Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2012   #21
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The "Kubiak effect" has kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Kubiak caught it from Capers, and there is no cure.

Art Shell perfected this look for the Raiders a few years back.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Not sure if serious...or being sarcasm on me.

I have felt, for a long time now, that Elway and Kubiak are linked in more than just one way. Some guys are winners, some are not.
Only thing.... by comparing Kubiak to Elway, you're admitting that Kubiak is & has been more than "just" a head coach here. As such, he deserves more credit for what has gone right here in Houston (and more blame for what has gone wrong).
Old 12-30-2012   #23
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Well you can add the sudden lack of discipline with all the penalties.

Trying to keep the thread on the point the OP is making I have to agree that it seems like the team has taken on Kubiak's personality. I don't see enough fire and passion at critical points in critical games. Just a more reserved approach by the team in general but mainly the offense. I see absolutely nothing but a flatness to their game that reminds me of the personality of their head coach.

Will there be a change? Highly unlikely. McNair isn't that type of gambler and is a fan of Kubiak but when you look at how flat and out of sync this team is you have to see the issue with the coaching. Not to mention he is part of Rick Smith's decisions and the idea of at least not trying to work something out with Winston was a poor one. I understand Brisel was horribly overpaid by the Raiders but Winston we didn't even attempt a restructure or anything. We were just certain Newton or Butler could man it...

Another coaching decision is sticking with Walter for so darn long. He is not a #2. Period. Everyone knew this but we kept with these paltry receivers (not named Dre) for years and waited on Jacoby for a while too. Another is the idea of Casey playing fullback instead of just letting him play tight end so we could get a real fullback. So we had a makeshift fullback with a makeshift right side offensive line and expected something from that? I like Casey but I like him for receiving skills. Not lead blocking.

One thing that maybe....MAYBE....will be possible is a new offensive coordinator where Kubiak finally relents playcalling. I doubt it seriously as he is stubborn but it has been said by many position coaches who become head coaches that it is best if they allow their coaches to coach and they just worry about being a head coach. We seriously need something different from the offense and Kubiak will not change his ways. Heck, I don't even know if Dennison is capable of calling plays since he gets no opportunity. Only little Shanny got the chance here.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #24
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post

Trying to keep the thread on the point the OP is making I have to agree that it seems like the team has taken on Kubiak's personality. I don't see enough fire and passion at critical points in critical games. Just a more reserved approach by the team in general but mainly the offense. I see absolutely nothing but a flatness to their game that reminds me of the personality of their head coach.

Will there be a change? Highly unlikely. McNair isn't that type of gambler and is a fan of Kubiak but when you look at how flat and out of sync this team is you have to see the issue with the coaching. Not to mention he is part of Rick Smith's decisions and the idea of at least not trying to work something out with Winston was a poor one. I understand Brisel was horribly overpaid by the Raiders but Winston we didn't even attempt a restructure or anything. We were just certain Newton or Butler could man it...

Another coaching decision is sticking with Walter for so darn long. He is not a #2. Period. Everyone knew this but we kept with these paltry receivers (not named Dre) for years and waited on Jacoby for a while too. Another is the idea of Casey playing fullback instead of just letting him play tight end so we could get a real fullback. So we had a makeshift fullback with a makeshift right side offensive line and expected something from that? I like Casey but I like him for receiving skills. Not lead blocking.

One thing that maybe....MAYBE....will be possible is a new offensive coordinator where Kubiak finally relents playcalling. I doubt it seriously as he is stubborn but it has been said by many position coaches who become head coaches that it is best if they allow their coaches to coach and they just worry about being a head coach. We seriously need something different from the offense and Kubiak will not change his ways. Heck, I don't even know if Dennison is capable of calling plays since he gets no opportunity. Only little Shanny got the chance here.
I miss that dude.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
DOn't want to focus on Schaub much in this thread if you don't mind GP. I acknowledge that Schaub is playing pretty bad right now, but he is only one part of the problem on an "entire offense." I'm amazed at how Kubiak is escaping this criticism right now and Schaub's getting it all. The running game is stinking, Duane Brown is getting owned, Foster has been beaten to a pulp all season with good back ups at our disposal as well. Have you ever seen an entire offense that was "3rd in scoring" just two weeks ago completely crumble like this??? I repeat we were "THIRD!!!" "3rd!!!!" "THIRD!!"

How do you go from being 3rd in scoring all season long to being a team that can't pass, can't run, can't block, and worst of all "CAN'T WIN!!"

That's a coaching problem.
Not to defend Kubiak, but I've been saying for years, we need to back off a little bit on these defensively strong drafts & FA acquisitions.

Kubiak was 3rd in scoring with a talent starved offense.... we don't have the pedigree on the defensive side of the ball like we have on the defense. Kubiak needs a couple of blue chips on his side of the ball. I love Arian, best back in the league..... I'd like to say that every now & then. But we need players from winning programs, the best of the best on the offensive side of the ball. We need guys who know how to step it up. Guys who expect to win & understand they have to get it done.

Do we need first rounders at every position? No. I'm not saying that at all. But we need to improve the "pedigree" on offense.
Old 12-30-2012   #26
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There is no Kubiak without Schaub.

There is no Schaub without Kubiak.

They are the same person.

If you cannot see this, then so be it. Both of them, together, are to blame. They have merged into the same person...as if Schaub is actually Kubiak out there on the field.

