Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-24-2012   #1
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs down Casey is a tight end ...not a fullback....

James Casey is a versatile player....but I dont think he should be our Fullback. I think Kubiak/Smith made a mistake on this one. I think he should be playing tight end myself.....not Fullback. He is too tall for the position. You need someone more short and stout....like Vickers.....Leach (should have never let him go.....). I just think that is part of the problem with the running game the fullback postion.
Noone has brought this up but I do think this has something to do with the problems with the running game. The fullback position.

Kubiak wanted to get more options for Schuab in the passing game and made the choice to go with Casey over bringing back Vickers or Norris as well.

Maybe Kubiak Smith are wrong on this one. I think so.

I want James Casey on offense......tight end...but not as our Fullback. I have seen enough.....
Thats not the only problem with the offense...but it is one of them.

Get a true Fullback back in here Gary or Rick....please......
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Casey is a tight end ...not a fullback....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
James Casey is a versatile player....but I dont think he should be our Fullback. I think Kubiak/Smith made a mistake on this one. I think he should be playing tight end myself.....not Fullback. He is too tall for the position. You need someone more short and stout....like Vickers.....Leach (should have never let him go.....). I just think that is part of the problem with the running game the fullback postion.
Noone has brought this up but I do think this has something to do with the problems with the running game. The fullback position.

Kubiak wanted to get more options for Schuab in the passing game and made the choice to go with Casey over bringing back Vickers or Norris as well.

I want James Casey on offense......tight end...but not as our Fullback. I have seen enough.....

Absolutely they made a mistake. Letting Leach go and keeping Jacoby Jones was a huge mistake and it continues to bite us in the ass over and over again. Foster behind Leach was a beast. Foster without him has been less beastly in most every way imaginable.

We need to find a legitimate replacement for Vonta Leach. Vickers wasn't it and Casey isn't it either.
Old 12-24-2012   #3
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

letting leach was not a good move, as he was a great fullback. but its hard to argue with foster and tate combining for close to 2300 yards without him. but i agree that casey would be better utilized at TE. kubiaks inability to make adjustments kills this team. he kept casey at fullback when graham was injured. didnt we just trade for a fullback in clutts?? why not use him more and keep casey at TE..
Old 12-24-2012   #4
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102181 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post

We have a damn FB on the Roster. A pure FB. You will only see him when the 2nd string plays. Instead we now put AJ and KW as Fb then motion them to "try" to fool defenses. And boy are they fooled
Old 12-24-2012   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
letting leach was not a good move, as he was a great fullback. but its hard to argue with foster and tate combining for close to 2300 yards without him. but i agree that casey would be better utilized at TE. kubiaks inability to make adjustments kills this team. he kept casey at fullback when graham was injured. didnt we just trade for a fullback in clutts?? why not use him more and keep casey at TE..
I think it's easy to argue with it. Most Sundays you don't miss him. Most of the game you don't miss him. Most of those 2300 yards you don't miss him. When you absolutely know you need 1 yard to keep the drive alive and everybody on the field knows who is getting the ball you miss him. Against the good teams you miss him. When it's first and goal you miss him.

Letting Vonta Leach go made the Texans a softer team and they couldn't afford to get any softer.
Old 12-24-2012   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

We have a thumping full back on the roster. Why kubiak doesn't use him is anyones guess.

I don't understand why Casey isn't used more as a weapon.

One of the players needs to start a twitter called shyt my coach does.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #7
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102181 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
We have a thumping full back on the roster. Why kubiak doesn't use him is anyones guess.

I don't understand why Casey isn't used more as a weapon.

One of the players needs to start a twitter called shyt my coach does.
That thumping FB does play when we pull all the starters. Its funny cause in the Pats game we only had 1 TE and 1 FB with the starters, but moved AJ to FB and motioned him to "FOOL" the defense HAHAH. And then at the end of the game when Yates went in Casey went to TE and we put the other FB in at FB.

Kubiaks thinking blows my mind. Makes you say

"What the **** is he thinking" every single time.
Old 12-24-2012   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I've said this ever since they got rid of Leach. Body type, strength, leverage and skill sets are worlds apart.

Leach is FB

Casey is a TE

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #9
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Fixing the RG and RT are way more important at this time. This team really doesn't use the FB position anymore.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #10
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I've said this ever since they got rid of Leach. Body type, strength, leverage and skill sets are worlds apart.

Leach is FB

Old 12-25-2012   #11
Premier
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think it's easy to argue with it. Most Sundays you don't miss him. Most of the game you don't miss him. Most of those 2300 yards you don't miss him. When you absolutely know you need 1 yard to keep the drive alive and everybody on the field knows who is getting the ball you miss him. Against the good teams you miss him. When it's first and goal you miss him.

