Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Where does Matt rank with QBs in playoffs

gafftop

All Pro
Don't know how to do poll where you can rank from first to last but would be curious where you think MS ranks is relation to the other QBs in the playoffs both AFC and NFC. Sorry if this has already been done.
Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Ryan
Luck
Flacco
Dalton
RGIII
Wilson
MS
Kaepernick
Ponder

Sorry I should start
9 or 10 presently
11 or 12 in future
Just my opinion

Last edited:

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Don't know how to do poll where you can rank from first to last but would be curious where you think MS ranks is relation to the other QBs in the playoffs both AFC and NFC. Sorry if this has already been done.
Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Ryan
Luck
Flacco
Dalton
RGIII
Wilson
MS
Kaepernick
Ponder

Sorry I should start
9 or 10 presently
11 or 12 in future
Just my opinion
Basically on that list the only guys I'd rather have less than Matt Schaub leading my team are Flacco and Ponder. Lot of youngsters in there but at least they have upside.

For just these playoffs here is the order I would like. This is not taking into account future development or anything. Just these next few weeks. Of course most of these guys are a huge unknown in the post season so a lot of it is just guessing.

Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Ryan
RGIII
Wilson
MS
Flacco
Luck
Dalton
Kaep
Ponder

Maybe a bit of homerism but whatever. Did this fairly quickly without looking up stats and stuff.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
For just these playoffs here is the order I would like. This is not taking into account future development or anything. Just these next few weeks. Of course most of these guys are a huge unknown in the post season so a lot of it is just guessing.

Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Ryan
RGIII
Wilson
MS
Flacco
Luck
Dalton
Kaep
Ponder

Maybe a bit of homerism but whatever. Did this fairly quickly without looking up stats and stuff.
Good list, but I'd swap Schaub & Wilson. Wilson is too short to be effective in our offense I think.

coon

Waterboy
1.Brady
2.Rodgers
3.Manning
4.Wilson
5.Ryan
6.RG3
7.Luck
8.Schaub
9.Dalton
10.Flacco
11.Kaepernick
12.Ponder
Let's hope he proves us wrong

76Texan

Hall of Fame
If we're talking about QB that can run our system then you have to put Rodgers at the top of the list and move Manning and Brady down.

TEXANRED

Texan-American
This is my list in order in terms of playoff QB's:

The Big Boys:
Brady
Manning
Rodgers

Brady 5 Superbowl's, Manning 2 Superbowl's, Rodgers 1 Superbowl.

The Vets:
Flacco
Dalton
Ryan

Flacco has at least won a playoff game and Dalton didn't get blanked unlike Ryan. Ryan is a horrible playoff QB to this point.

The Rookies:
RGIII
Wilson
Kaepernick
Luck
Ponder
Schaub

This group rounds out the rookie playoff QB. I base this list on athleticism, leadership, and good old fashioned guts and courage.

gafftop

All Pro
I don't know how anyone can answer this before the game....
09-18-2009 #1
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Texans' Offense and Schaub, Poor Match
I heard on the radio MS can be successful only if all the planets align. Well the planets aren't aligned in the Texans offense. Let's look more closely. Even when 110% MS is not the most mobile QB. MS is not the most durable QB. MS not great arm stength. The Texans' line is not the most dominant line. The lack of mobility (especially last week against the Jets, ankle) of MS means that he can't buy any time and make something happen unlike some other QB's that are able to scramble and allow the receivers to create. Therefore we can't utilize AJ physical talents on a busted play. This is even made worse because MS can't affford to take a hit, unlike some QB's that can stay in the pocket until the last second and let the play develope. If we had a QB that could take a hit we would gain some time, or if we had a QB that could scramble and buy some time we could maybe make some conpletions and maybe come up with the big play. We have the receivers to do this but due to the above factors we were unable to do this last week against the Jets. That is why the offense was so pitiful. I understand the PROBLEM is our offensive line. But our offensive line may be just what is was last week for the entire season. The more i write the more depressed I become. The defense only needs to shut down AJ with double coverage and get after MS and we have last week's outcome again this week. I guess what I am getting at is if MS is not healthy and mobile and Kubiak is determined to play MS no matter what like last week, we will have a repeat of last week. I was a Kubiak fan until last week. His inability to get the team up and prepared along with the POOR judgement in playing MS really makes me wonder. I guess getting back to the title, with our Oline we would be better off with a very mobile QB or a QB that can take a hit every once in a while. We have neither in MS. Would appreciate comment that give me some hope. thanks

