Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who's better Schaub or A Smith?

mussop

Hall of Fame
Let the games begin. :kingkong:

The case for Smith -

Smith led the 49ers to within a couple of plays from the Super Bowl. Smith threw only five interceptions all season (none in the playoffs) and finished in the top 10 in QB rating 2011.

This season Smith he was third in QB rating, behind Manning and Aaron Rodgers before he got injured and replaced. In his last full game he was 18-of-19 with three TDs setting an NFL record with a 94.7 completion percentage for a quarterback with a minimum of 15 attempts. He was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week for the first time two days later.. Before he was knocked out of the game against St. Louis, he was 7-of-8 with a TD and a passer rating of 143.8. Three of his five interceptions this season came in one game -- against the New York Giants, the defending Super Bowl champs. In fact he is 20-6-1 in the games he's started for Harbaugh.

Here's something interesting for all you STAT lovers. Smith owns a passer rating of 104.1, less than a point behind Aaron Rodgers (104.7) and Robert Griffin III (104.2).

The problem is He's ineligible for the passing rating crown and needs another seven attempts to climb back into the race. Smith also can improve upon his 70 percent completion rate and break Drew Brees' record (71.2) from a season ago if he completes nine of nine passes in the next game.

Not bad for a guy most around here say doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Schaub.

This isn't even a legit question.

And if you don't know the answer to it, then you probably shouldn't even be discussing QB's.

I have no idea when Alex Smith became this pro bowler to some people in here, but he's always been a bottom feeder in this league. They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.

Might as well ask who is better out of Andre Johnson or Kenny Britt?

Why limit to just when he played under harbaugh? Lets talk about What his record was before then? Before last year he never had a qb rating over 90...he's never thrown for more than 20 td's in his career.....and if you've watched him play enough, he's a deer in the headlights more often than not...it says enough about him that harbaugh looked into bringing manning in and then turned around and put him on the bench after he was having such a good game.

Its not just stats dude.

I like Smith and I think it sucks that he got benched. He's not as clutch as say an Aaron Rodgers of Peyton Manning, but he's a little more clutch than Schaub.

If you don't think Schaub's right for this team, that's understandable. But Alex Smith sure ain't any better for this team. Not an upgrade.

I like Smith and I think it sucks that he got benched. He's not as clutch as say an Aaron Rodgers of Peyton Manning, but he's a little more clutch than Schaub.

Smith and clutch aren't even in the same sentence. He got benched because his own HC didn't have any faith in him even over a rookie. Smith has been benched like 4 times in his career by several coaches. Smith has never had one coach in his whole career that ever believed in him, so how in the hell do you even mention his name and clutch in the same sentence?? What because he had one great game against the Saints? No surprise that his HC tried to get Manning in the off season. Even after resigning Smith, he still benched him. Smith isn't even eligible to be more clutch then Schaub or any other perennial starter, because he's never even been a consistent starter or part of a good offense in his entire career.

They're the same guy, just one is a bit better than the other.

Schaub beats him out by a few notches. But not much.

The guy is average, and he has to have the perfect environment for success...just like his head coach. Two peas in a turtle pod.

Hey, we're better than the Jets and a lot of other teams, though. Though it appears we're getting worse as we go along. At this rate, unless the HC and his QB figure some things out...we're going to be 1 and done in the playoffs whether we have HFA or not.

They're the same guy, just one is a bit better than the other.

Schaub beats him out by a few notches. But not much.

The guy is average, and he has to have the perfect environment for success...just like his head coach. Two peas in a turtle pod.

Hey, we're better than the Jets and a lot of other teams, though. Though it appears we're getting worse as we go along. At this rate, unless the HC and his QB figure some things out...we're going to be 1 and done in the playoffs whether we have HFA or not.

The Texans passing game wasn't any good when our running game stunk a few years ago? Did you forget that Schaub led the league in passing yards?? What about the defense being the worst in the league where we constantly had to pass and other teams knew it?? That is not having a perfect environment at all. That is having a lot of things against you is what that is and Schaub did pretty well considering those circumstances.

Alex Smith has never been a good QB in his entire career. They aren't even close.

Why limit to just when he played under harbaugh? Lets talk about What his record was before then? Before last year he never had a qb rating over 90...he's never thrown for more than 20 td's in his career.....and if you've watched him play enough, he's a deer in the headlights more often than not...it says enough about him that harbaugh looked into bringing manning in and then turned around and put him on the bench after he was having such a good game.

Its not just stats dude.

Where to start. hhmmm.. The last two years should be more than enough to show where he is at in his career and what he is capable of. The deer in the headlights comment is more fitting for Schaub in the Minnesota game than Smith's career. And finally Harbaugh did not bench Smith after he was having a good game. Smith was replaced when he left the game with a head injury.

