Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Earl Campbell: Team Captain for Saturday's game

gwallaia

Staff member
My email from the Texans states that Earl Campbell will be on the field as Team Captain Saturday. Get ready for a HUGE standing ovation for the greatest Oiler ever.

And instead of regular hotdogs they will be serving Earl Campbell's Hot Link Dogs.. a man can only dream.

Well that's too bad for Earl.

I hate to see him involved with this fecal movement called Texans "football" we're witnessing right now.

I wish he'd drill Gary in the chest. That's a bit harsh, I take that back. If I was going to say how I really feel, I'd say that. But I can't. So I won't say it.

I can't help but get more fanatic as gameday approaches. Normally I'd still be spewing venom right now, but this is a play-off game. If we don't win this it'll be our last game this season.

Time to put positive energy out into the atmosphere. Hopefully Earl being gets the stadium even more energized and we feed off that and come out like hell on wheels.

Man......that is awesome.
I think it is a great idea to bring him out before the game as honorary team captain. Great choice.
He should get a long standing ovation if you ask me. The grit and determination he played with ....you dont see that anymore.
The NBC Sports special they did on him awhile back sure brought back memories.

He could probably pick up more ypc than our guys now. Although thats not a fair statement since its really the OL.

Think Earl could block?

Thats kind of a mixed emotion deal bring Earl out. I love me some Earl, but during this slump its kinda sad in a way to do that to him.

Who knows maybe it will pump the team up some.

A really fun-loving and extremely positive guy who makes lemons out of lemonade every day. Will be great to honor him on the field.

It's really about time that this team really do more to connect with the history of the NFL in Houston and it's long time fans. It was great seeing Bum come out on the field before the playoff game last season. Seeing Earl will only be bigger.

Earl is also a Texans and an Arian Foster fan.

It's too bad the team is tanking and circling the drain though. This really could have been special season however chances are it's going to be remembered as the season of monumental collapse (unless a miracle happens and they turn it back on which rarely happens).

I would say something like I wish Earl would walk over there and kick Kubiak in the nuts however in the last few weeks Kubiak has demonstrated that he has nothing there to kick.

I just hope the team at least shows up for having Earl on the sidelines.

It's really about time that this team really do more to connect with the history of the NFL in Houston and it's long time fans. It was great seeing Bum come out on the field before the playoff game last season. Seeing Earl will only be bigger.

Earl is also a Texans and an Arian Foster fan.

It's too bad the team is tanking and circling the drain though. This really could have been special season however chances are it's going to be remembered as the season of monumental collapse (unless a miracle happens and they turn it back on which rarely happens).

Like GP was saying, I would say something like I wish Earl would walk over there and kick Kubiak in the nuts however in the last few weeks Kubiak has demonstrated that he has nothing there to kick.

I just hope the team at least shows up for having Earl on the sidelines.

Right, my team won a total of 3 games my last two years with the Oilers, and I'm going to go over there and kick the hell out of your family jewelry box. :)=P

Obviously, this will inspire many, but it sure ought to have a profoundly positive effect on a couple of Texans RBs.

It's always great to see a Houston football legend participating with this young franchise. It helps add history that they lack.

1225465_o.gif

I could just watch that all day. Ah, the good old days. When men were men, and your helmet was an officially sanctioned weapon of mass destruction.

Do you really have to crap in every thread?

Earl is an icon, not only in this city, but in the history of the NFL. I just hope that he is not being used like another cheap letter man jacket gimmick. Most of us would cherish seeing him out there, even without a playoff game. I would hope that the Texans bring home a win to bring honor to his appearance.

I'll be sure to bring along a box of kleenex!! I truly get that emotional when I see Earl!! Oh the memories!! I can always use what's left to wipe away the tears after the game is over! HOPEFULLY, tears of joy!!

My email from the Texans states that Earl Campbell will be on the field as Team Captain Saturday. Get ready for a HUGE standing ovation for the greatest Oiler ever.

I can't put it any better than that!

As for a slumping team "doing this to him" I sincerely doubt Earl feels anything less than honored by this gesture. The man has always been one of the positive figures out there.

I imagine he is very honored and touched by what the Texans have bestowed on him.

While I'm for anything Earl gets , it does seem like Bob pulled out the Drayton playbook .

