Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Does Matt need to sit, even for just the 1st half, of the Colts game?
Yes, I think a small amount of being "sat" can help everyone 9 10.47%
No, he needs the reps and needs to work through it NOW. 60 69.77%
It doesn't matter either way, there are too many other issues going on 17 19.77%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2012   #41
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Does Matty Need to Watch From The Sidelines Sunday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Point being we can and have won with 40 attempts with Schaub against two non-playoff teams in OT
Fixed it.

If we face teams like the Jags and the Lions in the play-offs I'll feel a little better about us winning with Schaub thrwoing it 40+ times.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #42
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Fixed it.

If we face teams like the Jags and the Lions in the play-offs I'll feel a little better about us winning with Schaub thrwoing it 40+ times.

As was your first post that started this, it is simply your opinion
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #43
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As was your first post that started this, it is simply your opinion
Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 12-26-2012   #44
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out.

No problem its seemed as though you might have confused fact/opinion here

Quote:
We are not winning anything by having Matt Schaub throw 40 times/gm
Old 12-26-2012   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We are not winning anything by having Matt Schaub throw 40 times/gm.
Yeah, it sucks we are ione of 29 teams whose QBs don't throw 40 times a game and not one of the 3 whose do - none of which will be in the playoffs this season.
Old 12-26-2012   #46
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 76308 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Usually in OT both teams have a chance to win as typically in OT the score is pretty close from the get go. Also I think FG gave the other team a chance to win not just Schaub. Point being we can and have won with 40 attempts with Schaub. Use whatever other monday morning view you want and the fact remains we won both games with Schaub throwing 40+ times something you said we simply cant do.
So youre big example of Schaub throwing a bunch and winning is vs the 9th WORSE pass defense in Jacksonville, and an average Lions defense? Throw in we had 150-200 YARDS RUSHING those days and you have exactly what we've been saying, when the run game excels Matt is ADEQUATE, when it doesn't, Matt is garbage (Packers, Patriots, Vikings)
Old 12-26-2012   #47
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah, it sucks we are ione of 29 teams whose QBs don't throw 40 times a game and not one of the 3 whose do - none of which will be in the playoffs this season.
That would seem to back up my statement. Thanks.

BTW, pay attention. I haven't once advocated having any QB throwing the ball a bunch.
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2012   #48
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No problem its seemed as though you might have confused fact/opinion here
Quote:
"We're not running the ball well," Kubiak said. "That was pretty obvious from early in the game. We got into more of a quick count mode, had to get rid of the ball quick because of their pressure. That's the way we had to move the ball the other night. If we run the ball, we'll have our chances to go down the field but it starts with us running it."
http://www.sbnation.com/fantasy/2012...ootball-texans

All these it's ok if Matt throws the ball a bunch posts are a crock of ****. That's not what we do when we are playing our best football.
Old 12-26-2012   #49
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
So youre big example of Schaub throwing a bunch and winning is vs the 9th WORSE pass defense in Jacksonville, and an average Lions defense? Throw in we had 150-200 YARDS RUSHING those days and you have exactly what we've been saying, when the run game excels Matt is ADEQUATE, when it doesn't, Matt is garbage (Packers, Patriots, Vikings)

Matt did post a 78.8% completion rate, even against a poor team thats pretty damn good. I think I address the running game and impact it has on our team
Old 12-26-2012   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Recently we are rotating 3 rookies (Brooks, Jones and Newton {only 17 snaps 2011} and supporting them with Harris a street free agent pick up. Not important whether we argue Briesel/Winston better, they are gone. The first three will be real good in '13.
Schaub, I would prefer someone else but there is no one better. Doesn't matter if Mannings/Rogers/Brady/Big Ben/etc are better, we cannot get them. I thought Matt would be gone in FA and was glad to see him agree to the contract he did. As I am not convinced Yates is the heir apparent nor do I know how Keenum will do, imo we should look for a future replacement for Matt. Kolb? Maybe and I was a fan in college but I say no. Draft? Not this year too much "ceiling" and not enough floor" imo. So lock in on other needs in draft 2013. Hope someone pops up like Geno Smith did but is low enough to go get in 2014. Regardless of how we finish it has been a good ride just frustrating. Barring injuries we should be stronger and deeper next season.
Old 12-26-2012   #51
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
http://www.sbnation.com/fantasy/2012...ootball-texans

All these it's ok if Matt throws the ball a bunch posts are a crock of ****. That's not what we do when we are playing our best football.

