Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2012   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brooks Reed returns to practice, has “good shot” to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
It's no secret that I'm not a huge fan of what Merci brings to the table, but he has something that Reed nor Barwin have when it comes to pass rushing....quickness...

Sadly, he's the best outside rusher we have had right now although I keep hearing Barwin is about to put it all back together again...

If JJ Watt keeps playing like he has and Antonio stays kind of steady, they can mask that problem....against teams like the Colts...

When it comes to better teams we are probably going to struggle because there are rare times when those top QB's take sacks and we need to be able to capitalize when they hold the ball too long...

I'm fine with having Reed play in the middle on a limited basis. Give him some simple assignments..rush him up the middle...Whatever...

What I don't want to see is...OK Reed...You're a MLB now.
I think he will be used in a rotation with Barwin and Mercilus, but also sees sometimes at ILB in our 5-3 front like I mention in the other thread (when the Viking go with 22 or 13 personnel.)

That is, if he's healthy enough to get more than 15 snaps.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #22
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Re. yesterday's practice:

Quote:
Head Coach Gary Kubiak

(on which players were not at practice) “As far as practice, the only guy who did not practice was (CB) Alan Ball, he stayed in the training room. But (OLB) Brooks (Reed) was back to work. And we were pretty light today. He was fine at practice. We’ll know more about him tomorrow as we push the tempo of what we’re doing. But everybody was out there.”

(on if there is a shot for OLB Brooks Reed to play this Sunday) ”I think there’s a good shot. It’s going to depend on how he comes out. He probably actually worked a little harder than anybody today, just to kind of test it a little bit. And then tomorrow is our work day, so we’ll see how he comes out of that. We’re working toward him being available and him being a part of this game. It’s kind of been our goal ever since this happened. Hopefully we’re at the end of the week feeling good about it and he’s ready to play.”

(on possibly having OLB Brooks Reed back) “It’s very important because first off, he’s got to get his confidence back going into January. That’s extremely important. He gives us a three-man rotation again that we feel comfortable about. Not that we don’t feel comfortable with (OLB Bryan) Braman, but he just does so much on special teams. So it gets us back to – well I’ve give you a good example, when (NT Sean) Cody plays, you see how (DE) J.J. (Watt) and (DE) Antonio (Smith), how fresh they are. Now Brooks comes back and (OLB) Whitney (Mercilus) is able to rotate in there. We get more fresh once again and we just play better. Hopefully we’re on the right track here and he holds up and is ready to go.”

(on OLB Brooks Reed) “Yeah, he’s a SAM linebacker, a line-of-scrimmage guy on the tight end, that’s what he does best. Yeah, that can help us. But at the same time, he’s not going to go from 0 to 70. We can’t do that. So (OLB) Connor (Barwin) still has to play the SAM position and (OLB) Whitney (Mercilus) the WILL and Connor can swing. But just playing all three should make us better.”

(on OLB Connor Barwin moving to the strong side) “Yeah, I think that’s a change. It’s a hell of a change in scheme and what you’re doing. All of a sudden you become much more of a dropper than a pass rusher in a lot of situations. But he’ very unselfish, did his job, and I know it’s been an adjustment and he’s played very hard. We get (OLB) Brooks (Reed) he can go back to his comfort zone coming off the edge. Hopefully we all hold up and that does happen.”
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #23
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is good to get him SOME game time. Otherwise his first game back could be the first playoff game...not sure I like that. Let him work off some rust now.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #24
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Brooks had limited participation in practice today.
Old 12-20-2012   #25
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Hmm. On the HT.com official Texans Injury report Reed is listed as "limited." This contradicts Kubiaks chronicle.
Quote:
Head Coach Gary Kubiak

(on the team’s health) “The only guy that didn’t practice today was (CB) Alan (Ball) once again. (OLB) Brooks (Reed) took a full load today at practice, so that’s an encouraging sign. All indications are he’ll be okay as long as he makes it through the week and should be ready to go, so that’s where we’re at physically.”

Reed himself is very optimistic.

Quote:

OLB Brooks Reed

(on if he’s anxious to get back) “It’s pretty tough to watch. I can’t wait to get out there and get back into it. It’s a great time to come back and do that. We’re facing a great team. It’s going to be fun to try to contribute.”

