Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-13-2005   #1
Caz
Rookie

Default Why are Texan Fans so Down on Dominick Davis

I am not a Texan fan by any means. I am a bonifide Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I began watching the Texans a little on Directv when Dom Capers took over being that he was the coach I always thought the Steelers should of kept. Turns out that wasn't the case.

Anyway, so I am a huge fantasy football player. I caught DD before anyone and I was sure he was a steal. He didn't disapoint me in the least bit. I continued to watch DD even when he wasn't a starter on my fantasy football team because he was a gift to watch. The Texans slowly became my second favorite team to watch. I mean come on you have David Carr, Andre Johnson, but neither of them play as hard as DD and thats saying a lot considering the 2 I just compared him with. The fact of the matter is the way DD goes the Texans go. People talk about DD fumbling problems. He fumbles 4 times in the first 2 or 3 games last year which was bad, but he didn't lose the ball once after that the rest of the year. He was a beast.

My question is how can fans who's team found a hidden gem like that, an overacheiver, and be so disloyal to him. Worst yet how can a team be so disloyal to the hardest working player on the team. DD has it all. He can run through you, around you, or beat you with his hands.

Please Houston if you don't want him, send him to the Steelers. God know our fragile backs will be done in the next 2 years or less. He is by far the best back in the NFL, but he is the closest thing to LT or Holmes you will get without actually getting them.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #2
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz
I am not a Texan fan by any means. I am a bonifide Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I began watching the Texans a little on Directv when Dom Capers took over being that he was the coach I always thought the Steelers should of kept. Turns out that wasn't the case.

Anyway, so I am a huge fantasy football player. I caught DD before anyone and I was sure he was a steal. He didn't disapoint me in the least bit. I continued to watch DD even when he wasn't a starter on my fantasy football team because he was a gift to watch. The Texans slowly became my second favorite team to watch. I mean come on you have David Carr, Andre Johnson, but neither of them play as hard as DD and thats saying a lot considering the 2 I just compared him with. The fact of the matter is the way DD goes the Texans go. People talk about DD fumbling problems. He fumbles 4 times in the first 2 or 3 games last year which was bad, but he didn't lose the ball once after that the rest of the year. He was a beast.

My question is how can fans who's team found a hidden gem like that, an overacheiver, and be so disloyal to him. Worst yet how can a team be so disloyal to the hardest working player on the team. DD has it all. He can run through you, around you, or beat you with his hands.

Please Houston if you don't want him, send him to the Steelers. God know our fragile backs will be done in the next 2 years or less. He is by far the best back in the NFL, but he is the closest thing to LT or Holmes you will get without actually getting them.

In Texas it takes us a while to get over a fumble
Old 06-13-2005   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz

Hummmmmmmm!!!!!!! News to me! Last I read everyone was defending him to the hilt! As for as I know, Texan fans LOVE DD!! Don't know where you got your information.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #4
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

Never!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me? Send DD to the Steelers? Not in this lifetime my friend, because this coming season the Tremendous Trio (Carr, AirDre, and DD) are gonna kick some major booty!
Old 06-13-2005   #5
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz
People talk about DD fumbling problems. He fumbles 4 times in the first 2 or 3 games last year which was bad, but he didn't lose the ball once after that the rest of the year. He was a beast.
I believe people were down on him, because we were the first team to lose to the Chargers last year. We definitely thought we had the upperhand in that matchup. When he fumbled the ball at the goaline it took alot of the wind out of the sails. I would just like to see the defense play solid all year so DD can astound all the DD doubters.
Old 06-13-2005   #6
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Slow, Small, Fumbling Problem, and a Terrible Back!
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #7
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

He is small and he HAD a fumbling problem but he isn't slow.
Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2005   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
He is small and he HAD a fumbling problem but he isn't slow.
DD has quickness but lacks breakaway speed.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #9
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Only a select few have all the tools. Other than that you gotta take the good(shiftiness, quickness, and great hands out of the backfield) with the bad (no breakaway speed, size, and fumbling{hpefully that has been resolved}).
Old 06-13-2005   #10
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I dont seem to remember him getting drug down from behind after he broke away from the pack. Wouldnt that be considered breakaway speed?
Old 06-13-2005   #11
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05
Slow, Small, Fumbling Problem, and a Terrible Back!
Fast, ok he is small, stopped fumbling after the 1st quarter of the season, and he looks like a pimp when he runs!!!
Old 06-13-2005   #12
B.Diddy
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to B.Diddy

Hmmmm........The definition of a terriable back: Back to back 1000 yrd seasons without playing every game great hands usually loses the initial tackler oh yeah he is a terriable back we should cut him
Old 06-13-2005   #13
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Yea lets cut 'em and bring back James Allen
Old 06-13-2005   #14
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Default another thought

I have stood next to Domanick many a time and at the doctor i measure 6'0 255. sortof short and stocky build. he is the exact same size as me. i have a picture of me and him and we are literally the exact same build. Im sure he is smallish for a RB in the NFL, but he isnt a small person. He looks alot smaller than he is on tv or at the games cuz hes in the huddle with 6'9 todd wade and seth wand. Also being smaller than the person trying to takle you has its advantages. Smaller target, harder to tackle. Hes gonna blowup next season. 1500+ RUSHING ALONE + whatever recieving yards David Carr wants to give him. heard it from THE BEAST first!!!
Old 06-13-2005   #15
Caz
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
Hummmmmmmm!!!!!!! News to me! Last I read everyone was defending him to the hilt! As for as I know, Texan fans LOVE DD!! Don't know where you got your information.

