Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is the most important factor in us reaching the SuperBowl?
1) The defense steps it up another level 5 8.20%
2) Kubiak does a better overall job coaching 6 9.84%
3) Matt Schaub steps his game up/Shows up big in crucial moments 21 34.43%
4) The O-line plays better 21 34.43%
5) Arian takes it up a notch 2 3.28%
6) The WR's/TE's get open more 0 0%
7) We get home field throughout 3 4.92%
8) ST's significantly improves 0 0%
9) We have a few lucky bounces 1 1.64%
10) Other 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2012   #21
markn
Veteran

Rep Power: 10182 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
1) The defense steps it up another level

2) Kubiak does a better overall job coaching

3) Matt Schaub steps his game up/Shows up big in crucial moments

4) The O-line plays better

5) Arian takes it up a notch

6) The WR's/TE's get open more

7) We get home field throughout

8) ST's significantly improves

9) We have a few lucky bounces

Either 3 on its own, or all the rest combined.
markn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Texans will go to the Superbowl IF....

I went ahead and chose Schaub for the purposes of this exercise because if you have a QB that is making plays and doing it when you need it most that might be the single most valuable thing for a football team...

But in reality it's going to take a combination of these things. It's not all on Schaub or all on one area.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #23
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Did you see the 49ers & Patriots game? Brady did the same thing to them that he did to us. The only difference is that he did it to us in the first qtr & to them in the 4th.

So it's not the fact that it did happen, it was more important when it happened.
Yes, I watched the game. Brady did the same thing and it resulted in 28 unanswered points and a tie game. The 49ers had a 28 point lead so it didn't cost them the game. If Houston has a 28 point lead I like their chances, but you have to stop Brady in the first half in order to get that type of lead. Brady started out hot to the tune of 21 points in the first three possessions against Houston. The defense can't get exposed that early and that often if they want to win.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #24
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
So then should we take Schaub out of the equation since the O-line's play will factor too much into Schaub's play?
I'm saying what I said. Schaub will benfit greatly with an O line doing it's job. So will Foster.

Most of us say games are won and lost in the trenches for many reasons.

Would it help if Schaub did some improving on his own?? Absolutely.
Old 12-28-2012   #25
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

the Texans will go to the Superbowl if they play up to their talent level.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #26
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I'm saying what I said. Schaub will benfit greatly with an O line doing it's job. So will Foster.

Most of us say games are won and lost in the trenches for many reasons.

Would it help if Schaub did some improving on his own?? Absolutely.
Every aspect of the game will have some sort of effect on other parts of the team. If the defense doesn't show up, the offense will have to keep pace with the other teams offense (which they failed against NE, GB). If the O-line doesn't show up then that equates to no running lanes for the RB's and a lot of pressure on Schaub. If Foster struggles like he did last week against Minnesota then Schaub has to do so much more to win a game for this team.

I'm still waiting for the "All of the above" option.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #27
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I chose OL play because it's probably the most important of the bunch, but not by much. A few of those things have to get better. Every team needs a few lucky bounces, so I could just have easily chosen that one. That's no knock on the Texans; it's just the NFL. The defense needs to play better, particularly at LB and on 3rd downs. The QB needs to play better, though I suspect keeping him clean will accomplish enough of that. The ST really needs to play better and at the very least, stop getting so many penalties.
Old 12-28-2012   #28
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Every aspect of the game will have some sort of effect on other parts of the team. If the defense doesn't show up, the offense will have to keep pace with the other teams offense (which they failed against NE, GB). If the O-line doesn't show up then that equates to no running lanes for the RB's and a lot of pressure on Schaub. If Foster struggles like he did last week against Minnesota then Schaub has to do so much more to win a game for this team.

