Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-22-2012   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Uno Amigo Texan 2013 Mock 2.0

Taking a break from work & know a lot of you guys/gals may be bored so here is something to fill void Pre-Viking game & time off. Big changes for me obviously, John Jenkins returning to school (Big Shock) tried to keep needs close to last work while adding some new prospects for you to consider. Modified Compensatory Picks per Dutchrudder excellent work!

FIRST ROUND: Kawaan Short, Purdue, NT, 6030 330 lbs.

Built like a Sherman Tank, well proportioned with long arms which could raise his draft stock. Wolfe has annotated he is the best combo NT in this draft (penetration & run support). Big Ten conference. 184 tackles from nose position in four years. Had two interceptions as a freshman but no sacks? Has sack total of 17 last three years. Not a lot of pieces around him.

SECOND ROUND: John Simon, Ohio State, OLB, 6020 260 lbs.

Much in Brooks Reed mold, high motor/effort guy who can rotate & provide depth improving pass rush. Led the Big Ten conference this year in sacks with 9. 19.5 sacks for Buckeye career which makes Kawaan Shorts production even more impressive, but he is stout with strong build akin to adding dynamite alongside JJ Watt.

THIRD ROUND: Ryan Swoope, Texas A&M, WR, 6000 206 lbs

Slot receiver in mold of Wes Welker. Similar to Connor Vernon who would also fit but higher grade & putting more emphasis @ WR position. Texans need more production from somebody not named Andre. Posey is looking very promising as of late, has nice size/speed combo, however Martin has struggled in the slot & someone who can compete for reps would give Texans much improved fleet & possibly spread defenses out more to keep ground game strong.

THIRD ROUND: (Mario Williams compensatory) Will Davis, Utah State, CB 6000 186 lbs.

Possesses a long, lean build ideally suited to the position. Loose-hipped athlete with good balance and overall fluidity to change directions. Good burst to close on the ball due to his vision and quick feet. Late bloomer, lightly recruited, signed with small program (shut down because of budgetary cuts) signed with Utah State Aggies & has shown excellent growth/upside. His specialty seems to be tracking the ball in flight, he leads the nation in pass break-ups with 1.75 per game & 22 on the year. Developmental possible premier pass defender with plus size to replace Ball. Aggies are ranked 18th in country before dismantling Toledo 45-15 in Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. Will Davis stat line - 8 tackles 1 pass break-up.

FOURTH ROUND: Kiko Alonzo, Oregon, ILB 6-4 246

Great length, smart, instinctive & excellent in coverage. Texans need a bigger, longer cover guy in 3rd down situations who can stick & pull with these hybrid TE's & elusive RB's. Hard worker that will improve & flourish in Wade Phillips system. Drops one round in view of background check, had off field incident http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...e-kiko-alonso/ thanks BB.

FIFTH ROUND: Brennan Williams, North Carolina, OT 6-7 310

Ideal size, athletic ability to be a starting RT in the NFL. Would get a higher draft grade except injury (torn labrum in his shoulder) out for the season, also played with it longer than he probably should (team player/character) so he could be another steal (Newton). Texans would not have to rush him back but down the road could be a starter too & provide much needed depth with Butler probably gone this off season.

FIFTH ROUND: (Joel Dreessen compensatory) Joseph Fauria, UCLA, TE 6-7 255

Size does matter, Texans & Schaub depend on TE production. Like his size to create mis-matches & in-line blocking. Joseph also has bloodlines (nephew of former NFL tight end Christian Fauria). 40 receptions, 561 yards & 11 TD's as Senior 39/481/6 Junior year. Unlike Will Davis Joseph was highly recruited coming out of High School & almost signed with Notre Dame but they signed Eifert first so as they say, "rest is history". Also feel Texans miss Dresseen & we can see what happens when either Owen or Graham are injured.

SIXTH ROUND: Tanner Hawkinson, OG, Kansas, 6-4 300

Four year starter (LT) who has played under three head coaches, best fit for ZBS probably kicks inside left or right guard. Good mobility & excels in pass protection. Texans will continue to mold their OL w/mid to late round athletic fits for scheme. Did I mention he was a four star TE recruit coming out of High School? He reminds me a lot of Brisel, he could go undrafted? but I feel he would fit right in this group inside with his quickness & nasty demeanor.

SEVENTH ROUND: Onterio McCalebb, RB/KR, Auburn, 5-9 176

Reminiscent of Holliday pick to help improve special teams. More similar to Dexter McCluster, can fill 3rd down duties, elusive, good hands (not as small as Trindon) has rushed for 2,586 yards, 63 receptions out of the backfield, 8.5 yards per carry & 25.6 yards per return in the SEC.

SEVENTH ROUND: (Jason Allen compensatory) Jordan Kovacs, SS, Michigan, 5-11 202

Insurance in case Quin does not resign, regardless another back end body this late can't hurt to bring into camp. Solid safety prospect this late who will compete/battle for roster spot. Jordan is a walk on known for beating odds, this Senior was very productive during his career with astounding 331 tackles in four years playing for Michigan, his best season was his sophomore year with 116 tackles. Solid in zone coverage & takes good angles in run support.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Uno Amigo Texan 2013 Mock 2.0

Fauria looks like a good prospect.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

In fact, I think Fauria's stock is going to rise significantly.
He's playing with a freshman QB and still has great production.

6'7 - 255 LBs plus.

Guy can run; he can jump; he can leap over defender; he can get low to catch a pass, he can stretch for the ball; he can lay out.

This guy is a beast. I can see him put on another 10-20 LBs in a couple years.
Will be a nightmare to match up.

