Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 08-14-2013   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default It's official: Fate of Astrodome to be decide by voters in November

Link

Quote:
The fate of a plan to renovate the Astrodome, an iconic stadium that has fallen into disrepair since it was shuttered four years ago, will be in voters’ hands this fall.

Harris County commissioners on Tuesday unanimously approved placing a measure on the Nov. 5 ballot that will ask voters to authorize up to $217 million in bonds to turn the stadium into a giant convention center and exhibition space.
County commissioners said it was important that voters decide the Astrodome’s future.

They stressed that voters must understand that approval of the measure would lead to a property tax increase of about half a cent per $100 of assessed value. Officials said they will try to make that as clear as possible on the ballot measure. On a house valued at about $200,000 and with a homestead exemption, the tax bill would go up about $8 per year, officials said.

County Judge Ed Emmett said for those who care about the future of the Astrodome, whether they support revamping the structure or getting rid of it, “this is where it begins.”

“We have to give it to the voters. We can’t just leave the Astrodome sitting out in the parking lot like an old rusting ship,” said Emmett, adding that whenever he gives speeches, people ask him about the fate of the structure.

Emmett said if the ballot measure fails, the Astrodome probably would be demolished.
Regardless of how I feel, or how anyone else feels about what to do with the dome, I never thought I'd see the day where they'd actually let the voters decide.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: It's official: Fate of Astrodome to be decide by voters in November

There is no clause to what happens if the referendum fails........therefore, there is no "then we tear it down" results........probably more thinking about it and more proposals until there is finally a true solution or a decision to tear it down.......at the last minute.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #3
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Link

Regardless of how I feel, or how anyone else feels about what to do with the dome, I never thought I'd see the day where they'd actually let the voters decide.
I've heard this story. Not that it's a big deal, but a half-cent tax per $100 on a $200,000 home is $10; not $8.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #4
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
I've heard this story. Not that it's a big deal, but a half-cent tax per $100 on a $200,000 home is $10; not $8.
And most assuredly no taxes ever go away. No new taxes, level the thing and be done with it... Or build a bitching wave pool!
Old 08-14-2013   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Even though I rent an apartment, property tax does affect me in a minor way as it gets passed along to all the renters. I am against any public money going towards the Astrodome. Period. On the other hand, if this isn't passed, then Houston will doddle around for another four of five years trying to make up their figging minds. Somehow I'd just as soon go against my principles and vote for the tax increase just to get this issue a conclusion.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
There is no clause to what happens if the referendum fails........therefore, there is no "then we tear it down" results........probably more thinking about it and more proposals until there is finally a true solution or a decision to tear it down.......at the last minute.
That's dumb. There should be a clear cut decision to tax & build or just level it and plant a tree.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I am against any public money going towards the Astrodome. Period.
The city owns it. They are responsible for it.

What you should be angry about is them trying to get a new tax instead of digging into the budget and finding the money to solve the problem.
Old 08-14-2013   #8
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 19952 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
That's dumb. There should be a clear cut decision to tax & build or just level it and plant a tree.
My thoughts exactly. This really isn't leaving the Dome's fate up to voters. This is a "vote for this, or things stay the same". I second the leveling it and creating a park/green space/tailgating area. The problem with that option is it makes the most sense for the citizens, but there's no money in that for businessmen.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #9
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45032 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

If it does turn into a convention center, it will contribute to the city revenue when in use. (Mostly by the private businesses that would rent it out)

Anyone that's ever been to the GRB will realize there are exhibits that travel the country too large for it -- that would be quite comfortable in a gutted/renovated dome.

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #10
Vinnie
with an I E

Rep Power: 19952 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
If it does turn into a convention center, it will contribute to the city revenue when in use. (Mostly by the private businesses that would rent it out)

Anyone that's ever been to the GRB will realize there are exhibits that travel the country too large for it -- that would be quite comfortable in a gutted/renovated dome.

TJ
So we spend millions on renovating a dilapidated stadium for an event or two a year? That makes no sense. The city already has all the convention space it needs.
Old 08-14-2013   #11
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45032 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not saying I would have converted it into a convention center. I would have done something much different with it. But in terms of the city spending/throwing away millions, and getting nothing in return -- get used to it.

Lakewood Church, Astroworld property, Metro light rail, etc. etc.

And yes, some conventions can make millions in just a day or two (political party conventions can bring in as much money to the local economy as a superbowl..)

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
So we spend millions on renovating a dilapidated stadium for an event or two a year? That makes no sense. The city already has all the convention space it needs.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #12
Vinnie
with an I E

I just don't see it. We're talking about $217 million. That would take an enormous amount of conventions to recoup, even super bowl size ones. I guess I'm a pessimist, but I just don't see this as a very viable option at all.
Old 08-14-2013   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I just don't see it. We're talking about $217 million. That would take an enormous amount of conventions to recoup, even super bowl size ones. I guess I'm a pessimist, but I just don't see this as a very viable option at all.
Yep

Looks like BoB and HLSR are going to get their way.

A privately renovated dome could've been so much more. You should check out some of the futuristic designs that private developers came up with. But the HSLR/BoB/Politicians cant get their cut.

I will be voting for the proposal. Investing in the future is the only way Houston will become a place that people will want to visit. (The cost is less than a case of beer a yr) BTW, Will this be ready for the 2017 Super Bowl?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #14
since02
"Step 1"

Rep Power: 0 since02 since02 since02 since02 since02 since02 since02 since02 since02 since02 since02

Tear it down.... Build a retail/food/shopping courtyard area with a houston sports museum in it.
since02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #15
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

$10 to save the dome? Where do I send in my money?

And for those who oppose due to them wanting public funding, remember they want even more public funded money to tear it down.

Hell you are paying for the damn thing now just letting it sit there. No matter what, renovate, destroy, or sit, you are paying for it.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
And for those who oppose due to them wanting public funding, remember they want even more public funded money to tear it down.
I don't know where you got that from. Estimates are all over the map, but the highest I've heard so far is $80 million, and the most common is around $24 mil.

This "vote" is nothing but a charade anyway. Even I know that. Most of who will be voting, particularly in the suburbs, couldn't give a tinker's dam about sports venues. And just wait until the "no new taxes" crowd gets a hold of it.

This is all just a carefully crafted scheme to tear the thing down in a way that minimizes the political blowback.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #17
Vinnie
with an I E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Hell you are paying for the damn thing now just letting it sit there. No matter what, renovate, destroy, or sit, you are paying for it.
Exactly, let's pay less and get it done with. If these renovations are done, not only will it cost more, you'll likely just have to turn around and renovate the damn thing again 15 years. It's time to stop the bleeding and be done with it.
Old 08-14-2013   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been on both sides of this issue over the years. Lately I've been tired of hearing about it so I just said tear it down.

However, if you strip away the nostalgia, the fact of the matter is that the building is an asset to the city. Regardless of it's current state, the place was built to last a long time. They built that thing expecting it to be there a century from now. Structurally, there is nothing wrong with it.

I hate to see taxes raised, but I also hate to see something potentially useful and beneficial to the city be thrown away.
Old 08-14-2013   #20
Kgbmedic
M1 Tanker

Rep Power: 4499 Kgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respected

If this passes I expect it to be renovated then sold to a private company,with the tax payers getting the raw end of the deal. You know like the toll roads.
Kgbmedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read