Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Blog post where I explain everything and nothing.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
My unified theory of the 2012 Texans and the meaning of life

I explain everything. Focus on penalties, offensive scheme stuff, what is wrong, what is fixable, what is not, what may need to be bandaided, and how momentum is a crock and all sorts of philosophy stuff.

It is an odd blog post. I've been told that some folks prefer my stranger blog posts. Learned stuff when writing it, maybe you will too. Hope you like it.

I don't know Steph. I do not remember many fans blaming penalties or tightends as reasons for the losses against Vikes and Colts. Maybe it is just frustration but many point to Kubiak & Schaub (as you know). Yes, QB gets too much credit for wins and too much grief for losses; yet neither of these two looked or acted as if they have a clue. We get it that Matt is better than 70% of other QBs but he is ours so comparing him doesn't do much as we are stuck with him for one more guaranteed year @$7.5m base and $11m cap. If he acted as if he was in charge, as if he was curling on the ground in sack position rather than throwing inerrantly into hands of the D, most of could buy that. Rather he is over throwing, underthrowing and flat out missing targets. He throws a pass to AJ that goes for two yards and Johnson gets knocked silly. Is that the best use of still one of the best WRs in NFL? Sure the younger WRs are questions but we saw Matt again throw inaccurately to Jean. Our LBs will be better with Cushing's return + a probable high round draft pick. Our QBs will remain the same with maybe another late round pick and/or another UDFA ala Case Keenum.

Yes fans are calling radio talk shows to complain but as I recall, Texans were favored by most including Las Vegas to win. Texans fans were not the only ones over rating Texans. It does not look like lack of talent is our primary issue. Same basic talent won 12 and should have won the last two. It is good to be 12-4 and still in hunt. It is not so good watching how we lost those four games and thinking 50-50 we advance past Bengals. "Wait until next year!" will probably remain our battle cry.

I was in Abaco, Bahamas pretty much the same time you were away. Unfortunately, I was able to view the game live from my villa. Count yourself lucky that real time did not mess up your reel time like it did mine.

Good contribution to the Texans experience, per usual. But the ying I saw last Sunday is greater than your yang. :fostering:

I don't know Steph. I do not remember many fans blaming penalties or tightends as reasons for the losses against Vikes and Colts. Maybe it is just frustration but many point to Kubiak & Schaub (as you know). Yes, QB gets too much credit for wins and too much grief for losses; yet neither of these two looked or acted as if they have a clue. We get it that Matt is better than 70% of other QBs but he is ours so comparing him doesn't do much as we are stuck with him for one more guaranteed year @$7.5m base and $11m cap. If he acted as if he was in charge, as if he was curling on the ground in sack position rather than throwing inerrantly into hands of the D, most of could buy that. Rather he is over throwing, underthrowing and flat out missing targets. He throws a pass to AJ that goes for two yards and Johnson gets knocked silly. Is that the best use of still one of the best WRs in NFL? Sure the younger WRs are questions but we saw Matt again throw inaccurately to Jean. Our LBs will be better with Cushing's return + a probable high round draft pick. Our QBs will remain the same with maybe another late round pick and/or another UDFA ala Case Keenum.

Yes fans are calling radio talk shows to complain but as I recall, Texans were favored by most including Las Vegas to win. Texans fans were not the only ones over rating Texans. It does not look like lack of talent is our primary issue. Same basic talent won 12 and should have won the last two. It is good to be 12-4 and still in hunt. It is not so good watching how we lost those four games and thinking 50-50 we advance past Bengals. "Wait until next year!" will probably remain our battle cry.

I agree with EVERYTHING you said there. ALL OF IT!

I am getting so sick and tired of this automated Matt Schaub Response System that has to tell us that Matt is the guy we need but not the QB we deserve.

Give me a ****ing break with that already! I guess as a fan base we're just too freaking nice and jolly and carefree to give two dollops of **** about REAL RESULTS.

No, no sir. Nope. Uh-uh.

