Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Does Matt need to sit, even for just the 1st half, of the Colts game?
Yes, I think a small amount of being "sat" can help everyone 9 10.47%
No, he needs the reps and needs to work through it NOW. 60 69.77%
It doesn't matter either way, there are too many other issues going on 17 19.77%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2012   #21
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Does Matty Need to Watch From The Sidelines Sunday?

Not a chance. This is an important game. If HFA was locked up, then I would want Yates to start because I would want him to get reps just in case. But HFA is on the line, so you play the best QB on the roster. Schaub may not be the best QB in the NFL, but he's the best one on the roster.

Now, if they come out and jump up 28-3 at the half, then Yates in the second half might be good.
Old 12-25-2012   #22
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Not one of your better ideas, GP. I understand the sentiment, but I don't think you thought this one out, fully.

We're in the last game of the season, playing for HFA. Ya dance with the one who brung ya. Hopefully, we win get our 1st win, ever, in Indy. This is the time to do it. They look to be tough for the next 15 years, or so.
Old 12-26-2012   #23
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I"m not a big fan of Schaub as a starting QB at this point, but it is what it is. He's the starter..Kubiak is the coach.

I don't want either one of them relieved of their duties at this point in the year. They need to figure this **** out for the play-offs.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #24
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I want the Texans to go in another direction and am not a fan of Matt Schaub. Doesn't matter though because I don't want change for change's sake and insofar as the 2012 season is concerned we live or die with Matt Schaub. Yates isn't going to pull a Colin Kaepernick on us and come out and win games. He's not that good. He's more mobile (That's a +), less experienced (BIG -) version of the guy he'd be replacing.

Nope. We need to start looking for a QB...... after the season is over. Not right now.

That's how I see it at least.
Old 12-26-2012   #25
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point you gotta ride Matt to the end.
Old 12-26-2012   #26
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

You don't sit your QB when you have Homefield Advantage throughout on the line.
Old 12-26-2012   #27
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Stuff....funny picture.....more stuff......

Schaub is not the QB we want...very few teams have the QB they want, but he's the QB we have and can be successful if other aspects of the game are working well. The basic fundamentals of the game call for a good OL with the ability to establish the run in order to open up the passing game. If that's working, QBs have an easier job, and Schaub is one of those guys who HAS to be comfortable and get in his rhythm to be effective. Do I like this limitation of us and the way he stiffens up and forces things when the OL/RBs aren't effective early? Hell no. We've seen that if we start off slow and we have issues getting a rush going, we will likely lose if going against a team that can score. We can't play from behind if we haven't put up over 20 points already.

But that unfortunate situation has happened only 3 times so far this season, with a few wins that presented a challenge due to our D falling down a bit. So to change things with the very last game meaning so much to our team, you go with your best chance of winning, and in 13 instances we won with Schaub and only lost 3 times. You make the smart play. Like, for instance, if you're on the goal line, you should PROBABLY run the damn ball to get the TD. Unless you're Kubiak. But I digress.

You don't set yourself on fire, run around like a chicken with your head cut off and burn everything to the ground in the face of adversity. Damn. Half the league would love to have Schaub as their QB. That doesn't make him great or elite, but that means we're heading to the playoffs once again. If Schaub starts stumbling next year, then there might be a time to see Yates to mix things up. I'm far more concerned with our line play on both sides of the ball.

Took me to that place....

Because he's the QB Houston deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hate him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a watchful guardian. A slow-footed protector. A Dork Knight.
Old 12-26-2012   #28
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Because he's the QB Houston deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hate him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's an watchful guardian. A slow-footed protector. A Dork Knight.
Lmao
Old 12-26-2012   #29
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Matt gets the start but if he stinks it up like he has the last few games in the first quarter we go with Yates in the second. Home field advantage is a big deal.

I dont care how Matt is playing if you put yates in your chance drop to nearly 0
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #30
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Because he's the QB Houston deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hate him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a watchful guardian. A slow-footed protector. A Dork Knight.
ha.. eventhough im not as down on schaub as others, thats pretty funny! at least something good came from this thread

like others, i just voted no since there wasnt any 'this is a retarded idea' option
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
All I know is he played like a scared little school girl in that last game. If at the first sign of pressure he fetals up against Indy his ass needs to be pulled. Kubiak needs to get in his ear and ask him how bad he wants to win. You can say what you want about the blocking up front in the Minnesota game, Schaub packed it in. He played like a .
Eh... sort of. I agree his play left a lot to be desired, but I think the thing to fix it is to put the game in his hands & let him know it'll be in his hands throughout the play offs. The game plan from here on out should be pass heavy. Don't sorry about balance. Quick easy passes, a few screens, a run here & there. Keep it up through the first three qtrs. Then run the crap out of it in the fourth.
Old 12-26-2012   #32
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Eh... sort of. I agree his play left a lot to be desired, but I think the thing to fix it is to put the game in his hands & let him know it'll be in his hands throughout the play offs. The game plan from here on out should be pass heavy. Don't sorry about balance. Quick easy passes, a few screens, a run here & there. Keep it up through the first three qtrs. Then run the crap out of it in the fourth.
Schaub is not good enough to execute that game plan
Old 12-26-2012   #33
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sorry, but heck no.

The solution is to look for even more balance and hope the OL can go into beast mode in the running game.