Where are all these post saying "if matt throws a bunch we are okay" ? You said we couldnt win if he throws 40 or more times and that simply isnt true. However more to your point I already said if he does throw that many times is either because the running game isnt working or we have fallen behind. Im not sure how you have become so confused. Its not a game plan to throw 40+ times and its not impossible to win if it happens either
Old 12-26-2012   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Where are all these post saying "if matt throws a bunch we are okay" ? You said we couldnt win if he throws 40 or more times....
I'm talking about play-off games and superbowls and you bring up two OT games against non-play off teams and one team fighting for the number 1 overall pick.

If you think this team can be successful with Matt throwing 40+ times, then you are wrong.

Oh yeah...IMO...
Old 12-26-2012   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Sounds to me like you have a gripe with the playcalling. It's not an issue of how often we throw for you, but when we throw...You want us to throw it more early...

I can get behind that...

Kubiak has done that a bit this year though...Come out throwing the ball a bunch. You are right, we look like a better team when that happens.
I only think we need to come out throwing this game, because Matt's been struggling for a while...... except that first drive.

But I don't know if we should always do that. I was most disappointed in the Vikings game, because it never happened. The game manager never said, "We've got to step up the pace here."

I've said it before, 21-0 doesn't bother me if we've got the majority of 3 qtrs to play, unless we're playing an '85 Bears type defense. But once we get to the third qtr or so..... & you only have 6 points on the board that since of urgency should kick in.
Old 12-26-2012   #54
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm talking about play-off games and superbowls and you bring up two OT games against non-play off teams and one team fighting for the number 1 overall pick.

If you think this team can be successful with Matt throwing 40+ times, then you are wrong.

Oh yeah...IMO...

The team can win with Schaub throwing 40+ even in a playoff game. Schaub and 40+ attempts doesnt equal an automatic loss
Old 12-26-2012   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The team can win with Schaub throwing 40+ even in a playoff game. Schaub and 40+ attempts doesnt equal an automatic loss
It depends on who we're playing. If we're playing the mistake prone Andrew Luck, I like our odds. If we're playing the cold-blooded Tom Brady...... not so much.
Old 12-26-2012   #56
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
It depends on who we're playing. If we're playing the mistake prone Andrew Luck, I like our odds. If we're playing the cold-blooded Tom Brady...... not so much.

I like to think back to our New Orleans game last year Schaub threw 39 passes one of which was an int toward the end of the game but our D gave up 3 tds to the saints on their last 3 drives to total 4 tds in the second half. Who lost the game? The Schaub haters will say it was him and I will say it sits on both the D and Schaub. Schaub didnt decide to throw 39 times but the game just went that way
Old 12-26-2012   #57
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Where's the option for "Schaub is the best QB on this roster and gives the Texans the best chance to win."

Id love to upgrade Schaub .... but the reality right now is he's the best we got.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #58
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread is like the moron yelling at Schaub when we ran the ball on 2nd and 12 last week.

Schaub not playing well is still a lot better option than Mr Turnover Yates.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Where's the option for "Schaub is the best QB on this roster and gives the Texans the best chance to win."

Id love to upgrade Schaub .... but the reality right now is he's the best we got.
I think GP's got a valid option. What if Schaub's thing is mental & a benching is just what he needs to get his head out of his colon?

I don't know if that is the problem but it is feasible.

We may lose this next game, but if Schaub catches fire again, we're better off for it in the long run.
Old 12-26-2012   #60
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I think GP's got a valid option. What if Schaub's thing is mental & a benching is just what he needs to get his head out of his colon?

I don't know if that is the problem but it is feasible.

We may lose this next game, but if Schaub catches fire again, we're better off for it in the long run.
I was talking to C&D a while ago and we were talking specifically about Schaub .... I think he's been spot on with his assessment of Schaub post injury - He aint the same guy.

The longer the game and the season go along , the worse he gets. That foot injury limited the mobility of an already limited mobility guy.

I was thinking he might have an upper body injury but after discussing it with Doc .... Its pretty obvious that the foot injury is the root of his problems.

When's the last time you saw Schaub throw a jump pass or a QB sneak ? When is the last time you saw him change direction quickly ? All of his movements are subtle and planned. He simply cant get the leverage to quickly change direction with that foot he could pre-injury.

Every fear Doc had about the injury post recovery looks proven to me. Loss of explosion , unable to change direction .... He just cant plant that foot anymore and its affected the whole of his game.

That doesnt mean I'd bench Schaub because this is the "biggest game in the history of this franchise" and Schaub gives the Texans the best chance to win.

I applaud what Yates did last year .... but Schaub , despite his limitations is a better QB right now and make no mistake about it , this is a must win.The difference between needing two wins to reach the superbowl or needing three .... the difference between playing at home or traveling to NE or Denver for an AFC championship game.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read