I've heard it all on here over the years: (1) Bob brought football back to Houston, so shut up!, and (2) You have to stick with a guy like Gary because _______ (whatever pet theory someone has goes here), and (3) As if any new coach is going to come in and install new systems and make it any better, and (4) Matt Schaub has one billions yards and is like Top Whatever in this category and that category. I mean, come one guys!, how can he do all of those things and be a guy we need to bench/cut/run out of town on a rail?!?!?

Is there no end to excuses? I guess there's not.

No offense to the OP, and all that jazz, but I have no stomach to read any person's critique that paints a sunny picture of this FRANCHISE. Band aids, gauze pads, plastic surgery, injections of adamantium into the bone marrow of players, alternate universes with separate story lines and alter egos and crap, who gives a "gosh darn and golly gee shucks" at this point what might or might not help/hurt/cure/kill...this team is missing more than just luck with injuries or luck with refs or whatever else can be cooked up. The posters I have seen around here, hardly any of them are blaming anything that shouldn't be blamed. We're all suffering this moment together, shocked that we've been lulled into "hoping" again. As always.

This team is broken. It manages to beat up on only the slow and unwitting, the dregs of NFL society who can't defend themselves from massive pillow fight brawls. When we play a team who punches us FIRST, we curl up into a ball and shrivel away and play scared the rest of the game. As if they DARE! to offer resistance to us.

That's not a tough team, that's a team who falsely believes in itself and hates it when they get exposed. That's on their leader: Gary Kubiak. Period.

Want to know why people clamor for Bill Cowher, even though he's not a legitimate HC choice (to me he's not, at least, not anymore)? Because of his ability to make his team believe in themselves for almost a decade or more. Good GM? Yes they had one when he was there. Good players? Yes, they got a great QB to end those dry spells Cowher had previously. But all in all, no matter what, those Steelers teams believed in themselves to the HILT.

THAT, you can respect. THAT you can admire. I cannot believe this group of Texans let opportunity slip through their fingers so easily. With hardly a whimper! That's on Gary. All the way. And you can't band-aid Gary Kubiak in any shape form or fashion. He's un-bandaid-able. /end.

Gary can have his next three years. Do your best, Gary. Have at it.

5561690.jpeg

pt_1608_3925_t.jpg

GP you are the ****in man!

It's all I got left.

I feel like that guy who posts Dallas Cowboys video reviews on YouTube after they have a bad loss.

Funny how I felt so sorry for him back then, earlier in the season, and here I am melting down JUST like that dude did. What a difference a few ****ty games can make in your outlook on your team's future, eh?

I think Matt saying "Suh is not Texans worthy" was our mojo-losing moment.

I had an argument with, I think it was ObsiWon or PencilNeck or someone, and I was saying it wasn't a big deal. I think now have decided that I was wrong, it WAS a bad move. I think Matt spoke things he should not have spoken. Right then and there is when we got tainted.

I'll admit, sometimes the Texans are Will Smith when we need to be Tupac.

Texans, however, will have their slap the **** out of you moments. I think this is the month they do it. If they REALLY want to let old **** go, it'll happen this month for sure.

Or, well, we're making songs about going to Miami or the Summertime.

Gary can have his next three years. Do your best, Gary. Have at it.

No, I concede. You know more about running a franchise than McNair, Smith or Kubiak. I can finally agree - blow the whole thing up and start over. Can we at least forfeit the playoff game first to save us further humiliation?

No, I concede. You know more about running a franchise than McNair, Smith or Kubiak. I can finally agree - blow the whole thing up and start over. Can we at least forfeit the playoff game first to save us further humiliation?

I honestly downt know who is being sarcastic anymore.

Thanks Gary and Matt!

...to get some answers for my own self because I was sort of angsty in college. Which is a drag for everyone.
laugh-1.gif

I don’t get on many email lists, but I’ve mentioned before how I like the one done by Chapelwood Church’s Dr. Jim Jackson.
Jim is a great guy -- one of the best of us, imo.

Everybody has different ways of dealing with expectations and disappointment. For some, chronic, reflexive complaining is a good defensive mechanism to deal with the reality that 31 teams are losers every year, and that even teams that are very, very good and have great coaching don’t win the whole thing. If you are negative, you will likely be right. And joy and belief are for suckers and courting misery.
Spot on.