This Post was written in 2009

Nothing is going to change. I think Matt is about as mobile now as he was then when he was hurt and he isn't getting any younger. I still think we learn after the season that he has been hurt or at least I am hoping so because at lease we may see a better MS next year. But even then Matt is Matt.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame

Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Ryan
RGIII
Wilson
MS
Flacco
Luck
Dalton
Kaep
Ponder

This seems about right to me, especially if you are talking for this playoffs and not as a future QB.

bckey

All Pro
Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Ryan
Luck
Flacco
Dalton
RGIII
Wilson
MS
Kaepernick
Ponder

Sorry I should start
9 or 10 presently
11 or 12 in future
Just my opinion
I would move kaep over MS and Flacco below him

SCOTTexans

Rookie
Go look at the Schaub hater thread, theres about 5 people that rate schaub bottom 3 in the league....:rake:

For this list

For Sure

1) Manning
2) Brady
3) Rodgers

Then There's

4) Ryan - His good games he looks like a legit elite QB
5) RGIII - Looks hurt still but has all the talent
6) Schaub
7) Flacco - Up this high for his deep threat ability and playoff experience
8) Wilson - look what hes doing without a Elite WR
9) Luck - Down do to his turnovers
10) Dalton - I really havent been paying any attention to him, so not sure what to expect..
11) Kaep - Rookie that is hit or miss in games
12) Ponder - Check down king from what i have seen

This is overall QB and not if we had them in our system

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
In my mind, there is no difference once you get to the top 5 teams. I still have the Texans as one of the top 5 teams in the league, even though they haven't played like it recently.

If the Texans can get back to the team they were at the beginning of the season (& that team had it's faults) then there isn't a QB that's better than Matt Schaub. Not Brady, not Rogers.

I know it's not fair to the Bradies & the Rogers of the league, but when we get to the play-offs, it's a team game. We saw the New York Giants run roughshod all over the Packers & Saints last year, even though we all know Eli is not half the QB Rogers or Brees is. We've seen Flacco & Sanchez roar to the AFC Championship game even though they can't hold Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning's for that matter, jock strap.

Football, especially in the NFL, is a team game. & nobody got it as good as we do.

Goodwrench3

Brazilian fan
1) Manning
2) Brady
3) Rodgers
4) Wilson
5) RGIII
6) Schaub
7) Ryan
8) Kaepernick
9) Luck
10) Flacco
11) Dalton
12) Ponder

handswarmer

Rookie
Maybe I am biased but last year Flacco outplayed Brady in the AFCC Game. One dropped pas from the SB

He has't been consistent this year but I would take him over Schaub- MS hasn't played a playoff game yet.

TJ Yates is a proven playoff winner compared to MS

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
The way Schaub has played for the past month, it's hard to rank him ahead of anybody with a straight face. NFL Matchup on ESPN broke down tape of his recent performances and he had wide-open guys open for big plays numerous times against the Colts, Vikings and Patriots and either under-threw them or over-threw them.

An elite quarterback can make those big plays down field and complete a higher percentage of those passes that tend to win games and not lose games. The offensive line gives him enough time on those particular plays but he still isn't taking advantage. He's starting to look like a deer in the headlights a la David Carr. And even worse, he's the slowest quarterback in the league. When he drops back in the pocket he isn't even evading any sacks like he used to do a few years ago.

I'm starting to think that maybe Schaub's foot is still giving him some pain and trouble. There has to be a logical reason he has performed so horribly and can no longer out-run a turtle in a wheelchair. All that being said, Matt Schaub can silence a lot of critics and doubters if he has a good showing today and wins his first career playoff game.

Matt Schaub can redeem himself today with a big playoff win. He's the reason we lost the 1st seed in the AFC Playoffs, but he can also be the reason we advance to the divisional round against the Patriots.

Donnieman

Practice Squad
Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Ryan
Luck
Flacco
Dalton
RGIII
Wilson
MS
Kaepernick
Ponder

Sorry I should start
9 or 10 presently
11 or 12 in future
Just my opinion
It's easy. Tell me if we traded Schaub after the season what would we get?
Probably a third or fourth round pick and whoever was dumb enough to take him would definitely not have hom as a starter.

