Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

So, Reliant is getting a badass new display screen

qqert

Rookie
i hope they put it to the side/ends.
having one in the middle wouldnt make sense w. a retractable roof!

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
i hope they put it to the side/ends.
having one in the middle wouldnt make sense w. a retractable roof!
The article seemed to imply that the current setup would be replaced by the TV. I'm thinking less advertising space and more screen. Love this idea! Thank you, Texans!!

Now... to await the upcoming season ticket holder bill...

TxDavid

Veteran
The article seemed to imply that the current setup would be replaced by the TV. I'm thinking less advertising space and more screen. Love this idea! Thank you, Texans!!

Now... to await the upcoming season ticket holder bill...
Well, we all knew the prices were going up next year again anyways, so at least we get a pretty cool video board. And I hope you're right & they get rid of the ads and make it fit the whole area. I haven't missed a home game since 2003 and I can't tell you the names of any of those advertisers.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
Well, we all knew the prices were going up next year again anyways, so at least we get a pretty cool video board. And I hope you're right & they get rid of the ads and make it fit the whole area. I haven't missed a home game since 2003 and I can't tell you the names of any of those advertisers.
I'm certain Coca cola is one. Maybe HEB?

My only concern with this is... they remove the closed captioning feature because of size. They have captioning for the games but it's poorly placed and is within that billboard. Despite that, I appreciated it. They are not legally obligated to caption them.

TxDavid

Veteran
I'm certain Coca cola is one. Maybe HEB?

My only concern with this is... they remove the closed captioning feature because of size. They have captioning for the games but it's poorly placed and is within that billboard. Despite that, I appreciated it. They are not legally obligated to caption them.
I can tell you that I look to the captioning many times also, Nitro. Especially when the refs are talking and the crowd is loud. It is a valuable resource that affects many people, on both sides of the hearing spectrum.

When I was in Detroit, they did not offer closed captioning in the stadium, and the crowd was so rambunctious that we had no idea what the refs said on the non-TD. We didn't find out until after the game.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
I can tell you that I look to the captioning many times also, Nitro. Especially when the refs are talking and the crowd is loud. It is a valuable resource that affects many people, on both sides of the hearing spectrum.

When I was in Detroit, they did not offer closed captioning in the stadium, and the crowd was so rambunctious that we had no idea what the refs said on the non-TD. We didn't find out until after the game.
You know what? Anybody can respond. I'm curious... how can we let the Texans know to encourage them to keep the captioning? I would like to write them a letter. I'm excited about the big screen but I am increasingly concerned that it will push the captioning off the board.

AnthonyE

Lurker
Sh*t. We have a real problem then.
I saw that image a few months ago here on TT, so I'm guessing its just a fan image. Hopefully they dont get rid of the captioning, I don't think they will. Aspect ratio on that screen is pretty ridiculous. I figure they'll keep it at 16:9.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I saw that image a few months ago here on TT, so I'm guessing its just a fan image. Hopefully they dont get rid of the captioning, I don't think they will. Aspect ratio on that screen is pretty ridiculous. I figure they'll keep it at 16:9.
Yeah... since it won't be completed until next August, that's got to be a fan's rendition.

I'd go ahead and write your letter Nitro.
Can't hurt.
Maybe send a note to T.C.'s blog, put the Chronic to good use.
And if you start some sort of petition to send Uncle Bob's way, I'll sign it.
:pepper:

False Start

On # 69
Yeah, I figured as much.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
52 feet tall and 277 feet wide.............a wingspan greater than a BOEING 747!

Now poor Jerruh is going to have to tear down his new stadium, replace his video board with a bigger one........and then build a newer bigger stadium around it.:vincepalm:

Mimayer1985

Practice Squad
That's insanity and that its actually two of them will make Jerry cry at night. Can't wait to be able to say yeah we got a better team and two screens bigger than your one

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
If one of you are radio station callers, PLEASE ask about closed captioning. It has to be asked. I am going attempt to write a letter sometime this weekend but need to know their intent regarding captioning options.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
If one of you are radio station callers, PLEASE ask about closed captioning. It has to be asked. I am going attempt to write a letter sometime this weekend but need to know their intent regarding captioning options.
I'm curious - what exactly is close captioned on the existing video displays? (And I only ask that because I've never considered these huge displays in noisy venues such as reliant to really have any audio function to begin with).

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
I'm curious - what exactly is close captioned on the existing video displays? (And I only ask that because I've never considered these huge displays in noisy venues such as reliant to really have any real audio function to begin with).
I'm ASSUMING everything that's said over the PA system (NOT what's being broadcast on regular TV). The current captioning is poorly located. It is to the right and upper of the screens on both ends of the stadium. PAST the advertisements which is why it's poorly located. Needs to be closer to the screen. Like I said, I still appreciated it tremendously.

