Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-24-2012   #21
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Can someone summarize today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
The Texans D keyed on AP all day. He still busted a few good runs, but on balance, he was kept in check. Glover Quin and Brooks Reed had a good day in the run game. Watt had a good game altogether. Barwin had a few moments. The defense failed to stop Ponder when it mattered, however. The Vikings converted key 3rd downs and made a play action TD to the TE that was very predictable. Texans D gave up key conversions on scrambles by Ponder. On balance though, the defense did their job.

The offense just sucked rocks, as you might imagine with a total of 6 points on the board. The OL was not very good at all. Whenever they ran the back out of the backfield prior to the snap, the Vikings overloaded DBrown's side and made him choose who to block. Whenever any pressure got to Schaub, he failed. Where David Carr curled into the fetal position back in the day, Schaub panicked and gave up on the play, usually throwing the ball where no one had a chance at a play. So we've improved at that position. Arian Foster had about 15 yards rushing, IIRC. Where the OL's failures ended, his began. Receivers dropped key passes that killed drives. Kevin Walter caught a nice in route to get to the 1-yd line for first and goal and they ended up kicking a FG from the 16 yard line. That actually kind of sums up the whole day, to be honest.

Kubiak wasn't even on my radar, for a change. His team failed him so completely that he never had a chance to make a decision that would have lost the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I think we just got bullied up front, and that's what sets the tone in most football games any way. The Vikings just seemed to be playing a lot more inspired and hungry in the game from the start though. The Texans played with very little intensity and fire. When that lacks, it doesn't take but a few mistakes to take the fight out of a team pretty quickly. That's how I would sumamarize it.
These two posts just about cover it.
Repped Eriadoc,
MSR for Tex.

Just like last year, once they secured the division title, they came out half-a$$ed.

Last year they turned it back on when the playoffs started. Let's see what happens this year.

Edit: on that Irregular heartbeat thing... I wonder if it was affecting Foster from the start of the game or just came on in the 3rd qtr when they took him out??
Where's Dr. J?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #22
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Summarize today?

I'd say people are too quick to forget the overall leadership style of Gary Kubiak, and his mirror image personality in Matt Schaub, who both seem to think that being good guys who "keep battlin'" is what wins at the end of the day.

Duane Brown looked bad, he got a huge payday. Foster looked bad, he got a huge payday. Schaub looked bad, he also got a contract deal too. Those three "star" players who got new deals this season have not played well. I don't care about Foster being league leader in rushing...he hasn't had the BIG moments that change games. Adrian Peterson has. On downs when they need a conversion, AP gets it done. Foster hasn't. When the Vikings faced 3rd and long, if it wasn't AP getting their first down, it was Ponder throwing passes or running the ball himself and doing what Schaub couldn't all day long.

Face it: There's an attitude on this team that has Kubiak's fingerprints all over it. When a team is afraid of us, we beat them. When the opponent punches us in the face, the offense goes down like Glass Joe in Mike Tyson's Punchout.

To me, this is typical Gary Kubiak "limp wrist" football. Grade-A reflection of Gary Kubiak. Even the defense is like "**** it. Why should I care?" LOL.
Old 12-24-2012   #23
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Bulls on charade?
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #24
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Duane Brown looked bad, he got a huge payday. Foster looked bad, he got a huge payday. Schaub looked bad, he also got a contract deal too. Those three "star" players who got new deals this season have not played well. I don't care about Foster being league leader in rushing...he hasn't had the BIG moments that change games. Adrian Peterson has. On downs when they need a conversion, AP gets it done. Foster hasn't. When the Vikings faced 3rd and long, if it wasn't AP getting their first down, it was Ponder throwing passes or running the ball himself and doing what Schaub couldn't all day long.
Agree both Schaub and Foster NEED to play better. Duane from what I saw has had a couple bad games, but for the most part has still been dominant this season.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak looks like a major DOOF for the offseason comment about having Schaub go drive Manning from the airport to Reliant.

Manning wasn't a fit here not just due to money.....but because Kubiak needs a blind follower to be QB here, not a take-charge guy. He needs a guy who will receive his call and maybe check it to a run. MAYBE.