I'm still waiting for the "All of the above" option.
Lol, yeah.
Old 12-28-2012   #29
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61655 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I picked getting homefield.
Im kinda wondering if getting home field could be a bad thing. Hear me out. There is a high probability for snow the next few weeks in Denver and NE. That should favor the better running team. Would you rather face Manning in an open stadium with snow coming down or in a closed loud stadium with good conditions? Same goes for Brady but he has experience in it. I don't like the fact that we will have 2 weeks off either if we get home field. Not the way we have been playing.

I know it's crazy! Dammit I wish Denver and NE would get eliminated in the first round!!!!!! Seems like time is standing still right now. HURRY UP PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Old 12-28-2012   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub for me. He can and has overcome Oline, Rb and receiver issues before. Team needs to look at the QB to keep them focused and pumped up. He calls the plays and per both him and Kubiak, Matt can audible out. I want to not see a dazed look but a keen "I know where we go next." He has to check down, not force ball & keep the chains moving. Open it up and stop the dinkem passes that get AJ beat up hoping he can turn 2-3 yards into 10. Utilize his RB in passing scheme a bit too.
Old 12-28-2012   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Im kinda wondering if getting home field could be a bad thing.

Not the way we have been playing.
Playing the way we're playing, the only team we would beat, is the Colts. We need to get healthy, we need extra time, extra practice.

If we end up getting soft & stale because of the extra time off, then we're no better off imo... We're not going to get better just because we want to.
Old 12-28-2012   #32
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13798 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

O-Line and running game.

Schaub is not elite and never will be...but you don't need that to go to a superbowl and even win it.

A Elite o-line (which we had last season) and running game can make a average QB look great. Not that Schaub is average, he's better than that.

I don't know...Foster is just not as nasty as he was last season. How many broken tackles does he have this year compared to last? I remember Foster trucking guys and juking them out of their shoes. Now when he does get room and breaks free he's more likely to slip or fall forward before getting hit. This is coming from a big time Foster fan.

I just want to see the same explosive running back that the Texans paid for. I know he dives forward to avoid getting hit and stay healthy...that's cool...but now we need the Foster that is either going to run over you or make you look silly and pick up that extra 20-30 yards.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #33
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

All of the above...no doubt we could use all of those...but if i had 1 to choose it'd be the o-line blocking better...if the block better, it's pretty much a domino effect for the rest of the choices.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #34
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Part of me wants to pick o-line, but great play by the line cannot overcome a bad QB performance. However, a great QB performance can overcome mediocre line play.

No Super Bowl champion has ever made it through the playoffs in spite of lousy performances by their QB. The QB touches the ball on every offensive play, has the ability to change plays at the line, and has the ability to make something happen when things break down.

Schaub has to step up and 'be the man' in the playoffs if the Texans want to have a chance at the Lombardi. So for that reason, I'm picking #3.
Old 12-28-2012   #35
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The huge majority of the votes are directed at either Schaub or the O line. Guess we're pretty in sync as to where the problem lies.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #36
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
All of the above...no doubt we could use all of those...but if i had 1 to choose it'd be the o-line blocking better...if the block better, it's pretty much a domino effect for the rest of the choices.
I'm glad I read all the responses before replying because Mr teX quoted my exact thoughts.

Thanks Mr teX.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #37
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

#10 Other = All of the above.

There's no one factor getting us to the Super Bowl, everyone is going to have to step up bigtime.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #38
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys taking the easy way out

lol....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #39
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans will go to the Superbowl IF they win all of their playoff games.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #40
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Yep. Even if Kubiak makes some silly decisions, if the O line is doing a good job the entire offensive scheme works so much better.

If our offense is clicking, and our defense just plays up to itself, we can hang with any AFC team.
This is the main problem. Other than Watt, our defense has shown to take SEVERAL steps back over the past 6 games.

I think if the defense steps up and starts playing lights out like they once were then that will be the cog in our machine. Key third down stops, sacks, defended passes, QB knockdowns, RB stuffs, and increased 3 and outs then equates to a loud crowd and then the "Big Mo". I truely believe that the defense is the key to our success...(i.e. the arrival of Wade Phillips = two back to back playoff appearances)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read