Smith and clutch aren't even in the same sentence. He got benched because his own HC didn't have any faith in him even over a rookie. Smith has been benched like 4 times in his career by several coaches. Smith has never had one coach in his whole career that ever believed in him, so how in the hell do you even mention his name and clutch in the same sentence?? What because he had one great game against the Saints? No surprise that his HC tried to get Manning in the off season. Even after resigning Smith, he still benched him. Smith isn't even eligible to be more clutch then Schaub or any other perennial starter, because he's never even been a consistent starter or part of a good offense in his entire career.

And Scaub is? And never been a consistent starter? 20-6-1 Doesn't show consistency?

Harbaugh, a QB... a QB guy... A QB guru handicapped Alex Smith. The guy he knew. The guy he worked with. The guy he made into a top level QB. Knowing he has an excellent opportunity to get to & win a Superbowl benched Alex Smith.

Kubiak, a QB... a QB guy.. A QB guru has faith in Matt Schaub. If Kubiak has handicapped Schaub in anyway, it is not to the extent that Smith has been. With an excellent opportunity to get to & win a Superbowl Kubiak couldn't wait to get Matt back.

Who's better? Who cares. One isn't trusted with the full playbook. The other is & has numbers thAt rivals the elite QBs

Where to start. hhmmm.. The last two years should be more than enough to show where he is at in his career and what he is capable of. The deer in the headlights comment is more fitting for Schaub in the Minnesota game than Smith's career. And finally Harbaugh did not bench Smith after he was having a good game. Smith was replaced when he left the game with a head injury.

Doesn't matter. Harbaugh decided to go with a guy he knew will make mistakes, possibly cost them a play-off berth. That's a benching if I ever saw one. The guy has little faith I. Smith.

It's funny how all Schaubs supporters want to throw out STATS as evidence of how good he is yet when you show another well criticized QB and their good STATS suddenly STATS become meaningless. Schaub was at one point better than Smith. He isn't anymore. Every since his injury I would say without hesitation that Smith is at worst equal to Schaub.

Smith had one decent season in a largely forgettable career. There's no comparison as to who's better, well, not one that's within reason.

This isn't even a legit question.

And if you don't know the answer to it, then you probably shouldn't even be discussing QB's.

I have no idea when Alex Smith became this pro bowler to some people in here, but he's always been a bottom feeder in this league. They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.

Might as well ask who is better out of Andre Johnson or Kenny Britt?

I agree with this. The trend is moving to more of a mobility threatening type of QB and Schaub and Smith are neither of those. Harbaugh benching Smith in favor of Kaepernick, and the results from that move . . . well, it's a copy-cat league . . . and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Smith/Kubiak see the writing on the wall . . . and go for that type of quarterback, especially if the season goes up in flames.

DUDE-WTF-IS-WRONG-WITH-YOU.jpg

22534119.jpg

what-is-wrong-with-you.jpg

29306618.jpg

28672997.jpg

Lol, You try to downplay stats yet the only reasonable thing you can use to even attempt to put him on schaub's level is a stat....and its not even a stat that he can fully adopt as his own...its a team stat..

you are beyond reasoning and any kind of sound logic.....good day sir:tiphat:

It's funny how all Schaubs supporters want to throw out STATS as evidence of how good he is yet when you show another well criticized QB and their good STATS suddenly STATS become meaningless.

I know you're not talking 'bout me, since stats was a small part of my argument. However, since you posted this comment directly after two of my posts, I feel I must respond.

Actually, I'll just repeat my point from the above mentioned posts.

The man who should have the most faith in Smith ditched him for a guy who had never started an NFL game in his life... & Harbaugh knows QBs.

There is absolutely nothing stopping Kubiak, another guy who knows QBs, from pursuing any QB he'd like. He double downed on Matt Schaub.

If you like Smith, you can make a case for him.
Some of the Niners fans want him back because they don't believe Kaepernick can be all that. He already has a nickname "Krapernicker".

Those who support CK point out that he's still young; that Smith can never carry a team.

So even if you don't like Schaub, you also ought to know that Smith is not an upgrade.

It's all good and well trying to find a solution, but that solution has to make a lot of sense to be considered as viable; otherwise, we will just go round and round with a QB carousel.

schaub is like a eight and smith is A SEVEN not worth it i say find another qb project

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

schaub is like a eight and smith is A SEVEN not worth it i say find another qb project

:mcnugget:

Norg, You've been around a long time and I still can't cipher you....

No matter, a discussion with Alex Smith and Matt Scaub is funny... at BEST!!

Could Alex Smith run Kubiak's offense?? Sure he could!

Could Alex Smith run Kubiak's offense better than Schaub??? Maybe.... Maybe someday.

Could Alex Smith run Kubiak's offense better this season or next??? NO WAY IN HELL!!!

