Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-06-2013   #361
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All Encompassing Case Keenum Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Thanks for the link. Something that a blind squirrel should have by now figured out.
It was too bad that the Texans extended Schaub too early last year.
I don't know what their policy is regarding the situation, but it would have been nice to make Schaub really compete for the starting job in camp this year.
If he wins the job, then they can extent him.
Depending on the competition in TC, they could be in a better bargaining position, too.

The other thing is that I've seen Keenum ran the PA pass from under center, in the I formation in his freshman year, and he did it well, too.
I wonder if they even bother to go back all the way for those game tapes or not.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #362
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Profootball Focus dissect the PA pass from Schaub to Keenum:

Scroll down to the second part of the article.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...book-week-9-3/
I'd like to see where Andre was when Case released that ball, and also the proximity of the safety at that time.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #363
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 53326 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Profootball Focus dissect the PA pass from Schaub to Keenum:

Scroll down to the second part of the article.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...book-week-9-3/
Yes, every day there's a new article online singing Keenum's praises...and rightfully so! It's funny, but generally in ever article the writer takes a pretty big stab at Schaub. Rightfully so? Probably. His days are numbered. Take Schaub's Wikipedia page for instance:

Quote:
Despite recovering from an injured ankle, Schaub was benched in week 7 in favor of Case Keenum who threw touchdown passes instead of interceptions. Case Keenum is expected to be the Texan's started for the remainder of the season.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Schaub#2013_season

Cold blooded!
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #364
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Yes, every day there's a new article online singing Keenum's praises...and rightfully so! It's funny, but generally in ever article the writer takes a pretty big stab at Schaub. Rightfully so? Probably. His days are numbered. Take Schaub's Wikipedia page for instance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Schaub#2013_season

Cold blooded!
I think it was due to Kubiak's decision not to bench Schaub earlier.
The backlash, IMO, wouldn't have been that bad if not for the last pick-six.
Old 11-06-2013   #365
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I'd like to see where Andre was when Case released that ball, and also the proximity of the safety at that time.
Bethea was looking to see which way AJ was going to go; Keenum saw him turning his head (ie., he can't see where the ball goes) and let it fly.

Either AJ was going to get it, or it's an overthrown ball; no chance for Bethea to make a play on the ball.
Smart play by Keenum.
Old 11-09-2013   #366
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it how Case leads the NFL in yards per pass attempt at 10.5, he is the only QB in the NFL in double digits, the next closest player is Aaron rogers with a 8.8 yards per pass attempt.

He is also 4th in passing yards per game at 311 yards per game.

He is also 3rd in the NFL in QB rating at 118

NOT A bad start to his career.
Old 11-09-2013   #367
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36629 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

>I like it how Case leads the NFL in yards per pass attempt at 10.5, he is the only QB in the NFL in double digits, the next closest player is Aaron rogers with a 8.8 yards per pass attempt.

Even if he finishes the season just inside the top 10 in all categories
(which means he falls off a little over the next 8 games) it would
be a pretty remarkable start!

After all, the guy has only had 1 season of PS study, and 4 weeks
of reps with the starters.

That's whats mind boggling to me. It's not as if he was pegged the
starter for being a high draft pick. He is literally having to develop
timing with the 1's midseason!

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2013   #368
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm very curious to see how teams are going to defend Case for the rest of this season (hopefully Kubiak doesn't have a brain fart and put Schaub back in). They have some film on him and can probably start to see some tendencies.

I hope we can run the ball well enough that D's can't play a safety as a center fielder and have a LB spy Case.
Old 11-09-2013   #369
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm very curious to see how teams are going to defend Case for the rest of this season (hopefully Kubiak doesn't have a brain fart and put Schaub back in). They have some film on him and can probably start to see some tendencies.

