Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2012   #1
BlackFizz
Rookie

Default Who is the real Gary Kubiak??

As a die hard Texans fan, i'm starting to get a bit confused. For years all i heard from Texan fans is that Kubes is inept. Most fans and local media called for his job after the 2010 season. I heard that he coaches not to lose. I heard that he is in over his head in big games, he cant call plays in the red zone, he has never utilized AJ in the red zone properly (lack of fade routes inside the 15 or ten against one on ones) ect.

This year i'm hearing that now he is the best play caller in the league. An offensive guru, the most creative play caller in all of football. He has all his weapons at his disposal now, so now the league will finally see what true offensive genius looks like.

I admit the 3rd down runs and draws do concern me. The first drive of the game was a thing of beauty. But we only kicked 3 field goals for the most part of three quarters.

So is he the creative offensive genius we see from time to time, or the Kubes who most wanted run out of town just just a season and a half ago??

Did Wade Phillips truly save and inept Kubiak's job?

Or is Kubiak an offensive genius, who just needed little help on defense?

Can someone help me figure out just who in the hell Kubiak really is??!!
BlackFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #2
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who is the real Gary Kubiak??

IDK...but I do think that he is too predictable in short yardage situiations. It's one thing if your getting results but we've been stuffed too many times already for my liking running to our left side.
Old 10-09-2012   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFizz View Post
A
Can someone help me figure out just who in the hell Kubiak really is??!!
he's a local kid made good. I hear he is coaching an undefeated NFL team.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

He is still an outstanding offensive coordinator who has not proven to me he is an above average head coach. Same can be said for Phillips. I think the game where he called play that led to a safety is an example. The constant issues with the head set in Jets game another. He should have had hand signals ready to go. He had to burn a time out that fortunately we did not need. Regardless, as long as team keeps winning, he is head coach.
Old 10-09-2012   #5
BlackFizz
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
he's a local kid made good. I hear he is coaching an undefeated NFL team.
Can this local kid who is undefeated win a SUPERBOWL?? Don't care about a 5-0 start when every team we have beaten is below 500 and only Denver had a qb with any type of pedigree. I should have expected a reply like that.

I never hear any in-between with Kubiak Either he's a guru or total crap. Whether he is 5-0 or 2-3.
BlackFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I never hear any in-between with Kubiak Either he's a guru or total crap. Whether he is 5-0 or 2-3.
Just look at his record as a head coach, should tell you what you need to know.
Old 10-09-2012   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65389 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Gary Kubiak is a guy who will never get credit for 2011-onward unless it's something negative.

Pretty much.
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2012   #8
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Just look at his record as a head coach, should tell you what you need to know.
You still have to have players. Look at Bellicheck before Brady and Holmgren without Favre. Or Shannihan without Elway.

Still, I think he's too involved in the offense and not as much in the game day big picture.

I wonder if a football team would be interested in the baseball version of the bench coach, because this one could definitely use it.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can this local kid who is undefeated win a SUPERBOWL?? Don't care about a 5-0 start when every team we have beaten is below 500 and only Denver had a qb with any type of pedigree. I should have expected a reply like that.

Who knows? 32 Coaches, one SB winner each year. Not something that is all that easy to do and there is a ton out of your control as a Coach. Personally, I think he had some rough moments learning his job on the job (as a HC) early on, but has rebounded nicely and has earned a ton of National respect and attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Gary Kubiak is a guy who will never get credit for 2011-onward unless it's something negative.

Pretty much.
huh? I don't see much negative on Kubiak anywhere outside of social media like message boards (where everyone bitches about everything). Kubiak is getting tons of love across the Nation and he would get a job INSTANTLY if he was out of work. He has plenty of respect.

Old 10-09-2012   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65389 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who knows? 32 Coaches, one SB winner each year. Not something that is all that easy to do and there is a ton out of your control as a Coach. Personally, I think he had some rough moments learning his job on the job (as a HC) early on, but has rebounded nicely and has earned a ton of National respect and attention.

huh? I don't see much negative on Kubiak anywhere outside of social media (where everyone bitches about everything). Kubiak is getting tons of love across the Nation and he would get a job INSTANTLY if he was out of work. He has plenty of respect.
I'm speaking mostly about around here and with most hardcore lovers of the Texans. The national media loves him, but I think the city of Houston is collectively waiting for a letdown so they can point to it and say I TOLD YOU HE WAS A BUM IT WAS PHILLIPS ALL ALONG!
Old 10-09-2012   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
I'm speaking mostly about around here and with most hardcore lovers of the Texans. The national media loves him, but I think the city of Houston is collectively waiting for a letdown so they can point to it and say I TOLD YOU HE WAS A BUM.
I think "most" Texan fans like the job he is doing. You are focusing too much on chronic complainers like GP. I think guys like that are squarely in the minority.

Old 10-09-2012   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
I think "most" Texan fans like the job he is doing. You are focusing too much on chronic complainers like GP. I think guys like that are squarely in the minority.
I do admit to listening to Houston sports radio more than is probably healthy, but I get a distinct feeling that the average Texans fan think Kubiak is a garbage coach who was saved by Wade Phillips and his mysterious 3-4 defense.

I mean, I love me some Wade, and I love what he's done with the defense; there are some people in this city who take it entirely too far and want to give Phillips credit for any and everything that was minutely positive for the Texans in 2011. That's not just GP, thats reading comments, listening to radio and even taking in some of our beloved journalism in this great city.
Old 10-09-2012   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
I do admit to listening to Houston sports radio more than is probably healthy, but I get a distinct feeling that the average Texans fan think Kubiak is a garbage coach who was saved by Wade Phillips and his mysterious 3-4 defense.

