Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2013   #1
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1426 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Real Talk

Everybody needs to chill the F out with this Kubiak's an idiot, Wade's out of tricks, Schaub sucks, and whatever other abstract pronouncements I keep hearing. The real problems:

1. The offense stinks because of the holes on the right side of the line. After Butler got injured, that left a 7th round pick to start at right tackle, and other injuries and erratic play has meant musical chairs at guard. So what are the problems with the offense? Lack of consistent running game, Schaub pressured and making bad passes, and lack of big plays downfield. Hmmm, seems like the type of thing that happens WHEN YOU CAN'T BLOCK.

2. The defense was dominant before Cushing's injury (and Joseph's injury to a different extent). Now the defense has trouble stopping the run, can't come up with key stops, and has trouble freeing up space for edge rushers. Gee, seems like problems a team might have when it LOSES ITS ALL-PRO INSIDE LINEBACKER.

So how is Kubiak suddenly more of an idiot than before, or Wade out of tricks, or Schaub suddenly a terrible QB who needs to be cut? It's the worst kind of reactionary thinking to look at a losing streak and trumpet abstract character pronouncements instead of looking at logical causes. It's one thing to argue that the team should have gone all-in for a super bowl run last offseason by keeping Winston and Briesel and going after a FA wide receiver, but if you are one of these "this guy sucks!" people, then you should probably take a deep breath, remove the sportstalk station from your speed dial, and spit the paste out of your mouth because you are a moron.
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #2
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Real Talk

Thanks for your insight. I don't know what I would've done without this thread. I mean you're the only one saying the things you've just said. I appreciate you for setting me straight. I'll stop being a moron from now on. Thanks once again for your valuable public service.
Old 01-03-2013   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh, OK.

Thanks for clearing all that up with us.

Gary doesn't need one more enabler, bo. I applaud the effort, though...you're sitting back, watching all the commotion, and you figure "Well, everybody is already saying the same thing...hmmm...I'll put forward a stinging rebuke and provide THE reasons why what they say is not so."

Unfortunately, bo, the buck stops with the HC. And the next person on that list is always the QB. And these two individuals are unfortunately tied to one another. OL issues? Cushing out? So why are we running to the wrong side of the OL, bo? Why is Foster not chipping a blitzing defender while Wade Smith decides to combo block on Brown's man? Why won't the HC let his QB alter a passing play at the LOS, bo? Why did this HC decide Schaub was "The Man" and permit or endorse a deal with him after the first game, bo?

I'm sorry, often times the most obvious answer is the one that habitually and routinely and matter-of-factly smacks us right on our noses.

The main problem is that this team's HC is soft. He's soft for his ST coach whom he can't find it within himself to fire. He was soft with the two previous d-coordinators who were awful and it took intervention by others to get Wade in here to help Gary out. He's soft for guys that don't produce. He can't look at game-deciding field goals. His play calls on 3rd and long are hilariously soft. His team plays soft. Soft, soft, soft, SOFT. You can't get around it, bo. Dude is soft.

He's a coordinator.
Old 01-03-2013   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Thanks for your insight. I don't know what I would've done without this thread. I mean you're the only one saying the things you've just said. I appreciate you for setting me straight. I'll stop being a moron from now on. Thanks once again for your valuable public service.
Well ... maybe it's really Bo Orlando from the Oilers via WV . Maybe he's the ex pro safety and knows .
Old 01-03-2013   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's right, you know.

And you're right, it's been said a thousand times before in here. No need being an ass about it though. I must have said "Fire Kubiak" a thousand times already. And I'll continue saying it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #6
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
He's right, you know.

And you're right, it's been said a thousand times before in here. No need being an ass about it though. I must have said "Fire Kubiak" a thousand times already. And I'll continue saying it.

No need to be an ass?! Message boards were created so that people could be *******s to one another man!
Old 01-03-2013   #7
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

While I can understand the sentiment there are a couple of things.

1. Butler's injury is irrelevant. He got beat out by that 7th round pick before he got injured. In other words, he was going to be on the bench and could not play any better than Newton. I remember watching them tightly in preseason and he did absolutely nothing of regard and separate himself from Newton. Secondly, the musical chairs at guard had nothing to do with injury either. Kubiak had issues with the running game and performance and that is when he began rotating Ben Jones in. Caldwell wasn't performing great. Simple as that. You're searching for something there but it is as simple as the guys aren't playing very consistent.

