Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Blame the team not the refs

The refs didn't drop the stinkbomb over the last 7 games. This was two different teams -- they looked like an elite team through the Bears game, and after that, extreme mediocrity.

I see some posts about bad calls but the bulk was just bad play.

There were some bad calls by the refs that didn't help, but the bad play is what cost this team the game. Giving up a 101 yard kick return, and a 70 yard bomb on 3rd & 23 was the difference.

I blame the refs, Schaub, Kubiak, Luck, AJ for the dropped TD, right side O-line, Marciano, the entire kick-off coverage team, Paguno (or whoever), the stupid commercials, my boss who ticked me off last night, my whiny subordinates griping and fighting about petty crap, the Colt-sucking commentators, the Church's chicken lady at half-time that dint have no spicey chicken, the traffic, the freezing @$$ weather, and your momma.

:hairpull:

I don't blame the refs, were playing bad football.

Did anyone notice that right before the 2 min warning after ind scored they let 4 seconds run off the clock. I have never seen that before. their clock guy was taking time off the clock all game long. Our stupid clock guy never helps us out. I want control of the clock next weekend. If we get the lead the game would be ours.

I blame the refs, Schaub, Kubiak, Luck, AJ for the dropped TD, right side O-line, Marciano, the entire kick-off coverage team, Paguno (or whoever), the stupid commercials, my boss who ticked me off last night, my whiny subordinates griping and fighting about petty crap, the Colt-sucking commentators, the Church's chicken lady at half-time that dint have no spicey chicken, the traffic, the freezing @$$ weather, and your momma.

:hairpull:

Leave momma out of it:ant:

Overall the team just screwed up even though there were some bad calls.

Theres a difference between blaming the refs outright and pointing out horrible calls that make an impact in a game of inches.

The Texans played flat again, but those that act as though the refs didn't play a significant role in the outcome of the game are either kidding themselves or think that there is some kind of honor in putting the loss on the team alone.

I didn't bash the refs after the Vikings game, but in this case they have it coming. For those that think this was all the refs are just as wrong as those that act as though slanted calls don't make a huge impact.

V. Davis pushed/struck an official, there was no ejection let alone a flag, I've never seen a player get away with that.

Texans played flat
Colts played decent and good at times
Colts had a lot go thier way
Refs attacked US and went soft on Indy

Put them in any order it all contributed, but I just want to make the point. We have beat the Texans to death with bad play, so this was a new element to discuss.

Nope, I blame the ref.

Harris got mugged by Wayne on the first third and goal and they called PI on Harris.

Wayne knew he couldn't get to the ball and wanted to prevent Harris from having a shot at the ball.

The Colts went on to score a TD instead of a FG there.

Soon as I saw that one, I said to myself, "it's over"!

On that play, Harris turned to the ref in the end zone while Wayne walked about with a big grin on his face. Why do you think he couldn't contain the glee?!?

And here's the reaction of Barwin, Watt, and Reed when they reviewed the fumble and reversed the call.
Barwin threw away his cup in disgust; you can see the liquid raining down behind him.
(Choose the option to View it as a slideshow in fast mode.)

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Barwin/

Don't you think they knew they were playing against a stacked deck?

Did anyone else notice how the Colts never set before a snap? I saw about 7-8 instances of the motion guy still shuffling around at the snap. I will say we sucked donkey dick, but that doesn't help.

Theres a difference between blaming the refs outright and pointing out horrible calls that make an impact in a game of inches.

The Texans played flat again, but those that act as though the refs didn't play a significant role in the outcome of the game are either kidding themselves or think that there is some kind of honor in putting the loss on the team alone.

I didn't bash the refs after the Vikings game, but in this case they have it coming. For those that think this was all the refs are just as wrong as those that act as though slanted calls don't make a huge impact.

Yeah the refs blew the call. But lets say they gave it to the Texans.
What is the likely outcome? 3 and out and one more pathetic field goal.