I don't get the criticism here. It's not like McNair is exploiting Earl's good name for a pre season game, or something. This is a good chance for Houston to pay tribute to a legend and tap into some positive energy for a playoff game.

Earl can't help them once the game starts, they are on their own then.

Amen to that.

I don't get the criticism here. It's not like McNair is exploiting Earl's good name for a pre season game, or something. This is a good chance for Houston to pay tribute to a legend and tap into some positive energy for a playoff game.

It'll be the best part of the game, that much I can be certain of.

Question is this: Can Gary Kubiak watch Earl walk out there, or does he need a coach to watch FOR him and then signal to Gary that Earl did, indeed, make it onto the field and convert the symbolic gesture?

Anticipation builds.......

I hate to see him involved with this fecal movement called Texans "football" we're witnessing right now.

I wish he'd drill Gary in the chest. That's a bit harsh, I take that back. If I was going to say how I really feel, I'd say that. But I can't. So I won't say it.

Amen to that.

Question is this: Can Gary Kubiak watch Earl walk out there, or does he need a coach to watch FOR him and then signal to Gary that Earl did, indeed, make it onto the field and convert the symbolic gesture?

Wow! Never had to block someone before but gonna have to pull the trigger on this guy. He's an absolute douche.

Wow! Never had to block someone before but gonna have to pull the trigger on this guy. He's an absolute douche.
yeah, I'm a little freaked (expectations being crushed with doses of reality) on the team but hell, I'm an old Oiler fan. This is what I trained for. I think GP was an ex-Comet fan - those guys are used to titles....Friggin' period!

No sense in a dog-cussing when it doesn't go as planned. I'll take Bob Knight's really awful advice on this one and sit back and enjoy the moment on Saturday.

yeah, I'm a little freaked (expectations being crushed with doses of reality) on the team but hell, I'm an old Oiler fan. This is what I trained for.

This.

I'm used to being a Houston sports fan and have learned to live with it. It could always be worse.

I can't see how they are exploiting Earl in all of this. It's the first play-off game, IN Houston, in an extremely long time. I can see why they would want to honor a Houston football legend. It may be the only thing we have a smile on our faces for over the next 60 minutes.

While I'm for anything Earl gets , it does seem like Bob pulled out the Drayton playbook .

Yes, that appears to be the case. All show, very little accountability.

Love Earl,

Greatest RB I've ever seen and yes there will be a tear in my eye when I see him on the field Saturday.

WTH?

Really, I guess you should to go to Costco to buy a new coach, along with some perspective and common decency.

It is totally possible in this world to talk football in a rational, logical way without saying repugnant, overly-personal things about other human beings, especially someone whose goal is the same as yours and is working a lot harder than you are to try to make it happen. Adulthood. I know "fan" comes from the word "fanatic," but geez, we can't celebrate one of Houston's sports heroes being cheered once again by the fans who love him without someone wishing the head coach physical harm?

Kubiak has won more games this year than any Bum Phillips Oilers team ever did. I guess you would have wanted Bum stabbed in the heart with a trident or something.

So you are saying you are exploiting Earl for your TT username?

Why do we have to overthink everything? Why can't a lovely gesture that would make everybody happy just be that?

Earl is Houston Football. Houston loves him more than anyone. I cried when Bum came out on the field last year before last year's Bengals game, and I'll likely cry on Saturday.

McNair has honored Oilers in the past. I went to the Luv Ya Blue reunion years ago that McNair hosted, and it is one of my favorite memories. I met Bethea, Pastorini, Culp, Dr. Doom, Bum, bunches of folks in the way back machine. And they appreciated that McNair wanted them a part of the Texans, even if they weren't officially part of our HoF history, because Houston has their memories. They are our history.

(Robert Brazile looked like he could still play. Big dude for a LB, especially for his era. Ahead of his time).

Ok I am quite sure I am going to get flamed on this by why is Earl Campbell going to be a captain for a team he never played for?

As much as folks like to think, Earl Campbell is not apart of the Houston Texans, he is a, and I hate to even type this, Oiler/Titan. Everything that is Earl Campbell belongs to the Titans, so why are the Texans doing this?

If it is to throw a big middle finger at Bud Adams, then by all mean, but if it is to inspire or motivate the Texans in some way, I don't see the logic using a player that has never put on your uniform....

