Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-23-2012   #21
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: what happened to our offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
kubiak continues to force the run/pa pass when it's obviously not going to work.

we've seen this offense this year before move the ball like 09 when they go no huddle spead and just abandon the run.
sometimes you have to set up the run game with some quick 1st down passing. when everything is dictated on the run, it isn't all that good.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #22
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 14263 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_gt View Post
sometimes you have to set up the run game with some quick 1st down passing. when everything is dictated on the run, it isn't all that good.
i agree.

one of my biggest complaints about kubiak's playcalling is he doesn't
adjust is gameplan around the strengths and weaknesses of his opponent's defense at times.
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #23
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

People keep saying coaching but i just cant fault the coach when he's not on the field. I mean how much can u really blame the coaching when a guy is just flat out getting owned on the field losing his 1 on 1 battle? When a guy cant separate and get open? Thats all on the player imo.

When we cant run, we suck....its just that simple.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
a slow, plodding offense that has a QB with limitations and a bunch of midfield targets but no deep threats. A line built to zone block and quick set blocking but not good for 7-step dropback passing. No real WR threat beside AJ and he is not the deep burner he used to be so you are left with a slow, plodding offense that throws in the towel with 4 mins left to play.
And I see nothing to say this will change. Does Schaub play action to give Andre a chance to get down the field? I wished they would use Jean a bit more with AJ. I know one play both were open & Matt threw to AJ for 17 IIRC.
Old 12-23-2012   #25
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
People keep saying coaching but i just cant fault the coach when he's not on the field. I mean how much can u really blame the coaching when a guy is just flat out getting owned on the field losing his 1 on 1 battle? When a guy cant separate and get open? Thats all on the player imo.

When we cant run, we suck....its just that simple.
that red zone plays have 2 do with some of the coaching. we've got some good backs and some good receivers/ends and we've looked like a really medicore team lately
Old 12-23-2012   #26
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
that red zone plays have 2 do with some of the coaching. we've got some good backs and some good receivers/ends and we've looked like a really medicore team lately
The run play was absolutely stuffed...tate had no chance. The pass play, schaub had someone in his lap & maybe with a more accurate pass from schaub, we score...but that's on schaub not kubiak...schaub also had someone in his lap on that play...again not on kubiak.

You guys are funny. 1 day people are complaining about kubiak going turtle in the red zone and not passing...today we pass the ball 2 out of the 3 times in our only trip to the red zone and its disasterous and now everyone's saying we should've run the ball..
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #27
legacy_gt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
The run play was absolutely stuffed...tate had no chance. The pass play, schaub had someone in his lap & maybe with a more accurate pass from schaub, we score...but that's on schaub not kubiak...schaub also had someone in his lap on that play...again not on kubiak.

You guys are funny. 1 day people are complaining about kubiak going turtle in the red zone and not passing...today we pass the ball 2 out of the 3 times in our only trip to the red zone and its disasterous and now everyone's saying we should've run the ball..
we can't run and schaub is scrambling all over the place. i place this one also on the offensive line too.

to say we were scoreless (not even 1 td) for whatever reason on our own turf to an 8-6 team and not make our coach somewhat accountable is a mistake.
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2012   #28
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

The solution seems rather simple to me. Our offense is as Vinny states a "slow plodding offense". It is designed that way to be conservative, wear out other teams, and let our defense dominate.

What I see happening now is teams are focusing number one to stop the run. When we can't run, our play action pass doesn't work. When that happens, Kubiak gets nervous and starts getting predictable. He routinely calls pass on first down, run on second, and pass on third and long.

But now our D isn't playing as well. They still are holding their own, but they aren't the "Bulls on Parade" from earlier this season. So now our offense needs to step it up. We need to up the tempo. When we ran the no huddle in the Detroit and Jacksonville games, Schaub ran it to perfection. We kept the defense on their heels. Start doing this more often, get teams afraid of the pass first, and then start letting Foster gash them.