2. Injuries are part of the game. Folks really need to stop that as an excuse because every single team has them. The best coaches learn to adapt and put the tools at their disposal in the best situation for results. As for the edge rushers that has little to do with Cush. With Watt's emergence the edge guys have had one on one blocking. If they can't beat one on one blocks that is on them. They would have the same if Cush is there. But really have to stop with the injuries. Even with them we were still a more talented team than the Colts and Vikings.

I'm all for your sentiment. At the same time your points don't really do anything to change that tide. I can understand the frustrations of others and have no issues with their reactions. Just how some fans are and they just want the team we all love to play to it's true potential. Nothing wrong with that.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2013   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No need to be an ass?! Message boards were created so that people could be *******s to one another man!
* heavy sigh *

OK, you're right as well. And for today, that does it for me admitting others are right.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

When all else fails.............blame the long snapper!

Damn you, Weeks!!!

Old 01-03-2013   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
While I can understand the sentiment there are a couple of things.

1. Butler's injury is irrelevant. He got beat out by that 7th round pick before he got injured. In other words, he was going to be on the bench and could not play any better than Newton. I remember watching them tightly in preseason and he did absolutely nothing of regard and separate himself from Newton. Secondly, the musical chairs at guard had nothing to do with injury either. Kubiak had issues with the running game and performance and that is when he began rotating Ben Jones in. Caldwell wasn't performing great. Simple as that. You're searching for something there but it is as simple as the guys aren't playing very consistent.

2. Injuries are part of the game. Folks really need to stop that as an excuse because every single team has them. The best coaches learn to adapt and put the tools at their disposal in the best situation for results. As for the edge rushers that has little to do with Cush. With Watt's emergence the edge guys have had one on one blocking. If they can't beat one on one blocks that is on them. They would have the same if Cush is there. But really have to stop with the injuries. Even with them we were still a more talented team than the Colts and Vikings.

I'm all for your sentiment. At the same time your points don't really do anything to change that tide. I can understand the frustrations of others and have no issues with their reactions. Just how some fans are and they just want the team we all love to play to it's true potential. Nothing wrong with that.
I would have gone with who I thought had the most talent and plugged them in at RG & RT .

What's funny is before the season we thought the Texans were stacked at many positions . Now it seems we have many holes at ILB , OLB , OL , DL , WR , TE , QB , CB , and K .
Old 01-03-2013   #11
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 810 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe if Kubiak's offense didn't lead the league in 3 and outs the d would actually get off the field. Those guys are beat up and worn out you can blame who you want.
ajohnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #12
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1426 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Oh, OK.

Thanks for clearing all that up with us.

Gary doesn't need one more enabler, bo. I applaud the effort, though...you're sitting back, watching all the commotion, and you figure "Well, everybody is already saying the same thing...hmmm...I'll put forward a stinging rebuke and provide THE reasons why what they say is not so."

Unfortunately, bo, the buck stops with the HC. And the next person on that list is always the QB. And these two individuals are unfortunately tied to one another. OL issues? Cushing out? So why are we running to the wrong side of the OL, bo? Why is Foster not chipping a blitzing defender while Wade Smith decides to combo block on Brown's man? Why won't the HC let his QB alter a passing play at the LOS, bo? Why did this HC decide Schaub was "The Man" and permit or endorse a deal with him after the first game, bo?

I'm sorry, often times the most obvious answer is the one that habitually and routinely and matter-of-factly smacks us right on our noses.

The main problem is that this team's HC is soft. He's soft for his ST coach whom he can't find it within himself to fire. He was soft with the two previous d-coordinators who were awful and it took intervention by others to get Wade in here to help Gary out. He's soft for guys that don't produce. He can't look at game-deciding field goals. His play calls on 3rd and long are hilariously soft. His team plays soft. Soft, soft, soft, SOFT. You can't get around it, bo. Dude is soft.

He's a coordinator.

He's far from a perfect HC, which we all know. But one year (more than one year actually) they're dominating with ball control and hitting big plays like crazy, then all of a sudden the next year the run game is a struggle and the play action is getting blown up. Is that happening because Schaub sucks or because Kubiak is soft? Or is it happening because there's a giant hole on the right side of the line?