You say everyone is defending him but just this post alone brings up the fact that everyone is defending him is inaccurate. Somebody else said it best, 2 consecutive 1000yd season with out playing the whole season is pretty impressive. As far as his size goes, it isn't everything. It may contribute a little to his injuries but his problem most likely is he is always looking over his shoulder because we are bringing in Morency to replace him, and now let look at Travis Henry who spend quite a few games on the bench before Maghee because he was hurt all the time. If my job is on the line I am not going to wait to be 100% off an injury either. Dom Capers makes no sense with trying to trade for Henry. I look at Bronco fans taking about how they have the greatest RB's in the world and debate all year with each who is better and if they are gonna run "2 stud buffalo's at once" behind Plummer. It never happens. Its always one featured back.

DD is taken for granted by a lot of people on this board and his coaching staff. The first quarter of last season is well over people. Look at the last part of the year what he did for you and what he is capable of. He is a great back and there are alot of teams that would glady take him off your hands.
Old 06-13-2005   #16
pek281
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 pek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden cover

What the heck? This post says we're down on Domanick Davis? Then I scroll down the post... what the heck... all this negativity on Domanick Davis? I don't get it. He's a cheap man's Priest Holmes... Marshall Faulk.

No, poster. I submit to you.... we LOVE DD.
pek281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

When are you people going to realize he isn't small. Check the size of Holms and others. He is the same hieght as most and now weighs 220. He isn't slow, but he isn't fast either. Quick into the hole. Doesn't have the break away gear. Breaks tackles. Catchs as well as any back. Blocks and picks up the blitz as well as anyone. Other than the second gear, he is pretty complet.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #18
wrestler4life
Veteran

Let's give him a full healthy season before we run him out. If he plays for around 85% of the season's snaps, and the passing game is OK, he should be at around 1800 yards.
If he is less than 1000 or he is too oft onjured, then we can look to trade him or release him.
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #19
Caz
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek281
What the heck? This post says we're down on Domanick Davis? Then I scroll down the post... what the heck... all this negativity on Domanick Davis? I don't get it. He's a cheap man's Priest Holmes... Marshall Faulk.

No, poster. I submit to you.... we LOVE DD.
There is a lot more DD supporters in here but if you look at an earlier post about Travis Henry coming there was quite a few post on how he would be a huge upgrade over any RB you guys have now. There was another post about Morency starting by mid season.

I read all that stuff. Like I said earlier I enjoy watching the Texans so they are the only other team besides the Steelers I follow. I just don't see what DD has done bad to warrent all these pick-ups and talk of him losing his job. He becomes a free agent after next year and thats the only thing I can think of that would remotely make sense on why they are picking up other players just incase they can't sign him to a long term deal. I hope Dom Capers didn't get stupider in his old age.

By the way, for the whole size arguement, I support the fact DD is the same size as Priest Holmes and acknowledge that. You can argue all day long about that and people don't care. The NFL and coaches got all the NFL fans believing bigger is better and thats all fans care about now. Not many starting RB's are above 5'11 which isn't a far cry from 5'9. But if the NFL says thats the way it is the fans will believe it.
Old 06-13-2005   #20
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz
You say everyone is defending him but just this post alone brings up the fact that everyone is defending him is inaccurate. Somebody else said it best, 2 consecutive 1000yd season with out playing the whole season is pretty impressive. As far as his size goes, it isn't everything. It may contribute a little to his injuries but his problem most likely is he is always looking over his shoulder because we are bringing in Morency to replace him, and now let look at Travis Henry who spend quite a few games on the bench before Maghee because he was hurt all the time. If my job is on the line I am not going to wait to be 100% off an injury either. Dom Capers makes no sense with trying to trade for Henry. I look at Bronco fans taking about how they have the greatest RB's in the world and debate all year with each who is better and if they are gonna run "2 stud buffalo's at once" behind Plummer. It never happens. Its always one featured back.

DD is taken for granted by a lot of people on this board and his coaching staff. The first quarter of last season is well over people. Look at the last part of the year what he did for you and what he is capable of. He is a great back and there are alot of teams that would glady take him off your hands.
Capers and Co. have made the low draft pick DD there starting RB over Allen, Mack, Wells, Hollings and Morency. How that is taking DD for granted Im not sure. The fumble problems lasted more than a quarter and so have his injuries. DD fumbles in the first 2 games last year ended up costing the Texans there first trip to the playoffs. DD has yet to play a full season and Houston fans are tired of the "potential" tag. "Put up or shut up" seems to be the theme this year. I for 1 have always liked DD and think he does get undue criticism. Most notably when he was leading our team in receiving and yards after catch but the Texans were losing. Seems if he does well then the Texans are concentrating on him too much and not throwing down field enough. If DD is not getting the touches then the Texans are not utilizing all of there weapons. Suffice to say you can't please everyone. In general I think most Texans fans are happy with DD but yearn to see him live up to his potential. P.S. Im an old fart who remembers when the Steeler fans wanted Bradshaw gone so Im sure you understand.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read