Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What do we need the most ?
Left Tackle 44 33.85%
Tight End - that can block and catch 45 34.62%
Center 17 13.08%
Defensive Lineman 2 1.54%
Strong Safety 2 1.54%
#2 WR 6 4.62%
another Pass Rushing Linebacker - (Capers' vote) 3 2.31%
Offensive Co-ordinator - that knows blocking 11 8.46%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2005   #1
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL
Default What do we need the most?

I'm really curious as to what everyone thinks we are in dire need of.

I've heard LT a lot. And TE, and some think just Mckinney needs to be replaced.

Do you think we need a SS ?

#2 WR ?

I want as many to vote as possible so we know what the fans really perceive as the biggest area of concern.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #2
Panther5407
All Pro

LT, no doubt about it. Carr spends way to much time in the dirt.
Old 06-12-2005   #3
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Tight End
A solid #2 wide reciever
Center
Left Tackle
HardKnockTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #4
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

If we had a good center, it would make the rest of the line look much better...McKinney consistently gets pushed backwards, therefore there's no pocket for Carr to step into...If there was pocket, when the tackle got beat by a rusher, they would be able to just push the rusher wide with little risk of having the rusher sack Carr...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #5
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think we need a TE the most, and then a C, and then a LT. I think Wand will improve, and he'll be serviceable until we can find a better option. McKinney is a weakness, but until someone is able to unseat him we'll have to get used to him being there. I hope Hogdon ends up pushing McKinney for the starting spot next season, but I doubt he makes a serious push this season. I'd really like to see us have a solid and reliable TE. I thought that BJ would be that this year, but obviously he won't. I'd be surprised if we don't address that at some point in the offseason next year whether it be through the draft of FA.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
If we had a good center, it would make the rest of the line look much better...McKinney consistently gets pushed backwards
I dunno...this Hodgdon guy might push McKinney for his job - I can only hope. You know all of our division opponents are 4-3 Ds (last I heard atleast, so many converting to 3-4), which means our center is uncovered and going across the los after a LB much of the plays; the ARState rookie is a smallish, quick center I've read and might be suited for being an effective center in our OL. Just one more thing for us to keep our eyes on in training camp.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #7
BillsFan
Rookie

a #1 runningback
BillsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-12-2005   #8
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsFan
a #1 runningback
Nice try, but the Texans were not interested in Henry.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #9
Tha rock
Rookie

I think you guys need an O-Line the most.
Old 06-12-2005   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't honestly say that the Texans are in "dire need" of anything on your list. The days of being in dire need are over. Of the choices you have up there I see a few that could upgrade this team.

A franchise LT would immediatly improve the team as would an honest to goodness 1500-1600 yard per year RB (that's not a choice however).

A lot of teams out there could say the same thing. The Texans aren't any thinner than the majority of the NFL.

After the LT and RB I'd say a healthy catching AND blocking TE would make a big impact. We need one of those. Then a Center. Finally the rest of your list all comes in as a big tie. We don't "need" any of those but of course it's always good to try and upgrade.
Old 06-13-2005   #11
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
If we had a good center, it would make the rest of the line look much better...McKinney consistently gets pushed backwards, therefore there's no pocket for Carr to step into...If there was pocket, when the tackle got beat by a rusher, they would be able to just push the rusher wide with little risk of having the rusher sack Carr...
I totally agree with D-Rek on this one....Mckinney gets beat way too often up the middle and has Carr roll out into a sack way too often....but now that BJ is out for yet another season...I think the TE position is another huge need....but I would work on getting a REAL center on the line and then see how it effects the rest of the o-line...it would do wonders for Carr and Co. if we could solve that positon problem.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
I totally agree with D-Rek on this one....Mckinney gets beat way too often up the middle and has Carr roll out into a sack way too often....but now that BJ is out for yet another season...I think the TE position is another huge need....but I would work on getting a REAL center on the line and then see how it effects the rest of the o-line...it would do wonders for Carr and Co. if we could solve that positon problem.
If the Texans felt this to be true they could have kept trading down in the 1st round aquiring multiple draft picks then selected David Baas much like Vinny did in the first mock draft (05) exacuted right here. They seemed only interested in a LT.

Another factor was they expected BJ to finally stay healthy enough to become their starting TE. Now of course its going to be very difficult for him to ever reach the promising potential Casserly once thought of him. In hindsight picking Heath Miller would have made alot of sense but the Texans will have to address this need in next years draft.

The name I see mentioned the most as the 1st round pick in 2006 of the Texans is Texas OT Jonathan Scott (not a center or TE). If the Texans sign Verba however, along with Wand the Texans should have a solid tackle by committee for next season. In this case TE would be the #1 need (05).
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #13
done88
Veteran

What we need the most is a superbowl win.
Old 06-13-2005   #14
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

I still think a good Center would help the most.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #15
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

People have won me over on the arguement that we need a center the most. It is hard for Wand and Wade to use their long reach and and ride DEs out of plays when Carr has nowhere to step up. I would love to see a new center.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #16
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

my vote also goes to an above average center
Old 06-13-2005   #17
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

tight end helps running game and passing game.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #18
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

For me it's a toss up between LT and a quality TE. I'll take either.

Next would be a center.

Finally, I'd like to see what our wide receiver crew could do if we had that LT and TE to give Carr sometime, and take some pressure off of the receivers (I'm speaking of the TE on the latter portion). I really think we could be ok at this spot with the growth of our veterans, and the additions of our rookies.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #19
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88
What we need the most is a superbowl win.

And we are going to get that with the addition of what?????
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Wins

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read