Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2013   #161
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All Encompassing Case Keenum Thread

I have discussed Case Keenum's limitations multiple times on this board. He is a short, older rookie-ish QB, who has had medical issues in college, who had questions about his arm. Most all of these still apply unfortunately after the game, however, I only really talked up Case when he was in college because I absolutely loved his college career. Setting all those records for UH is something he will always hang his hat on, but, when coming to the NFL it's almost a total crapshoot whether a player will be able to handle the game through the wear and tear and mental difficulties they face.

With that said, I think the Keenum brigade here has vastly exaggerated his college career in order to place gigantic expectations for him in the pros and treat those expectations as more of facts than anything. Keenum showed very admirably in his first start; which was on the road, against the most fearsome pass rush in the NFL, oh and all the active RB's get decimated while the game is well in question. He has certainly earned himself an extensive look this season (As in, put Schaub on IR, screw it at this point we're 2-5) in my opinion. This one performance is not going to preclude me from drafting a QB high at this point in the season, but I'm open to Keenum proving me wrong.
Old 10-21-2013   #162
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case's Accountability

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnbni99a View Post
i'm 99% sure we would of lost by waaaaay more than 1 point if Schaub was out there (healthy or not)
we would've lost by more than 1 point if KC would've elected to punch it in for a TD on Keenum's sack fumble at the 1 inch line....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #163
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
we would've lost by more than 1 point if KC would've elected to punch it in for a TD on Keenum's sack fumble at the 1 inch line....
Negative.
Andy Reid would never take the risk of a turnover when he can have his team kneel 3 times to ensure a win.

... Unless Vegas wanted another 7 points, which would change the outcome of the OVER/UNDER spread by 1/2 of a point.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #164
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...texans-qb-woes

Quote:
The entire situation is reminiscent of former NFL quarterback Tyler Thigpen, who caught the NFL by storm in 2008 for the then-atrocious Chiefs. Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey installed an offensive set straight out of the Coastal Carolina playbook, and Thigpen outperformed expectations because he was a good athlete for whom the game slowed down when he was comfortable.

Eventually, however, Thigpen's schtick was over because it wasn't sustainable. Teams watch tape—you can only surprise people so many times. Eventually, when all the wrinkles and gimmicks fade, a quarterback has to be able to make the throws. Thigpen couldn't do that on a consistent basis. Keenum can't either.
You guys should let this guy know what you think.
Old 10-21-2013   #165
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Negative.
Andy Reid would never take the risk of a turnover when he can have his team kneel 3 times to ensure a win.

... Unless Vegas wanted another 7 points, which would change the outcome of the OVER/UNDER spread by 1/2 of a point.
He didn't do it b/c of that....It was on the other side of the 2 minute warning & he knew we had no more TO's to stop the clock.... If we just had 1 TO or the 2 minute warning i think he goes on ahead & punches it, he just takes his time doing it.

Besides, the risk of a TO is minimal there...probably 3 straight qb sneaks would've done it...which is what he probably should've done earlier when they stalled in the red zone on the 1 inch line...
Old 10-21-2013   #166
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

Why do you hate Case?
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #167
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He didn't do it b/c of that....It was on the other side of the 2 minute warning & he knew we had no more TO's to stop the clock.... If we just had 1 TO or the 2 minute warning i think he goes on ahead & punches it, he just takes his time doing it.

Besides, the risk of a TO is minimal there...probably 3 straight qb sneaks would've done it...which is what he probably should've done earlier when they stalled in the red zone on the 1 inch line...
But it was exactly because he knew we had no time-out left.
I remember at least one game when a coach did the stupid thing that resulted in a turnover and the other scored a TD for the win.
Why make any call other than to ensure 100% of the win?
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2013   #168
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I remember at least one game when a coach did the stupid thing that resulted in a turnover and the other scored a TD for the win.

There's absolutely nothing to gain.
Any risk of all is a dumb risk.
Old 10-21-2013   #169
idymoe
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 idymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respected

As Nance and Simms mentioned, Reid did not want to score there, because it would have given the Texans a small chance, whereas running the clock out gave them no chance.

