Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Does Matt need to sit, even for just the 1st half, of the Colts game?
Yes, I think a small amount of being "sat" can help everyone 9 10.47%
No, he needs the reps and needs to work through it NOW. 60 69.77%
It doesn't matter either way, there are too many other issues going on 17 19.77%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2012   #101
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Does Matty Need to Watch From The Sidelines Sunday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Not entirely correct, IMO.

When backpedaling away from the center, Matt can (in theory) put more weight on his good foot and take a lot of stress off the bad foot. We do it all the time when we're gimpy...we'll favor one foot over the other and make it do more work in order to reduce the stress on the other foot.

I don't think backpedaling away from the center is in the same universe as driving forward and trying to push and move players (in a QB sneak situation).

In a QB sneak movement, you're having to alternate putting extremely high levels of torque on each foot as you drive forward. If he tried to only drive forward with one foot, while not putting stress on the other one, he'd get nowhere (which is why he probably doesn't do it).

The guy was immobile prior to the injury, it's plainly obvious his mobility has been reduced. I have always said, and it looks to be proven more true the past 4 weeks, that Matt Schaub is a great QB if he has time to throw and the coverage is favorable to him. When the coverage is good, when he doesn't have time to stand in one spot in the pocket, he crumbles.

He's been slowly regressing the last half of this season. We're down to ONE game to win HFA, and he's shown me no reason why he's going to snap out of his funk in THIS game. If anything, I think he's going to reach new lows in this upcoming game.

I think he'll end up getting pulled by Kubiak...partly because he'll have been struggling early on AND partly because Kubiak will be able to reason that he needs to save Schaub for the playoffs.

The guy is reaching Kris Brown syndrome levels, IMO. Unreliable in even the smallest of tasks. Even the easy throws are "off." His teammates look extremely dejected and play accordingly, btw. It's become a noose around this team's neck.
This whole post is....where do i begin.

Schaub's lis-franc injury happened to his right foot....which is not the foot he would use to push off from under center as a right-handed qb on a normal pass play. If a right handed qb tried to use his right foot to explode from under center it would make it very difficult...if not impossible to open up correctly with any kind of fluidity on their drops. it's like a lay-up.. If you'r going for a right-sided lay-up, you use you left foot & vice versa for a left-sided lay-up. So no, he couldn't use his other foot to explode from under center.

He'd need the explosion and torque from under center i spoke of in my initial post to gain/maintain the momentum from the initial burst from under center..this would be difficult for him....if what cloak is saying is true. Me personally i don't see much of a difference in his drops or mobility....he's slow & he's always been slow.

Your theory would actually work better with qb sneaks b/c qb's most times aren't looking to get 5 yd gains off of them. They're just looking for a few inches or so between the center & 1 of the guards to fall into so they can get down as fast as possible..there's hardly much explosion, driving torque,whatever, needed b/c they're already leaning forward when they're under center. In addition to this, most qb's stagger their feet when they're under center to help them get from under center better & if you're only looking for a few inches to a yard, that's basically a fall forward with the right avenue.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #102
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
What if his foot is the problem, as has been suggested in other threads?

What if he sits this week, allows his foot to heal. Then we have the bye next week.

Since last Sunday, that would be three weeks he'll have to "get healthy"

Of course we'd have to beat the Colts with Tj Yates, or hope the Broncos lose to the Chiefs.

However, with three weeks of rest, what if we can have a Matt Schaub that is closer to that guy that beat the Broncos earlier this season? What if he would be able to play at that level for 2 weeks. Then the extra time off before the Super Bowl allows him to recoup again?

What if sitting Matt Schaub helps us get the most ready to play Matt Schaub for the Play Offs & the Super Bowl?
There is no official word or indication that Matt's foot is a big problem.

You can not rest him for three weeks if you do not EARN a bye week by beating the Colts.

We have to beat the Colts to put ourselves in the best position to be successful in the post season. HFA is huge for this team, probably moreso than any other team other than the Seahawks right now.

This idea of sitting Schaub unless we're winning by a good margin is just silliness. This is the game that has the most pressure this season; this is a statement game for this team. This is for HFA. This is no time for getting cute and dicking around with who sits or starts, regardless of niggling injuries or perceived weaknesses at the QB position.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #103
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
This idea of sitting Schaub unless we're winning by a good margin is just silliness. This is the game that has the most pressure this season; this is a statement game for this team. This is for HFA. This is no time for getting cute and dicking around with who sits or starts, regardless of niggling injuries or perceived weaknesses at the QB position.
Hey, I'm just trying to support my good buddy GP..... don't want him to be the only one with his hand up.
Old 12-28-2012   #104
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Hey, I'm just trying to support my good buddy GP..... don't want him to be the only one with his hand up.
Sometimes the best way to help a buddy is to steer him away from an errant path... even though I know his heart is in the right place. GP was just trying to find SOMETHING to turn around this streak of sucky play. He thinks sitting Schaub will do it. I'm for making Schaub fight his way out of this funk. Can't do that from the bench.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #105
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Just heard an interview of Texans QB coach Karl Dorrell. When asked about Yates, he had very noticeably luke warm responses. Then when asked about Case Keenum's progress........he just lavished it on. Paraphrased to the best of my recollection:

