Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-31-2012   #1
AndyWin
Nguyenning

Rep Power: 15483 AndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Before the season, if someone gave you 12-4, you would've been ecstatic right?

Funny how things work out...
Looking at the schedule BEFORE the season, I thought potential losses @Broncos, possibly @Jets, Packers, Ravens, @Bears, @Patriots... so if someone gave me 12-4 before the season, I'd be ECSTATIC.

Well, fast-forward to now... would we be better off at 10-6 (record based on above thoughts) going into the playoffs winning our last 3 games by blowouts with all cylinders firing?

Dolphins
@Jags
@Broncos
Titans
@Jets
Packers
Ravens
Bills
@Bears
Jags
@Lions
@Titans
@Patriots
Colts
Vikings
@Colts
AndyWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Before the season, if someone gave you 12-4, you would've been ecstatic right?

The Texans would have been better off winning one of their last two games and securing home field and a bye. If you told me before the season that the team would blow that opportunity, I would not have been ecstatic.
Old 12-31-2012   #3
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13530 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Before the season, if someone gave you 12-4, you would've been ecstatic right?

I had them at 9-7 yet still winning the division. 12-4 is the best record any Houston pro football team has ever achieved.
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep. But if you had told me the Texans would look this bad over the last couple games, I would have the same feeling- disappointment.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I told people here in Chicago that asked about the Texans...they assume I cheer for Cowboys and Texans the same...that if they got home field with the fans I didn't see them losing in the playoffs. I told one of the guys I talk sports with a lot that if they have to go to Denver, NE, Baltimore, etc that they would have issues. That is why 12-4 doesn't feel like 12-4 because you don't run the show now.
Old 12-31-2012   #6
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

If you would have told me this team would collapse like they did, then now. Being 11-1 and ending 12-4 is nothing to be excited about.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWin View Post
Well, fast-forward to now... would we be better off at 10-6 (record based on above thoughts) going into the playoffs winning our last 3 games by blowouts with all cylinders firing?
Yes.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2012   #8
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

12-4 Looks fantastic - on paper.

But seeing how this team has played since the bye - and the way they lost the last 2 games and HFA - not so much.
Old 12-31-2012   #9
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 71984 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

The bottom line is this team consistently shat their panties down the stretch and look like maggot infested dog $hit laying in the hot sun for 5 days.

I don't give a God damn about 12-4 and "The best record the Texans have had" as many people will try to say (not calling anyone out, just general statement) to put a feel good spin on things.

I trust the eyes in my effing skull and they tell me right now this team blows donkey balls right now.....PERIOD.

Of course I still love the team and will drunkenly fool myself into being excited about our game next week and waste money at the bar to see it all happen but damn, right now, top to bottom, this sucks. It's hard to cover this pile of $hit up with roses right now.

Reality sux.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #10
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm happy with the way the regular season as a whole went, but it's tough not to be disappointed in how it ended.

Three chances at the end of the season to clinch the #1 seed and they laid three eggs.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
12-4 Looks fantastic - on paper.

But seeing how this team has played since the bye - and the way they lost the last 2 games and HFA - not so much.
This is the biggest thing. It's not that we're 12-4, or that we lost the last two games of the season. But we just haven't looked right since the bye.

Most of us tried to make excuses for that, and for the most part, they were legit. But the bye week was what? 9 weeks ago? And there really is no excuse for us to be having the issues we're having now. We've had time to adjust to whatever injuries we've sustained, for however the league has evolved... but we can't get the ball into the end zone.

Would we be better off at 10-6? No. Then we wouldn't even have a home play-off game.

But here's the thing. When we were winning, but playing poorly we could see the way things were trending downward. I wonder if we would be able to see any upward trends despite our losses. I think the defense showed some flashes against Minnesota. I think the offense showed some flashes against Indy. I don't know if there are any trends developing, but I don't think a loss to Cincinnati is guaranteed. If we can win that game, taking another step forward on both sides of the ball, things may be looking up.

I don't believe Gary, Matt, Wade, or this defense is in over their heads. I'd have loved to have homefield, I'd have loved to host the AFC Championship game. But I think playing through may be better for the team that has been playing the way we have.
Old 12-31-2012   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldve asked how did we play to get that record...

If you wouldve told me ever detail of the season since play 1 of game 1, the only reason I wouldve watched is for Jj watt.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #13
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13530 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I don't believe Gary, Matt, Wade, or this defense is in over their heads.
Wade is deserving of some stick for having them in Man/Cover 1 on the 3rd & 23. It is the exact same play they scored with in Houston just before half time. Otherwise your post is spot on.
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I long for the days of 7-9 teams and not having to be all anxious about the playoffs.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Ever heard the phrase "the devil is in the details"? Yep.
Old 12-31-2012   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Ever heard the phrase "the devil is in the details"? Yep.

Exactly. Just showing someone a record doesn't tell you what you need to know about the quality of the team. Sure someone is always going to whip out that "Great teams find a way to win" rubbish but if you strung together a bunch of fluke wins mixed in with a little refball and some sub-par opponents you could get 10-12 wins in a season and still be a bad team just waiting to burn in the postseason.
Old 12-31-2012   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs are where you show who you are. Last year I thought we did a damn good job considering the circumstances.

This year hasn't played out yet. Personally, I think after we beat the Bengals we'll be out the next game. But those games haven't been played yet.

I picked the Texans to win 10, maybe 11 games, so telling me before the season started we'd be 12-4, I would have been puzzled as to where the 12 wins were coming from. But, the Texans took us on a nice trip that looks to be running out of gas quickly. We just have to wait and see if they find a filling station.

I wouldn't bet on it though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #18
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 811 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyways you put it going from 11-1 and a lock for the #1 seed to 12-4 and the #3 seed is a choke job. Every fan is right to be pissed.

We will see if they can redeem themselves in the playoffs, but at this point it is a huge disappointment to the fan base.
ajohnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #19
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21537 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

With the history this franchise has, I would have asked, "What's the catch?"
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #20
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24657 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Playoffs are where you show who you are. Last year I thought we did a damn good job considering the circumstances.

This year hasn't played out yet. Personally, I think after we beat the Bengals we'll be out the next game. But those games haven't been played yet.

I picked the Texans to win 10, maybe 11 games, so telling me before the season started we'd be 12-4, I would have been puzzled as to where the 12 wins were coming from. But, the Texans took us on a nice trip that looks to be running out of gas quickly. We just have to wait and see if they find a filling station.

I wouldn't bet on it though.
Rep for this because it's true.

Teams are judged in the playoffs. If we go out and lose to Cincy then the story will be "How the wheel fell off."

If they smash Cincy then the story will be "Are the Texans back?"

Then if they go on to lose again to the Pats the story will be "What do the Texans have to do to get past the Patriots and elite QBs?"

If they beat the Pats the story will be about how they turned it on at the right time.

The fact is we will be judged by what we do in January now. If you told me we'd be 12-4 in the regular season I would say they had a great regular season. No Matter what they did.

I mean the Texans have the 4th Best Record in the NFL. No one is excusing the recent losses but at the same time you have to look at the good the team has done as well. They had a great season, we are all disappointed because they missed a great opportunity...but the real goal for the team is still out there to grab.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read