Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-14-2005   #41
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus22
You took the words right outta my mouth!! E. Smith didn't have break a way speed but I rarely ever saw him being caught from behind. They said, "too small, not big enough, not fast enough". Now look. He's the best complete running back to ever play the game and I think DD is cut from the same mold. Keep runnin' DD!!
Let us not forget that Smith had arguably one of the best O-Lines ever or at least thru the 90's. Not to discount what he has done. It took him doing great things. On the other hand our O-Line is probaly one the worst since our teams inception (that is to be somewhat expected). So if he can do 80% of what Smith did at this point in his career, then great. Smith also rarely got injured for multiple games @ a time and never really had a fumbling issue, two things DD seems to have had happen his first 2 years in the league. Hopefully it seems the fumbling thing has gone away.
Old 06-14-2005   #42
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

DD is off the chain. Everyone has fumbled at least once. It's not the end of the world. That's the game.
HoustonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #43
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think anyone (well..not many) dislike DD here.. we are just honest about things.

We are ALL happy to have DD and we dont want him to go ANYWHERE.. but there are certain things about DD that you HAVE to acknowledge.

1. he isnt fast.. hes quick.. but he isnt going to outdistance a saftey once he breaks into the secondary.

2. he isnt durable. he has had alot of injury problems.. but luckily no major ones. So, if he cant toughen up (not an insult.. some people just arent made to take 30+ carries a game) then he cannot be an every down back for us.

3. he does not play well when he isnt at 100%. He didnt fully recover from his minor injuries till the last few games of the season.. and that is when he got alot of his yards.

Those are the negatives.. the positives are.

1. He is small and shifty.. but still powerful. He WILL make you miss.. and he WILL make you work to take him down.

2. He has great vision and is great at finding the hole.

3. he has an awesome attitude and work ethic.

4. if we could find another good RB to share carries with him.. he would be an awesome RB in a multiple RB offense.

5. he has great hands and can pick up yards after the catch.

So.. im very grateful to have him.. but he DOES have downsides at the moment.. and is not a top 10 RB.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #44
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I dont think anyone (well..not many) dislike DD here.. we are just honest about things.

We are ALL happy to have DD and we dont want him to go ANYWHERE.. but there are certain things about DD that you HAVE to acknowledge.

1. he isnt fast.. hes quick.. but he isnt going to outdistance a saftey once he breaks into the secondary.

2. he isnt durable. he has had alot of injury problems.. but luckily no major ones. So, if he cant toughen up (not an insult.. some people just arent made to take 30+ carries a game) then he cannot be an every down back for us.

3. he does not play well when he isnt at 100%. He didnt fully recover from his minor injuries till the last few games of the season.. and that is when he got alot of his yards.

Those are the negatives.. the positives are.

1. He is small and shifty.. but still powerful. He WILL make you miss.. and he WILL make you work to take him down.

2. He has great vision and is great at finding the hole.

3. he has an awesome attitude and work ethic.

4. if we could find another good RB to share carries with him.. he would be an awesome RB in a multiple RB offense.

5. he has great hands and can pick up yards after the catch.

So.. im very grateful to have him.. but he DOES have downsides at the moment.. and is not a top 10 RB.
He isnt even Top 40
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #45
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

your either being sarcastic, or have intellectual capacity of your average rock garden.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #46
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05
He isnt even Top 40
Ok then, name the top 40 that are better than DD...
Old 06-15-2005   #47
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He isnt even Top 40
OK look--DD apologized for when he fumbled the football in training camp and knocked the ice cream out of your hand--get over it, this is pathetic.
Old 06-15-2005   #48
Str8tupg42k1
Veteran

I look at this board everyday and read what ya'll say. I usually don't post anything really, but caz made a good point on Domanick Davis. I have seen alot of people talk down on DD and some defend him. I really like what DD has done with the Texans in his young career and will hopefully keep doing what he is doing or better than that. If the Texans dont offer him a good contract then I would think that the texans are taking him for granted. DD has shown what he can do and thats with a below average O-line. Imagine what he can do with an above average O-line. If you ever have doubts of DD or are down on him just remember week 15 against the jaguars.
Str8tupg42k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #49
Mr Shush
Veteran

I think most of us "DD-knockers" (except RBin05) would say we were really just trying to be realistic. Realistic in saying he's good but not great, realistic in saying his body is not capable of standing up to the punishment involved in an HOF running back career (or anything like it), realistic in saying he's an adequate solution but that we would not object to seeing the position upgraded by the addition of superior talent or more even distribution of carries among several such good-but-not-great backs.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #50
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8tupg42k1
I look at this board everyday and read what ya'll say. I usually don't post anything really, but caz made a good point on Domanick Davis. I have seen alot of people talk down on DD and some defend him. I really like what DD has done with the Texans in his young career and will hopefully keep doing what he is doing or better than that. If the Texans dont offer him a good contract then I would think that the texans are taking him for granted. DD has shown what he can do and thats with a below average O-line. Imagine what he can do with an above average O-line. If you ever have doubts of DD or are down on him just remember week 15 against the jaguars.
I think DD is going to do a great job this year. I just wanted to remind you that the Texans OL is rated rather high in relation to run-blocking; however, the pass-blocking is definitely below-average. They have the sacks allowed to prove it. DD has the possibility of getting 1300 yds rushing and 400 yds recieving. I still contend that he COULD be the first Houston Texan named a HOFer.
Old 06-15-2005   #51
Str8tupg42k1
Veteran