But instead Kubiak has stuck with the same formula he had at the beginning of the season. "Slow plodding offense" to try and soak up the clock and tire out the opposition. Newsflash Kubes! It isn't working anymore. Teams are focusing on stopping Foster and then our whole game plan falls apart. Change it up, or this season is going to be over way too soon.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #29
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2511 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
The solution seems rather simple to me. Our offense is as Vinny states a "slow plodding offense". It is designed that way to be conservative, wear out other teams, and let our defense dominate.

What I see happening now is teams are focusing number one to stop the run. When we can't run, our play action pass doesn't work. When that happens, Kubiak gets nervous and starts getting predictable. He routinely calls pass on first down, run on second, and pass on third and long.

But now our D isn't playing as well. They still are holding their own, but they aren't the "Bulls on Parade" from earlier this season. So now our offense needs to step it up. We need to up the tempo. When we ran the no huddle in the Detroit and Jacksonville games, Schaub ran it to perfection. We kept the defense on their heels. Start doing this more often, get teams afraid of the pass first, and then start letting Foster gash them.

But instead Kubiak has stuck with the same formula he had at the beginning of the season. "Slow plodding offense" to try and soak up the clock and tire out the opposition. Newsflash Kubes! It isn't working anymore. Teams are focusing on stopping Foster and then our whole game plan falls apart. Change it up, or this season is going to be over way too soon.
It sucks because the no huddle works so well but is only used when behind a bunch.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #30
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
It's offensive line and to a lesser extent, playcalling.

I'd also say field position is a problem too, what with our awful special teams and the penalties they accrue.
Where were the damn screens? The Vikings were crashing the line all day, we could have mashed them with Foster, Tate, the TE's, or even Dre with screens.

WTF is with the playcalling?
Old 12-23-2012   #31
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
a slow, plodding offense that has a QB with limitations and a bunch of midfield targets but no deep threats. A line built to zone block and quick set blocking but not good for 7-step dropback passing. No real WR threat beside AJ and he is not the deep burner he used to be so you are left with a slow, plodding offense that throws in the towel with 4 mins left to play.
I could not agree more with you Vinny! I just posted something similar in the Fire Kubiak thread.

"As good as the Texans offense can be, I sometimes feel like it's kind of like a slow plodding and old fashioned offense. No doubt, when its working it's darn near unstoppable but a lot of things have to go right before it hits full speed. In today's NFL you see a lot of fast offenses that go out there and score quickly or move the chains easily when needed. All the great offenses like the Packers and Patriots have this capability to move the ball fast without having to set things up and waiting for that exact right moment to get the big plays. Part of the problem is Matt Schaub who's not fleet of foot and seems to have developed a fear of getting hit (who can really blame him after losing part of his ear???). The offense as it is right now is in trouble if the running game isn't going. It's not flexible enough to adjust on the fly imo. You can cite the Lions or Jags game as proof that we can air it out, but that's just no our thing and we cannot sustain that kind of offense for an extended period of time and expect to win games. One of things Kubiak, Dennision, and Rick Smith have to work on this offseason is to change the offense up a bit and add some new wrinkles to it. I don't know why we moved away from giving Keyshawn Martin the ball because he's the kind of guy who can move the chains and give the offense a dynamism it's sorely lacking. I thought David Anderson was a valuable guy on this offense and we're missing out on the types of plays those smaller receivers can make. Also, a bigger tight end would be nice to give Schaub a bigger target and even though OD is great, he's more a middle of the field receiver. Kubiak will not be fired so the best we can hope for as fans is that the offense will evolve and not be so one dimensional."
Old 12-23-2012   #32
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I know the line isn't playing the was they should, but I would like to have seen Forsett today. Seems like defenses are using Foster's patience against him.
Old 12-23-2012   #33
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