Yeah the refs blew the call. But lets say they gave it to the Texans.
What is the likely outcome? 3 and out and one more pathetic field goal.

Ok, let's be pessimistic and say after the fumble all Houston got on the 14 yard-line was a FG. That three points could have still had a huge impact on the end of the game. The refs have to be 100% sure to overturn a call on the field. How they were sure they got it right is beyond me.

I don't care how I look saying it, there were calls the referees made in yesterdays game that seriously frustrated me.

Two plays were the difference so blame the team not the refs that is sorry.

They make a huge difference, Gary (and I'm not even talking about other calls).

Instead of 7, the Colts only get 3 points on one play.
On the other play, they punted the ball; however we should have had the ball right there already in range of a short FG.
We should at least score 3 points there, maybe even 7.

Instead of leading 16-14 late in the third, we could have let 19-10 or 23-10.

Even after they return the KO for a TD, we would still lead 19-17 or 23-17 in the fourth quarter.

It affects the play call, as we would have been running the ball more.
When we get inside their 30 yard line, instead of Schaub getting sacked, we would likely be running the ball.
Even if we don't convert the third down, we were still in range for a FG.

We would have led 22-17 or 26-17.
It's a huge difference, Gary.

When I see plays like that fumble that was called back, I don't just feel that the refs screwed us (by accident), I seriously wonder if it's rigged. Frankly, I don't even care about some obscure, bullcrap rule in the playbook, either, because you know D**** well that obscure rule would not pop up against a team with Brady or Manning or RGIII @ QB, unless they are playing against each other. Maybe we need a martyr to get the league to have officials in our favor for a few decades. Which player is going to kill himself for the team? :koolaid:

The game was lost not rigged.

Agreed. I was one of the posters on the Gameday thread that complained about the officiating, especially the fumble that wasn't and bumping the official not being called. However, the Texans lost this game all by themselves.

I doubt many here think the refs had a hand in this loss.

They make a huge difference, Gary (and I'm not even talking about other calls).

Instead of 7, the Colts only get 3 points on one play.
On the other play, they punted the ball; however we should have had the ball right there already in range of a short FG.
We should at least score 3 points there, maybe even 7.

Instead of leading 16-14 late in the third, we could have let 19-10 or 23-10.

Even after they return the KO for a TD, we would still lead 19-17 or 23-17 in the fourth quarter.

It affects the play call, as we would have been running the ball more.
When we get inside their 30 yard line, instead of Schaub getting sacked, we would likely be running the ball.
Even if we don't convert the third down, we were still in range for a FG.

We would have led 22-17 or 26-17.
It's a huge difference, Gary.

That was as bad a reversal as "duel possession". At least those guys were replacement refs. I stared at the screen in shock when they called it an incomplete pass. So terrible.

And on the returned TD, ya' know, I saw three (3) blocks in the back, none of them were called.

There were another block in the back on the previous return that went uncalled and the returner advanced the ball somewhere between the 30-35 yard line.

On the other hand, they called Clutts for holding on a kick that went into the end zone for a touchback; ie., Clutts' hold had no effect on the play whatsoever.

Then, of course the stupid PI on Kareem Jackson late in the game to extend their drive and stopped our defense from getting on the field.

Not to mention holding with offensive lineman's arm wrapping around our D-lineman, D-player lining up in the neutral zone, etc.

Yeah, the game wasn't affected by bad officiating !:smiliepalm:

How do you miss 3 blocks in the back on one play?
And it's a scoring play, which is automatically reviewed.
Do I really need to post a gazillion of screen shots to show them?

I blast the Ref's, but I realize its an extremely difficult job. When things look one way in real time and we think they are crazy to only find out when watching in slow mo they were right, it amazes me.

I'm on the Officials when they call a bad game, and I admit I go after them, and I can be a Homer.

I agree with the people hat say "The Texans lost", they didn't play well enough. However I disagree when some in here get man at people like me because both extremes are wrong. To say the game was lost only becuase of the Refs is wrong, to say that the game was only lost because of poor or mediocre play is wrong as well.

