Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-24-2012   #141
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I thinks its time...

I've been saying that Schaub is in and out of the top ten.

There are pretty good looking young guys out there, but until they show they really belong, they aren't there yet.

VY? Man, a lot of people put him on a pedestal and look what happened?
And Tebow!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #142
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Been pointing out Schaub's shortcomings for years Tex, just because you don't remember it doesn't mean it hasn't been happening.
I know that "you" have Herv. That's what I was saying actually as far as Schaub goes. If anyone has been consistent on their dislike for Schaub it is you. These others though are back and forth on guys like Schaub and Kubiak every single week with no real identity as to what they think they're watching which gets frustrating to read and see.

Quote:
Besides, who wants to bring up the ugly truth during wins? All you get is push back from homers here who wail about you being a downer and not being able to enjoy the win. Never mind the things he can't do, they didn't cost us the game this week and the Texans will get that ironed out soon enough right?
This is true as well, and I do understand what you mean to some degree. Do you remember the thread I posted on Thanksgiving called "Same ole Sorry Kubiak?" Remember how many homers bashed me on that all because we won, and said we're 10-1!!!! Blah blah blah!! Our defense played horribly, but Schaub was great. That's not my point about that thread though. My point is that I didn't care if we won or lost. I posted that thread before the game was over, because I witnessed Kubiak do what I've seen him do for years at times that has hurt this team, and it's clear that he'll never change his philosophy no matter what the circumstances are which scares the hell out of me in big games and especially the playoffs. But I didn't care what kind of flack I'd get, because it Kubiak's blunder should have cost us that game, but since it didn't everyone acted as if almost losing with a horrible coaching blunder didn't mean anything or that it didn't happen. I've always stuck to what I've thought about Kubiak since season two, and I don't go back and forth every other week on him depending on what the team does that week. Other people do it with Schaub and Kubiak all the time though, and it makes me think less of their abilities to evaluate this stuff. NOt saying you though, because you have been consistent on your thoughts on Schaub.

Quote:
Schaub is still slow. He still loses his accuracy and makes bad decisions when he's playing in big games against quality opponents. The problems don't change.
This is somewhat true, but majority of the time he is good QB. I could say the same thing about several other good QB's as well. That's why I feel like we really need a true upgrade to replace Schaub if we are going to do that. It will take a while to upgrade most likely, and we'd have to rebuild. We're to good to think about rebuilding now.

Quote:
And you don't know anything about the QB's I listed. No more than any casual fan of the game. What they could or could not do here is beyond your or my ability to accurately predict. I said they were worth a look, nothing more. If you never look for a better QB you're guaranteed not to find one
Not a guarantee and I think we should look, but free agency wise the odds are extremely thin and Schaub is not bad to the point where I'd want to take those odds with a guy like that.

Quote:
I think the Texans need to start the process of looking for that guy. Matt Schaub has hit his ceiling.
Yes, he has hit his ceiling, but that doesn't mean he can't stay at that ceiling for a while. Schaub's leadership has gotten us a great season, and will have us with a bye in the playoffs. That's pretty good to start with for the playoffs. But Schaub will only be as good as his counterparts and I understand that. I can't expect Schaub to be something he isn't.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #143
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Delete
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #144
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Where was all of this stuff before the Patriots game?? The Texans lose and all of a sudden our offense is nothing despite what they have put up on the scoreboard all season long.

You sound like every other over reactive guy I've heard all season long.

1. First it was AJ is done and we need to find his replacement, because he isn't the same. I laughed at the guys saying that.

2. Last week and the week before Arian Foster was all of a sudden trash despite the great season he has had amongst his other RB peers.

3. Now Schaub sucks and he isn't worth a damn and all the success is because of his counter parts despite no other Texans QB in their history ever being any good with the same guys.

You guys change up this stuff from week to week I swear. Lol!

U think my critique of schaub just started? I just don't keep harping on the same thing all the time cause it gets old and I've seen this story. He's a modern day trent green. Nothing bad about that, its just what it is. As I've stated before, if schaub is the guy,he needs playmakers all over the field. Its not a knock on matt ryan,but at least they kinda indentified that when they moved up and got julio jones. I'm not saying they will go far or win it,but after the packers beat them down,they noticed they didn't have the weapons needed to beat high end teams.
Old 12-24-2012   #145
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
What rounds were russel wilson, kirk cusins, and colin kapernek drafted in? I dont believe any of them were first rounders. I dunno why finding new talent seems so impossible to some...especially when we have the luxry of letting him sit for a year or 2.
Just saying, we don't know how any of these guys are going to turn out. I remember when "the league" thought Shuan King was the next best thing, or Bruce Gradkowski, Aaron Brooks, Josh Freeman, Vince Young, Mark Sanchez, and on & on.... the jury is out on Superman Cam Newton when just last year he was "changing the game."

