Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-25-2012   #61
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: We have a backup quarterback being coached by a backup quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Why are you feeding the troll dude?
Old 12-25-2012   #62
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10263 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Why are you feeding the troll dude? I would and no doubt any other sane person would take half those QBs on that list. Big Ben, Stafford, Ryan, E. Manning, and I think even Tony Romo would be an upgrade over Schaub.
i dont believe he is a troll, i dont doubt he is a texans fan just like every one else here. he is entitled to his opinion, were just here to debate. at the same time, im contemplating backing off my schaub arguments, its pointless. ive seen and taken mental notes of everyone who shares the same opinion as mine. i would love for all of us to be wrong about this guy... i hope the likes of texecitioner, mr. tex, nitro have a field day reposting these "hater" comments all of us have made after matt schaub is hoisting up a lombardi trophy.
Old 12-25-2012   #63
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
i hope the likes of texecitioner, mr. tex, nitro have a field day reposting these "hater" comments all of us have made after matt schaub is hoisting up a lombardi trophy.
Would love that.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #64
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i dont believe he is a troll, i dont doubt he is a texans fan just like every one else here. he is entitled to his opinion, were just here to debate. at the same time, im contemplating backing off my schaub arguments, its pointless. ive seen and taken mental notes of everyone who shares the same opinion as mine. i would love for all of us to be wrong about this guy... i hope the likes of texecitioner, mr. tex, nitro have a field day reposting these "hater" comments all of us have made after matt schaub is hoisting up a lombardi trophy.
I would love to be proven wrong too, but I firmly believe that if the Texans are going to make any serious noise in the playoffs it'll be because of the running game and the defense. Schaub is a manager and we can't expect him to do any more than that at this point in his career. Sure he had a couple of years where he was among the league leaders in passing, but this is a passing league and those kinds of stats don't mean much to me. Kubiak's job #1 is to fix the o-line and if he can do that we should be OK.
Old 12-25-2012   #65
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
What team is going to let any of these guys go?
Answer: None. Not one.

So what is the point of this question?
None but in the fans discussion The teams that aren't winning enough will look for the grass on the other side of the fence
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

How about Tom Brady being coached by a guy who never played professional football?

76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #67
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
How about Tom Brady being coached by a guy who never played professional football?

And a guy that lucked out with a QB that "got it" and became on of the games best
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-25-2012   #68
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
And a guy that lucked out with a QB that "got it" and became on of the games best
Maybe he deserves some credit for picking, sticking with, coaching and developing that guy?

It's not like the pats sucked when Brady was hurt that one year.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #69
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
The guy even got fired before.
And he never ever even played QB.
Old 12-25-2012   #70
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Maybe he deserves some credit for picking, sticking with, coaching and developing that guy?

It's not like the pats sucked when Brady was hurt that one year.
The guy was never involved with the offensive side of the ball.
In his first year back as a HC, he suddenly discovered genius and said hey I want to take that guy in the sixth round. I know QB, and I deserve credit, as in significantly; man, he may as well go to Vegas and make a killing.
Old 12-25-2012   #71
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If the purpose of the thread is to compare QBs cool as we have done that before. However, if you want to replace Schaub as you indicate, would you not need to suggest QBs you can get? You seem to be saying you don't like your wife and you are comparing her to other guys wives that you cannot have. Eliminate them and those single women that don't want you. Basically you have to choose other teams' rejects, those that will soon be on the market as their husbands will no longer support their "high maintenance" or young sweet things coming out of school that may go with you as they have no other choice (draft).
This is why I asked "what's the point of this question?" No one is going to trade their guy for Schaub straight up. No one.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #72
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
youre a delusional homer.. just like everyone else who blindly suppports schaub you have to make so many factors to aid your case for him..

but ok lets have it your way, lets eliminate rodgers, brady, manning, and high draft rooks...

now answer the question.. which half of those teams would jump at the chance to have schaub over the guys listed...
Probably none.
But our front office wouldn't "jump at the chance" to give up Schaub for any of them either.