As down as I am on Schaub I have to admit that the offensive line is just really a train wreck right now. I thought with one side undergoing "renovation" we'd still be able to hold our own but I think unfortunately that Wade Smith is on his way out maybe a year earlier than the Texans had expected. He's coming up on 10 season and frankly, it shows. With our right side all screwed up we just couldn't afford to have Smith fall apart like he has. The Texans need to rebuild that line ASAP if they're going to keep rolling the sloth out there and expecting him to get the kind of stats that make his fans happy.
Old 12-23-2012   #34
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its a simple as one thing our oline has gotten their asses kicked by physicals defensive front in 2 games in the past month. We were called soft in the past, and many of us thought we were past that but this has reared its ugly head again recently. The big uglies had better get it fixed in a hurry of we will be asking a lot of questions this off season.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #35
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Very poor management of salary cap required us to get rid of whole right side of line. Oline not as good as last year. Hurting us in run and pass game.
2. Matt VERY limited physically as player. Needs protection with line and running game. Lack of oline gives him neither. Matt cannot create by scrambling. Teams not afraid of his running skills or his deep ball threat. Easy to game plan against. Also this year seems to be getting rattled in pocket and is cringing before he is even hit. Matt seems to be really going down hill and doesn't look like he is having any fun. People laughed when I said he needs to see a shrink but it sure couldn't hurt.
3. No 2nd wr threat. Matt basically throws to AJ or the TE and maybe the back sometimes. Either the other receivers can't get open, they are not good or Matt doesn't trust them or doesn't see the field or just doesn't have the time or a combination of the above.
4. Arian does not look any where near what he did last year. I am sure alot of this is the Oline but I think some is on him. Anybody see the special on him? He worked really hard before last season. I would guess with the big contract some of the fire went out. A little concerned about his last comment. any body remember it exactly but he is a different cat.
5.Playcalling/coaching. Maybe Kubiak knows what he has and the way he calls a game is the only way he can call it. If so we are seeing first hand what we have. Kubiak could also be too predictable in his play calling. He also could be playing too clsoe to the vest. Probably a combination of all the above but I still think it goes back to Oline and run game, and a combination of all the above.
Just my opinion.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #36
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 43520 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
we have all our tight ends, johnson is playing well, we have our 3 running backs, schaub is not injured, we even have some rookies stepping up. is it our offense line these past 6 or 7 games? coach? qb can't move? i'm baffled why we can't score anymore. i mean it's one thing to lose but to not even score at home is inexcusable.

our team looks so different than the beginning of the year.
Matt Schaub is who we thought he was.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #37
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

well after watching the game its various things

Schaub is a timming passer if he has a clean pocket he will lite u up if he has to dodge free blitzes and has to dodge pressure his lack of mobility kills the play

Newton at times got Destroyed

Ben jones at time got Destroyed obvs these two guys are showing why they are rookies

Obvs Foster isnt the same player has before SOmetimes he goes down on first contact IDK if its the line no leech or dressen i cant figure it out

getting back at schaub somes times when pressure is coming he back peddles to much i would like to see him set his feet fast and throw the ball also if he does not set his feet sometimes he makes salling and bad throws

also we still dont got a Speedster WR that can go over the top of the D andre lacks the burst speed to get away from DB

Brown gets to many Yellow Flags tooo mannnyyyy

and over all i dont know what it is but Posey droppd some balls needs to step up

and Kubes we got JEAN and Martin on the team they have been Ghost ...i dont know why

u could say playcalling has well sometimes u gotta take some chances
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #38
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i just don't see how a 6 best offense can be this bad all of the sudden.
You may not see it but if you failed to see 2 TD's in 12 qtrs then the Texans feeble offense is probably the least of your worries.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #39
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL at blaming the coaches for today, Im all for bashing Gary when given the chance, but hes not the one being captain checkdown on 3rd downs.....or Mr fetal position and cower every time a defender is within 3 yards of him

The players failed to do anything today and it started with the qb
Old 12-23-2012   #40
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow...

This offense is the same as it's been for the last couple years. Schaub is the same qb. Kubiak is the same coach.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read