I don't think Kubiak will ever have a successful QB. Nobody could ever manage to escape Kubiak's death grip on this offense. Guys like Schaub exist to prove that boring QBs can win, too.

Isn't it funny that Kubiak was Elway's backup...and now Elway is in charge of the Broncos and he goes and gets Manning....and which team looks better? Huh?

Tebow wasn't Elway's guy. He trades him. He got VALUE for a worthless QB! Kubiak couldn't get a trade, not even a 7th round pick for an equally bad QB in Carr. Score? Elway 1, Kubiak 0.

Elway gambles on Manning, Kubiak sticks with Schaub. Elway 2, Kubiak 0.

His whole adult life, Kubiak has been looking up at John Elway.

Some guys have "it" in terms of playing QB in the NFL. And apparently some guys have "it" in terms of managing a team in the NFL. Elway holds the distinction of doing both. Kubiak does, as well, but with inverted results.

Such is life.
Rick Smith is in charge of trades, not Kubiak.
Old 12-30-2012   #27
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 14263 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At what point do people acknowledge that when a team who was 3rd in scoring and 2nd in scoring for most of the year has a huge coaching problem when it all falls apart by the end of the season? At what point do people remember who our HC is that kept us out of the playoffs prior to Wade?? The end of this season is just a huge reminder of what Kubes has always been.
because it's easier to just blame schaub.....duh.
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2012   #28
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Finally someone who gets the nuts and bolts of what I'm illustrating.

Again, people don't seem to acknowledge that all season long we've been one of the highest scoring offenses all season. These last 4 weeks have been such a rapid decline all across the board. Just a total explosion of problems. People seem to be rather blind to put it all on Schaub if you ask me. Schaub has had his problems, but how do you explain an entire offense falling flat like this?? That goes on the OC which is Kubiak when you consider everything. And we've seen this happen before.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #29
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Frankly, I'm surprised Texans fans aren't calling for Andy Reid.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #30
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Defensively they are missing intensity

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #31
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17946 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There is no Kubiak without Schaub.

There is no Schaub without Kubiak.

They are the same person.

If you cannot see this, then so be it. Both of them, together, are to blame. They have merged into the same person...as if Schaub is actually Kubiak out there on the field.

I don't think Kubiak will ever have a successful QB. Nobody could ever manage to escape Kubiak's death grip on this offense. Guys like Schaub exist to prove that boring QBs can win, too.

Isn't it funny that Kubiak was Elway's backup...and now Elway is in charge of the Broncos and he goes and gets Manning....and which team looks better? Huh?

Tebow wasn't Elway's guy. He trades him. He got VALUE for a worthless QB! Kubiak couldn't get a trade, not even a 7th round pick for an equally bad QB in Carr. Score? Elway 1, Kubiak 0.

Elway gambles on Manning, Kubiak sticks with Schaub. Elway 2, Kubiak 0.

His whole adult life, Kubiak has been looking up at John Elway.

Some guys have "it" in terms of playing QB in the NFL. And apparently some guys have "it" in terms of managing a team in the NFL. Elway holds the distinction of doing both. Kubiak does, as well, but with inverted results.

Such is life.
good points - change your sig text.
Old 12-30-2012   #32
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

He brings intensity as well as over all great play, and this team has to draft a thumper to play next to him.
Old 12-30-2012   #33
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16893 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Could losing Cushing really have hurt us this much?
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #34
midway
Veteran

Rep Power: 1490 midway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Tom View Post
Yeah, it could, and it did. However the worst part is that this team has played the last 4 weeks like it really didn't give a **** at all, and that's the worst thing.
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #35
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, losing your defensive quarterback could definitely hurt a team as much as it has hurt ours.

Look at Baltimore for further proof.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #36
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I believe it did

He kept the d fired up
Cush couLd also blitz inside

Leader like Ray Lewis
Old 12-30-2012   #37
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

So what, realistically, is the answer for us? Kubiak is not going anywhere, and Schaub got an extension a few months ago. So we're stuck with BOTH of them for, at the very least, a couple of years.

So, now what? The earliest I can see a change at QB and/or head coach is 2015.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #38
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
So what, realistically, is the answer for us? Kubiak is not going anywhere, and Schaub got an extension a few months ago. So we're stuck with BOTH of them for, at the very least, a couple of years.

So, now what? The earliest I can see a change at QB and/or head coach is 2015.
We need to keep drafting well
Old 12-30-2012   #39
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

A new coordinator? Kubiak's on, what, like his 4th or 5th offensive coordinator already? And even if he DID bring in a new coordinator, he'd hire someone just like him, and now way would he relinquish playcalling.

As I said above, I'm not sure what the answer is, because neither Kubiak nor Schaub are going anywhere any time soon.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #40
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At what point do people acknowledge that when a team who was 3rd in scoring and 2nd in scoring for most of the year has a huge coaching problem when it all falls apart by the end of the season? At what point do people remember who our HC is that kept us out of the playoffs prior to Wade?? The end of this season is just a huge reminder of what Kubes has always been.
Its just easier to blame schaub b/ c his play is most easily quantifiable from play to play....people don't really want to address putting players in the best possible situation to make plays b/c its so much easier to just "upgrade" in our trouble areas..or at least people think it is easy anyway.

The whole offense is stinking it up....and i fail to see how schaub's poor play affects the offenses inability to convert a 3rd and 2 on a simple power run play...how schaub's poor play affects the offenses' inability to convert a 2nd and goal power run play last week...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read