To think otherwise, well, is pretty much the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

:voodoo:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you shorten that a bit??? You know, to shorten the screen wideness, (if you will)

;)

I started this thread to prove a point. First, the Schaub supporters constantly use STATS as proof Schaub is just below elite. If STATS are proof positive then Smith has been a top 5 QB the last couple of years.

Also they want to point to W's and L's as to how good Schaub is. I'm constantly seeing 12 -3 as if that is all they need to prove their point. Well Smith is 20-6-1 in the last 2 years. Does that mean he is elite? That record is right up there with the best of them.

Now that that is settled, what has Schaub done that makes him so good. What has he done the lsat two years that makes him better than A Smith?

I started this thread to prove a point. First, the Schaub supporters constantly use STATS as proof Schaub is just below elite. If STATS are proof positive then Smith has been a top 5 QB the last couple of years.

Also they want to point to W's and L's as to how good Schaub is. I'm constantly seeing 12 -3 as if that is all they need to prove their point. Well Smith is 20-6-1 in the last 2 years. Does that mean he is elite? That record is right up there with the best of them.

Now that that is settled, what has Schaub done that makes him so good. What has he done the lsat two years that makes him better than A Smith?

Not get benched.
xzbitlol.png

I know you're not talking 'bout me, since stats was a small part of my argument. However, since you posted this comment directly after two of my posts, I feel I must respond.

Actually, I'll just repeat my point from the above mentioned posts.

The man who should have the most faith in Smith ditched him for a guy who had never started an NFL game in his life... & Harbaugh knows QBs.

There is absolutely nothing stopping Kubiak, another guy who knows QBs, from pursuing any QB he'd like. He double downed on Matt Schaub.

No Fiddler I was not directing that at you. It was actually put out there because of several posters in another thread all together. Actually a couple of threads.

Could Alex Smith run Kubiak's offense better than Schaub??? Maybe.... Maybe someday.

Could Alex Smith run Kubiak's offense better this season or next??? NO WAY IN HELL!!!

I don't think these guys want to trade Schaub for Alex now. They've already given up on this season & are looking towards next year & beyond.

I think Norg posts drunk ..... drunk like us at the titty bra.

As for this Schaub / Smith debate , I think they are equally limited but Smith has better mobility and a little stronger arm. Schaubs strengths are the mental part of the game and his ball handling (fakes).

If you look at those two offenses and their coaches .... they are pretty much mirror images of one another.

Running game - Defense - Ball Control - Limit mistakes - Play action.

Imagine a QB who could extend plays and make the deep throws with some zip while doing all those little things in this offense and how much Gary could open up the playbook .... 3rd in the league in scoring with a noodle armed statue unde center.

Hell , just take a look at that Rookie QB in DC who leads the #5 offense in the NFL for an example. He's making some rookie mistakes and they are still one of the best offenses in the game.

typed that from my phone .. LOl what i meant was SMith is no better then Schaub so i say NO in bringing in Alex next year

If you like Smith, you can make a case for him.
Some of the Niners fans want him back because they don't believe Kaepernick can be all that. He already has a nickname "Krapernicker".

Those who support CK point out that he's still young; that Smith can never carry a team.

So even if you don't like Schaub, you also ought to know that Smith is not an upgrade.

It's all good and well trying to find a solution, but that solution has to make a lot of sense to be considered as viable; otherwise, we will just go round and round with a QB carousel.

I never suggested we go after Smith. Not this year or next. Just asked a simple question. Who's better Schaub or Smith? I would love to here a reasonable answer from one of the Schaub supporters why. What makes him so much better than Smith. So far not one has been able to do that. Just smart ass attempts at humor or insults as if its a rediculous question.

In other words they can't come up with legit reason why they think Schaub is so much better.

I never suggested we go after Smith. Not this year or next. Just asked a simple question. Who's better Schaub or Smith? I would love to here a reasonable answer from one of the Schaub supporters why. What makes him so much better than Smith. So far not one has been able to do that. Just smart ass attempts at humor or insults as if its a rediculous question.

In other words they can't come up with legit reason why they think Schaub is so much better.

You're so delusional its not even funny...there have been no less than 3-4 reasons in this thread alone....you just refuse to acknowledge.....pathetic really.

The Texans passing game wasn't any good when our running game stunk a few years ago? Did you forget that Schaub led the league in passing yards?? What about the defense being the worst in the league where we constantly had to pass and other teams knew it?? That is not having a perfect environment at all. That is having a lot of things against you is what that is and Schaub did pretty well considering those circumstances.

Alex Smith has never been a good QB in his entire career. They aren't even close.

This right here is the ONLY reason why he led the league in yards. Our run game was terrible so we had no choice but to throw it. This doesn't mean Schaub was great it means he padded stats.

