addressing the O-line. We may well be in panic mode in training camp trying to fix the problem as best we can.

It is interesting that the party line is that everything is just fine, no problem. Another year of the O-line playing together and everything will gel, etc. But now it's obvious there is trouble in paradise. Behind the scenes they know they've got big problems and little time left to fix it.

Let's watch what happens when training camp opens and that will tell us. If we believe what the staff says and all the O-line needs is a bit more time to work together as a unit to gel, then you would think you would want your players playing together in the position you plan for them to play this year so they can get some more time to gel. In fact, it should be the exact same positions as last year if you really believe you had the right lineup but just needed more time to gel.

On the other hand, if the Texans are spooked (as they should be) that the O-line is going to suck wind, they will be trying all kinds of combinations and moving people all around to try and figure out how to make the best of a bad situation.

Don't listen to what the staff says, watch what they do. That is how you can really tell what the staff truly believes. Actions always speak louder than words.
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005   #5
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

I'm all for McKinney not being our C anymore but they (Texans, not the media) are probably drumming this story up so that Pitts and Wand don't feel like they are the only ones having to make a switch. If they see a vet willing to embrace a position swap, then they'd look like big sissy babies if all they was doing was pissing and moaning about the constant movement.---On another note, Wand is probably sucking @ LT & LG and that Washington is a better C than G thus forcing McKinney out a space over to G. Makes perfect sense, and like Dom says, "We want our best combo of 5 out there".
Old 06-14-2005   #6
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Putting him at LG gets him further from the QB, thus more time to protect the QB.
Old 06-14-2005   #7
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

Who plays center if McKinney moves?

I would say Pitts just because it almost guarantees he will have less false starts this year. Ok, maybe not.
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2005   #8
titan hater
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
I'm all for McKinney not being our C anymore but they (Texans, not the media) are probably drumming this story up so that Pitts and Wand don't feel like they are the only ones having to make a switch. If they see a vet willing to embrace a position swap, then they'd look like big sissy babies if all they was doing was pissing and moaning about the constant movement

Thank You Oliver Stone...
titan hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005   #9
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Does anyone foresee Weary ever competing for the C position? Just seems like this guy has never gotten it together at the pro level.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno....I'm really confused about what kind of signals we are getting from
these training sessions. Some say its just harmless experimentation, but Capers strikes me as an old school, conservative coach who would cling to
the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought if he didn't think it was broke. I'm thinking him or some other important decision makers with the Texans have serious reservations about the status quo re the OL.
Old 06-14-2005   #11
done88
Veteran

Mckinney was a great guard at Indy and I have said since day one he should be our guard. We still need a center but we could settle down the guad
Old 06-14-2005   #12
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I dunno....I'm really confused about what kind of signals we are getting from
these training sessions. Some say its just harmless experimentation, but Capers strikes me as an old school, conservative coach who would cling to
the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought if he didn't think it was broke. I'm thinking him or some other important decision makers with the Texans have serious reservations about the status quo re the OL.
Last year there was "Harmless Experimentation" in camp with Wong getting reps @ inside LB. Now look.
Old 06-14-2005   #13
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
Does anyone foresee Weary ever competing for the C position? Just seems like this guy has never gotten it together at the pro level.
He actually had a few snaps @ C during some reg. season games last year (or maybe the year B-4) but it just doesn't seem he has what it takes to be a C in the NFL with all the signal calling and the memorization of what the rest of the O-Line guys are supposed to do on that particular play. He didn't play C at college.
Old 06-14-2005   #14
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88
Mckinney was a great guard at Indy and I have said since day one he should be our guard. We still need a center but we could settle down the guad
McKinney was an average guard at Indy on a passing team. McKinney would be even worse at guard than he has been at center for the Texans because the Texans want a power blocking offensive line, not a finesse line like Indy's.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005   #15
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo, the Marble Eye
Who plays center if McKinney moves?

I would say Pitts just because it almost guarantees he will have less false starts this year. Ok, maybe not.
More than likely Todd Washington would take over his natural position at center.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
the Texans want a power blocking offensive line, not a finesse line like Indy's.
It's my understanding that we are pattering our OL after Denver's OL, which
as I understand it is undersized, but a quick and athletic unit. That sounds like more of an attempt to put together a finesse unit than power unit ?
Old 06-14-2005   #17
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
It's my understanding that we are pattering our OL after Denver's OL, which
as I understand it is undersized, but a quick and athletic unit. That sounds like more of an attempt to put together a finesse unit than power unit ?
The Texans are using a zone-blocking scheme that the Broncos and also the Ravens have used with success. The Broncos use smaller linemen, the Ravens use larger linemen. The Texans are using larger linemen like the Ravens.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005   #18
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
More than likely Todd Washington would take over his natural position at center.

Washington does not look like he plays unless somebody is injured... not really a starter...

I guess where I was going with this is that moving McKinney just makes us weak somewhere else, right?
Old 06-14-2005   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
not sure Todd has a natural position anymore since he has been moved around so much (mostly RG for an injured Weigert). does have the natural build & experience to play the position but would he really be an upgrade over McKinney in pass protection? seems like a good run blocking guard/center but not sure if he can take on the NT consistantly at the point of attack, holding the front end of the pocket in tact

what the Texans need is a clear upgrade at this position. sounds more like Center by committee
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
The Texans are using a zone-blocking scheme that the Broncos and also the Ravens have used with success. The Broncos use smaller linemen, the Ravens use larger linemen. The Texans are using larger linemen like the Ravens.
Right, but is the zone-blocking scheme more finess or power oriented ? I'm
unsure and am asking you ffor a clarification.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read