Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Does Matt need to sit, even for just the 1st half, of the Colts game?
Yes, I think a small amount of being "sat" can help everyone 9 10.47%
No, he needs the reps and needs to work through it NOW. 60 69.77%
It doesn't matter either way, there are too many other issues going on 17 19.77%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2012   #81
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Does Matty Need to Watch From The Sidelines Sunday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
We have been doing much more straight up blocking. I have been mentioning this for a while. When the OL comes of just shallow of perpendicular to the line they wash people wide quickly and Foster finds a cut back. They have been doing more power blocking and when they do zone blocking they come off more in a 45 degree mix - it is kind of power and kind of zone. It doesn't get the flow going the same way. This is affecting the play action as well because the defenders aren't biting near as hard when we come of in this fashion. No idea why we are doing it but those are my thoughts.
Alright Crhis, not all of us went to Berkley.......... At the end of the day I can not only explain a chop block, I can demostrate it.

Any takers?? (And believe me, a true "chop block") originates well above the knee******* "IT" actually originates in the chest... Jamb 'em up...If they start to beat you... Slide down and impede their (the enemy) force on my QB...
Old 12-28-2012   #82
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well there is a landslide if there ever has been one - and a lot of people abstained from voting because it was so stupid. Even Schaub haters thought this was a bad idea. Epic fail.

Those are the biggest CAMEL TOES i have ever seen!
Old 12-28-2012   #83
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 214142 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We have been doing much more straight up blocking. I have been mentioning this for a while. When the OL comes of just shallow of perpendicular to the line they wash people wide quickly and Foster finds a cut back. They have been doing more power blocking and when they do zone blocking they come off more in a 45 degree mix - it is kind of power and kind of zone. It doesn't get the flow going the same way. This is affecting the play action as well because the defenders aren't biting near as hard when we come of in this fashion. No idea why we are doing it but those are my thoughts.
Its not a change in design or blocking scheme .... its that they are flat out beat. Gary said as much himself in a recent address to the media.

Read into that what you will ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #84
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 214142 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Those are the biggest CAMEL TOES i have ever seen!
That aint no camel toe ..... thats a drooping split belly .... nasty.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 12-28-2012   #85
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
It's psychological- he's never played in the playoffs and fears that would happen 2 yrs in a row. That's why you see NO qb sneaks. I have no doubt that he will pick it up in the last game and play inspired in the post season.
We havent seen a QB sneak all season .... fear of injury is is an excuse , the real reason is that Schaub simply cannot create the necessary leverage with the foot to explode forward.

I wish it were psychological .... cause that can be fixed , that gimp foot cant.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 12-28-2012   #86
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Its not a change in design or blocking scheme .... its that they are flat out beat. Gary said as much himself in a recent address to the media.

Read into that what you will ....
I would like to hear what you have to link or say on this. The line has been attacking the opposing DL at a much different angle and it doesn't seem to work well.
Old 12-28-2012   #87
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I would like to hear what you have to link or say on this. The line has been attacking the opposing DL at a much different angle and it doesn't seem to work well.
We're use to seeing these OLmen seal defenders off from the play or turn defenders into the wash and get to the second level in effect walling off a lane. They arent able to turn defenders into those secondary blocks and get to the second level because they are not moving the defenders laterally - they are giving ground - Most notably Wade Smith and Ben Jones.

The scheme just doesnt look right when they are giving ground and they have to abandon the technique in an attempt to "power" their way into position .... which is where you got the illusion of a power scheme.

Hope that makes sense and cleared up whats going on .... :

I Miss Good Schaub.
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2012   #88
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
If Schaub ends up blowing this game...I'll be here to bring this poll up again.

If Schaub dominates, I'll be here to eat crow in public.

I have a bad feeling a lot of you are going to be unprepared for what happens this Sunday. Most of you pegged the Vikings game as a Texans win, very few thought we could lose that game.
I predicted a loss against the Vikings. Not because of Schaub, but because of how Kubiak teams tend to play. Matt Schuab not doing well was not something I'd have predicted, but I'm not going to say I was OMG shocked.

No need for any crow eating on anyone's part regardless of outcome. I think it's just a difference of philosophies. I don't believe we can gain anything by having Matt sit. Playing him gives us our best chance to win this game and he needs to find a rhythm before the play-offs start. I don't think it'd be wise for him to be benched and the last taste left in his mouth going into the play-offs are a couple mediocre/poor games and then a benching....

This needs to be his get well game or at least a game where he doesn't suck. The O-line needs to get their shyt together with Matt in there. Receivers need to be in there with Matt.