Steph, easily your best work. I've tweeted and twixted and facebooked it in every way I know how. Great job. :clap:

I am getting so sick and tired of this automated Matt Schaub Response System that has to tell us that Matt is the guy we need but not the QB we deserve.

You know what I'm sick and tired of??

People that hate schaub and kubiak so much so, that they're too stupid to realize that the special teams AND DEFENSE suck too.

HEY DEFENSE... Get off the field v. the Colts in the 4th quarter.

Ya see, there's a difference between fans that can criticize the entire team versus people with personal agendas.

People that hate schaub and kubiak so much so, that they're too stupid to realize that the special teams AND DEFENSE suck too.

Ya see, there's a difference between fans that can criticize the entire team versus people with personal agendas.

Hey, the Titans had the ball for less than 10 minutes while burning all of the Texans time-outs. What the hell was Schaub doing hiding behind Kubiak's menu? :kitten::pinned:

I agree with EVERYTHING you said there. ALL OF IT!

Give me a ****ing break with that already! I guess as a fan base we're just too freaking nice and jolly and carefree to give two dollops of **** about REAL RESULTS.

No, no sir. Nope. Uh-uh.

I've heard it all on here over the years: (1) Bob brought football back to Houston, so shut up!, and (2) You have to stick with a guy like Gary because _______ (whatever pet theory someone has goes here), and (3) As if any new coach is going to come in and install new systems and make it any better, and (4) Matt Schaub has one billions yards and is like Top Whatever in this category and that category. I mean, come one guys!, how can he do all of those things and be a guy we need to bench/cut/run out of town on a rail?!?!?

Is there no end to excuses? I guess there's not.

No offense to the OP, and all that jazz, but I have no stomach to read any person's critique that paints a sunny picture of this FRANCHISE. Band aids, gauze pads, plastic surgery, injections of adamantium into the bone marrow of players, alternate universes with separate story lines and alter egos and crap, who gives a "gosh darn and golly gee shucks" at this point what might or might not help/hurt/cure/kill...this team is missing more than just luck with injuries or luck with refs or whatever else can be cooked up. The posters I have seen around here, hardly any of them are blaming anything that shouldn't be blamed. We're all suffering this moment together, shocked that we've been lulled into "hoping" again. As always.

This team is broken. It manages to beat up on only the slow and unwitting, the dregs of NFL society who can't defend themselves from massive pillow fight brawls. When we play a team who punches us FIRST, we curl up into a ball and shrivel away and play scared the rest of the game. As if they DARE! to offer resistance to us.

That's not a tough team, that's a team who falsely believes in itself and hates it when they get exposed. That's on their leader: Gary Kubiak. Period.

Want to know why people clamor for Bill Cowher, even though he's not a legitimate HC choice (to me he's not, at least, not anymore)? Because of his ability to make his team believe in themselves for almost a decade or more. Good GM? Yes they had one when he was there. Good players? Yes, they got a great QB to end those dry spells Cowher had previously. But all in all, no matter what, those Steelers teams believed in themselves to the HILT.

THAT, you can respect. THAT you can admire. I cannot believe this group of Texans let opportunity slip through their fingers so easily. With hardly a whimper! That's on Gary. All the way. And you can't band-aid Gary Kubiak in any shape form or fashion. He's un-bandaid-able. /end.

I feel ya, GP. It's just one thing after another with this team. "Gary Kubiak is an offensive genius".. Oh really, Is he? I have always disagreed with that statement. Good/Great offensive minds in the NFL are chameleons. Constantly changing things up, tearing up the play book every week. Gary's conservative nature is in his bones. The league is passing him by, and he continues to cling to this zone blocking schema that is not working (at least against teams worth a hoot). At the beginning of the season, we would be up 24+ points on a team, and give the ball to Foster for his 32nd carry of the game. Uh, talk about not looking ahead. We have a QB who cannot throw a receiver open. A QB who does not go through his progressions. A QB who cringes like he's being stabbed every time he gets sacked. A QB who cannot improvise. A QB that has SERIOUS problems in the redzone. Eeeeeesh! Not good!