RG3, Luck, Wilson, Kaepernick... for all we know, Tannerhill may be the best of the bunch. Talented, yes. Everyone of them. But so were all the guys I already mentioned.
Old 12-24-2012   #146
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I get a kick out of the stats thing...

We have a top TE, a potential hall of fame wr, a ok group of wr's, a top 5 rb that can run and catch, two probowl caliber olinemen, a good back up rb...a good back up TE. A versatile fb that can make plays when given a chance...we have a greT offensive mind in kubiak that has win superbowls as a coach...
..and on top of that the qb is not Blaine gabbert.

We SHOULD be good and put up numbers.

Schaub has put up good numbers, but he's not this 2nd tier guy people want to make him out to be. He's a good back up.

Schaub doesn't bring a whole lot to the table really.
eh.... we've seen Schaub play well. We've seen him play at a pro-bowl level..... nigh elite.

But never when it counted, or meant anything to the magnitude of these last few games.

What was that, that Mike Lombardi said

Old 12-24-2012   #147
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
eh.... we've seen Schaub play well. We've seen him play at a pro-bowl level..... nigh elite.

But never when it counted, or meant anything to the magnitude of these last few games.

What was that, that Mike Lombardi said

I've seen a lot of players play well.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2012   #148
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6816 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I think you have no legit plan at getting someone better at this point which makes this silly. You don't replace a QB unless you have someone in mind that is legitamitely better that your team can actually get their hands on.
There alot of fans who don't understand the game. People were cheering when TJ was introduced yesterday; too many people for them all to be bandwagon fans :|
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #149
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6816 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I've been saying that Schaub is in and out of the top ten.

There are pretty good looking young guys out there, but until they show they really belong, they aren't there yet.

VY? Man, a lot of people put him on a pedestal and look what happened?
And Tebow!
Most of the 'new breed' QBs are mobile and can get themselves out of trouble. Schaub can't; our offense depends on being able to block the pass rush. When we can't, it just isn't going to happen.
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #150
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Schaub = Gifford Neilson (not that there is anything wrong with that)
yep.

Schaub is our version of Warren Moon, though (Moon was a better QB overall).

Both could post great regular season statistics.

Both folded in big games.

Both have franchises that will not let them go until they are no longer on playoff caliber teams.

The Texans are not letting go of Schaub even if a viable alternative was available. Anyone that has watched this team for any length of time and has any understanding of Kubiak & Co. should know that we will have to make the best of Schaub and Kubiak for at least another 2-3 years.
Old 12-24-2012   #151
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
You're right dude, I spent a few thousand dollars in October to fly to Houston with my wife to see the Ravens and met with some of the Blue crew because Im a bandwagon jumper, I have a ****ing tattoo on my arm and named my dog Texan because Im a bandwagon jumper, go **** yourself
Don't mean crap. If you weren't a bandwagoner, you'd fly down for all our games. & you wouldn't put a tattoo on your ***ing arm. You'd do something like this.....

psssh...... fan my azz
Old 12-24-2012   #152
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131162 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just saying, we don't know how any of these guys are going to turn out. I remember when "the league" thought Shuan King was the next best thing, or Bruce Gradkowski, Aaron Brooks, Josh Freeman, Vince Young, Mark Sanchez, and on & on.... the jury is out on Superman Cam Newton when just last year he was "changing the game."

RG3, Luck, Wilson, Kaepernick... for all we know, Tannerhill may be the best of the bunch. Talented, yes. Everyone of them. But so were all the guys I already mentioned.
I can agree with everything you say here but we are wasting a resource. Kubiak is allegedly a quarterback guru. Some of the talents you mentioned wouldve done much better with the right coaching. In his time here kubiak could've groomed multiple quarterbacks with superior physical talent to schaub. Instead he seems content. Maybe its an ego thing. Maybe he's so intent on proving how great his schemes are that he balks at superior talent. How ridiculous is it that we run a boot leg offense with a qb who cant run? If receivers are covered for longer then 3.5 seconds the play is dead because schaub cant create anything on his own.
Old 12-24-2012   #153
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by robroy72 View Post
Most of the 'new breed' QBs are mobile and can get themselves out of trouble. Schaub can't; our offense depends on being able to block the pass rush. When we can't, it just isn't going to happen.
It works both ways.
We've seen turnovers or injuries when a player tries to do too much.

The conservative approach is boring, but it gives you a better percentage to finish the marathon.