We are not winning anything by having Matt Schaub throw 40 times/gm.
Old 12-26-2012   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Sorry, but heck no.

The solution is to look for even more balance and hope the OL can go into beast mode in the running game.

I don't know that he'll necessarily have to throw it 40 times a game. When the game is over, the numbers will balance out. Get a big lead (points come out of the passing game), then run the heck out of it.

Right now we're asking him to be our safety valve. If the run game doesn't keep us on schedule, we're asking Matt to get us out of third & long. He's not that guy.

Schaub is the single most important guy on this team offensively. He's a rhythm passer. We need to get him into a rhythm & keep him there as long as possible. If he turns it over, the defense will bail us out. This part of the plan is no different than us going 3 & out, or failing to gain more than 30 yards on offense (given our poor starting position).

His best game this year was Denver. He was 17 of 30 for 295 yards. We ran the ball 34 times with Tate & Foster for 152 yards.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 12-26-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: eidted Matt's line in the Denver game..... Rey's quote has the original
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #35
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sorry, but heck no.

This year we are 2-0 when Schaub has 40+ attempts 5-0 with 35+ attempts
Old 12-26-2012   #36
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
This year we are 2-0 when Schaub has 40+ attempts 5-0 with 35+ attempts
We're also 7-0 when he has 31 or fewer attempts.

I'll give you three guesses on the three games he barely missed your 35+ mark, but they were all losses...hint, hint....Probably not converting third downs and being pulled before the game was over had something to do with him just missing your mark...

And the 2 games where he has 40+ attempts were both overtime games.
Old 12-26-2012   #37
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't know that he'll necessarily have to throw it 40 times a game. When the game is over, the numbers will balance out. Get a big lead (points come out of the passing game), then run the heck out of it.

Right now we're asking him to be our safety valve. If the run game doesn't keep us on schedule, we're asking Matt to get us out of third & long. He's not that guy.

Schaub is the single most important guy on this team offensively. He's a rhythm passer. We need to get him into a rhythm & keep him there as long as possible. If he turns it over, the defense will bail us out. This part of the plan is no different than us going 3 & out, or failing to gain more than 30 yards on offense (given our poor starting position).

His best game this year was Denver. He threw the ball 17 times for 295 yards. We ran the ball 34 times with Tate & Foster for 152 yards.
Sounds to me like you have a gripe with the playcalling. It's not an issue of how often we throw for you, but when we throw...You want us to throw it more early...

I can get behind that...

Kubiak has done that a bit this year though...Come out throwing the ball a bunch. You are right, we look like a better team when that happens.
Old 12-26-2012   #38
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
We're also 7-0 when he has under 31 or fewer attempts.

I'll give you three guesses on the three games he barely missed your 35+ mark, but they were all losses...hint, hint....Probably not converting third downs and being pulled before the game was over had something to do with him just missing your mark...

And the 2 games where he has 40+ attempts were both overtime games.

Do you know how many attempts Matt had in the OT against Jacksonville? 14 which means he posted 41 in reg. In the lions game he had 10 attemps putting him at 38 for reg. Point being is that we certainly can win with Schaub and 40 attempts. In truth if we get to 40ish attempts its typically not because of Schaub so that does put us in a bad spot but 40 attempts doesnt equal a loss and the numbers show it for this season

my guess on the lower end attempt games our running game was working, on the mid games the running game wasnt the best and/or we got behind, on the 35+ games it would also be running games/d issues
Old 12-26-2012   #39
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Do you know how many attempts Matt had in the OT against Jacksonville? 14 which means he posted 41 in reg. In the lions game he had 10 attemps putting him at 38 for reg. Point being is that we certainly can win with Schaub and 40 attempts. In truth if we get to 40ish attempts its typically not because of Schaub so that does put us in a bad spot but 40 attempts doesnt equal a loss and the numbers show it for this season
So many things wrong with your post.

The first point about OT is that we were in shootouts in both and both those teams had a chance to win in OT....If that in your mind equals some kind of formula for success I don't know what to tell you.... It means that we were forced to throw the ball around because we had to. Not because that is what the game plan called for. And in both of those games the other teams had opprotunities to win in OT because of Schaub throwing the ball around so much. If you think that is a recipe for success then you don't know what you are watching. The reason that the numbers show it is because those teams (two non-play off teams) failed to capitalize when we gave them an opprotunity...Or you could give credit to the defense for making stops when they needed it...
Old 12-26-2012   #40
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So many things wrong with your post.

The first point about OT is that we were in shootouts in both and both those teams had a chance to win in OT....If that in your mind equals some kind of formula for success I don't know what to tell you.... It means that we were forced to throw the ball around because we had to. Not because that is what the game plan called for. And in both of those games the other teams had opprotunities to win in OT because of Schaub throwing the ball around so much. If you think that is a recipe for success then you don't know what you are watching. The reason that the numbers show it is because those teams (two non-play off teams) failed to capitalize when we gave them an opprotunity...Or you could give credit to the defense for making stops when they needed it...

Usually in OT both teams have a chance to win as typically in OT the score is pretty close from the get go. Also I think FG gave the other team a chance to win not just Schaub. Point being we can and have won with 40 attempts with Schaub. Use whatever other monday morning view you want and the fact remains we won both games with Schaub throwing 40+ times something you said we simply cant do.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read