The defense is just as guilty. Bradie James was lined up against TY Hilton on that 3rd & 23 TD. Absolutely unacceptable, why was he even on the freaking field? Connor Barwin, getting owned by Luck's hard count. Connor Barwin, generating zero pass rush all season long. Quin/Manning constantly caught out of position. The fact that Brandon Harris received ZERO PT until we had no other options is puzzling to say the least. We traded back into the 2nd round to draft the guy, and it takes massive injuries & 1.5 seasons to get into a game?

Special teams... hahaha, they've been so great.. I have no problems with the job they are doing. :kitten:

Our schedule is brutal next year. I'll leave it at that.

Kubiak is the Head Coach, and Schaub is the QB... Blame always begins with the HC & QB.

Hey, the Titans had the ball for less than 10 minutes while burning all of the Texans time-outs. What the hell was Schaub doing hiding behind Kubiak's menu? :kitten::pinned:

HUH??? That makes no sense to me bro. :thinking: Sorry bro, I've had an adult beverage, :thinking: or five! :slapfight:

I feel ya, GP. It's just one thing after another with this team. "Gary Kubiak is an offensive genius".. Oh really, Is he? I have always disagreed with that statement. Good/Great offensive minds in the NFL are chameleons. Constantly changing things up, tearing up the play book every week. Gary's conservative nature is in his bones. The league is passing him by, and he continues to cling to this zone blocking schema that is not working (at least against teams worth a hoot). At the beginning of the season, we would be up 24+ points on a team, and give the ball to Foster for his 32nd carry of the game. Uh, talk about not looking ahead. We have a QB who cannot throw a receiver open. A QB who does not go through his progressions. A QB who cringes like he's being stabbed every time he gets sacked. A QB who cannot improvise. A QB that has SERIOUS problems in the redzone. Eeeeeesh! Not good!

The defense is just as guilty. Bradie James was lined up against TY Hilton on that 3rd & 23 TD. Absolutely unacceptable, why was he even on the freaking field? Connor Barwin, getting owned by Luck's hard count. Connor Barwin, generating zero pass rush all season long. Quin/Manning constantly caught out of position. The fact that Brandon Harris received ZERO PT until we had no other options is puzzling to say the least. We traded back into the 2nd round to draft the guy, and it takes massive injuries & 1.5 seasons to get into a game?

Special teams... hahaha, they've been so great.. I have no problems with the job they are doing. :kitten:

Our schedule is brutal next year. I'll leave it at that.

Greaaaaaaaaaaat, more "schedule is brutal" talk. Y'all are going to do this AGAIN?

Stephanie, thank you for always providing the best explanation available for the Texans' offensive strategy. Most people don't even realize how the entire dynamic works, and it's important to know exactly how the system is being thrown off schedule. More importantly, content like this makes it easier for me to win bar debates about the Texans.

One thing that stood out to me in this post was that you passed on the opportunity to dig deeper into Schaub's December performance. My guess is that you are waiting for more evidence before drawing conclusions. For me, I have enough data to confidently armchair diagnose this one: Schaub may not be the only problem, but he is the problem that a playoff team can least afford.

As someone who has read most of your blog posts, I know that you are a big-picture, systemic analyzer. You look at what the system is trying to accomplish, and identify what actions need to be taken for it to execute. But if Schaub does not revert to September form by this Saturday, it will be impossible to attribute the loss to a systemic problem.

Last edited:
Great article Steph thanks, and I hope that it reaches some of these fans who are standing on the ledge ready to jump. Oh never mind... Let them jump!

BTW... How is "Bob The Weed" doing this year?

GO TEXANS!

Stephanie, thank you for always providing the best explanation available for the Texans' offensive strategy. Most people don't even realize how the entire dynamic works, and it's important to know exactly how the system is being thrown off schedule. More importantly, content like this makes it easier for me to win bar debates about the Texans.

One thing that stood out to me in this post was that you passed on the opportunity to dig deeper into Schaub's December performance. My guess is that you are waiting for more evidence before drawing conclusions. For me, I have enough data to confidently armchair diagnose this one: Schaub may not be the only problem, but he is the problem that a playoff team can least afford.