Now if you asked the respective fan bases, you'll probably get varying answers. ...depending on how their guy did the previous Sunday.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #73
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

WOW!!! Just whenever I didn't think I've ever heard the "dumbest thing I've ever heard"....... Well, I just heard the dumbest thing I've ever heard!!!

Newbie!!!

*EDIT*
To be clear, my post was based on the OP.
Old 12-25-2012   #74
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Probably none.
But our front office wouldn't "jump at the chance" to give up Schaub for any of them either.

Now if you asked the respective fan bases, you'll probably get varying answers. ...depending on how their guy did the previous Sunday.
EVERY fan base these days are knee-jerking, prisoners of the moment. Disgusting.
Old 12-26-2012   #75
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 132152 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWin View Post
Of all starting quarterbacks, I would honestly take any of the below over Schaub in a heartbeat at this point in their respective careers. Can you guys really argue Schaub over any of these guys?

None of our 12 wins stand out at all. @ Denver while they were adjusting early on. Baltimore has proven to be not as good as advertised. Same with Chicago.
Schaub will NEVER be the leader this team needs in primetime and when games matter most. If this team gets down by 2+ scores, we're fuc*ed... All of our wins come from defensive forced turnovers and scores or Arian Foster playing very well to where any QB could come in with a playaction call.

Back to that list:

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Big Ben
Andrew Luck
Tony Romo (pains me to even say this, but I would because he at least tries to make plays and can make plays with feet and arm)
Eli Manning
RG III
Jay Cutler (similar to Romo... at least he tries to make plays and can with feet and arm)
Matthew Stafford
Aaron Rodgers
Matt Ryan
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson
Ryan Tannehill
i'm going to skip the thread entirely and respond to the OP. you listed 14 players, so schaub is atleast a top half quarterback in your eyes. your eyes being riddled with nonsense of course. by tagging 4 rookies your prove bias or age or your madden rating - or any combination of those. only 6 of the listed qb's have had more success than schaub.

denver, indy, baltimore. so far we've beaten the 2,4,5 seeds this season. we beat the 6 seed twice last year. the only hole is against the patriots. i'd call 3-1 against playoff opponents this season meaningful.

as for what it will take to win a big game, you havent seen one yet. we havent seen foster, schaub, and kubiak in a playoff game. elway didnt win by himself. he needed terrell davis and kubiak calling the plays to make it happen. we're getting healthy at the right time, and despite armchair doomsayers, we are still the team to beat.
Old 12-26-2012   #76
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80958 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

To me its more lack of Schaubs ability than it is coaching.
Old 12-26-2012   #77
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
To me its more lack of Schaubs ability than it is coaching.
I don't disagree that Schaub is limited to an extent, but he also has a lot of things that more 'talented' QB's don't have.

One thing that is being grossly disregarded in this and other threads is knowledge of the system.

There are very few QB's in the league who would be an immediate upgrade due to this, and every single QB is a product of their system to a large extent, all of their tendencies are formed by how they view their system. Just look at the transformation of Brees in NOLA, Alex Smith (seemingly a future hall of famer depending who you read on this board right now) under Harbaugh compared to any other system he's been put in (yeah, so a sure fire success in our system then).

What else does Schaub do well? On the whole he's pretty good protecting the football, he sells the fake handoff as well as anybody which helps both attacks, has great timing with his receivers on short and medium stuff, knows when to throw it away (most of the time) under pressure, doesn't try to force it if it isn't there, is a good role model for his team-mates.

Its easy to forget what we risk by moving him on. That is why Kubiak isn't about to sanction any kind of high risk change at the position, even during FA last season, when his starting QB was in traction and a genuine future HOFer was available AND Schaub only had a year on his deal, IE, about as do-able as its ever going to be, the braintrust weren't going to pull the trigger.

Why people believe that anything will be different if Alex Smith gets cut is beyond me.

Now, Schaub in prime-time is a worry, Schaub in big games worries me. But then even more distressing to me is that the team went around buying each other matching jackets and segways while verbally circle-jerking about their unanimous #1 November power rankings as if the super-bowl was already won. That worries me more than a few little improvements our QB could make.

If Schaub crumbles in big games, the rest of the team sees success as beating league also-rans when the established big boys are hovering around .500 and fully focussed on improving for when it matters.