Furthermore, it's be neat to fantasize about us clearing out cap room for when Luck becomes a free agent...hometown kid comes home and all that jazz...but, LOL, never gonna' happen. It wouldn't wrk because what I've seen of Luck tells me he's too free of a spirit to be a Kubiak guy.

At the end of the day, Kubiak needs a QB who is less Elway and more Kubiak. I really think he's conceited that way....as if he's getting to re-live his playing days by having basically the same type of QB that HE was back then.

Who needs electric QBs? Who needs a mobile QB? Who needs a QB who is a free spirit, charismatic, and just finds ways to win (maybe even to the point of ignoring the designed play all)???

Not Kubiak. No, his plan is to show you can win with a guy like, like, well....like HIM!

Boy, yesterday's game really zapped me back to reality. I had bought into the hype. I was thinking this team could overcome itself. I knew, and stated, that Kubiak's record shows that the odds were not in our favor of winning out with 2 games to go...BUT, maybe the players dig deep and gut it out.

Giving Schaub a new deal after 1 game was foolish.

Giving Kubiak a new deal was foolish.

I think I'm really bummed out about the next few years. I've seen our ceiling with this HC and his QB. It's maxed out.
Old 12-24-2012   #26
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Goodness GP you might want to upgrade

For the record I am not going to pump sunshine. We have some issues, but I think we have some exotic thinking going
Old 12-24-2012   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think I'm really bummed out about the next few years. I've seen our ceiling with this HC and his QB. It's maxed out.
Geez, someone poured egg nog all over GP's crystal ball and then pissed on it.
Old 12-24-2012   #28
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Sun came up. Stuff happened. Sun went down.

That summarizes it and every other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #29
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Goodness GP you might want to upgrade

For the record I am not going to pump sunshine. We have some issues, but I think we have some exotic thinking going
Nah.

There is always a section of fans on here who downplay the inevitable. I used to be like you.

Then, through multiple seasons of therapy from Hervoyel, Thorn, and Lucky...I realized that I had to begin a process of scrutiny; analyzing the results and not my own desires of seeing us succeed despite any small measure of "progress" that can mask a team's REAL status and future predictors of REAL success.

We're in that familiar place again, settling back into a state of mind numbing mediocrity. It was just too much to expect of them. It was too long of a schedule, 16 games is too hard.

Had this season been 14 games long, we'd have been in fine position. I'm seeing guys on this team seriously just quit. Taking 5.

If people can't see that, then they deserve the heartache they'll get either next week or in a pivotal playoff game that we'll lose in true Houston Choke City fashion.

You speak of me. I speak of historical PROOF.
Old 12-24-2012   #30
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nah.

There is always a section of fans on here who downplay the inevitable. I used to be like you.

Then, through multiple seasons of therapy from Hervoyel, Thorn, and Lucky...I realized that I had to begin a process of scrutiny; analyzing the results and not my own desires of seeing us succeed despite any small measure of "progress" that can mask a team's REAL status and future predictors of REAL success.

We're in that familiar place again, settling back into a state of mind numbing mediocrity. It was just too much to expect of them. It was too long of a schedule, 16 games is too hard.

Had this season been 14 games long, we'd have been in fine position. I'm seeing guys on this team seriously just quit. Taking 5.

If people can't see that, then they deserve the heartache they'll get either next week or in a pivotal playoff game that we'll lose in true Houston Choke City fashion.

You speak of me. I speak of historical PROOF.
GP, can you at least wait until the end of the season to post all this doom in gloom? You might be right but at least try to enjoy the 2nd good year in Texans history.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #31
Wolf
100% Texan

Hell the good thing about doom and gloom is that 31 teams will have it. Not saying GP is going to do a "I told you so"
Old 12-26-2012   #32
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
That sums up Thorn's sex life after a life of massive alcohol intake and Oiler/Texan disappointments.

Just kidding Thorn.
Old 12-26-2012   #33
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
perfect!
Old 12-27-2012   #34
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Premature ejection?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #35
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Premature ejection?
Not only that, it was also a dud

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read