The Refs have a profound affect on the outcome of the game at times, if you disagree with me thats your right but you are wrong. This is a game of inches, 1-3 bad calls can change 90% of all the NFL the games in my opinion, depending on timing.

Any call can stop or create momentum for either team, just like a big sack, big gain, or long run. On paper there is very little difference between a big play and a bad call, they can both have the same result, and they can changes a teams demeanor. A penalty that negates a three an out can keep a defense on the field, and result in a TD all because of one penalty.

I'm not starting a fight so don't want some in here to get all pissy, its just my observation, and I don't mean everybody just some, and I don't have anyone in mind when I say this. I think some people think they are taking responsibility by saying "It was all poor play", like they aren't passing off blame, like its some kind of moral thing. As if those that get pissed at the Refs are people that blame the world for everything that is wrong in thier life. As if calling the team out is the way to be a man in a way. On the flip side there are fans that blame the Refs no matter what, I acknowledge that.

I will say that during a game I'm a fan, almost every call against the Texans is wrong for some reason, and that almost every failed play was the result of some missed call against the other team, I get passionate. However after the game I'm subjective, and things sink in.

So I've said it many times this week, the Texans played at about a 3 or a 4 on a scale of 1-10 of what they can do. Sometimes thats good enough, but this week it wasn't, the Colts played a level high enough, the ball bounced thier way a lot, and no one can deny that it sure looked like we got called for everything and then some, and they got away with a little more. We had 9 penalties, and they had 2. I'm saying that we didn't commit more, because a lot goes uncalled for both teams, but it sure felt skewed a little more one way tham the other.

In this last game we got hoesd on a couple of critical calls, and I feel it would have been a much closer game, we may not have won, but it would have been at least closer. Add that to the fiasco of a game last year in Indy, which was in my opinion the worst officiated game in Texans history its easy as a fan to attack the Refs.

Regardless of how you feel about what I have said, the Refs do impact games. They had an impact last Sunday, and that combined with horrible play by the offense to end in an almost unwatchable game at times.

Unfortunately, I'm feeling much like Wooly B about the NFL now. One day we're going to learn it's all a fix. I've felt the same way about the NBA for years, never thought I'd feel that way about football, but here I am.

I am a Colts season ticket holder and was at the game on Sunday. The complaining about the officials strikes me as funny because there were plenty of calls that had the home crowd booing. It is all perception.

1) The Vontae Davis is clearly overblown on this board because the league has not found too much wrong with what he did since no fine has been announced.

2) Whoever thought the game is was rigged - freaking funny stuff there.

3) To the guy complaining about holds on the kick return and reviewing the play, it simply does not matter. Even if reviewed and the "holds" were evident, the play still stands. They cannot retroactively call those kinds of penalties.

I would stop bitching about the refs and worry more about:
1) The right side of your o'line
2) Schaub and his vacant stare
3) Lacking the discipline to not jump offsides
4) Giving up two long TD's.
5) The tremendous lack of momentum going into the post-season.

Those are all far more important than the perceived slights by the refs.

And on the returned TD, ya' know, I saw three (3) blocks in the back, none of them were called.

There were another block in the back on the previous return that went uncalled and the returner advanced the ball somewhere between the 30-35 yard line.

On the other hand, they called Clutts for holding on a kick that went into the end zone for a touchback; ie., Clutts' hold had no effect on the play whatsoever.

Then, of course the stupid PI on Kareem Jackson late in the game to extend their drive and stopped our defense from getting on the field.

Not to mention holding with offensive lineman's arm wrapping around our D-lineman, D-player lining up in the neutral zone, etc.

Yeah, the game wasn't affected by bad officiating !:smiliepalm:

I told my wife when Wayne was pleading his case that PI was going to be called on the next play. The refs are so terrible it makes you think there is a fix even though there isn't.

I am a Colts season ticket holder and was at the game on Sunday. The complaining about the officials strikes me as funny because there were plenty of calls that had the home crowd booing. It is all perception.

