Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2005   #1
Caz
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 36
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0 Caz is ridin' the pine
Default Why are Texan Fans so Down on Dominick Davis

I am not a Texan fan by any means. I am a bonifide Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I began watching the Texans a little on Directv when Dom Capers took over being that he was the coach I always thought the Steelers should of kept. Turns out that wasn't the case.

Anyway, so I am a huge fantasy football player. I caught DD before anyone and I was sure he was a steal. He didn't disapoint me in the least bit. I continued to watch DD even when he wasn't a starter on my fantasy football team because he was a gift to watch. The Texans slowly became my second favorite team to watch. I mean come on you have David Carr, Andre Johnson, but neither of them play as hard as DD and thats saying a lot considering the 2 I just compared him with. The fact of the matter is the way DD goes the Texans go. People talk about DD fumbling problems. He fumbles 4 times in the first 2 or 3 games last year which was bad, but he didn't lose the ball once after that the rest of the year. He was a beast.

My question is how can fans who's team found a hidden gem like that, an overacheiver, and be so disloyal to him. Worst yet how can a team be so disloyal to the hardest working player on the team. DD has it all. He can run through you, around you, or beat you with his hands.

Please Houston if you don't want him, send him to the Steelers. God know our fragile backs will be done in the next 2 years or less. He is by far the best back in the NFL, but he is the closest thing to LT or Holmes you will get without actually getting them.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #2
ojthecat
Veteran
 
ojthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 52
Posts: 340
Rep Power: 11 ojthecat is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz
I am not a Texan fan by any means. I am a bonifide Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I began watching the Texans a little on Directv when Dom Capers took over being that he was the coach I always thought the Steelers should of kept. Turns out that wasn't the case.

Anyway, so I am a huge fantasy football player. I caught DD before anyone and I was sure he was a steal. He didn't disapoint me in the least bit. I continued to watch DD even when he wasn't a starter on my fantasy football team because he was a gift to watch. The Texans slowly became my second favorite team to watch. I mean come on you have David Carr, Andre Johnson, but neither of them play as hard as DD and thats saying a lot considering the 2 I just compared him with. The fact of the matter is the way DD goes the Texans go. People talk about DD fumbling problems. He fumbles 4 times in the first 2 or 3 games last year which was bad, but he didn't lose the ball once after that the rest of the year. He was a beast.

My question is how can fans who's team found a hidden gem like that, an overacheiver, and be so disloyal to him. Worst yet how can a team be so disloyal to the hardest working player on the team. DD has it all. He can run through you, around you, or beat you with his hands.

Please Houston if you don't want him, send him to the Steelers. God know our fragile backs will be done in the next 2 years or less. He is by far the best back in the NFL, but he is the closest thing to LT or Holmes you will get without actually getting them.

In Texas it takes us a while to get over a fumble
__________________
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week."
ojthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor
 
SheTexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pasadena, Texas
Age: 69
Posts: 7,138
Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz
I am not a Texan fan by any means. I am a bonifide Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I began watching the Texans a little on Directv when Dom Capers took over being that he was the coach I always thought the Steelers should of kept. Turns out that wasn't the case.

Anyway, so I am a huge fantasy football player. I caught DD before anyone and I was sure he was a steal. He didn't disapoint me in the least bit. I continued to watch DD even when he wasn't a starter on my fantasy football team because he was a gift to watch. The Texans slowly became my second favorite team to watch. I mean come on you have David Carr, Andre Johnson, but neither of them play as hard as DD and thats saying a lot considering the 2 I just compared him with. The fact of the matter is the way DD goes the Texans go. People talk about DD fumbling problems. He fumbles 4 times in the first 2 or 3 games last year which was bad, but he didn't lose the ball once after that the rest of the year. He was a beast.

My question is how can fans who's team found a hidden gem like that, an overacheiver, and be so disloyal to him. Worst yet how can a team be so disloyal to the hardest working player on the team. DD has it all. He can run through you, around you, or beat you with his hands.

Please Houston if you don't want him, send him to the Steelers. God know our fragile backs will be done in the next 2 years or less. He is by far the best back in the NFL, but he is the closest thing to LT or Holmes you will get without actually getting them.
Hummmmmmmm!!!!!!! News to me! Last I read everyone was defending him to the hilt! As for as I know, Texan fans LOVE DD!! Don't know where you got your information.
__________________
Quote:
Wake up, thank the Man for today, and dominate everything you do.
Brian Cushing
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #4
YodAa
All Pro
 
YodAa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston,TX
Age: 24
Posts: 915
Rep Power: 10 YodAa is ridin' the pine
Send a message via AIM to YodAa
Default