Letting Vonta Leach go made the Texans a softer team and they couldn't afford to get any softer.
youre right, i remember a stat from 2010 about the texans being 16/16 running on 3rd & 1. i guess i forget about his importance when were trying to eat clock as we never played with leads in 2010. the thing is, it shouldnt be that hard to replace a guy like vonta, there has to be tons of guys floating around this league that are of the same build and their sole mission is to lay people out. we replaced him with a TE. we need a bruiser, we have a guy on our roster who fits that bill in clutts.. i really thought jason ford could have made an impact, that guy was built like a tank. he just looked like a fullback, but he was cut before preseason..
Old 12-25-2012   #12
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
fixing the rg and rt are way more important at this time. This team really doesn't use the fb position anymore.
rg,rt,lb,lb,lb,wr,nt >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fb
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #13
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

You might recall casey had what we thought was a breakout game last year. Then he got hurt for a stretch of games followed by schaub getting hurt. When yates came in we were lead to believe the "casey part of the playbook" was not so familiar to yates and we wouldn't see him utilized. Well, a whole season later with a healthy schaub we still havent seen casey utilized. People here were excited about the match up problems casey presented for linebackers. Casey IS an h-back. He's not a full back or a tightend. Instead of using him as an h-back, kubiak has stubbornly tried to force a square peg into a round hole. If casey is not going to be used more as a pass catcher why is he here? Just go out and get a more traditional full back. I think the guy is every bit the weapon any #3 wr we have.

It's dumb we havent used him properly excluding 1 game in the 3-4 years the guy has been here.
Old 12-25-2012   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
You might recall casey had what we thought was a breakout game last year. Then he got hurt for a stretch of games followed by schaub getting hurt. When yates came in we were lead to believe the "casey part of the playbook" was not so familiar to yates and we wouldn't see him utilized. Well, a whole season later with a healthy schaub we still havent seen casey utilized. People here were excited about the match up problems casey presented for linebackers. Casey IS an h-back. He's not a full back or a tightend. Instead of using him as an h-back, kubiak has stubbornly tried to force a square peg into a round hole. If casey is not going to be used more as a pass catcher why is he here? Just go out and get a more traditional full back. I think the guy is every bit the weapon any #3 wr we have.

It's dumb we havent used him properly excluding 1 game in the 3-4 years the guy has been here.

Part of me is hoping that this (Casey catching passes) is what Kubiak is holding back for the playoffs. Safeties not letting anybody get behind them sounds good to me for the D.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #15
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Casey's playing fullback simply b/c it gets him on the field nearly every play regardless of formation and it adds versatility to what we can do if we shift a little. Casey we can send across the middle and in the deep seam if we needed to. Leach wasn't giving us that option; the most we could do with him in the passing game is send him out to the flats where he'd catch his little pass for a 3 yard gain every 2 or 3 games.

If Casey played strictly TE, dude wouldn't be getting on the field nearly as much b/c his in-line blocking skills aren't that great and his hands aren't that much better than graham's......but graham's in-line blocking is much better than Casey's...

I do feel kubes under utilizes him though...probably need to call a few more plays for him in the passing game and give schaub a few more outlet throws other than just Arian.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Casey's playing fullback simply b/c it gets him on the field nearly every play regardless of formation and it adds versatility to what we can do if we shift a little. Casey we can send across the middle and in the deep seam if we needed to. Leach wasn't giving us that option; the most we could do with him in the passing game is send him out to the flats where he'd catch his little pass for a 3 yard gain every 2 or 3 games.

If Casey played strictly TE, dude wouldn't be getting on the field nearly as much b/c his in-line blocking skills aren't that great and his hands aren't that much better than graham's......but graham's in-line blocking is much better than Casey's...

I do feel kubes under utilizes him though...probably need to call a few more plays for him in the passing game and give schaub a few more outlet throws other than just Arian.

32 receptions in 15 games hardly seems like a passing weapon in good exchange for a lead "horse."
Old 12-25-2012   #17
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
32 receptions in 15 games hardly seems like a passing weapon in good exchange for a lead "horse."

I agree...but graham's cutting into what casey might be doing in the passing game as well...they're stats are nearly identical this year; and graham's missed 2 games. Thats 6 TD's and about 700 yds recieving which isnt bad at all. arian's also had no problems getting his TD's this year..he's led the league pretty much all year so not sure how much leach is really missed.

in all likelihood you'd need to part with 1 of these guys for leach to be here and be an integral part of the offense....and personally, i'd prefer casey be the odd guy out. graham's already shown that he's just as viable an option in the passing game.

The other problem is that that lead horse is basically an extinct position these days and more often than not, it limits an offense and isn't worth the roster spot..My personal opinion is that kubes has had to have graham stay in and help out with blocking on the right side moreso than he probably envisioned b/ c newton and company have been getting owned a large portion of the times they've been left solo.

You also have to wonder how much leach would help in the running game this year considering that our o-line isnt the same o-line from the years he was here; they haven't played as well as they did last year either.

I surmise that its a little bit of both.
Old 12-25-2012   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Then why did we even bother getting Clutts? As a STs player only without dual role? Thought that was a philosophy that was to be avoided.
Old 12-25-2012   #19
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Clutts has a dual role...ST and fullback....doesnt mean he has to start to fulfill his dual role. Every guy on ST is a back up at some position.
Old 12-25-2012   #20
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

leech was good but not worth all that money what was it 8 mill

u dont build your team that way paying a FB that much
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read