(on how he approached his rehab) “I’ve been doing it every day, all day since it happened. I’ve come back a lot sooner than people predicted. That’s what I expected to come back quicker than expected and perform as good or if not better than how I was performing before I hurt myself.”

(on his tenacity at his position) “I feel like I’ve been kind of caged up a little bit and got to let out some frustration a little bit. I’m just real excited to come back out and get back on the field instead of watching on the sidelines or on the TV so it’s going to be a lot of fun.”

(on returning to practice) “It felt really good. It’s all that camaraderie and being out there and going through practice, just really kind of testing it out instead of just running out there by yourself testing it. You’re out there pushing guys, but it felt good. Everything feels really good and I’m ready to go.”

(on facing Vikings RB Adrian Peterson) “We all look forward to it. It is a challenge for us, but this is our chance to show that we have a good run defense.”

(on if he has any limitations right now with his groin) “No, I’m ready to go. I just don’t see myself re-hurting it. I think it’s even better than it was before I hurt it. It’s good to go.”
Old 12-20-2012   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be surprised if McClain fell asleep at practice, if he did even attend a part of practice.
Old 12-20-2012   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Just saw Reed on the local news. He looks good even though it was without pad and at half speed.

He said he's ready to go.
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2012   #28
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53040 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good, good, good. This can really help our defense. I'm excited to get him back.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #29
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Reed was limited practice again today (along with 8 or 9 other guys), but still listed as probable for Sunday.

In fact, with the exception of Alan Ball (who's out), there's not a single player on the injury report who's not probable.

LINK
Old 12-22-2012   #30
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm curious as to why there are still some that don't think our pass rush has gotten better with Mercilus in the lineup?

12 sacks in the last 3 games (granted only 1 in the loss), but that's still a good pace.

The team is tied for 2nd with 42 trailing only the Bengals with 43.

They do have one player with almost half, but that's going to happen when you have someone with almost 20 at this point. Aldon Smith has more than half of the sacks for the 49ers.

During the Mario years all we heard was that he's getting other people sacks because of the attention he's getting. Mercilus offers something that the offense has to consider and that can help the rest of the D.

I don't feel he's the 2nd coming of Von Miller, but he was also drafted a lot later than Miller or Smith was. He wasn't graded as well either. He's young and should improve. He's a more consistent threat that Barwin's ever been in his time here.
Old 12-22-2012   #31
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Well, you know.
They only have 42 sacks, trailing the leader by 1.
They need to be in first place.

They are still 2 short of the number from last year.
They should eclipse that already by 10 or something.
Old 12-22-2012   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Hey, in the Friday practice report notes, I caught Kubiak saying that Reed will start the game this Sunday.
Old 12-22-2012   #33
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Hey, in the Friday practice report notes, I caught Kubiak saying that Reed will start the game this Sunday.
I saw that also. First week back I hope to see them significantly limit his reps, especially if they are going to put him in as ILB where he will be putting maximal strain on that healing groin, trying to run through and stop AP and the heavy duty front of the Vikings.
Old 12-22-2012   #34
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I saw that also. First week back I hope to see them significantly limit his reps, especially if they are going to put him in as ILB where he will be putting maximal strain on that healing groin, trying to run through and stop AP and the heavy duty front of the Vikings.
Wouldn't that be easier on his hammy than trying to run with TE's and running around OT's to get to the QB? Serious question. Also has there been any reliable info come out saying he's going to see time at ILB'S? I really hope to see it.
Old 12-22-2012   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Wouldn't that be easier on his hammy than trying to run with TE's and running around OT's to get to the QB? Serious question. Also has there been any reliable info come out saying he's going to see time at ILB'S? I really hope to see it.
It wasn't a hamstring, it was an adductor groin tear. So no.
Old 12-22-2012   #36
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
As to your ILB vs OLB, this should shed some light on the thinking.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=22
Old 12-22-2012   #37
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
As to your ILB vs OLB, this should shed some light on the thinking.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=22
Thanks C&D.
Old 12-22-2012   #38
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Reed at WILB in the 53
Old 12-22-2012   #39
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Another play:

Front view:

Old 12-22-2012   #40
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Another play against a 22 balanced look:

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read