I don't see what Matt can gain by sitting out this game. He sat out a good chunk of last year. If he didn't relfect and mentally become a better QB at that time (or any of the other numerous games he's missed) then sitting out this 1 game that we need to win certainly won't help....IMO
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #89
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We're use to seeing these OLmen seal defenders off from the play or turn defenders into the wash and get to the second level in effect walling off a lane. They arent able to turn defenders into those secondary blocks and get to the second level because they are not moving the defenders laterally - they are giving ground - Most notably Wade Smith and Ben Jones.

The scheme just doesnt look right when they are giving ground and they have to abandon the technique in an attempt to "power" their way into position .... which is where you got the illusion of a power scheme.

Hope that makes sense and cleared up whats going on .... :

The hardest defense to block for a ZBS is a good aggressive, get up field front. Read and react defenses are easier to block because they aren't trying to get up field really and will move laterally down the line.

When you take your initial step, if that defender is coming up field, you have to hurry and get that second foot back in the ground which shortens your angle because now instead of moving laterally you have to fight that defender from getting penetration. Add to the fact that you don't have guys that are good at power blocking and it gets ugly really fast.

Maybe we've either been playing a lot of penetrating defenses, or opposing coaches have gone to that style against us to disrupt our run game. This scheme struggles tremendously with penetration whereas a more downhill scheme can get away with having guys come through sometimes.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #90
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think Schaub's problem might be the same as Arian's, he got paid. It's funny what tens of millions can do to people.
I agree.

They're not lazy. They're not arrogant. But when you get a new deal, I think psychologically you know you've just completed the "hunt." You won. Reached the top.

Then you switch into preservation mode even if you're not aware of it.

Human nature, people.
Old 12-28-2012   #91
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We havent seen a QB sneak all season .... fear of injury is is an excuse , the real reason is that Schaub simply cannot create the necessary leverage with the foot to explode forward.

I wish it were psychological .... cause that can be fixed , that gimp foot cant.
This makes zero sense. you need just as much if not more explosion to get out from under center when taking the snap.....with Schaub, he probably needs even more than normal b/c he's squatting so low to recieve the snap...like he's damn near sitting down under center....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #92
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 273403 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP
If Schaub ends up blowing this game...I'll be here to bring this poll up again.

If Schaub dominates, I'll be here to eat crow in public.

I have a bad feeling a lot of you are going to be unprepared for what happens this Sunday. Most of you pegged the Vikings game as a Texans win, very few thought we could lose that game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I predicted a loss against the Vikings. Not because of Schaub, but because of how Kubiak teams tend to play. Matt Schuab not doing well was not something I'd have predicted, but I'm not going to say I was OMG shocked.

No need for any crow eating on anyone's part regardless of outcome. I think it's just a difference of philosophies. I don't believe we can gain anything by having Matt sit. Playing him gives us our best chance to win this game and he needs to find a rhythm before the play-offs start. I don't think it'd be wise for him to be benched and the last taste left in his mouth going into the play-offs are a couple mediocre/poor games and then a benching....

This needs to be his get well game or at least a game where he doesn't suck. The O-line needs to get their shyt together with Matt in there. Receivers need to be in there with Matt.

I don't see what Matt can gain by sitting out this game. He sat out a good chunk of last year. If he didn't reflect and mentally become a better QB at that time (or any of the other numerous games he's missed) then sitting out this 1 game that we need to win certainly won't help....IMO
My thoughts exactly, Rey. This ain't about whether making Schaub "stand in the corner" is the right move/punishment/motivation or whatever. Everyone, coaches on down, all three phases, needs to sharpen up their game. It's time to step-the-hell UP.

Kubiak knows this. I hope the team is listening.
Quote:
(on the importance of momentum and taking it to the next level in the playoffs) ďItís huge. I think in this league with where this franchise started and what it was trying to become and where it was trying to work to get to, they worked extremely hard. Itís in a good place right now from that standpoint, but once you get there, there is another level. There is another level that you play the game at. There is another level of expectations. There is another level of responsibility. Thatís why you see a lot of the same people in the playoffs all the time. Thatís why you look year in and year out and you see a lot of the same quarterbacks, a lot of the same players, a lot of the teams, a lot of the same organizations because they find ways to raise that level. To me thatís the next step for this organization so weíre pushing hard to be a part of that and prove that we can play at that level when the time comes.Ē
Yeah... he knows. But he and Wade can preach that message until they're blue in the face. The players have got to go thru it to really GET it. Hopefully, that happened last year when the Ravens bumped them out of the playoffs.

We'll see.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #93
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
This makes zero sense. you need just as much if not more explosion to get out from under center when taking the snap.....with Schaub, he probably needs even more than normal b/c he's squatting so low to recieve the snap...like he's damn near sitting down under center....
Not entirely correct, IMO.

When backpedaling away from the center, Matt can (in theory) put more weight on his good foot and take a lot of stress off the bad foot. We do it all the time when we're gimpy...we'll favor one foot over the other and make it do more work in order to reduce the stress on the other foot.

