Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-10-2013   #1
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What to Expect from Interim HC Wade Phillips

Wade has three games to audition for the position of permanent HC. What, if any significant changes do you expect to see?

We've already seen an article on the official site stating that there will be changes to special teams, but not real detail was given.
I am hoping to see Derrick Newton occupying bench space for the rest of the season.
I also want to see more Posey, and less KMart.
Will there be any different offensive plays added? And will Wade add plays specifically to help Keenum succeed? I think you can expect it. Wade's future as HC might well depend on what he can do with Keenum in the remaining games.

I'm especially interested to see if Wade makes any changes on defense. I really don't expect any, but I would find it interesting if Wade were to change things on that side of the ball.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #2
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What to Expect from Interim HC Wade Phillips

A whole lot of what happened to the cowgirls last night.
Old 12-10-2013   #3
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

What I want to see is 60 min of solid football. More creative, less predictable hard nosed football.

What I expect to see is Dennison using Kubiaks menu and no real changes

I don't think Wade will change much at all but for maybe dl rotation
Old 12-10-2013   #4
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect to finish the season 2-14 and retain rights to the #1 pick.
Old 12-10-2013   #5
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

He'll work with Dennison to adapt the offense to Keenum's strengths. More shotgun or pistol formations. I wouldn't be surprised to see other players get a shot at kick returns, like Dennis Johnson.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #6
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Case unleashing his inner dragon and Wade telling him "**** it! Go deep!"
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #7
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82108 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

It'll be interesting if all of a sudden the defense starts forcing turnovers and getting to the QB.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2013   #8
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
I expect to finish the season 2-14 and retain rights to the #1 pick.
This is the most important thing. It ensures that we get the number 1 pick, and ensures that Wade will not be the coach next year.
Old 12-10-2013   #9
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
It'll be interesting if all of a sudden the defense starts forcing turnovers and getting to the QB.

It was Wade's plan all along to take the Head coaching position.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #10
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect the Defense to give up more points than the Offense can score.

Pretty much status quo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect to continue to see us run predictable defense schemes that aren't putting our players in position to make plays on the ball. Constant blitzing that doesn't hit home.

On offense, I expect the same scheme with slightly different playcalling.

Overall, I expect a group of guys that play like they are collectively saying "can this season just end?"
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish I could recall where I read a "Houston, take it from a Cowboys fan: Don't hire Wade" article but I'm at a loss.

All I find is this: http://firewadephillips.com/

Whatever uplift we may see I won't attribute to Phillips' amazing turnaround coaching skills anymore than I'd lay a 3 game losing continuation at his feet. And Dennison is just a poor man's Kubiak, in my book.

Now I like Wade like I like Gary..... and I may not have an issue with him staying on as a coordinator..... but I do have concerns about his unwillingness to make changes that was highlighted by Ed Reed. Monte Kiffin is the same way with his Tampa 2, and we see how that's working in Dallas.

Quote:

Boone walks in with a very thin playbook and hands it to Coach Yoast...

Boone: Just wanted to let you know what the offense is doing.

Yoast: Awful skinny playbook, ain't it?

Boone: I run 6 plays, split veer. It's like novocaine. Just give it time, it always works.
Works in the movies, not always in real life.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #13
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 56411 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

I find myself thinking of that universal quote when thinking of what to expect from Interim HC Wade Phillips...

The more things change...the more they stay the same...

2-14, here they come!

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Pickspatrick!....
BullNation4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #14
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 73838 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am dreading a dead cat bounce, losing the #1 pick and Wade getting hired.

What I expect is more losing, but with more charming interviews.
Old 12-10-2013   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

If Wade knew how to fix the defense it should have been by now. He has to allow Dennison to run offense but will D be brave enough now that Kubes is gone to do so?Hopefully, he believes he is playing for his job and goes all out to win.
Old 12-10-2013   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe that what puts a team into something like a 11 (headed for 14) game losing streak is not just a bad coach or an outdated philosophy. I don't think it's an overwhelming lack of talent either. We saw guys this season just literally become incapable of executing basic stuff they've been doing for a few years. Teams get into a funk sometimes and can't pull out of it. Maybe they stopped believing in what they were doing? Maybe they started believing their press clippings?

Who knows how it happens but to see an entire team on both sides of the ball just suddenly cease to function isn't normal. Once those losses start piling up it starts to take on a life of its own. The Lions got into that kind of quagmire when they went 0-16. The Texans did it under Capers in his 2-14 season and almost seemed to be in it when they went 6-10 a few years ago.

I will not be surprised to see a 2-1 finish on the year. I'm expecting an 0-3 but I think the players might surprise us if Phillips changes up enough of the routine to shake them out of this. A win in Indianapolis would be our Super Bowl this year (to borrow that tired expression) and while I doubt it would generate enough lift on its own to get us past the Broncos the Colts and Titans are both very beatable.

My fear is that Wade wins two of the three and becomes a legitimate candidate for the job. Those players and coaches don't give a damn about any first round draft pick. they want to get the stink of this season off of them and a win or two will do that. They just might manage it. Wade is good at this sort of thing too. Very scary situation for Texans fans.
Old 12-10-2013   #17
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 116764 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wades specialty is defense and this defense has played like garbage. Why should anyone expect anything other than a continuation of this collapse?
Old 12-10-2013   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm expecting 0-3.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect 0-3, and at the very most, 1-2.

Wade will be MUCH more entertaining at the pressers even after losses. I expect them to announce the new coach before Jan 1.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm expecting an overdose on the utterly lost and confused stare on the sidelines and a continuation of what we've seen all year.

Wade is part of the problem, not the solution.

BTW, is Wade still acting as DC or has he elevated one of his position coaches? I can't remember if I read anything on that or not.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read