Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What do we need the most ?
Left Tackle 44 33.85%
Tight End - that can block and catch 45 34.62%
Center 17 13.08%
Defensive Lineman 2 1.54%
Strong Safety 2 1.54%
#2 WR 6 4.62%
another Pass Rushing Linebacker - (Capers' vote) 3 2.31%
Offensive Co-ordinator - that knows blocking 11 8.46%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2005   #21
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Wins

Wow, clever Vinny. Hopefully the coaches and the team have that same philosophy!

Hey, where have you been, haven't seen you here lately.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #22
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

I voted Tight End by why is RB not up there? Thats crazy!
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #23
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05

Dude, you are too focused on a running back; your name says it all. We've got Davis, who won ROTY, and who's rushed for over 1000 yards each season. I'm not saying he's Emmit Smith, but he's getting the job done.

We also drafted a running back in the draft; let's see what this guy does before we scream he sucks too.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #24
bigtex77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05
Because we already have a RB that has proven himself, regardless of what you may think.

Well TexansPride already said it, I typed too slow!!
Old 06-13-2005   #25
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've come to the conclusion that what we need most is for the season to start.
Old 06-13-2005   #26
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I've come to the conclusion that what we need most is for the season to start.
I second that.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #27
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

I went with a complete TE.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2005   #28
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

Maybe LT wouldn't be up there if we had an offensive co-ordinator that had more knowledge of pass-blocking ?

Just MAYBE, though
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #29
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwANDREtheBALL
Maybe LT wouldn't be up there if we had an offensive co-ordinator that had more knowledge of pass-blocking ?

Just MAYBE, though
Does it matter that he is not knowledgeable? If guys can't block the guy in front of them, no matter what the scheme is, then it should fall on the individual.
If we are in trouble because more guys are coming than we have to block them, then that falls on the coordinator.
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #30
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
For me it's a toss up between LT and a quality TE. I'll take either.

Next would be a center.

Finally, I'd like to see what our wide receiver crew could do if we had that LT and TE to give Carr sometime, and take some pressure off of the receivers (I'm speaking of the TE on the latter portion). I really think we could be ok at this spot with the growth of our veterans, and the additions of our rookies.
I'm pretty in line with your feelings on this one. The current three-step drop & throw is a stop-gap measure at best to keep Carr from injury. By switching to that system (3 & throw), the Texans are basically acknowledging that they aren't expecting the OL to be dramatically better.

Comparing our sack stats against other teams, without including details such as # of steps in the drop, QB "hurries", etc. in the mix can be very misleading. When Carr has the time, he's definitely 'above average' for a QB, but he's either never had the time, nor enough WRs/TEs that can spread the defense effectively to really show it.

I can't wait for the season to start either!
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #31
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3
I'm pretty in line with your feelings on this one. The current three-step drop & throw is a stop-gap measure at best to keep Carr from injury. By switching to that system (3 & throw), the Texans are basically acknowledging that they aren't expecting the OL to be dramatically better.
They really aren't adopting a new "system". They are just doing more timing patterns and less run and shoot type read and react type patterns.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #32
cadahnic
All Pro

Vinny what is your stance on C. Palmer. I do not think he is a bad O. Coordinator, but not exactly the right fit for a team with our particular skills and shortcummings. I think he would be a great fit in say Cincinatti, but I think we need to adopt a more west-coast offense. A hybrid more in the mold of the Raiders. I like there run-first, play-action, and downfield strike play. I think we have the components for that. With Gaff being the perfect inside slant and possession receiver that type of offense needs. Tell me what you think...
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Palmer is a Raiders style coordinator (they chunked the wco btw), and is in no way a wco guy. That is his big knock....He has too many long developing patterns and runs too vertical an offense. It worked great in Jacksonville though. Palmers offense was the best in the NFL at Jacksonville where they tore up the NFL with Brunell, Smith and Taylor. I think most people are just upset we struggled like an expansion team. I don't see our offense as bad. We were pretty much .500 last year and are on course for a big year this year. I think people want it all...and want it all yesterday.

Old 06-16-2005   #34
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They really aren't adopting a new "system". They are just doing more timing patterns and less run and shoot type read and react type patterns.
That's because the Texans haven't had the TIME to do a read & react offense. Using a 3-Step drop as the "primary" passing configuration isn't common at all throughtout the league...even by teams whose OL is supposedly ranked 'lower' than the Texans unit.
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #35
Vinny
shiny happy fan

They are ADDING in the routes, not changing the scheme. Also, the run and shoot routes can be as quick as the other routes, but the timing routes have more precision. Most of the offense will not change.

Old 06-16-2005   #36
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think people want it all...and want it all yesterday.
Um, day before yesterday please and could you Super Size the win column for me?
Old 06-16-2005   #37
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
I think people want it all...and want it all yesterday.
Today would be just as good Vinny

IMO dont necessarily see that were on course for a bigger year. But I think this year to use a poker term is a push for us.

On Topic - I went LT - To me it's a position we have needed to solidify since the team started and has never been settled. I dont see us really improving or going back down too far this year. Still more than a few areas of concern to address. But enough talent on the team to be a .500 ballclub again this year. I'm sticking with my 8-8 pick for this season.
Old 06-16-2005   #38
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I think the one thing people overlook is the overall age of the starting units on both sides of the ball, all still very young still developing so an extra offseason will only help. Continunity is also very important and we will have that with our offense.

On the topic at hand i think its the left tackle position. we at least have someone on the roster although injured that could be the answer at tight end, there isn't necesarily that on our roster for the left tackle position, Wand is still leaps and bounds away but is improving.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #39
cred
Rookie

just a question, but what year is Joppru in with his contract, and if it is near the RFA or UFA mark do we extend his stay in H-town or do we cut our losses and try someone new. I honestly was looking forward to seeing what he could, as well as thought that there was no way he could go down for a 3rd "straight" year.
cred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #40
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

it is clear that if we are to go by need only and not the all star team we all dream of, we only have a few needs:
TE: no forseeable hope for this year.
C: same deal.

the position i would most like to see us upgrade besides those is FS. I like colemen but he is old and gets burnt too often.

DD is a proven 1000+ rusher and morency is a clone. RB is not a need or close to it.

#2 WR: not a need, we are stacked. you can chose speed or hands and we have it. gaffeny and armstrong for hands. mathis for speed. we aren't going to draft a wr in the first couple of rounds to just run next to AJ. We are set at reciever. We really only need a TE and C.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read