As someone who has read most of your blog posts, I know that you are a big-picture, systemic analyzer. You look at what the system is trying to accomplish, and identify what actions need to be taken for it to execute. But if Schaub does not revert to September form by this Saturday, it will be impossible to attribute the loss to a systemic problem.

I don't think Schaub needs to play September form to win. His stats in September are artificially awesome because they didn't need him much because the defense was killing. It would be great to see the Denver game Schaub, and that is possible but the entire team played better that game too.

As much as people talk about a December swoon, his October numbers were worse.

Kubiak explains everything in his presser. The Texans offense is a team offense. And if they aren't playing clean, Andre Johnson can only do so much to bail everybody out.

The deal is that when the Texans are playing their best, the offense feeds the defense and vice versa. See this from October: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/41840/texans-more-offense-or-defense

They've got this gaudy record while dealing with a lot of stuff. Every team deals with stuff, but not every team wins.

Great article Steph thanks, and I hope that it reaches some of these fans who are standing on the ledge ready to jump. Oh never mind... Let them jump!

BTW... How is "Bob The Weed" doing this year?

GO TEXANS!

Thanks.

The yard guy cut down Bob The Weed a long time ago. I'm fixing to find Yoshi The Bamboo to plant in the backyard because someone is building three monolith houses near by that I want to block out.

My unified theory of the 2012 Texans and the meaning of life

I explain everything. Focus on penalties, offensive scheme stuff, what is wrong, what is fixable, what is not, what may need to be bandaided, and how momentum is a crock and all sorts of philosophy stuff.

It is an odd blog post. I've been told that some folks prefer my stranger blog posts. Learned stuff when writing it, maybe you will too. Hope you like it.

Good read, except you completely glossed over the two INTs... That's also uncharacteristic of this team. Two in one game... The James Casey one, looked like Schaub hesitated. I know all we can do is speculate as to why that was intercepted. Schaub makes that exact throw a dozen times a year & it's never picked off like that.

Flirting with disaster... maybe, because it almost happened on a similar throw to Andre.

Whatever the "reason" may be, I think we see Matt trying to play "outside" himself. After that throw, he started overthrowing balls & our guys have no chance to get those. I'm warming up to the idea that underthrowing is the way to go.

I do agree with you, that the dumb mistakes are fixable. The penalties, the presnap penalties, & the boneheaded out of position give up a big play mistakes can be fixed. My question is why haven't they? These aren't new, Quentin Demps has been flat footed since New England.

But for some reason, I believe Matt is going to turn it around. He's going to lead us to the AFC Championship game & a lot of people around here are going to have to STFU.

& I'm not a Schaub fan.

...Kubiak explains everything in his presser. The Texans offense is a team offense. And if they aren't playing clean, Andre Johnson can only do so much to bail everybody out...

Playing clean.

That's a good alternative way of saying "if we function smoothly and the other team doesn't."

This team can't play clean if they get their face smashed in from the opening whistle. I've seen it, we've all seen it. If a team stands up for itself, and if that other team puts up resistance to us...we struggle EVERYWHERE.

We're relying on other teams' inability to keep their cool in order for us to keep OURS.

I watch a ton of MMA events. There are some guys who have all the talent in the world, and if they get the opportunity to "play clean" they'll run wreck over their opponents. BUT...if that same fighter gets touched up a bit, maybe not even anything dramatically significant, those guys crack like Kubiak's Texans. They drop down, they cover up, and they retreat and even look for ways to get submitted so they can tap out and be done with the fight.

I sadly see this same condition in the Texans. There's no cure for it, either.

Playing clean.

That's a good alternative way of saying "if we function smoothly and the other team doesn't."

This team can't play clean if they get their face smashed in from the opening whistle. I've seen it, we've all seen it. If a team stands up for itself, and if that other team puts up resistance to us...we struggle EVERYWHERE.

In this case, I think playing clean means without the penalties.

I watch a ton of MMA events.

In the words of one of my favorite posters
And while we're at it, let's get to the bottom of another curious failure: Chocolate whipped cream-in-a-spray-can. I used to be able to buy it anywhere, then one day it's gone. From EVERY store. Nowhere to be seen, anywhere. Why? That's some bullcrap is what that is. Nothing better than chocolate flavored whipped cream in a spray can. And it's gone. Forever. Help, please!