I want an upgrade to Matt Schaub not a replacement for replacements sake. I think Alex Smith could do some things better than Schaub and other things not nearly as good. It would be a wash once all the upheaval was over and that result wouldn't be worth making the change to begin with.

Now, Alex has one thing going for him that I don't see in Schaub and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Smith has bounced from one system to another since he got in the league and come out the other side of it still capable of playing at this level. Matt's been lucky in that for the duration of his career as a starter he's had one coach, one system, and stability like most guys never get to enjoy. I'd love to know what Alex Smith turns out like if he goes to some place like Green Bay where Rogers went and gets that kind of coaching.

I guess what I mean by this last point is that I think Matt is the best he can be. We've seen him develop in a stable system that is tailored to his abilities and avoids his shortcomings. Alex Smith didn't have that and I think he kind of gets the benefit of the doubt right now because in Harbaugh's system he's been really solid. It doesn't make any difference to us here today in 2012 though. It's more speculation and wondering whether Smith would have turned out differently.

I want an upgrade to Matt Schaub not a replacement for replacements sake. I think Alex Smith could do some things better than Schaub and other things not nearly as good. It would be a wash once all the upheaval was over and that result wouldn't be worth making the change to begin with.

Now, Alex has one thing going for him that I don't see in Schaub and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Smith has bounced from one system to another since he got in the league and come out the other side of it still capable of playing at this level. Matt's been lucky in that for the duration of his career as a starter he's had one coach, one system, and stability like most guys never get to enjoy. I'd love to know what Alex Smith turns out like if he goes to some place like Green Bay where Rogers went and gets that kind of coaching.

I guess what I mean by this last point is that I think Matt is the best he can be. We've seen him develop in a stable system that is tailored to his abilities and avoids his shortcomings. Alex Smith didn't have that and I think he kind of gets the benefit of the doubt right now because in Harbaugh's system he's been really solid. It doesn't make any difference to us here today in 2012 though. It's more speculation and wondering whether Smith would have turned out differently.

The bolded is actually a good point in his favor but people need to put things in perspective. He doesn't throw a ton of ints partly b/c coaches...even harbaugh, haven't trusted him to the throw the ball. 3 ints in 445 attempts sounds nice but its still not all that impressive when you consider that there are at least 2 rookie qbs this year who have or will have thrown the ball more times than he did all of last season....& that's excluding Andrew Luck (599 att).......i'm talking guys like Tannehill and Weeden. The average total attempts for the league is probably somewhere around 500-515 attempts. Reagardless of the regime that's been in place, noone trusts him to air it out.

& again, what it comes back to with him is that this guy was still benched by his coach a season after an NFC championship appearance. That imo says more than any stat or any particular fan's feeling are towards him. & if you've watched the 49ers offense since Kap has been at the helm and compare it to how it was last year under Smith, the difference is stark...they are way more explosive with kap..much more so than they've ever been under Smith.

The bolded is actually a good point in his favor but people need to put things in perspective. He doesn't throw a ton of ints partly b/c coaches...even harbaugh, haven't trusted him to the throw the ball. 3 ints in 445 attempts sounds nice but its still not all that impressive when you consider that there are at least 2 rookie qbs this year who have or will have thrown the ball more times than he did all of last season....& that's excluding Andrew Luck (599 att).......i'm talking guys like Tannehill and Weeden. The average total attempts for the league is probably somewhere around 500-515 attempts. Reagardless of the regime that's been in place, noone trusts him to air it out.

Attempts have more to do with the style of offense and whether or not you are ahead or behind a bunch....Unless you're saying half the league trust their QB's more than Schaub.

Matt Schaub is in the bottom half of the league in attempts this year.

In 2010 Rodgers had 475 attempts. Schaub had 100 more. Do you think that had more to do with Green Bay being ahead a bunch or do you think we trusted our QB throwing more than Rodgers?

And btw, last year Schaub threw the ball about 1 whole more times per game than Alex Smith did.

But maybe you're right. Maybe it does have to do with trust. Hell, Kubiak doesn't even trust his QB to throw the ball on third and long and instead opts for the draw almost every time.

You make some good points. Alex Smith's athleticism could add something to our game. But does he have it between the ears, or do you think his athleticism alone will make up for it?

I haven't seen anything from Alex Smith to make me think the net result would be better.

Think about it this way....... Alex Smith is less "talented" than David Carr. David put up good stats in this system, but we weren't going to win anything with David Carr.

Attempts have more to do with the style of offense and whether or not you are ahead or behind a bunch....Unless you're saying half the league trust their QB's more than Schaub.

Matt Schaub is in the bottom half of the league in attempts this year.

A lot of it also has to do with three & outs as well. Getting forced off the field limits snaps, which limits attempts.

Back