With the Texans down one point, a touchdown and extra point gives KC an 8 point lead with almost 2 minutes to play, albeit with no timeouts. It gives the Texans a chance to score a touchdown and get a two point conversion to tie the game.
idymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #170
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Your logic doesn't make sense simply b/c the risk of a TO is there whether or not he chooses to punch it in with a qb sneak b/c the qb still has to take the snap on both plays...the risk is minimal.
Old 10-21-2013   #171
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Any Reid would've done that, then he's a dumbass.. only a dumbass would do that.. The Texans would've been better off if he did elect to score as they would've been only down one score (8 points) with the ball back and still time on the clock. Hell the Texans would've moved out of their way and helped them into the endzone. They would've had small odds, but odds still greater than 0 which is what Reid gave them when he elected to sit on the ball. The fact that we played them so close is why he wasn't given the opportunity to just punch it in.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #172
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

When the guy recovered the fumble and rolled into the EZ I was thinking that the Olineman that touched him should have let him score.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #173
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
When the guy recovered the fumble and rolled into the EZ I was thinking that the Olineman that touched him should have let him score.
Same here.. ala the Patriots.. it's "situational football"

When they were showing the replays, I was hoping the player wasn't touched, when I saw he was I knew Reid would do exactly what he did.. what anybody would do, and knew the game was over.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #174
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Newton went after the ball and made contact with D. Johnson.
I don't know if you want to coach your O-linemen not to try to recover the ball; it seems rather counter-intuitive. Yes? No?
Old 10-21-2013   #175
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Your logic doesn't make sense simply b/c the risk of a TO is there whether or not he chooses to punch it in with a qb sneak b/c the qb still has to take the snap on both plays...the risk is minimal.
No, Mr Tex, the risks are different.

First off, when you kneel down, your entire team only has to concentrate on forming a wall. The Center only needs to concentrate on pulling the ball off the ground and handing it backward to the QB. The QB's job is to put a knee on thee ground immediately. It's like in golf when you have the ball right next to the hole.

A snap when you try to run with the ball (a QB sneak for example) involves the C having to think about blocking right after the snap; he has to think about more than one thing.

Secondly, a run or any other type of play involves contact; that's an extra risk.
Old 10-21-2013   #176
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No, Mr Tex, the risks are different.

First off, when you kneel down, your entire team only has to concentrate on forming a wall. The Center only needs to concentrate on pulling the ball off the ground and handing it backward to the QB. The QB's job is to put a knee on thee ground immediately. It's like in golf when you have the ball right next to the hole.

A snap when you try to run with the ball (a QB sneak for example) involves the C having to think about blocking right after the snap; he has to think about more than one thing.

Secondly, a run or any other type of play involves contact; that's an extra risk.
just agree to disagree on the level of risk.....
Old 10-21-2013   #177
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121752 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

I think it's funny that he just assumes Keenum can't adjust at all and will burn out. Maybe he's right, but maybe he's dead wrong
Old 10-21-2013   #178
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Newton went after the ball and made contact with D. Johnson.
I don't know if you want to coach your O-linemen not to try to recover the ball; it seems rather counter-intuitive. Yes? No?
I'm not blaming anyone. But if I was in that situation I'm telling my guys, if they get a pick or fumble, let them score.

A lot if situational things are counterintuitive. That's where discipline comes in.

It's counterintuitive to pick up a fumble on the 5 yard line and not score. But in that situation it's actually the right thing to do.

Again, I'm not blaming anyone. It happened, but if I was in that situation again I'd tell then to let them score.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #179
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not blaming anyone. But if I was in that situation I'm telling my guys, if they get a pick or fumble, let them score.

A lot if situational things are counterintuitive. That's where discipline comes in.

It's counterintuitive to pick up a fumble on the 5 yard line and not score. But in that situation it's actually the right thing to do.

Again, I'm not blaming anyone. It happened, but if I was in that situation again I'd tell then to let them score.
Perhaps; but again, Newton wasn't trying to prevent a score; he wanted to recover the fumble.
If he was succesful, the Texans would still have the ball.
If it was fourth down, I would say for sure, don't even try to touch the ball; stay away.

It's a tough call.
Look at D. Johnson; he didn't want to go down; he wanted to score.
In the Chiefs' case, it was best for them not to score so they can run out the clock.
Johnson was wanting a TD there, don't you think?
Old 10-21-2013   #180
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Yep and that is the sign of a true leader, when he takes the blame instead of putting it on everyone.
First, I don't think Schaub was trying to displace blame anywhere. He's just gotten too comfortable repeating what Kubiak said. Coming from Kubiak it's alright.. sounds like he's "protecting" a 10 year vet where you wouldn't think a 10 year vet needs protecting. I do agree Schaub should never have said "we" & whether he thought all the blame should have been on him or not, you're right as the leader of the team he needs to draw the blame to himself & protect his guys the way Kubiak was trying to protect his guy.

But what's even better than Keenum taking the blame...
Quote:
My guys were working to get open, and I just need to get the ball out. My offensive line did a great job protecting all day. They did an extremely good job, especially running the ball early. I thought we had some really good drives.
Praising those guys in front of him that could have done a better job. It's okay.... expected that a guy would make mental mistakes in his first start at the QB position. But there appeared to be some mental gaffs by both Brown & Wade...... & Brooks isn't a rookie either (Newton's mistakes were far beyond mental Gaffes & I'll have to go back but nothing Myers did really sticks out).

Again, Matt parroted Kubiak's words, "They were battling all day."

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read