& something about tea in China

Maybe if the offense didn't keep screwing up and having short drives and turning the ball over, they wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. I think most people have acknowledged that our special teams sucks, yet the special teams coach remains.

Maybe if the offense didn't keep screwing up and having short drives and turning the ball over, they wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. I think most people have acknowledged that our special teams sucks, yet the special teams coach remains.

There is no good Plan B for the Special Teams coach in-season.

And he has had good special teams in the past, so it's not like he's like some Texans coaches who never had good groups either with the Texans or anyone else yet kept their jobs.

To only focus on coaching, without looking at the group he is working with, misses opportunities to fix things. And also risks thinking that you fix everything by just firing a guy. Using Manning in the playoffs is one of those things that may give ST coach more options.

Watch an entire game just focused on special teams. It is painful.

Watch the gunner defense. Too slow to keep up with true, designated ST gunners. Also watch the young guys like Posey. WRs can be very good special teams players, like Andre Davis was, but they are often not natural tacklers who take good angles.

Other than Braman, you don't have a lot of fast defensive players on this STs. The benefit of going to a 3-4 is that you need more LBs, which means more LBs available for ST. That benefit goes away when your LBs get hurt and you are thin on your defense...and then your special teams.

And even the WRs available for ST aren't crazy speedster types. Davis back in day was said to be the fastest guy on the team.

And then punter/kicker were basically scraped together as guys the Texans could afford. Not their Plan A options, and for being Plan B options, you could do a lot worse.

Good read, except you completely glossed over the two INTs... That's also uncharacteristic of this team. Two in one game... The James Casey one, looked like Schaub hesitated. I know all we can do is speculate as to why that was intercepted. Schaub makes that exact throw a dozen times a year & it's never picked off like that.

& I'm not a Schaub fan.

Schaub looks like he is pressing some. Has made a number of uncharacteristic throws late this season, and has been probably taking more risks because the defense has become more suspect. Also makes some tough throws that people tend to ignore because they were completed...catches that would not be made by a lot of QBs in the NFL but what we've become sort of used to.

Schaub has been going to Johnson a ton because he has chemistry with him and Andre is Andre. But the offense works better when he can spread it around, and 3-5 WRs do not have catch rates that are up to Texans standards. They are drive killers, which takes away an aspect of the offense.

Schaub can be a streaky QB--both good and bad. Having good down and distance helps. Would also help to get more short fields just as an matter of math.

I blame the fans. Yeah, that will be my new angle with this whole thing since I don't want to hurt the teams feelings by being too critical on them.

Then perhaps somebody besides the fans can blame the players who listen to the fans who actually believe their press clippings and what I like to call twitfluff. I think I'm gonna blame the whole messy, sorted Bulls on Parade charade. The season was cursed early on when we violated a basic principle of building proper football lore. Catchy nicknames are for teams that make some noise in the playoffs. Everything else is a paper tiger.

The 2012 Texans go like this...

Early in the season there is a whine that we don't get enough respect even though we haven't done anything yet - check

Fans and team adopt ridiculous sounding nickname for a defense that hasn't done anything yet - check

Team wins some games and buys High School letter jackets and actually wear them to the Patriot game. - check

I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm not being negative. It's just the soothsayer in me.

I am still enjoying this season. While it lasts.

Schaub looks like he is pressing some. Has made a number of uncharacteristic throws late this season, (1) and has been probably taking more risks because the defense has become more suspect. (2)Also makes some tough throws that people tend to ignore because they were completed...catches that would not be made by a lot of QBs in the NFL but what we've become sort of used to.

Schaub has been going to Johnson a ton because he has chemistry with him and Andre is Andre. But the offense works better when he can spread it around, and 3-5 WRs do not have catch rates that are up to Texans standards. They are drive killers, which takes away an aspect of the offense.

Schaub can be a streaky QB--both good and bad. Having good down and distance helps. Would also help to get more short fields just as an matter of math.