I hope we can run the ball well enough that D's can't play a safety as a center fielder and have a LB spy Case.
Yeah but the thing is it is easy to game plan against a guy like Schaub, he is limited, but its not as easy to game plan against a guy like Case. He has enough speed to run, to elude the defenders and to chunk the ball very accuratly while on the run. When a guy can make stuff out of nothing it is really hard to find tendencies.
Old 11-09-2013   #370
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161936 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair always says he reviews entire team structure after each season. I'd like to be a fly on wall when he does that.
Old 11-09-2013   #371
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
McNair always says he reviews entire team structure after each season. I'd like to be a fly on wall when he does that.
he problably checks it off about the same as i do an online survey.....
Old 11-09-2013   #372
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Yeah but the thing is it is easy to game plan against a guy like Schaub, he is limited, but its not as easy to game plan against a guy like Case. He has enough speed to run, to elude the defenders and to chunk the ball very accuratly while on the run. When a guy can make stuff out of nothing it is really hard to find tendencies.
Case is hardly the 1st mobile QB in the NFL. Defenses will figure him out sooner or later, then it's up to him to make plays when the defenses take away what he likes to do. I think he can do it, but it won't be a cake walk for him every week.
Old 11-09-2013   #373
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Case is hardly the 1st mobile QB in the NFL. Defenses will figure him out sooner or later, then it's up to him to make plays when the defenses take away what he likes to do. I think he can do it, but it won't be a cake walk for him every week.
i'm not saying they wont, BUT case is very accurate, he is not a runner first, he can however avoid the rush and so far it appears he reads defenses very well. Reminds me of a lot of QBs whom i wont name as i dont want to start a big debate again haha
Old 11-09-2013   #374
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
i'm not saying they wont, BUT case is very accurate, he is not a runner first, he can however avoid the rush and so far it appears he reads defenses very well. Reminds me of a lot of QBs whom i wont name as i dont want to start a big debate again haha
I hear ya!!

I'm sitting next to you on the Case bandwagon, been there since PS, but I'm trying to keep my expectations real. My heart wants him to be the next Peyton Manning but my brain keeps telling me it's only been two games.

It's absolutely stunning to me though, how stark the difference is between Case and Schaub.
Old 11-09-2013   #375
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101824 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i'm not saying they wont, BUT case is very accurate, he is not a runner first, he can however avoid the rush and so far it appears he reads defenses very well. Reminds me of a lot of QBs whom i wont name as i don't want to start a big debate again haha
I will.. Russell Wilson for starters. They have almost the same exact skill set and the current QB I'd compare him to the most right now. Wilson has better top end speed, but both aren't really looking to run down field when they move (ala RG3 or Vick), they buy time behind the LOS for their receivers to get open and always keep their eyes down field.

Another QB who does this is Rodgers.

I'm sure defenses will make some adjustments, but I really don't see them being able to do a whole lot as long as Houston can keep them honest with a running game... mainly because of Case's mobility and his ability to make plays off schedule. The defense can call the perfect play and with that ability to move and make plays when things break down (which was the problem with Schaub), Case can still hurt you. That is what Russell has also been doing since day one.

Will he throw picks.. yes, will he make mistakes.. yes, every young QB does. However I don't see defenses finding a formula to "figure out" Case that makes him not be able to perform as a consistent NFL starter.. he has too many clubs in his bag to beat you with.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 11-09-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013   #376
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I will.. Russell Wilson for starters. They have almost the same exact skill set. Wilson has better top end speed, but both aren't really looking to run down field when they move (ala RG3 or Vick), they buy time behind the LOS buying time for their receivers to get open and always keep their eyes down field.

I'm sure defenses will make some adjustments, but I really don't see them being able to do a whole lot as long as Houston can keep them honest with a running game... mainly because of Case's mobility and his ability to make plays off schedule. The defense can call the perfect play and with that ability to move and make plays when things break down (which was the problem with Schaub), Case can still hurt you. That is what Russell has also been doing since day one.

Will he throw picks.. yes, will he make mistakes.. yes, every young QB does. However I don't see defenses finding a formula to "figure out" Case that makes him not be able to perform as a consistent NFL starter.. he has too many clubs in his bag to beat you with.
Exactly, good post !
Old 11-09-2013   #377
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I will.. Russell Wilson for starters. They have almost the same exact skill set and the current QB I'd compare him to the most right now. Wilson has better top end speed, but both aren't really looking to run down field when they move (ala RG3 or Vick), they buy time behind the LOS for their receivers to get open and always keep their eyes down field.

I'm hoping Case ends up being compared to Fran Tarkington.
Old 11-09-2013   #378
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101824 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm hoping Case ends up being compared to Fran Tarkington.
I sense a hint of sarcasm.
Old 11-09-2013   #379
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I sense a hint of sarcasm.
Why?
Old 11-10-2013   #380
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Why?
I don't even think Fran Tarkinton could be Fran Tarkinton today. His highlights were crazy, he'd run about 50 yards just for a 10 yard gain. I just think defenses are too athletic today.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read