It would almost be like the Baltimore Ravens having Johnny Unitas as a captain because Unitas played in Baltimore, even though Unitas belongs to Indy. Just doesn't make sense...

Ok I am quite sure I am going to get flamed on this by why is Earl Campbell going to be a captain for a team he never played for?

As much as folks like to think, Earl Campbell is not apart of the Houston Texans, he a, and I hate to even type this, Oiler/Titan. Everything that is Earl Campbell belongs to the Titans, so why are the Texans doing this?

If it is to throw a big middle finger at Bud Adams, then by all mean, but if it is to inspire or motivate the Texans in some way, I don't see the logic using a player that has never put on your uniform....

They do honorary team captains for every game. Sometimes GHW Bush, sometimes celebs, sometimes former players. The logic is that hey cool, most people like cool stuff, aren't grumpy curmudgeons.

And no, Earl Campbell doesn't belong to the Titans. The NFL might say that for HoF purposes. But Earl played in Houston. We love him, he loves us. That's the real history.

So, no big deal, but big deal because EARL!!!!!!! Has nothing to do with Bud.

I'm not flaming you, but this is just basic history. And respect.

They do honorary team captains for every game. Sometimes GHW Bush, sometimes celebs, sometimes former players. The logic is that hey cool, most people like cool stuff, aren't grumpy curmudgeons.

And no, Earl Campbell doesn't belong to the Titans. The NFL might say that for HoF purposes. But Earl played in Houston. We love him, he loves us. That's the real history.

So, no big deal, but big deal because EARL!!!!!!! Has nothing to do with Bud.

I'm not flaming you, but this is just basic history. And respect.

But all his records belong to the Titans, ergo he belongs to the Titans...Is this just some fascination that Houston fans have?

Never was an Oiler fan, lived too far north to catch any of the Oilers games, unless they were giving up a 35-3 lead on NBC,(sorry, had to get that one in!) so I never understood the logic behind this. Yes he played for the city, but the team left, and took all his records with it...right?

But all his records belong to the Titans, ergo he belongs to the Titans...Is this just some fascination that Houston fans have?

Never was an Oiler fan, lived too far north to catch any of the Oilers games, unless they were giving up a 35-3 lead on NBC, so I never understood the logic behind this. Yes he played for the city, but the team left, and took all his records with it...right?

OK, most people who are not infants, and lived in Houston love Earl Campbell. Ergo Honorary Captain. And rightfully so.

Go on YouTube. Type in Earl Campbell highlights. Marvel at stuff that people aren't supposed to do.

And then chill, friend. Houston, Texas: home of the Texans. And Earl.

Earl never played for the Titans. Earl was and still is a beloved person in this area, heck across all of Texas and probably most of the country. He played for Bum. Bum's son is a coach for the Texans. Earl was a Skoal Brother, but most of all a Texan.
Great move, can't hurt that's for sure.

Seriously? Are people so dang cranky they are complaining about EARL FREAKING CAMPBELL coming to Reliant???!!!!

I can't wrap my head around that. That's absurd even by flying off the handle standards.

Never was an Oiler fan, lived too far north to catch any of the Oilers games, unless they were giving up a 35-3 lead on NBC, so I never understood the logic behind this. Yes he played for the city, but the team left, and took all his records with it...right?

Look buddy, I don't play by Bud's rules.

Earl Campbell never played a down in Tennessee, he played in Houston. To act like we don't own our own history and memories is absurd. Personally I find it absurd for a Titan fan to honor him or OUR history in anyway unless he/she was one of the 0.00001% that were already Oiler fans.

The minute they went to Possum Holler is the moment their history began.

Never was an Oiler fan?? Then why comment on something you clearly, and by your own admission cannot understand?

Never was an Oiler fan, lived too far north to catch any of the Oilers games, unless they were giving up a 35-3 lead on NBC,(sorry, had to get that one in!) so I never understood the logic behind this. Yes he played for the city, but the team left, and took all his records with it...right?

Eh - I don't think it's that difficult to understand. I know prior to his passing, Johnny Unitas considered himself much more alligned with the Baltimore Ravens than the Indianapolis Colts who he pretty much disowned after they moved.

Earl's beloved in Houston and in Texas. I'm sure he's respected in Tennessee, but not having any claim to Earl during his playing career, I'm sure he's not viewed the same way by professional football fans in Nashville as he is in Houston. There's a deep affection for Earl in this city. I'm very happy the Texans have recognized and will honor that affection.