(1) I disagree that Schaub has been taking more risks. 1 TD pass over the last 19 Quarters of play tend to point to the notion that Schaub is not taking any risks whatsoever. It seems like when Schaub is rattled, or has low confidence, he generally goes into ultra conservative mode. Hence, all the 3 & outs the offense has been accumulating over the past 6 weeks.

(2) Can you elaborate on this statement? I am not sure what game you are watching, but Schaub definitely does not make "some tough throws". In fact, I believe he in incapable of throwing to the back shoulder (something he has never done), the fade, or to the sidelines. Schaub is most comfortable throwing to the middle of the field, which is not a "tough throw" by NFL standards.
"catches that would not be made by a lot of QBs in the NFL but what we've become sort of used to." I assume you mean "throws that would not be made..." Are you saying that Schaub is currently making throws that are not being made by other NFL QB's?

Please, Please, Please elaborate on this. I really want to know your reasoning behind these statements.

(1) I disagree that Schaub has been taking more risks. 1 TD pass over the last 19 Quarters of play tend to point to the notion that Schaub is not taking any risks whatsoever. It seems like when Schaub is rattled, or has low confidence, he generally goes into ultra conservative mode. Hence, all the 3 & outs the offense has been accumulating over the past 6 weeks.

(2) Can you elaborate on this statement? I am not sure what game you are watching, but Schaub definitely does not make "some tough throws". In fact, I believe he in incapable of throwing to the back shoulder (something he has never done), the fade, or to the sidelines. Schaub is most comfortable throwing to the middle of the field, which is not a "tough throw" by NFL standards.
"catches that would not be made by a lot of QBs in the NFL but what we've become sort of used to." I assume you mean "throws that would not be made..." Are you saying that Schaub is currently making throws that are not being made by other NFL QB's?

Please, Please, Please elaborate on this. I really want to know your reasoning behind these statements.

You really need to go back and watch some games.

There is no good Plan B for the Special Teams coach in-season.

And he has had good special teams in the past, so it's not like he's like some Texans coaches who never had good groups either with the Texans or anyone else yet kept their jobs.

To only focus on coaching, without looking at the group he is working with, misses opportunities to fix things. And also risks thinking that you fix everything by just firing a guy. Using Manning in the playoffs is one of those things that may give ST coach more options.

Watch an entire game just focused on special teams. It is painful.

Watch the gunner defense. Too slow to keep up with true, designated ST gunners. Also watch the young guys like Posey. WRs can be very good special teams players, like Andre Davis was, but they are often not natural tacklers who take good angles.

Other than Braman, you don't have a lot of fast defensive players on this STs. The benefit of going to a 3-4 is that you need more LBs, which means more LBs available for ST. That benefit goes away when your LBs get hurt and you are thin on your defense...and then your special teams.

And even the WRs available for ST aren't crazy speedster types. Davis back in day was said to be the fastest guy on the team.

And then punter/kicker were basically scraped together as guys the Texans could afford. Not their Plan A options, and for being Plan B options, you could do a lot worse.
I am sure there is a reason for bolded but I have always wanted fast DBs and LBs only on punt and kickoff coverage. These guys are usually quick to adjust, good feet, good angles and know how to tackle. The other frustration (other than blocking in the back) is ST blocking when Texans are receiving the kick off. Hit somebody! is a frequent scream of mine. It is crazy to see ball carrier switch directions only to discover his blockers have eased up to watch play. "Whoops! Darn he is coming back this way. Uh, what do I do now? Oh yeah block someone (and often in the back)".

1. In back half of the season, I've seen some throws where it is looking like he's trying to make a big play that isn't there--Posey surrounded by defenders? The Walter in the endzone INT with an open Foster is the obvious one. He feels like he needs to do more because he does need to do more--the running game is inconsistent, and the defense has been struggling with personnel/injury changes. It's easy to have great TD/INT ratio when you are playing with leads and your defense has 3rd down conversion numbers in the 20s, when 2nd best numbers are in the 30s and are killing on turnovers. Schaub isn't the only one that looks like he's pressing in the back half of the season.

We want the Texans not to press, but of course, the team is in uncharted territory for them. They are not ho hum, every year we are favored to win team. We would like for Kubiak to coach them through this, but sadly, with football as in life, some stuff you just learn by doing and through hard experience. And quite frankly, some of this is just expectations stuff. I'm surprised they've been able to put together a season with this many wins given an unorthodox, but likely necessary revolving door Oline.