1) The Vontae Davis is clearly overblown on this board because the league has not found too much wrong with what he did since no fine has been announced.

3) To the guy complaining about holds on the kick return and reviewing the play, it simply does not matter. Even if reviewed and the "holds" were evident, the play still stands. They cannot retroactively call those kinds of penalties.

**** off. Go worry about the Ratbirds. Anyone who can watch that abomination of a game and say "These officials called a good game" is smoking crack. We played like ****, true, but the bad calls were game changing type calls. Congrats, your PoS team threw a **** ton of games and you got Luck, bravo. A colts fan saying blaming refs is hilarious, since the ****ty PI rules are in place because your ***** ass WR and Manning's whining ass are the reason they rewrote the PI rules.:brickwall:

Big Lou, I'm somewhat in the same boat with you in most regards, since we're just normal fans.

But there's no telling what I might do if I'm a Congressman.

Back to the penalties, a couple of weeks ago, we talked about them in a different thread. In a certain game, we were flagged 9 times.
I disagree with one totally, and noted a few iffy ones.
But since none of them had much affects on the outcome of the game, it didn't bother me hardly.

On some of those penalties, I had to play it in super slow-mo a few times before I caught a couple of calls they made correctly.
These guys have eagle eyes, I tell ya'.

For them to miss so many this time around, is definitely not right, especially when many of them are so crucial.

**** off. Go worry about the Ratbirds. Anyone who can watch that abomination of a game and say "These officials called a good game" is smoking crack. We played like ****, true, but the bad calls were game changing type calls. Congrats, your PoS team threw a **** ton of games and you got Luck, bravo. A colts fan saying blaming refs is hilarious, since the ****ty PI rules are in place because your ***** ass WR and Manning's whining ass are the reason they rewrote the PI rules.:brickwall:

Wow

Stay classy

:thinking:

Isn't it just easier to blame the refs?

Thought I was the only one who wondered if the Colt's might have "conveniently" sucked accidentally on purpose last year. If that is even remotely true and if the scheme to do so were in place, regardless of who was aware or not - while it would have been a shrewd and some would say savvy move; that would be some low down dirty s--t.

Overblown? The guy touched an official, you can be ejected no questions asked for that move, and wasn't a light touch.

As for the home town crowd, how many penalties against the home team have you heard cheered. Every penalty no matter how obvious is boo'd by the hoime crowd.

As for being rigged, I don't think the game was rigged. Do I think things were biased? Absolutely. Between the Chuckstrong thing, and the "Texans have never beat Indy in Indy thing", it was a joke. Two storylines that got drummed all freaking day long. In the end the NFL is here to make money, its a business.

As for the stuff we are suppossed to worry about per you, we have beat that stuff to death. the reasons the officials come in to play is because of those issues. I Houston was playing like week 1-6, you'd never see this thread because it would have been 41-6 Houston. This thread is because the score would have been much closer if things were called differently.

In two trips to Indy in two years, horrible officiating both times, case closed.

Overblown? The guy touched an official, you can be ejected no questions asked for that move, and wasn't a light touch.

As for the home town crowd, how many penalties against the home team have you heard cheered. Every penalty no matter how obvious is boo'd by the hoime crowd.

As for being rigged, I don't think the game was rigged. Do I think things were biased? Absolutely. Between the Chuckstrong thing, and the "Texans have never beat Indy in Indy thing", it was a joke. Two storylines that got drummed all freaking day long. In the end the NFL is here to make money, its a business.

As for the stuff we are suppossed to worry about per you, we have beat that stuff to death. the reasons the officials come in to play is because of those issues. I Houston was playing like week 1-6, you'd never see this thread because it would have been 41-6 Houston. This thread is because the score would have been much closer if things were called differently.

In two trips to Indy in two years, horrible officiating both times, case closed.

You are a funny guy. A bit over the top with this stuff but funny nonetheless.