I still have faith that they can make the necessary changes, but if this team doesn't make the AFCC game, and possibly the SB, I know where I'm coming back to with my complaints.

To the right we have a guy who's been to the Superbowl and failed in that game. You are #1 in power ranking in November, hardly the peak of his career and surely rather than modelling leather he should be focussed on getting there again and not getting beat this time. On the left we have a guy who's had one good season, and in a contract year is not doing as well, who has yet to actually achieve anything of note in the league. You're about to board a plane for a national stage game against a team who simply don't get beat in their stadium at this time of year, so wtf are you playing at with this ****. I hope lessons have been learned from this because those guys got embarrassed, and it'll only become more embarrassing if they don't turn it around in a few weeks time.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #78
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
To me QBs are measured in the clutch and in the playoffs. Schaub has never played in a playoff game so the jury is still out.
Until he wins playoff games, he will be Warren Moon 2.0 in my mind. Gawdy regular season stats mean nothing in the playoffs.
Old 12-26-2012   #79
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 11126 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't wait for a new app that allows me to slap the piss out of every person that starts a dumb thread. Stop posting.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #80
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
It's unfair how people here use the O-line to defend Schaub when he's not playing well. Our pass blocking is not as bad as people make it out to be. Schaub is getting sufficient time to throw and when there is pressure he has the responsibilty to either step up or to the side of the pocket so the defender can run by. Most pass rush is avoidable by this fundamental footwork. These are the things every QB are taught in practice.

I remember a few years ago I visited Boston and had the chance to go watch a Patriots practice. I saw Tom Brady in a pocket-practice session where the staff were rolling big medicine balls at him from many angles. He was avoiding those balls while keeping his eyes down field with just a slide of the feet here and there. Brady like Schaub is no world-class athlete with their feet. QB that aren't mobile, like Brady and Manning can erased a bad block by their lineman by using simple footwork. The problem with Schaub is he has zero pocket awareness and instinct. That's why you see him often bracing on phantom pass rush.

Schaub strenght only last 3 seconds from the snap of the ball. After that if he can't find his targets a fuse go off in his head regardless of whether there's pressure or not. You see him looking for a roll out lane. Schaub will look for a roll out lane REGARDLESS of a presence of pressure. I seen him rolled out of a three-man pass rush on max-protected. Hell, I've seen him rolled out on a two-man rush where the defense drop everyone back to prevent a a red zone TD. When a QB do that they limit themselves to viable throwing targets. They also create the illusion to the media and fans that the O-line failed on that play and that's the reason a QB failed to make a throw. "It's the O-line fault. They didn't allow him enough time. Look how the QB have to scramble from that pass rush. They broke down"

Those guys upfront are busting their butts off for that guy. They're not perfect on every pass play. And they far from bad. They sufficient for the most part and that should be enough. To have you people here bash them is disgusting. You put a QB with sound footwork and good pocket-instinct behind that line, I guarantee everyone will view our O-line in a more positive way.

If you guys are in disagreement with my assessment, I'll make a proposition for you. Show me a video of Schaub staying in a well protected pocket, standing poised waiting for his reciever to break routes and making a throw on a undesign play. Show me a video of Schaub stepping aside to avoid a pass rush, gather his feet and making a downfield throw while still in the pocket. If someone can upload that video in this forum I will paypal you a $100. You can go back to any years he played here. Hell you even can go back to when he was with the Falcon. And if you STILL in disagreement, next time you see a defense rushing only three and dropping everyone back, watch how he panics and make awkward throws or rolled out from a clean pocket. When his receiver aren't open and there's no roll out lane expect the balls to be thrown in the stands-regardless of pressure.

I wish folks here stop blaming the O-line for Schaub bad QB plays. He panic too often when his reciever are covered. And when he make a good throw within his 3 second window people are cool with that. But if his 3 second is up and there's no one open and Schaub gives up and takes a seat on defender's lap people call out our line.

This QB needs to be held accountable. So please. Stop blaming the line!!
To the bolded, I wish I had time, I'd take that hundy. He's done it many times. Just did it against the Vikes.

As an aside and not being a grammar Nazi, just curious, is English your second langue?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read