Donnieman

Practice Squad
Probably a third or fourth round pick and whoever was dumb enough to take him would definitely not have hom as a starter.
P.S. Watch Yates take over in second half when we are down 20-6.

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
In order for the Texans to win four straight games starting today and go on to win the Super Bowl: The run game has to dominate and the defense has to play like "Bulls on Parade" did in last year's playoffs. It's not impossible for that to happen but the healthy inside linebackers we have left, along with our secondary, have to elevate their game in order to match the intensity of the opposing offense.

I know our defensive line will give it all they have. I have confidence our secondary will come alive today. It's the linebackers I'm not too confident in right now. No Brian Cushing, no Tim Dibbons, we're already using our third stringer at one of the positions. The middle of the field will be wide open all game long for the Bengals, whether they want to exploit us through the air or the ground. We need Barwin and Reed to kick some ass and Bradie James has to play like he's 4 or 5 years younger - when he was beasting during his Dallas days. And hopefully Barrett Ruud can hold his own.

This is still a team game. Matt Schaub has to play well for the Texans to be holding the Lombardi Trophy a month from now. But we can still win even if he doesn't perform like an elite quarterback, but it's going to take other players stepping up their game which they haven't really done since November.

If the Texans run game and defense don't show up today the Bengals will swallow us alive and give us a beating of a lifetime. I hope guys like Arian Foster, Ben Tate, the entire offensive line and the entire defense (yes, Wade Phillips' entire group) come to play with a lot of passion, energy and heart. I'M CALLING THEM OUT AND QUESTIONING THEIR MAN HOOD!!!!!!! They have a lot to prove today.

I think it's pretty damn sad when so many of the so-called NFL experts on TV are picking the Bengals to win today. But I can't disagree with them if the Texans don't play much better than that pathetic trash that we've been seeing for the past month.

TODAY IS IT GUYS!!!!! Will the Texans step the hell up or choke again?

gafftop

All Pro
I agree only I don't think you get that much.
The only one I don't think I want over Schaub for sure is Ponder.
I really don't know a lot about him other than he gets married right in the heart of a playoff race.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Matt doesn't rank with anyone, anywhere, ever.

Today is his chance to change that.
Do you expect people to take you seriously when you spew this kind of crap?

I'm just asking, because I want Schaub replaced, but your hyperbole on just about everything is off the charts.

Didn't you just say last week that you didn't want us to win??

Do you expect people to take you seriously when you spew this kind of crap?

I'm just asking, because I want Schaub replaced, but your hyperbole on just about everything is off the charts.

Didn't you just say last week that you didn't want us to win??
Indeed and cited the massive benefits of picking 24th as opposed to 25th...

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
DOn't know why he thinks that anyone would take him seriously at this point. He didn't want us to win today. We won. I'm happy, and I was ecstatic just to be able to watch my Texans in a playoff game again this year. Life is good as a Texans fan "for today at least." :toropalm:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Ryan
Luck
Flacco
Dalton
RGIII
Wilson
MS
Kaepernick
Ponder

Sorry I should start
9 or 10 presently
11 or 12 in future
Just my opinion
FYI, all the QBs in this list (and more, including Rivers, Brees, Big Ben, Eli, Romo)... every QBs that had been to the play-offs 2 times or more had lost in the first round MULTIPLE times.

Peyton led the futility charge with 7 losses in the first round.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
FYI, all the QBs in this list (and more, including Rivers, Brees, Big Ben, Eli, Romo)... every QBs that had been to the play-offs 2 times or more had lost in the first round MULTIPLE times.

Peyton led the futility charge with 7 losses in the first round.
Don't be trying to confuse us with facts...

[IMGwidthsize=200]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110701192360/en.futurama/images/d/da/Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg[/IMG]

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Don't be trying to confuse us with facts...

[IMGwidthsize=200]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110701192360/en.futurama/images/d/da/Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg[/IMG]
Sorry, it's just stats.
I forgot that stats don't mean nothing. :ant:

And I just remember something, they say QBs get too much credit in Wins and also get too much blame in Losses.

I guess it doesn't apply here.