2012Champs

Hall of Fame
I heard on the radio this morning that this will be paid for by tax payers...Is that accurate?

yes the Texans and the Rodeo will loan some of the money to get the project going and then will be paid back by the sports authority through the taxes collected for the hotel/rental car tax

michaelm

vox nihili
I'm ASSUMING everything that's said over the PA system (NOT what's being broadcast on regular TV). The current captioning is poorly located. It is to the right and upper of the screens on both ends of the stadium. PAST the advertisements which is why it's poorly located. Needs to be closer to the screen. Like I said, I still appreciated it tremendously.
I'm going to guess that closed captioning will still be displayed on this new video board. I agree with the earlier comments saying that the replay video will take up a 16x9 area in the center of the board, and advertising, stats, closed captioning, etc... will be displayed on the sides of the replay video area. just a guess, though.

Mimayer1985

Practice Squad
So yeah that is an extraordinary long video board. Is gotta have digital ads and stuff cause if it were full video picture Aj will look like a 400lbs nose tackle. There's goin to be a bunch of different images on the screen at once. I have a feeling that the actual game replays and stuff aren't goin to be much bigger than we already have. What's the size of them now

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think it's great and hope it is similar to Cowboys than Toyota. IMO, Toyota's new screen is too busy.

Glad some of the fans have soften a bit about the big screens because I remember the comments about ours up to hoping someone would kick a ball and break it. :)

TD

Super Bowl Mascot
I heard on the radio this morning that this will be paid for by tax payers...Is that accurate?
Sort of LINK

The new boards are expected to cost about $16 million. Commissioners are still negotiating the details but tell us they will be paid for with county restoration funds. The Houston Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo will loan the county money up-front.

"The money that goes into this R&R fund comes from hotel/motel tax, rental car tax, from the ticket tax," Shafer said.

"So is there any chance that ticket prices could go up to help pay for this?" we asked Shafer.

"No, not at all," he said.
Seems like it is being paid for as it should. I read the old boards are at the end of their life cycle anyway, so its not like spending for spending's sake.

Ntiro - Sounds to me like you should not only contact the Texans but also the Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation about Closed Captioning. I would think all events....especially the rodeo would benefit from an upgraded CC system.....My hearing is fine and I can't make out the PA 1/2 the time.

AnthonyE

Lurker
Sort of LINK

Seems like it is being paid for as it should. I read the old boards are at the end of their life cycle anyway, so its not like spending for spending's sake.

Ntiro - Sounds to me like you should not only contact the Texans but also the Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation about Closed Captioning. I would think all events....especially the rodeo would benefit from an upgraded CC system.....My hearing is fine and I can't make out the PA 1/2 the time.
Yeah, the south EZ's board's little pixels go out pretty regularly. I thought they should have been replaced last year or the year before.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
I love my city:

First domed stadium-------> Eighth Wonder of the World

Invention of astroturf

Invention of the "flak-jacket"

First retactable roof....... In the NFL, that is. (Reliant)

Largest screen in the NFL (Reliant), circa 2002

Closest seats to the playing field (Reliant), circa 2002

First (actually second, only to the Astrodome) with a natural surface in a dome stadium), circa 1965, circa 2002

Toyota Center with the largest screen in the NBA.

And finally now, we'll have the biggest screens (again, for the second time)... Suck it Jerrah!!!

Premier

Rookie
i like how all 3 of our major stadiums/arenas have giant boards..

[imgwidthsize=600]http://www.stadiumpage.com/mmp/MMP_042611_board1.jpg[/IMG]
[imgwidthsize=600]http://p.twimg.com/A60DcA5CcAIONHZ.jpg:large[/IMG]
[imgwidthsize=600]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-kx9IuCEAA5Ajd.jpg:large[/IMG]

Last edited:

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member

OK, time to bring back up something that I thought of a few years ago. That was to recreate or animate some of the old Astrodome scoreboard features like the bull and shooting cowboy and have it play on the new scoreboard every once in awhile as a tribute to Houston sports history. This could easily be animated and played on the new scoreboard.

I love my city:

First domed stadium-------> Eighth Wonder of the World

Invention of astroturf

Invention of the "flak-jacket"

First retactable roof....... In the NFL, that is. (Reliant)

Largest screen in the NFL (Reliant), circa 2002

Closest seats to the playing field (Reliant), circa 2002

First (actually second, only to the Astrodome) with a natural surface in a dome stadium), circa 1965, circa 2002

Toyota Center with the largest screen in the NBA.

And finally now, we'll have the biggest screens (again, for the second time)... Suck it Jerrah!!!
I'm shocked you didn't mention the birthplace of the breast implant!

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm shocked you didn't mention the birthplace of the breast implant!
LOL - The real Silicon Valley. (I remember that from The Crooked E)

Oh, the scoreboard that displays Houston football history is pretty cool. I was really disappointed when Bud had the old scoreboard modified.

qqert

Rookie
Here's a better visualization of just how big the new Reliant Stadium display boards will be. Graphic courtesy of Bleacher Report via Reddit. Info: http://bit.ly/WpH0b3 — with Jon Voreh, Ivan Austin and Alfredo Guerra.