In the play-offs, that's when I expect the players to leave nothing on the field and to go for all the marbles.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #154
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I can agree with everything you say here but we are wasting a resource. Kubiak is allegedly a quarterback guru. Some of the talents you mentioned wouldve done much better with the right coaching. In his time here kubiak could've groomed multiple quarterbacks with superior physical talent to schaub. Instead he seems content.
It's funny how we remember what we want to remember.

He's had guys much more athletically inclined than Matt Schaub. David Carr for one. Sage Rosenfels, Dan Orlovsky.....

We've also been bringing QBs in pretty consistently & none of them have stuck. Jared Zebransky I thought was most promising.
Old 12-24-2012   #155
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131162 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's funny how we remember what we want to remember.

He's had guys much more athletically inclined than Matt Schaub. David Carr for one. Sage Rosenfels, Dan Orlovsky.....

We've also been bringing QBs in pretty consistently & none of them have stuck. Jared Zebransky I thought was most promising.
Carr was a shell of himself when kubiak got here. Sage was a career journey man bandaide, and orlavsky's claim to fame was leading a 1-15 team and stepping out the back of the endzone. Outside of investing a 5th round pick in yates the texans havent given themselves any chance of upgrading the position. And their to proud to after the trade investment. My complaint isnt that they havent found someone else...its that they havent given themselves any chance for an upgrade. Kubiak is all in with schaub...zero contingency.
Old 12-24-2012   #156
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can agree with everything you say here but we are wasting a resource. Kubiak is allegedly a quarterback guru. Some of the talents you mentioned wouldve done much better with the right coaching. In his time here kubiak could've groomed multiple quarterbacks with superior physical talent to schaub. Instead he seems content. Maybe its an ego thing. Maybe he's so intent on proving how great his schemes are that he balks at superior talent. How ridiculous is it that we run a boot leg offense with a qb who cant run? If receivers are covered for longer then 3.5 seconds the play is dead because schaub cant create anything on his own.
Just another instance of Kubiak showing too much loyalty. Just like he did with his defensive coordinators. McNair had to step in and make him make a change. Hopefully Kkubiak learned his lesson. I doubt it! My money is on Kubiak sticking with Schaub till the end and costing him his job.
Old 12-24-2012   #157
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Carr was a shell of himself when kubiak got here. Sage was a career journey man bandaide, and orlavsky's claim to fame was leading a 1-15 team and stepping out the back of the endzone. Outside of investing a 5th round pick in yates the texans havent given themselves any chance of upgrading the position. And their to proud to after the trade investment. My complaint isnt that they havent found someone else...its that they havent given themselves any chance for an upgrade. Kubiak is all in with schaub...zero contingency.
But Schaub sucks remember? This whole stat thing is Kubiak's sytem right?

If all we need is a guy who is more athletic than Schaub, why haven't any of them stuck?

& if the Texans are satisfied with Schaub, why would they invest anything more than a 5th round pick? I can see being upset if we weren't taking flyers. But we are & have been. Even through free agency.

The only reason San Fran used a 2nd on Kaepernick, was because Alex Smith sucked. Try to remember how he played before Harbaugh. Back to before Harbaugh drafted Kaepernick. It's not like they went to the NFC Championship game & decided to draft a QB.
Old 12-24-2012   #158
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
My money is on Kubiak sticking with Schaub till the end and costing him his job.
If we win the division & do nothing else for the next 5 years, Kubiak isn't going anywhere.
Old 12-25-2012   #159
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I can see being upset if we weren't taking flyers. But we are & have been. Even through free agency.

The only reason San Fran used a 2nd on Kaepernick, was because Alex Smith sucked. Try to remember how he played before Harbaugh. Back to before Harbaugh drafted Kaepernick. It's not like they went to the NFC Championship game & decided to draft a QB.
Orlavsky and Yates are the only thing you could argue as flyers in 6 years. Dont talk to me about undrafted free agents because they are exclusively camp fodder. Kubiak is complacent with schaub...he is the status que. We can win with schaub but words like great and dynasty wont happen while he's here. Schaub is not a guy who can win 3-4 games a season single handedly. He just isnt. Look past the sugar coating of a 12 win season and stop lying to yourself.
Old 12-25-2012   #160
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Orlavsky and Yates are the only thing you could argue as flyers in 6 years. Dont talk to me about undrafted free agents because they are exclusively camp fodder. Kubiak is complacent with schaub...he is the status que. We can win with schaub but words like great and dynasty wont happen while he's here. Schaub is not a guy who can win 3-4 games a season single handedly. He just isnt. Look past the sugar coating of a 12 win season and stop lying to yourself.
2012:

Denver
Jax
Det

Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read