In 78 I was just a young lad, but I remember well the Tyler Rose running like a raging bull, not through people, just ran them over. Still remember the MNF game in the dome against the Dolphins and the performance Earl put on that night, incredible.
The man was a beast. He ran with 110% effort every time he got the ball. He played for the HOUSTON Oilers.

For your viewing pleasure.

Eh - I don't think it's that difficult to understand. I know prior to his passing, Johnny Unitas considered himself much more alligned with the Baltimore Ravens than the Indianapolis Colts who he pretty much disowned after they moved.

Earl's beloved in Houston and in Texas. I'm sure he's respected in Tennessee, but not having any claim to Earl during his playing career, I'm sure he's not viewed the same way by professional football fans in Nashville as he is in Houston. There's a deep affection for Earl in this city. I'm very happy the Texans have recognized and will honor that affection.

Exactly. People will find a way to inject negativity in everything. They would probably complain about winning a superbowl by a field goal.:wadepalm:

Earl-Campbell.jpg

i0007317.jpg

Ask Earl Campbell if he's a Titan. He'll not only tell you no, but he might give you a shoot no. Earl wants nothing to do with anything Tennessee.

And you might have to look up Titan stats to see Earl's but that really doesn't mean a whole lot. He isn't any more a Titan than Jim Hart is an Arizona Cardinal, or Johnny U is a beloved hero in Indianapolis. Hell, Jim Brown's stats are with the new Cleveland Browns. The franchise he played for is in Baltimore. Where you have to look up the stats doesn't mean jack.

Earl Campbell IS Houston football. End of story.

I hope they throw the Youtube highlight clip up on the big screen as he goes out there. I watched it just the other day with my ten year-old to show him what a beast we had in the backfield when I was his age.

I hope they throw the Youtube highlight clip up on the big screen as he goes out there. I watched it just the other day with my ten year-old to show him what a beast we had in the backfield when I was his age.

That would be a great way to introduce Earl.

Ignorance.

Earl was a HOUSTON Oiler ... never a Titan.

This is all mental head games. As far as I'm concerned, the Oilers have died and gone to History. IMO the history still belongs to Houston whether it does in actuality or not.

Seriously? Are people so dang cranky they are complaining about EARL FREAKING CAMPBELL coming to Reliant???!!!!

I can't wrap my head around that. That's absurd even by flying off the handle standards.

Only because I don't want Earl associated with this year's version of Texans.

I think it'd be better for the Texans organization to send out another former Houston player that symbolizes their trending status of late.

I started to think Tony Boselli, but it doesn't fit.

Maybe it should be that WR out of North Carolina who was on our roster for 3 days before he quit...that guy who was a self-proclaimed "Next Andre Johnson."

Amen to that.

I think it'd be better for the Texans organization to send out another former Houston player that symbolizes their trending status of late.

Maybe it should be that WR out of North Carolina who was on our roster for 3 days before he quit...that guy who was a self-proclaimed "Next Andre Johnson."

I really wish you werent a Texans "fan" or on the message board. You seem to be more moody and have more swings than a teenage girl hitting her first cycle. If you read the history of the game day threads any single bad play sends you into a meltdown and it seems that you have at least 3-4 distinct personalities. Ive also noted how often you will say "go back and look at my post and I was right" the interesting part is if you went back and read all of your posts you make damn near everyone possible prediction as you are all over the map. Interesting to see a so called "fan" be so abysmally critical

"The trending status of late?" They lost football games. That they wanted to win. That sucks. But they didn't kill your dog. It isn't a personal affront to you. It's football. Stuff happens both wonderful and less than wonderful.

Earl lost games he wanted to win too. He never played for a 12-win NFL team. Probably best you weren't on message boards back then, or you might have had an aneurysm. "WHAT!!! 60,000+ Houstonians showing up to celebrate a losing football teams at the Astrodome? Bud Adams should run Bum Phillips out of town!!!"

So you thinking maybe Jim Eddy and the entire secondary of the 93 Oilers team that blew the 35-3 lead to Buffalo?

I have never personally banned anyone (outside of spammers) however if I ever had to ban anyone it would be due to this kind of talk. That is blasphemy around these parts.:)

Back