He has shown great grasp of the position since he came here. He previously had little experience under center. He now looks extremely comfortable under center in a short period of time. He has a remarkably strong arm, certainly strong enough for the long ball. We have elevated the takeoff of his passes, which in the NFL is very important, especially with his height.....and he has adapted to it to very well. I can hardly wait to work with him during the offseason in an even more concentrated fashion.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #106
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Just heard an interview of Texans QB coach Karl Dorrell. When asked about Yates, he had very noticeably luke warm responses. Then when asked about Case Keenum's progress........he just lavished it on. Paraphrased to the best of my recollection:

He has shown great grasp of the position since he came here. He previously had little experience under center. He now looks extremely comfortable under center in a short period of time. He has a remarkably strong arm, certainly strong enough for the long ball. We have elevated the takeoff of his passes, which in the NFL is very important, especially with his height.....and he has adapted to it to very well. I can hardly wait to work with him during the offseason in an even more concentrated fashion.
Good to hear.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #107
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I would just LOVE it if Case Keenum turned out to be the real deal. Hopefully we don't have a reason to find that out until next season though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012   #108
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be awesome if Keenum is indeed that far along and we could try to trade Yates for a decent pick.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012   #109
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

There have other times when I've stepped out and said ABC and everyone laughed at me and told me XYZ.

Then ABC happens...

So I'm not discouraged by the poll nor the responses.

I don't form and state opinions to see how much applause I can receive, I'm calling it how I see it...and I'm saying that Schaub is not fighting his way out of a wet paper sack. Not sure if he can tomorrow either.

It's all good. There's been a lot of unnecessary name calling against me, which IMO exposes those posters' lack of character. For those who kept it classy, Thank You.
Old 12-29-2012   #110
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There have other times when I've stepped out and said ABC and everyone laughed at me and told me XYZ.

Then ABC happens...

I don't form and state opinions to see how much applause I can receive, I'm calling it how I see it...and I'm saying that Schaub is not fighting his way out of a wet paper sack. Not sure if he can tomorrow either.

It's all good. There's been a lot of unnecessary name calling against me, which IMO exposes those posters' lack of character. For those who kept it classy, Thank You.
Like I said, I recognize Schaub's play has fallen off in recent weeks and something needs to turn that around. What that "something" might be is where we disagree.
It's all good.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #111
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Then ABC happens...

Thanks, prick-hole.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #112
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm the maddest I have been since the end of the 2010 season.

I've gone 2 years without totally breaking down and just being seething angry over anything that the Texans have done.

To watch this team accomplish win after win, over and over, all season long...to then see two guys--Kubiak and Schaub--basically ruin it for the other players and coaches.

What do you do when the team's ultimate "leaders," the HC and the QB merge into ONE person and melt down into a pile of piss-covered snow right before your eyes...progressively...for the last half of the season???

I don't know if Matt should have been benched. I think it would not have hurt anything for him to be sat for at least the first half, though. The game might have taken on a whole different complexion, though, had Yates been in there. At worst, it would 14-0 at half. And that's taking into consideration that we're predicting Yates couldn't lead us into FG range even one time in the first half.

But do you think so? Is it really far-fetched to think Yates would be worse than Schaub was today? I dunno. I've sensed that the HC and the QB were completely out of sync and ruining this team. It's now happened.

I'm so mad. And none of the media will take Kubiak to task. He's insulated. Nobody will disturb the Great and Powerful Oz. Just don't look him in the eyes, just ask him the easy questions. Let him say "It's on me." And move on.
Old 12-30-2012   #113
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Im not even mad anymore they've been looking like this since the lions game...i've slowly been removing my feelings away from this team knowing that they're more than likely 1 and done...that way it wont hurt so bad if they do lose the first game.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #114
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be perfectly fine with Yates starting the first play off game. Won't happen. Schaub can still do some good things, but it's clear he has big time limitations from an ability standpoint.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #115
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

So hindsight being 20/20, should Schaub have watched from the sidelines?

THAT should be the new poll LOL.
Old 12-30-2012   #116
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
So hindsight being 20/20, should Schaub have watched from the sidelines?

THAT should be the new poll LOL.
He shoulda watched from his couch .... along with his OL.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read