I want to look at him more (haven't watched much this year), but I think he'll probably get a 2nd round grade.
Old 12-22-2012   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice work bl. I would be aboard with this draft.
Old 12-22-2012   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
In fact, I think Fauria's stock is going to rise significantly.
He's playing with a freshman QB and still has great production.

6'7 - 255 LBs plus.

Guy can run; he can jump; he can leap over defender; he can get low to catch a pass, he can stretch for the ball; he can lay out.

This guy is a beast. I can see him put on another 10-20 LBs in a couple years.
Will be a nightmare to match up.

I want to look at him more (haven't watched much this year), but I think he'll probably get a 2nd round grade.
6-7th rd. grade as of now by NFL DRAFT SCOUT http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2013/TE

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-22-2012   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Nice work bl. I would be aboard with this draft.

Thanks KT,

struggled mightily with 1st pick, but in essence Texan primary need will be to do a better job supporting JJ Watt & what better way than adding a premier play making nose tackle, drawing some of those double teams, wear & tear to keep Watt clean & healthy.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-22-2012   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
6-7th rd. grade as of now by NFL DRAFT SCOUT http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2013/TE
I've been watching cut up games of Fauria, Ertz, and Eifert.

Fauria impresses me more than Ertz.

I need to watch more, but for right now, I'm liking Fauria better.
I think he has a higher ceiling than Ertz.

How about Toilolo in the late round as a TE?
Any buyer?
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2012   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I don't the Texans need a guy like Swope; he doesn't seem to bring any different skill set that gives him a spot in the rotation with the guys we've already have.
Old 12-22-2012   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Here is a Short film against the Irish. Clearly a physical presence inside, often double teamed, pancake sack for a guy 330 lbs his movement is fluid & flashes devastating power. Good situation with Texans for him to continue developing w/Wade Phillips guidance & playing next to JJ Watt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0_ueLOWGdU

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-22-2012   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I don't the Texans need a guy like Swope; he doesn't seem to bring any different skill set that gives him a spot in the rotation with the guys we've already have.
I don't know, Schaub to Swoope has a nice sound to it

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-22-2012   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 185201 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Missing the compensatory pick for Brisiel, 5th or 6th round.
Old 12-22-2012   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't know, Schaub to Swoope has a nice sound to it
Man, that's a tongue twister alright.

I don't know if these two guys would last until the third (they might) but I'd prefer them over Swope:

Stedman Bailey; like I had predicted, he continues to be a playmaker.
You can't beat that kind of production.
Don't let his size fool you.
There's a highlight video out there showing him getting into it big time with Claiborne.

Marcus Davis' stock seems to drop with drops, but his size/speed/length is first rounder material.
A third round pick is more than worth the risk, I think, since he has the potential to be a number one receiver if he can put everything together.
Old 12-22-2012   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Missing the compensatory pick for Brisiel, 5th or 6th round.
According to Dutch you are correct

Quote:
Compensatory Picks:

In addition to the 7 picks that the Texans have in the 2013 draft, they will have 4 more compensatory picks coming their way. The Texans lost 4 qualifying free agents and signed zero. Yes, zero qualifying free agents signed.

Mario is most definitely going to give us a 3rd in return. He has 10 sacks on the year and a huge contract. I couldn't find any TEs that were a good match for Dreessen, but given his salary and game time, I think a 5th is in order. Briesel is a guard who started all 13 games so far, but guards don't seem to garner high picks. I'm sure he's worth a 5th based on salary alone, but I doubt he results in a 4th. Jason Allen has barely played for the Bengals, so I doubt we get more than a 7th for him, but it's better than nothing.
Dutch also mentioned trading out of 1st to save on cap hit as well as preference to use picks (not compensatory) to consolidate or target specific player(s). So maybe in my subconscious I purposely took away one pick (of course would still have the 5th or 6th compensatory pick for Briesel since they cannot be traded) thinking this is surely inevitable as well.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-24-2012   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Simply fascinating to me how perceptions of team needs can spin & rotate 180 degrees based off one game. True each game is bigger than the last, you can just feel the pressure build heading into the last game of regular season but honestly how could we ask for anything more?

Merry Christmas my Texan friends

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-24-2012   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

No prospects at the QB position?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Tyler Bray or Barkley fall to the Texans at the end of rd 1 Rick/Gary should take him.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If Tyler Bray or Barkley fall to the Texans at the end of rd 1 Rick/Gary should take him.
lets wait & see how the season finishes first before throwing Matt Schaub under the bus. from a pure talent viewpoint both would be far superior prospects @ the QB position & Matt is 31 so at least from BPA approach that's not out of the question

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-24-2012   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
No prospects at the QB position?
I really like Landry Jones, Oklahoma, 6'4" 230 a lot. Late 2nd would be excellent value for him. Experienced, strong arm, can run this offense with minimal changes & type of high character/matured young man Kubiak could trust to run HIS system

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-24-2012   #19
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Man, that's a tongue twister alright.

I don't know if these two guys would last until the third (they might) but I'd prefer them over Swope:

Stedman Bailey; like I had predicted, he continues to be a playmaker.
You can't beat that kind of production.
Don't let his size fool you.
There's a highlight video out there showing him getting into it big time with Claiborne.

Marcus Davis' stock seems to drop with drops, but his size/speed/length is first rounder material.
A third round pick is more than worth the risk, I think, since he has the potential to be a number one receiver if he can put everything together.
He is allergic to blocking.
Old 12-24-2012   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here is a Short film against the Irish. Clearly a physical presence inside, often double teamed, pancake sack for a guy 330 lbs his movement is fluid & flashes devastating power. Good situation with Texans for him to continue developing w/Wade Phillips guidance & playing next to JJ Watt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0_ueLOWGdU
I think SHort had good game against Irish, just wished I had seen more of his games.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read