I don't think backpedaling away from the center is in the same universe as driving forward and trying to push and move players (in a QB sneak situation).

In a QB sneak movement, you're having to alternate putting extremely high levels of torque on each foot as you drive forward. If he tried to only drive forward with one foot, while not putting stress on the other one, he'd get nowhere (which is why he probably doesn't do it).

The guy was immobile prior to the injury, it's plainly obvious his mobility has been reduced. I have always said, and it looks to be proven more true the past 4 weeks, that Matt Schaub is a great QB if he has time to throw and the coverage is favorable to him. When the coverage is good, when he doesn't have time to stand in one spot in the pocket, he crumbles.

He's been slowly regressing the last half of this season. We're down to ONE game to win HFA, and he's shown me no reason why he's going to snap out of his funk in THIS game. If anything, I think he's going to reach new lows in this upcoming game.

I think he'll end up getting pulled by Kubiak...partly because he'll have been struggling early on AND partly because Kubiak will be able to reason that he needs to save Schaub for the playoffs.

The guy is reaching Kris Brown syndrome levels, IMO. Unreliable in even the smallest of tasks. Even the easy throws are "off." His teammates look extremely dejected and play accordingly, btw. It's become a noose around this team's neck.
Old 12-28-2012   #94
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

So many silly threads right now, I keep wanting to say "silliest thread ever" but oops, up pops another one...
Old 12-28-2012   #95
coltfan123
Veteran

Rep Power: 2845 coltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well there is a landslide if there ever has been one - and a lot of people abstained from voting because it was so stupid. Even Schaub haters thought this was a bad idea. Epic fail.

puked in my mouth a little lol
coltfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #96
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 273403 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not entirely correct, IMO.

When backpedaling away from the center, Matt can (in theory) put more weight on his good foot and take a lot of stress off the bad foot. We do it all the time when we're gimpy...we'll favor one foot over the other and make it do more work in order to reduce the stress on the other foot.

I don't think backpedaling away from the center is in the same universe as driving forward and trying to push and move players (in a QB sneak situation).

In a QB sneak movement, you're having to alternate putting extremely high levels of torque on each foot as you drive forward. If he tried to only drive forward with one foot, while not putting stress on the other one, he'd get nowhere (which is why he probably doesn't do it).

The guy was immobile prior to the injury, it's plainly obvious his mobility has been reduced. I have always said, and it looks to be proven more true the past 4 weeks, that Matt Schaub is a great QB if he has time to throw and the coverage is favorable to him. When the coverage is good, when he doesn't have time to stand in one spot in the pocket, he crumbles.
You should have stopped typing HERE. Your theories are based on sound logic and fairly accurate observation.

Quote:
He's been slowly regressing the last half of this season. We're down to ONE game to win HFA, and he's shown me no reason why he's going to snap out of his funk in THIS game. If anything, I think he's going to reach new lows in this upcoming game.

I think he'll end up getting pulled by Kubiak...partly because he'll have been struggling early on AND partly because Kubiak will be able to reason that he needs to save Schaub for the playoffs.

The guy is reaching Kris Brown syndrome levels, IMO. Unreliable in even the smallest of tasks. Even the easy throws are "off." His teammates look extremely dejected and play accordingly, btw. It's become a noose around this team's neck.
In these last three paragraphs you're projecting your own inner fears onto the whole team. You're scared Schaub will screw the pooch.

This is time of year to really get worried that all the other teams see the same warts we fans do and will use them against us.

We get it.

The only thing that semi eases my mind is, the other teams have warts too.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #97
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
You're scared Schaub will screw the pooch.
We get it.
Depending on whose pooch he screws, he could be in really big trouble.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #98
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I happen to think dude has been worried about the DE he's playing. Freeney always used to sack him and cause a fumble, and that dude from Minn. once took out his knee.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #99
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes - lets sit our probowl Quarterback in the most important regular season game we have ever played.
Old 12-28-2012   #100
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Yes - lets sit our probowl Quarterback in the most important regular season game we have ever played.
What if his foot is the problem, as has been suggested in other threads?

What if he sits this week, allows his foot to heal. Then we have the bye next week.

Since last Sunday, that would be three weeks he'll have to "get healthy"

Of course we'd have to beat the Colts with Tj Yates, or hope the Broncos lose to the Chiefs.

However, with three weeks of rest, what if we can have a Matt Schaub that is closer to that guy that beat the Broncos earlier this season? What if he would be able to play at that level for 2 weeks. Then the extra time off before the Super Bowl allows him to recoup again?

What if sitting Matt Schaub helps us get the most ready to play Matt Schaub for the Play Offs & the Super Bowl?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read