The defense dominates every game before Cushing gets hurt, then afterward they can't get a key stop to save their lives. Is that also because Kubiak's soft? Was he soft when the team rallied behind a rookie QB and roughed up Baltimore on the road in the playoffs? Or is he just soft when the team loses when they're favored?
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson80 View Post
Maybe if Kubiak's offense didn't lead the league in 3 and outs the d would actually get off the field. Those guys are beat up and worn out you can blame who you want.
Got a source for that assertion?

Kind of odd for a team to lead the league in time of possession for the entire season and also lead in 3 and outs.

Also kind of odd to say the D which was on the field the least of any team in the NFL was beat up and worn out.
Old 01-03-2013   #14
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

He's a coordinator.
Mike... is that you?

ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #15
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 810 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Kind of odd for a team to lead the league in time of possession for the entire season and also lead in 3 and outs.

Also kind of odd to say the D which was on the field the least of any team in the NFL was beat up and worn out.
Well I heard it mentioned in the Colts game last week a couple times. I can't find the stats from a quick search I will do a better one when I have more time.
ajohnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Mike... is that you?

I really dogged that guy when he said we were soft.

And YES I'm now referencing him.

Because he was, and still is, CORRECT.
Old 01-03-2013   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson80 View Post
Well I heard it mentioned in the Colts game last week a couple times. I can't find the stats from a quick search I will do a better one when I have more time.
I did find that the Texans are 3rd in the league in punts with 88.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...seasonType=REG
Old 01-03-2013   #18
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Sources are immaterial. The assertion is fact enough on its own. Just like the assertion that Schaub isn't allowed to audible, etc etc, ad infinitum...
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
1. Butler's injury is irrelevant. He got beat out by that 7th round pick before he got injured.
Secondly, the musical chairs at guard had nothing to do with injury either. Kubiak had issues with the running game and performance and that is when he began rotating Ben Jones in. Caldwell wasn't performing great. Simple as that.
True, but I think Newton & Jones are both playing better than Butler & Caldwell. I think this shows that management didn't put all their eggs in one basket.

The fact that we managed to go 12-4 while working those guys in & dealing with an injury to Newton is more positive than not.

Quote:
2. Injuries are part of the game. Folks really need to stop that as an excuse because every single team has them. The best coaches learn to adapt and put the tools at their disposal in the best situation for results.
It's not an excuse. We're 12-4. We won our division & were 1 game away from the #1 seed despite our injuries.

You guys are acting like we missed the play-offs & we're trying to use the injuries as an excuse. Just like you're saying, we adapted to the situation, used the tools at our disposal to win our division & secure the #3 seed. It's not #1, but it's not #4 either.

Perspective. We aren't as good as the Patriots, while we had the opportunity to be the #1 seed, it wasn't real. You know it wasn't real. Paper Tiger, remember that? Right now, everyone is pissed off because what we are left with is not the best team in the NFL & they don't play like it.

Luckily we took care of business at the beginning of the season other wise we'd most likely be the Wild Card. At least we secured a home game. Now we've got to pull up our boots, and do the best we can to try & advance.

Quote:
As for the edge rushers that has little to do with Cush. With Watt's emergence the edge guys have had one on one blocking. If they can't beat one on one blocks that is on them. They would have the same if Cush is there. But really have to stop with the injuries. Even with them we were still a more talented team than the Colts and Vikings.
Without a doubt. We should have beat the Colts & the Vikings despite our injuries. You're absolutely right there is no excuse for that. Especially holding Peterson to less than 100 yards rushing. Holding the Colts to less than 270 yards of offense.

But that was yesterday. Nothing we can do about it. Every year, every team will win a game or two that they shouldn't. They'll lose a game or two that that shouldn't as well. We're not the #1 seed, but it ain't over.
Old 01-03-2013   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I did find that the Texans are 3rd in the league in punts with 88.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...seasonType=REG
Frog, you were to orthodox it by number of punts.
The Browns are so bad at net punting, the total net yardage is further down the list, LOL.

The number of punts don't tell you much.
First, it got skewed because of the two OT games.
Some teams elect to go on fourth down or to try a faked punt.
Some teams give away the ball before they get to third down.

There should be other factors involved.

What is true is that we led the league in time of possession percentage.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read