Regarding Davis, if it was such an outrageous touch, why is it you are the only one that I have heard mention it? Why has there been no fine announced? The fact is it was nothing.

My point about the crowd is the same as you. They were booing calls that they felt were poor or not made. Same as you. By that logic, the Colts had to overcome the refs, no? It is all perception even if they are simply wrong, which you absolutely are in some of your assertions.

And so let me get this straight. The NFL has a vested interest in making sure the Texans stay winless in Indy? For what reason? Why would they care?

Thought I was the only one who wondered if the Colt's might have "conveniently" sucked accidentally on purpose last year. If that is even remotely true and if the scheme to do so were in place, regardless of who was aware or not - while it would have been a shrewd and some would say savvy move; that would be some low down dirty s--t.

Pure nonsense. It served them no purpose to win but they absolutely did not tank it. If they would have tanked the season, why keep Manning on the active roster all year? Why would they play their asses off against Houston in Indy last year? All that game did was put them in jeopardy of not getting the # 1 pick. And the last game of the year, they got the ball back and were trying to win at the end against J'ville.

Well done.

So the calls that went against the Texans were game changing? Interesting.

And your tanking theory is interesting as well. Off base and clueless but interesting.

Pure nonsense. It served them no purpose to win but they absolutely did not tank it. If they would have tanked the season, why keep Manning on the active roster all year? Why would they play their asses off against Houston in Indy last year? All that game did was put them in jeopardy of not getting the # 1 pick. And the last game of the year, they got the ball back and were trying to win at the end against J'ville.

Prove it's pure nonsense, you can't. No more than I can prove that it is true. Therefore the possibility exists that the Colt's did in fact tank the season on purpose.

Prove it's pure nonsense, you can't. No more than I can prove that it is true. Therefore the possibility exists that the Colt's did in fact tank the season on purpose.

I have no qualms in taking a season to get a franchise qb. kind of like the astros tanking.. to get the #1 overall pick for a few years to build up that farm system!

Agreed, it can't be proven either way, but let me ask you, can you provide a realistic scenario in which someone made the conscious decision to tank the season, and then made that decision a reality? If so, who would that decision maker be, and how might he have successfully implemented it?

Agreed, it can't be proven either way, but let me ask you, can you provide a realistic scenario in which someone made the conscious decision to tank the season, and then made that decision a reality? If so, who would that decision maker be, and how might he have successfully implemented it?

They fired both their GM & their HC. That tells me it wasn't a tank job. If it were, they would have been part of the plan & wouldn't have been fired for implementing said plan.

Caldwell was fired, because obviously he didn't have a clue. Their GM fired because he obviously couldn't get good talent on that team.

The Roster has been almost completely overhauled. I think there are 19 people from last year on the team.

But...... the fact remains they are a bad team. They beat us, we played worse than they did week 17. That was their cleanest game of the year, no turnovers & I think one or two penalties. We turned it over twice & committed about 80 yards of penalties.

If you look at their body of work, game management won most of their games. They are negative in point differential and turnovers.

Just like we're 12-4 because of our weak SOS (I know people don't want to believe it, but we talked about this before the season, this is the weakest SOS that Gary Kubiak has ever coached against), their 11 wins is inflated because of their SOS.

Does that mean we're not as good as our schedule? Yes. That is exactly what I am saying. We're good, a better team than the Colts, but this is not a 12 win team & you know it.

Good news, is that next years schedule will be stacked with teams under 500. Our SOS will be .468, I think this year's schedule was .484

The Colts schedule will be .457 they don't get much of a break, because the Bengals won 10 games just like the Ravens did. The Bengals will probably be a better team than the Ravens next year.

They fired both their GM & their HC. That tells me it wasn't a tank job. If it were, they would have been part of the plan & wouldn't have been fired for implementing said plan.

Caldwell was fired, because obviously he didn't have a clue. Their GM fired because he obviously couldn't get good talent on that team.

The Roster has been almost completely overhauled. I think there are 19 people from last year on the team.