Has there ever been a dominant, expected to win Houston sports team? Comets maybe.

Maybe they snap out of this, maybe they can't. It's football. Each game if played 10,000 times would have 10,000 different results. A good portion of football in each game and in a loser take all format involves luck and making your own luck.

2. Um yes. Just about every game. (Though that Vikings game was a weird misery). If you haven't seen Schaub make throws that a good number of starting NFL quarterbacks do not make regularly, then you haven't been watching carefully. Does he do Flacco bombs all the time? No. But neither does Flacco because he's inconsistent. And ugh, Flacco can't make basic bread and butter throws regularly. Maddening sort of QB.

Schaub is not just dinking and dunking. Over the years, he's been near top of the league with YPC, and not all of that is runs after the throw because a lot of times he is threading the needle, moving the chains.

People complain about him going fetal with hits but some of that is by design. P Manning does the same thing. If you know you are going to get biffed, and you can't throw it away, wrapping up and taking the hit is better than trying to be a hero and losing the ball. Live another day.

Schaub has his strengths and weaknesses like all QBs, but often it is easier to focus on the disappointing throws because profanity. You don't notice the whoa throws because Texans fans have been accustomed to seeing the ball move down the field.

He's being challenged this year because the 3-5 WR catch rate is way lower than what is acceptable in this offense. So that decreases reliable targets. And results in maybe taking a shot down field for James Casey because at least if the ball gets to him, he catches it at a rate higher than any other target on the team.

Run game not working consistently also takes away a lot of the play action options and results in negative run plays.

They have issues, but so do all teams. That's why we watch.

Hey Ags, lets just make Gary HC for life.

Gary has spent 6 yrs putting this team together and it looks like the best he can do is a one and done playoff team.

Sad really

I blame the fans. Yeah, that will be my new angle with this whole thing since I don't want to hurt the teams feelings by being too critical on them.

Then perhaps somebody besides the fans can blame the players who listen to the fans who actually believe their press clippings and what I like to call twitfluff. I think I'm gonna blame the whole messy, sorted Bulls on Parade charade. The season was cursed early on when we violated a basic principle of building proper football lore. Catchy nicknames are for teams that make some noise in the playoffs. Everything else is a paper tiger.

The 2012 Texans go like this...

Early in the season there is a whine that we don't get enough respect even though we haven't done anything yet - check

Fans and team adopt ridiculous sounding nickname for a defense that hasn't done anything yet - check

Team wins some games and buys High School letter jackets and actually wear them to the Patriot game. - check

I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm not being negative. It's just the soothsayer in me.

I am still enjoying this season. While it lasts.

But that nickname was given last year before the ATL game, sir.

Hey Ags, lets just make Gary HC for life.

Gary has spent 6 yrs putting this team together and it looks like the best he can do is a one and done playoff team.

Sad really

[IMGwidthsize=450]http://partyhardpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/cart-before-the-horse.png[/IMG]

They haven't played the game yet.

Besides, how long have the Falcons been at it? How 'bout them Cowboys? They've won one game in a decade, combined.

Dick Jauron
Rod Marinelli
Mike McCarthy
Gary Kubiak
Herm Edwards
Brad Childress
Sean Payton
Eric Mangini
Art Shell
Scott Linehan

10 new head coaches in 2006. Where are they now & where are their teams? McCarthy & Peyton are the only ones with their jobs (& rightfully so after winning a Super Bowl each) but none of those other teams, Bills, Lions, Chiefs, Vikings, Jets, Raiders, Rams are even close to the Texans..... well, maybe the Vikings.

You look at those 10 teams & take into consideration what they started with, Kubiak's done a great job & I really don't see how anyone could argue.

Never mind that I'd like another HC. I don't like his style. I don't like his demeanor. & I think we could do better.

But I'm not delusional enough to believe Bill Cowher could take this team from where Kubiak got it to where it is now. I believe Cowher can take it from here & go on to a decade of winning, but that's a totally different story.

Back