I mean, I love me some Wade, and I love what he's done with the defense; there are some people in this city who take it entirely too far and want to give Phillips credit for any and everything that was minutely positive for the Texans in 2011. That's not just GP, that reading comments, listening to radio and even taking in some of our beloved journalism in this great city.
I don't understand how you come to that conclusion. If I get 10 complaints on this MB it doesn't trump the thousands that are happy. I look at it like a segment of any group will always complain - they never go away. Just look at this win as a quick example. We win the game and some of you guys don't like the gloss coming out of the talking heads so instead of enjoying 5-0, they focus on being dis-re-spek-ted. Talk about being a debbie downer.

Old 10-09-2012   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
I don't understand how you come to that conclusion. If I get 10 complaints on this MB it doesn't trump the thousands that are happy. I look at it like a segment of any group will always complain - they never go away. Just look at this win as a quick example. We win the game and some of you guys don't like the gloss coming out of the talking heads so instead of enjoying 5-0, they focus on being dis-re-spek-ted. Talk about being a debbie downer.
It's just the consensus that I come to from reading this stuff everywhere. You may think I'm off-base by saying that Kubiak won't get credit for 2011-onwards, but, I don't think it's out of this realm to assume that most people that are Texans fans still hold out that Kubiak is not that good of a coach due to stuff like his challenge record, playcalling with a lead, and not being "fiery" enough. These are silly complaints when you look at all of what Kubiak has done with and for the Texans, but they always seem to be there. First loss we get people are going to call into 610 talking about how Kubiak had failed us in some manner (which may or may not be true depending on the context of the loss, but those callers will happen really no matter what the context of the loss truly is).

Basically what I'm saying is, a large number of "Texans fans" (be it fans that only started watching last year, or since 1963), if they are going to heap praise on a coach of the Texans staff, are going to heap it on Wade.
Old 10-09-2012   #15
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 73652 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

kubiak's a players coach with a great offensive system. he's extremely strong in designing and getting execution from route combinations and blocking schemes, with no real weakness in his expertise. any year he can have the leading rusher or receiver or quarterback and has turned a late round offensive line into a top 5 unit for years. he's a heck of a teacher, most players show a lot of progress.

the questions come when you talk about playcalling. very conservative, almost taking too long to set up his big play. there are also a few "wtf" calls per game (the second reverse in the first quarter comes to mind). he seems to be weakest at making adjustments as the game goes along. a lot of folks dont appreciate that he takes the safe smart play over the big swing later in games, but who's to say what the best approach is. maybe he remembers 35-3.

the big fault though is being overly loyal - as we're seeing with marciano who should've been fired years ago - like with the defensive coaches who had no business as coordinator. to that point, "did wade save his job?" ... yes and no. yes it was wade, but any legitimate defensive coordinator would've made a huge impact, especially if they were savvy enough to go after joseph, manning, and watt. wade's obviously one of the best in the business and the two make a perfect pair, almost mirror images on each side of the ball.

as a team builder ... well, just look at how much talent this team has. it took some time to get to this point after 2-14, but we're pretty strong in every facet - with hard working "good guys".
Old 10-09-2012   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak has had the "luxury" of an owner who has an old school mentality. McNair admires the great teams of the past that stood by a head coach while he went threw growing pains and learning curves. Most NFL owners would have fired Kubiak after his fifth season and the 6-10 record. Heck, many Texans fans felt the same way.

But McNair took his lumps and never lost faith in Kubiak. That loyalty, along with maybe the greatest coaching hire of this franchise *cough*Wade*cough*, have paid off nicely so far.

Kubiak has undoubtedly been a great offensive coordinator. Nobody will take that from him. But as a HC, there is some black marks, chiefly hiring two defensive coordinators that gave us historically bad defenses and lost games for us.

I think the final say about Kubiak the head coach is a while off in the distant future. Hopefully, of course, it's a book with a happy ending. But right now, it's too early to say if he's closer to Marvin Lewis or eventually the next "Tom Landry". Time will tell.
Old 10-09-2012   #17
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Kubiak is a great offensive coordinator. I think he is a very good head coach. But I think he is a terrible defensive coach.

I don't think Kubiak is terrible and Wade saved his job; he just never had a decent defensive coordinator and Kubiak is a bit deficient on the defensive side of the ball.

What I like the most about Kubiak is the guy is a true player's coach. He never bad mouths players to the media, but he will let them have it behind closed doors. He will call guys out for not doing their job but when it comes to addressing the media, "It's all on me" is his reply. I hated this for the longest time because I thought that was why we were a bad team. But we now see we were a bad team because we had piss poor defensive coordinators that did not utilize the talent on this team, plus we had a rookie GM that was learning on the job as well.

So who is the real Kubiak? That answer is twofold. Gary Kubiak + a crap defensive coordinator is a bad head coach. Gary Kubiak + a good to great defensive coordinator is a good to potentially great head coach.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as Kubiak has a good defensive coordinator, he'll be a great head coach. But if left to his own devices, Kubiak is nothing more than an average head coach at best.

The Texans would not be the team they are without BOTH Wade Phillips and Gary Kubiak doing their thing. Take away either one of them, the team will suffer and not be the great team they are right now.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #19
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 138429 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

I sometimes wonder if Kubiak isn't a much better designer of plays than he is a caller of plays.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I know that Kubiak has a ton of national media respect, but locally, too much bitter resentment that McNair wouldn't do what the local hardcore fans wanted him to do.

The fact the team is now winning under Kubiak, is not erasing that resentment. As long as there's a zero on the right side of the dash, people will do their level best to hide that resentment.

But, wait until they lose a game, for whatever reason.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read