But...... the fact remains they are a bad team. They beat us, we played worse than they did week 17. That was their cleanest game of the year, no turnovers & I think one or two penalties. We turned it over twice & committed about 80 yards of penalties.

If you look at their body of work, game management won most of their games. They are negative in point differential and turnovers.

Just like we're 12-4 because of our weak SOS (I know people don't want to believe it, but we talked about this before the season, this is the weakest SOS that Gary Kubiak has ever coached against), their 11 wins is inflated because of their SOS.

Does that mean we're not as good as our schedule? Yes. That is exactly what I am saying. We're good, a better team than the Colts, but this is not a 12 win team & you know it.

Good news, is that next years schedule will be stacked with teams under 500. Our SOS will be .468, I think this year's schedule was .484

The Colts schedule will be .457 they don't get much of a break, because the Bengals won 10 games just like the Ravens did. The Bengals will probably be a better team than the Ravens next year.

A rational message boarder is very rare so it is good to see one ocassionally. If the Colts truly tanked, why try as hard as they did to ultimately win the game against Houston in week 16 last year? That put them in a position to potentially lose the # pick. And your points are spot on. The Colts were simply awful last year but did not tank games.

A rational message boarder is very rare so it is good to see one ocassionally. If the Colts truly tanked, why try as hard as they did to ultimately win the game against Houston in week 16 last year? That put them in a position to potentially lose the # pick. And your points are spot on. The Colts were simply awful last year but did not tank games.

I don't think the Colts tanked on purpose. As for the last game of the year, how could they lose, they got 6 downs to pick up 10 yards. There were so many third down stops extended by BS penalties a high school team could have driven down the field on a couple of processions.

Bad calls that are not reviewable are still bad calls.
Do we need to settle for the status quo?
I doubt that it's the status quo to begin with.

Like I said, if I'm a congressman, I might just do something to preserve the integrity of the game. Or if somebody just put me on his/her staff, I will be more than happy to go on an investigation into the matter.

Heck, I'm sure I can get plenty of volunteers to help me from all around the country.

What happened to "may the best team win"?

I don't think the Colts tanked on purpose. As for the last game of the year, how could they lose, they got 6 downs to pick up 10 yards. There were so many third down stops extended by BS penalties a high school team could have driven down the field on a couple of processions.

You responding to a post in which I credit a rational comment is the very definition of the word ironic.

One last comment - the last drive of the game, the Colts possed the ball for nearly 10 minutes. There was only one penalty that gave Indy a 1st down on that drive. Houston did not stop them on the first set of downs. The second set was the PI call. They then had 3 more sets of downs to get Indy off the field and they failed every single time. 10 minutes of possession and blame the refs? Funny. How about make a play? How about don't jump off sides. Houston has no one to blame but themselves for that loss. To think otherwise is laughable and the mind-set of a loser. The Colts had a saying under Dungy - No Excuses. No Explanations. Just get the job done. Houston failed.

See you in the Fall.

You responding to a post in which I credit a rational comment is the very definition of the word ironic.

One last comment - the last drive of the game, the Colts possed the ball for nearly 10 minutes. There was only one penalty that gave Indy a 1st down on that drive. Houston did not stop them on the first set of downs. The second set was the PI call. They then had 3 more sets of downs to get Indy off the field and they failed every single time. 10 minutes of possession and blame the refs? Funny. How about make a play? How about don't jump off sides. Houston has no one to blame but themselves for that loss. To think otherwise is laughable and the mind-set of a loser. The Colts had a saying under Dungy - No Excuses. No Explanations. Just get the job done. Houston failed.

See you in the Fall.
The mindset of losers readily accept things as they are without putting up a fight of some sort.

Those who accept that sports can be tainted for whatever reason shouldn't be involved with sports to begin with. Or they should change the classification of that sport to entertainment and nothing more.

And Btw, that bogus PI on Jackson gave the Colts a first down instead of facing third and 14 with almost 7 minutes to go and the Texans with two time-outs left.

Back