Never!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me? Send DD to the Steelers? Not in this lifetime my friend, because this coming season the Tremendous Trio (Carr, AirDre, and DD) are gonna kick some major booty!
__________________
Bucs Super Bowl XLI Champs
YodAa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #5
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame
 
rittenhouserobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,100
Rep Power: 12 rittenhouserobz is ridin' the pine
Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz
People talk about DD fumbling problems. He fumbles 4 times in the first 2 or 3 games last year which was bad, but he didn't lose the ball once after that the rest of the year. He was a beast.
I believe people were down on him, because we were the first team to lose to the Chargers last year. We definitely thought we had the upperhand in that matchup. When he fumbled the ball at the goaline it took alot of the wind out of the sails. I would just like to see the defense play solid all year so DD can astound all the DD doubters.
__________________
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Ben Franklin
rittenhouserobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #6
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Abliene Texas
Age: 24
Posts: 311
Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05
Default

Slow, Small, Fumbling Problem, and a Terrible Back!
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #7
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Spring TX
Age: 40
Posts: 1,098
Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad
Default

He is small and he HAD a fumbling problem but he isn't slow.
__________________
Kubiak is no mechanic!
Trade in the Carr and go with a Young-er model!
Big B Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2005   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame
 
TheOgre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back in the cellar again
Posts: 3,739
Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
He is small and he HAD a fumbling problem but he isn't slow.
DD has quickness but lacks breakaway speed.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #9
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Spring TX
Age: 40
Posts: 1,098
Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
DD has quickness but lacks breakaway speed.
Only a select few have all the tools. Other than that you gotta take the good(shiftiness, quickness, and great hands out of the backfield) with the bad (no breakaway speed, size, and fumbling{hpefully that has been resolved}).
__________________
Kubiak is no mechanic!
Trade in the Carr and go with a Young-er model!
Big B Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #10
Beastlyman2003
Veteran
 
Beastlyman2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: League City TX
Age: 27
Posts: 226
Rep Power: 0 Beastlyman2003 is ridin' the pine
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
DD has quickness but lacks breakaway speed.
I dont seem to remember him getting drug down from behind after he broke away from the pack. Wouldnt that be considered breakaway speed?
__________________
I got Rick James in my veins!
Beastlyman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #11
YodAa
All Pro
 
YodAa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston,TX
Age: 24
Posts: 915
Rep Power: 10 YodAa is ridin' the pine
Send a message via AIM to YodAa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05
Slow, Small, Fumbling Problem, and a Terrible Back!
Fast, ok he is small, stopped fumbling after the 1st quarter of the season, and he looks like a pimp when he runs!!!
__________________
Bucs Super Bowl XLI Champs
YodAa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #12
B.Diddy
Veteran
 
B.Diddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Missouri City T.X./ Sam Houston State University
Age: 32
Posts: 259
Rep Power: 11 B.Diddy is ridin' the pine
Send a message via AIM to B.Diddy
Default

Hmmmm........The definition of a terriable back: Back to back 1000 yrd seasons without playing every game great hands usually loses the initial tackler oh yeah he is a terriable back we should cut him
__________________
Omega Psi Phi till the day i die
B.Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #13
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Spring TX
Age: 40
Posts: 1,098
Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad
Default

Yea lets cut 'em and bring back James Allen
__________________
Kubiak is no mechanic!
Trade in the Carr and go with a Young-er model!
Big B Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #14
Beastlyman2003
Veteran
 
Beastlyman2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: League City TX
Age: 27
Posts: 226
Rep Power: 0 Beastlyman2003 is ridin' the pine
Default another thought

I have stood next to Domanick many a time and at the doctor i measure 6'0 255. sortof short and stocky build. he is the exact same size as me. i have a picture of me and him and we are literally the exact same build. Im sure he is smallish for a RB in the NFL, but he isnt a small person. He looks alot smaller than he is on tv or at the games cuz hes in the huddle with 6'9 todd wade and seth wand. Also being smaller than the person trying to takle you has its advantages. Smaller target, harder to tackle. Hes gonna blowup next season. 1500+ RUSHING ALONE + whatever recieving yards David Carr wants to give him. heard it from THE BEAST first!!!
__________________
I got Rick James in my veins!
Beastlyman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #15
Caz
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 36
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0 Caz is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
Hummmmmmmm!!!!!!! News to me! Last I read everyone was defending him to the hilt! As for as I know, Texan fans LOVE DD!! Don't know where you got your information.

You say everyone is defending him but just this post alone brings up the fact that everyone is defending him is inaccurate. Somebody else said it best, 2 consecutive 1000yd season with out playing the whole season is pretty impressive. As far as his size goes, it isn't everything. It may contribute a little to his injuries but his problem most likely is he is always looking over his shoulder because we are bringing in Morency to replace him, and now let look at Travis Henry who spend quite a few games on the bench before Maghee because he was hurt all the time. If my job is on the line I am not going to wait to be 100% off an injury either. Dom Capers makes no sense with trying to trade for Henry. I look at Bronco fans taking about how they have the greatest RB's in the world and debate all year with each who is better and if they are gonna run "2 stud buffalo's at once" behind Plummer. It never happens. Its always one featured back.