Schaub didn't get any credit from a "ton" of people for this Win and Dalton didn't get any blame from the same "ton" of people for the Bengals loss (I think they discounted last year losses, too.)

I wonder if those who "want" Dalton over Schaub ever show up and say "oops, my bad".

After all, they think Dalton is the kind of guy that Schaub can't never be, the guy who can scramble and extend play with his mobility, the guy who doesn't panick under pressure, the guy who can be accurate on the deep ball, the guy who can carry a team, the guy who can.... :scarygirl:

HJam72

Hall of Fame
Dalton deserved some blame for both losses. Schaub doesn't really deserve much credit for this win. Foster and Defense won this game.

Here's where I WILL give Schaub some credit: he didn't go out there, sling it around, and throw 3 picks like Yates...

handswarmer

Rookie
Yep, that's how I feel. I don't believe it's his fault. He's basically a heady QB with a serious lack of armstrength and no mobility.
I just feel as if he needs everything to be perfect to succeed. He wasn't stellar yesterday- he just channeled his inner T.J. Yates.:shades:

HJam72

Hall of Fame
I just feel as if he needs everything to be perfect to succeed. He wasn't stellar yesterday- he just channeled his inner T.J. Yates.:shades:
Yeah, he does try awefully hard not to take risks/make mistakes. I would too if I had to go against play-off calibre Ds with his arm (or mine).

I'm not a fan of Yates, until he learns a lot. He does have more physical ability, obviously.

gafftop

All Pro
Yep, that's how I feel. I don't believe it's his fault. He's basically a heady QB with a serious lack of armstrength and no mobility.
Why is Schaub considered a heady QB. Does a heady QB make that throw to Casey? Does a heady QB zero in on one player all the time? Does a heady QB lose his cool and rush when there is no one around?
I am beginning to think MS is just the opposite of heady?
I just must miss all the pump fakes and looks he makes to redirect the DBs.
Is there a reason Matt does not have more flexibility at the line with play calls or is it just GK thinking he is always right?

I do agree 100% with the last part of your post?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Why is Schaub considered a heady QB. Does a heady QB make that throw to Casey? Does a heady QB zero in on one player all the time? Does a heady QB lose his cool and rush when there is no one around?
I am beginning to think MS is just the opposite of heady?
I just must miss all the pump fakes and looks he makes to redirect the DBs.
Is there a reason Matt does not have more flexibility at the line with play calls or is it just GK thinking he is always right?

I do agree 100% with the last part of your post?
I just want to point out that some QBs considered as "heady" made some poor throws at times.

Consider Peyton's 3 INTs game.
How about Brees' 5 INTs game.
And they lost those games, of course.

Then if you watch Luck' play throughout the season.
Besides the INTs that he threw, there were other balls that were dropped by the Defenders when Luck threw the ball right at their numbers as if they were the ones who ran the route. Balls that looked like the one Schaub threw yesterday were also common, but luckily, the DBs didn't time it quite right, or they couldn't quite haul the ball in.

Schaub is not a great QB, but he's not a bad one either.
That is all I'm saying.

gafftop

All Pro
I just want to point out that some QBs considered as "heady" made some poor throws at times.

Besides the INTs that he threw, there were other balls that were dropped by the Defenders when Luck threw the ball right at their numbers as if they were the ones who ran the route. Balls that looked like the one Schaub threw yesterday were also common, but luckily, the DBs didn't time it quite right, or they couldn't quite haul the ball in.

That is all I'm saying
Agree 100% with bold above . Sorry if you took offense to comment about heady.
i do consider the top 2 mentioned as heady. Luck I also think will be a heady QB in the future.

I did move Schaub ahead of Dalton in ranking.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I have never, ever posted that I did not want the Texans to win. Ever.
Yeah, you did. The thread was deleted after you lied about telling other posters to commit suicide and then challenged me to a fight somewhere.

It's exactly why no one takes you seriously. You post trash like that, and then when you're called on it, you deny ever doing it. I guess your account just gets stolen every other day. :kitten:

Here is another confirmation from someone who saw it.

Yeah, I guess everyone is a liar in here but you. Lol!

HJam72

Hall of Fame

That is all I'm saying.
That is a lie. Therefore you are a liar.

:jk: