Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-03-2013   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 92750 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Oiler Buffalo Choke ... 20 years ago today

They keep talking about this on 610 sports radio. Supposedly ESPN keeps showing it. I have been working so haven't seen that.

Hard to believe it's been 20 years.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #2
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oiler Buffalo Choke ... 20 years ago today

why must i be reminded of the most horifying times in my sports childhood?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #3
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 33666 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what you're talking about.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Titans really blew that one.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #5
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
why must i be reminded of the most horifying times in my sports childhood?
B/C Hookem hates you.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #6
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79638 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

I had the good fortune of being there in person.

Rest assured that Bills fans knew how to pour salt in my wounds, and were as cruel as the game itself.

The extra bonus was the awful cold I caught. Was out of commission all week.

Easily my worst feeling as a sports fan. The closest hurts I ever had?

Elway's comeback
Dyson at the 1
Mets break my heart in '86 (Mike Scott wins game 7)
Dodgers '81
Padres beat stacked Astros in '98
Cards beat Stros in 7 in '04 and waste Beltran's unreal post-season, and Kent's walkoff in game 5
Leafs lose to Canes in East final in 2002
Leafs lose to Kings in West Final in 1993

All of this without hitting google. Every one hurts and feels like yesterday.

God give me one lousy fkn ring. Any sport. I don't care.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #7
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Ernest Givins was held on that int during overtime. Just sayin.
Old 01-03-2013   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Hands down the worst football moment of my life.

I've said this many times, and I'll continue to say it, because I firmly believe it. That game, that one game, planted the seed that led to the Oilers leaving. If it hadn't been for that game, the Oilers would still be here, and the Houston Texans and the Tennessee Titans would not even exist.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Dyson at the 1
Pure elation.
Old 01-03-2013   #10
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Ernest Givins was held on that int during overtime. Just sayin.
And Don Beebe's toe was out of bounds.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #11
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 128458 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Hookem, I can leave my house, drive to your house, smash your windshield, and be back in bed in a little over an hour.
Old 01-03-2013   #12
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

That day was the day my parents stopped caring about sports. Even now my old man might have a game on when i'm over there, but I know it's because there's either nothing else on tv or because he knows i'm a football fan. As a teenager at the time, I remember the house being very cold, all of the lights were off with just the overcast sky creeping through windows, and you could hear...no you could feel silence. Football died a miserable death in Houston for a lot of people that day.
Old 01-03-2013   #13
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79638 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Pure elation.
I knew one of ya would go there

Old 01-03-2013   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
They keep talking about this on 610 sports radio. Supposedly ESPN keeps showing it. I have been working so haven't seen that.

Hard to believe it's been 20 years.
Hard to believe, I've tried for yrs to supress that game from my memory. Hopefully the Texans dont turn into the modern version of the Oilers. This season they've looked very Oileresque. Hopefully they dont pull a 13-3 Oliers/12-4 Texans lose in the 1st rd.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #15
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 29308 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Rest assured that Bills fans knew how to pour salt in my wounds, and were as cruel as the game itself.

Elway's comeback
Dyson at the 1
Dodgers '81
Cards beat Stros in 7 in '04 and waste Beltran's unreal post-season, and Kent's walkoff in game 5

Funny how the Oilers/Buffalo game is my worst yet the Dyson stopped at the one is one of my absolute favorite sports moments.
Old 01-03-2013   #16
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 92750 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Elway's comeback
Dyson at the 1
Dodgers '81

That Elway comeback really hit me hard. I thought it couldn't get worse than that until .. you know, the next season.

The '81 Dodgers was the first "ring" I ever received as a fan. I loved the Dodgers as a kid. I remember them being down in that WS to the Yankees and my Astros fan buddies were giving me all kinds of crap.

Actually I have been fortunate to see all of my teams (outside of the NFL) win a championship with the NY Rangers being the best one in 1994.

In the NFL the Bucs were always my other favorite team and they finally won a SB in 2002. I have also been a quasi fan of the Giants having lived up there during the 80s and they have won several since I started liking them.

The Oilers were the only ones that never did anything. Hopefully the Texans don't continue where they left off.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #17
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I knew one of ya would go there
Well, at least you had the Music City Miracle - that was a pretty big bummer for many of us.
Old 01-04-2013   #18
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't believe that it's been 20 years. Mid 20's at the time, won't say what I was doing, but someone needed some accommodations, and while I was checking this person in it was half time. Made a comment to a coworker about how good the Oilers were, what a blowout yada yada. Went back out to do my thing, and by the time I was on my way home I heard the news.
Only the Oilers could torture us that way.
Maybe I'll live long enough to see a Houston team win a Super Bowl, maybe not.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #19
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
That Elway comeback really hit me hard. I thought it couldn't get worse than that until .. you know, the next season.

The '81 Dodgers was the first "ring" I ever received as a fan. I loved the Dodgers as a kid. I remember them being down in that WS to the Yankees and my Astros fan buddies were giving me all kinds of crap.

Actually I have been fortunate to see all of my teams (outside of the NFL) win a championship with the NY Rangers being the best one in 1994.

In the NFL the Bucs were always my other favorite team and they finally won a SB in 2002. I have also been a quasi fan of the Giants having lived up there during the 80s and they have won several since I started liking them.

The Oilers were the only ones that never did anything. Hopefully the Texans don't continue where they left off.
I was at game 6 of the East Final between the Leafs and Canes. I will tell you that when Mats Sundin scored with under a minute left to send it to OT, I have never heard anything like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ1e1270vrk

Then when Martin Gelinas scored in OT, I heard every last shout on the ice from the Canes. It was surreal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjUYvngLZTg - go to 2;20 for my heartbreak...

Old 01-04-2013   #20
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Well, at least you had the Music City Miracle - that was a pretty big bummer for many of us.
Meh, the ending of the season numbs that for me, and helps many of you.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read