I agree with you rittenhouserobz after all he has done he should be a texan hofer
Str8tupg42k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #52
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He isnt even Top 40
TexansNeedRBin05 enjoys entering a thread to bash DD then leave without ever supporting his claims. His opinions seem based more off Madden than actual football knowledge.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #53
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
OK look--DD apologized for when he fumbled the football in training camp and knocked the ice cream out of your hand--get over it, this is pathetic.
How did he knock the Ice Cream out of my hand? Abilene is along way for Houston!
Old 06-15-2005   #54
Davis37
All Pro

I agree that DD isnt HOF material, but that doesnt mean that he isnt a great back. He had 4 fumbles in the 1st 2 games cause he was trying to fight for more yards after contact and was getting stripped. After those 2 games, he did not fumble for the rest of the season. Some people say he isnt durable enough. How many backs can carry the ball as many times as he did, AND .catch 68 passes and not miss a game? A few people say he lacks breakaway speed. He might not be as fast as Portis, but if he gets in the open field, he can make people miss and go to the house. We saw that 2 times last season, 1 got called back though. I think that he will be even more productive this season. The run blocking should be very much improved, and with Morency taking some of the snaps, DD should stay healthy. I hope DD gets 1400-1500 yards rushing this season to shut some of you people up. cough* TexansNeedRBin05 cough*
Old 06-15-2005   #55
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

Let's all bear in mind that he is entering his 3rd year ... on a former expansion team. Give him a lil time to become that seasoned vet you all claim he isn't or will ever be. Unlike most teams, we don't have the luxury of 5-7 years worth of draft picks in our starters much less the bench. Depth with the players that surround him will make him better IMO.
Old 06-15-2005   #56
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJim
Let's all bear in mind that he is entering his 3rd year ... on a former expansion team. Give him a lil time to become that seasoned vet you all claim he isn't or will ever be. Unlike most teams, we don't have the luxury of 5-7 years worth of draft picks in our starters much less the bench. Depth with the players that surround him will make him better IMO.
Boy I hope it makes him ALOT better!
Old 06-15-2005   #57
bigtex77
Veteran

Quote:
Boy I hope it makes him ALOT better!
Look man, I don't know if you are an LSU hater or just DD but you need to get over it. All things considered he has done a great job regardless of what uninformed, so-called fans like you say.
Old 06-15-2005   #58
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
TexansNeedRBin05's signature:
PLEASE TEXANS GET A RB IN 05!
you should be happy to know that there are currently six runnigbacks on the texans roster. they are as follows:

Jason Anderson
Domanick Davis
Tony Hollings
Jonathan Wells
Adam Matthews
Vernand Morency

just to catch you up to speed, look for Domanick Davis, Tony Hollings, and Vernand Morency to make the team as RB's. Jonathen Wells could be kept as a fourth running back but has a chance at being switched to FB duties. if you haven't heard, we have one of the most promising young runningback's in the enitre NFL in Domanick Davis (known as DD around here). here is a synopsis of his impressive career thus far as a texan (from the texan's homepage):

Quote:
Strong, darting runner who has become a focal point of Houston’s offense over his first two seasons…adept at shedding tackles and finding seams…has already rushed for 2,219 career yards and 21 TDs…has also caught 115 passes for 942 yards and one score…can boast eight career 100-yard games…holds 27 team records, including most career rushing yards, total yards (3,161) and TDs (22)…one of 13 NFL backs over the past 20 years to record consecutive 1,000-yard seasons to start his career…rushed for a career-high and club-record 1,188 yards in 2004, breaking his own 2003 record (1,031)…set a Texans single-game record with 158 rushing yards at Jacksonville (12/26/04)…led all AFC backs last season with 68 receptions…one of the NFL’s surprise success stories of 2003…led all rookies with 1,031 rushing yards, setting 16 team records in the process…totaled 1,381 yards from scrimmage and scored eight TDs despite not starting until Week 6…snagged five NFL Rookie of the Week honors before ultimately earning NFL Rookie of the Year honors…originally selected by the Texans in the fourth round (101st overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft, the eighth running back selected.
if your strictly a numbers guy here is great link for you to see how successful DD has been for the texans.

i always feel good when i get to help a fellow texan fan when it comes to the facts concerning our young franchise and it's promising players. your welcome, TexansNeedRBin05...

[/SARCASM]

also, when did a fumbling problem mean the same thing as a player had a couple bad games carrying the football? DD fumbled four times both in 2003 and 2004. i understand the fumbles in the begining of last season seemed like they decided the outcome of the charger's game (to some), but in the end four fumbles is four fumbles. 8 fumbles in 29 games isn't great by any means, but you have to think if this "fumbling problem" is one of DD's most notable problems, then is he really that bad? and break away speed, shmake away speed...ask curtis martin about break away speed and get laughed at
Old 06-15-2005   #59
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How did he knock the Ice Cream out of my hand? Abilene is along way for Houston!
Joke Alert--picture a siren going off- - "Is that a good siren"--response "Have you ever known a siren to be good."

Dude, joke--if you really want me to supply answers I will but it will be in the same vein.
Old 06-15-2005   #60
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am begining to smell the odor of a troll here. Just keeps harping on the same thing to get a rise out of supporters. Could just be a pimply faced kid who's stones haven't dropped, but I suspect a troll.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read