DD is taken for granted by a lot of people on this board and his coaching staff. The first quarter of last season is well over people. Look at the last part of the year what he did for you and what he is capable of. He is a great back and there are alot of teams that would glady take him off your hands.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #16
pek281
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston
Age: 48
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 17 pek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden cover
Default

What the heck? This post says we're down on Domanick Davis? Then I scroll down the post... what the heck... all this negativity on Domanick Davis? I don't get it. He's a cheap man's Priest Holmes... Marshall Faulk.

No, poster. I submit to you.... we LOVE DD.
pek281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #17
edo783
Site Contributor
 
edo783's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, again.
Posts: 7,706
Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

When are you people going to realize he isn't small. Check the size of Holms and others. He is the same hieght as most and now weighs 220. He isn't slow, but he isn't fast either. Quick into the hole. Doesn't have the break away gear. Breaks tackles. Catchs as well as any back. Blocks and picks up the blitz as well as anyone. Other than the second gear, he is pretty complet.
__________________


De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #18
wrestler4life
Veteran
 
wrestler4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Camarillo, Ca.
Age: 39
Posts: 318
Rep Power: 10 wrestler4life is ridin' the pine
Default

Let's give him a full healthy season before we run him out. If he plays for around 85% of the season's snaps, and the passing game is OK, he should be at around 1800 yards.
If he is less than 1000 or he is too oft onjured, then we can look to trade him or release him.
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #19
Caz
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 36
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0 Caz is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek281
What the heck? This post says we're down on Domanick Davis? Then I scroll down the post... what the heck... all this negativity on Domanick Davis? I don't get it. He's a cheap man's Priest Holmes... Marshall Faulk.

No, poster. I submit to you.... we LOVE DD.
There is a lot more DD supporters in here but if you look at an earlier post about Travis Henry coming there was quite a few post on how he would be a huge upgrade over any RB you guys have now. There was another post about Morency starting by mid season.

I read all that stuff. Like I said earlier I enjoy watching the Texans so they are the only other team besides the Steelers I follow. I just don't see what DD has done bad to warrent all these pick-ups and talk of him losing his job. He becomes a free agent after next year and thats the only thing I can think of that would remotely make sense on why they are picking up other players just incase they can't sign him to a long term deal. I hope Dom Capers didn't get stupider in his old age.

By the way, for the whole size arguement, I support the fact DD is the same size as Priest Holmes and acknowledge that. You can argue all day long about that and people don't care. The NFL and coaches got all the NFL fans believing bigger is better and thats all fans care about now. Not many starting RB's are above 5'11 which isn't a far cry from 5'9. But if the NFL says thats the way it is the fans will believe it.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #20
Jwwillis
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 52
Posts: 610
Rep Power: 11 Jwwillis is a team player
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz
You say everyone is defending him but just this post alone brings up the fact that everyone is defending him is inaccurate. Somebody else said it best, 2 consecutive 1000yd season with out playing the whole season is pretty impressive. As far as his size goes, it isn't everything. It may contribute a little to his injuries but his problem most likely is he is always looking over his shoulder because we are bringing in Morency to replace him, and now let look at Travis Henry who spend quite a few games on the bench before Maghee because he was hurt all the time. If my job is on the line I am not going to wait to be 100% off an injury either. Dom Capers makes no sense with trying to trade for Henry. I look at Bronco fans taking about how they have the greatest RB's in the world and debate all year with each who is better and if they are gonna run "2 stud buffalo's at once" behind Plummer. It never happens. Its always one featured back.

DD is taken for granted by a lot of people on this board and his coaching staff. The first quarter of last season is well over people. Look at the last part of the year what he did for you and what he is capable of. He is a great back and there are alot of teams that would glady take him off your hands.
Capers and Co. have made the low draft pick DD there starting RB over Allen, Mack, Wells, Hollings and Morency. How that is taking DD for granted Im not sure. The fumble problems lasted more than a quarter and so have his injuries. DD fumbles in the first 2 games last year ended up costing the Texans there first trip to the playoffs. DD has yet to play a full season and Houston fans are tired of the "potential" tag. "Put up or shut up" seems to be the theme this year. I for 1 have always liked DD and think he does get undue criticism. Most notably when he was leading our team in receiving and yards after catch but the Texans were losing. Seems if he does well then the Texans are concentrating on him too much and not throwing down field enough. If DD is not getting the touches then the Texans are not utilizing all of there weapons. Suffice to say you can't please everyone. In general I think most Texans fans are happy with DD but yearn to see him live up to his potential. P.S. Im an old fart who remembers when the Steeler fans wanted Bradshaw gone so Im sure you understand.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger