Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-21-2012   #141
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
He has had two bad performances in prime time games this season. Fine. Now what about the rest of the season?? Why are you so obtuse to the "majority" of the season??

The only thing you Schaub bashers ever seem to come up with is that he isn't mobile. With that said, I guess you hate Manning, Brady, Warner, Eli, and Matt Ryan then. All those guys run like sloths. God forbid a QB actually knows how to make reads, make accurate throws, read defensive formations before the snap, watch film and know the tendancies of different DB's that they face from week to week.

And I'm getting sick and tired of every time the Texans lose it always becomes on Schaub somehow. Or these ridiculous complaints all seem to be the fact that Schaub isn't capable of doing what Brady or Rogers can do. So ****ing what. He isn't an elite QB. Neither are the rest of the 28 QB's behind Brady, Rogers, Brees, and Manning. No one can do what these 4 can do. I'm so tired of people's bashing of Schaub when all they do is come up with these thing about him not being able to scramble as if that's the only thing that makes a QB successful.

The minute that the Texans offense has a bad game guys like you are waiting in the wings to bash him and act like he has always been some sort of liability even though the Texans offense is 3rd in scoring this season behind the Patriots and the Broncos. Schaub's offense has put up more points then Aaron Rodgers this year and also Drew Brees. Yet, the minute he has a bad game (Which every QB has a few) you guys want to nit pick him like he is David Carr. You want David Carr back?? Hey, he was mobile!! I'd think people would appreciate having a top 10 QB year after year, but apparently this franchise needs another David Carr for some of you guys to appreciate what a top 10 QB is. There are teams like the Bears who went like 25 years without finding a quality starter before Cutler and teams like the Dolphins who still haven't found a franchise QB to replace Marino and the 49ers as well since Steve Young left. And yet, you guys can't be happy with Schaub???? I wonder how long you guys have been watching the NFL sometimes, because elite QB's don't grow on trees and you have to have basically a 1-15 type of season to obtain one.
Thank you. Thank you so much.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #142
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texecutioner View Post
his yearly totals in passing yards disagrees with that.
apples and oranges my friend.
Old 12-21-2012   #143
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You mean in that game where he couldn't even get a TD drive against the worst team in the league?? I don't want to see him, because if Yates starts against this year's Colts we will lose. This year's Colts are a good team with a great QB already. I don't care what Luck's stats say. He is already great. He'll be elite by his 3rd season and maybe by next year. Yates starts and we'll lose.

Ehhh i guess i have more confedence in our 2nd teamers then U i guess and On paper Colts D really is all that and a bag of chips yeah colts might have gotten better but does that mean Yates hasent gotten better our 2nd teir guys havent gotten better that what i wanna find out
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #144
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
His yearly passing yards totals indicates that he totes it around the field a lot. Schaub is a guy that has even led the league in passing yards before. I'm sorry, but you don't have things like that on your resume if you're a guy who can't consistently throw down the field. Schaub just doesn't throw a laser like Rogers or Favre. Brady doesn't throw a laser either though. Schaub's throws get there just fine. NO QB is always accurate, but Schaub's movement down the field comes from somewhere. Arian Foster aint throwing to Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #145
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
BS. He gets the ball down field. This season in our "run oriented offense":

Matt Schaub 42 20+ yds and 8 40+ yds.
Tom Brady 49 20+ yds and 8 40+ yds.

And please, before you come at me with YAC go have that out with the guy who told me our WR's don't get any YAC.
Old 12-22-2012   #146
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

And please, before you come at me with YAC go have that out with the guy who told me our WR's don't get any YAC.
Another thing is that a lot of Schaub's throws can be easier to catch then some of the throws from guys like Rogers or Cutler. Those guys throw with some velocity. Schaub's throws may be slower on the release slightly and with a little less zip, but they aren't smacking people's hands as hard either. II remember hearing interviews back in the day from Favre's receivers talking about how much practice you had to put in just o be able to catch his passes consistently. Either way, even if you were to think that Schaub has a noodle of an arm like some seem to feel, he's putting up really solid passing numbers year to year any way. His arm isn't a problem and it never has been.
Old 12-22-2012   #147
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He also can't hit a WR in stride more than 20 yards down field to save his life.

Old 12-22-2012   #148
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Has nothing to do with YAC. It has to do with his long ball accuracy. It's horrible. There was one game early this year where he actually threw 2 long passes that hit the WR's in stride. I thought, wow he's finally improved at it. It didn't take long to realize that those two passes were flukes. You haven't been paying attention if you think Schaub throws deep passes accurately. I don't care what stats you throw out he sucks at throwing the deep ball.

I'm not saying that Schaub sucks. Just pointing out an obvious weakness of his.
Old 12-22-2012   #149
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

And for every one he hits in stride there are 3 that he over or under throws!
Old 12-22-2012   #150
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Last game against the Colts Schaub woefully under-threw a wide open Andre Johnson, causing Johnson to make a herculian effort to catch the pass.
And comparing Manning, Brady, Warner, Eli, to Schaub is absolutely ridiculous. He's not even in the same league, seriously.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012   #151
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Another thing is that a lot of Schaub's throws can be easier to catch then some of the throws from guys like Rogers or Cutler. Those guys throw with some velocity. Schaub's throws may be slower on the release slightly and with a little less zip, but they aren't smacking people's hands as hard either. II remember hearing interviews back in the day from Favre's receivers talking about how much practice you had to put in just o be able to catch his passes consistently. Either way, even if you were to think that Schaub has a noodle of an arm like some seem to feel, he's putting up really solid passing numbers year to year any way. His arm isn't a problem and it never has been.
Let me get this straight, you want a floater throwing QB?
Did you think before you typed this?
Personally, I'd rather have a QB that throws with some serious zip.
To me the quicker a FB gets to its intended target the less likely it is to get intercepted. Almost certain it would be more accurate.
You believe receivers don't have to put in some serious practice to learn Schaub's floater balls?
Once again you're comparing Schaub to an elite QB. And once again Schaub's not even in the same league as a Favre. Believe Favre had some scrambling ability, something Schaub has never shown. Heck, even Yates showed some scrambling ability, much more than Schaub ever has.
Schaub's performances in prime time, especially against that Pats, was absolutely pitiful.
You push those glaring facts away as if they're meaningless.
As I said before, we shall see if Schaub can rise to the occasion in the play offs.
If his two prime time showings this year are any indication of how he'll rise, don't hold your breath.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012   #152
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textan View Post
Let me get this straight, you want a floater throwing QB?
I never said that. I want the guy with the zip, but that doesn't mean that I can't be happy with a guy with the floaters if he is efficient and gets the job done to have a high scoring offense. Schaub does that whether he throws 5 MPH to 100 MPH.

Quote:
You believe receivers don't have to put in some serious practice to learn Schaub's floater balls?
I never said that either. Schaub throws a very easy catchable ball though. That's what I was saying. He may not have a rocket for an arm, but he delivers the ball nicely where his receivers can can catch it comfortably. I don't have to think Schaub's throws are super pretty to appreciate his ability to find his receivers and complete his passes.

Quote:
Once again you're comparing Schaub to an elite QB. And once again Schaub's not even in the same league as a Favre. Believe Favre had some scrambling ability, something Schaub has never shown. Heck, even Yates showed some scrambling ability, much more than Schaub ever has.
Schaub's performances in prime time, especially against that Pats, was absolutely pitiful.

I'm comparing their style of throwing the ball. I'm explaining the fact that Schaub's arm has in no way shape or form stopped or prohibited him from being one of the league's better passers from year to year.

Quote:
You push those glaring facts away as if they're meaningless.
As I said before, we shall see if Schaub can rise to the occasion in the play offs.
If his two prime time showings this year are any indication of how he'll rise, don't hold your breath.
So what if Schaub plays a good game in the playoffs, but the defense doesn't play well or there are a lot of drops at opportune times?? YOu seem ready to find a reason why Schaub isn't good the minute the Texans have a loss. You're putting to much on a QB that can't and never will carry this team. He isn't that type of class QB. He does a pretty strong job overall though.
Old 12-22-2012   #153
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL.

He talks about a QB throwing balls with zip being less likely to be intercepted then brings up Brett Favre, the king of the high-risk, high-reward QBs.

You can't make this **** up.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012   #154
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And for every one he hits in stride there are 3 that he over or under throws!
That one gif was of Schaub hitting a spot on pass 55 yds down the field. Now show us one of the last 10 50 yard passes Manning or Brady made. Not highlight reels - in a row.

But tell you what, before you try to go out and do that look at these stats for passes thrown more than 40 yards:

Peyton Manning 0 of 1
Tom Brady 0 of 6
Aaron Rodgers 1 of 6
Matt Schaub 3 of 4.

To be clear that is pass thrown distance, not including any YAC.

Let's see that is the three indisputable elite QB's at 1 of 13 and Schaub at 3 of 4. Last I checked 3 was more than 1 and 4 was less than 13.

But by all means please show he has no arm or accuracy compared to the league elite of which he is clearly not a member.

* disclaimer - this is not an argument Schaub is elite - it is an observation on fans' observations.
Old 12-22-2012   #155
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Nice rant there Tex. And I agree with you. But I do think you undersell Yates.
He obviously feels Schaub is threatened by him. I don't think he undersells him at all.
Old 12-22-2012   #156
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
He obviously feels Schaub is threatened by him. I don't think he undersells him at all.
What was that like the concise version of you looking into both Tex and Schaub's minds doing a GP impersonation?
Old 12-22-2012   #157
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I never said that. I want the guy with the zip, but that doesn't mean that I can't be happy with a guy with the floaters if he is efficient and gets the job done to have a high scoring offense. Schaub does that whether he throws 5 MPH to 100 MPH.

I never said that either. Schaub throws a very easy catchable ball though. That's what I was saying. He may not have a rocket for an arm, but he delivers the ball nicely where his receivers can can catch it comfortably. I don't have to think Schaub's throws are super pretty to appreciate his ability to find his receivers and complete his passes.

I'm comparing their style of throwing the ball. I'm explaining the fact that Schaub's arm has in no way shape or form stopped or prohibited him from being one of the league's better passers from year to year.

You're putting to much on a QB that can't and never will carry this team. He isn't that type of class QB. He does a pretty strong job overall though.
Quote:
I'd trade Watt in a second to obtain RG3 or Luck. I have no doubt that both of these guys are going to be elite level QB's for a long time barring a crazy injury that effects their entire way of playing. QB is the most important position on the field to get the best player. Always has been and it always will be.
What would we gain with an elite quarterback?
Old 12-22-2012   #158
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
What was that like the concise version of you looking into both Tex and Schaub's minds doing a GP impersonation?
I seriously don't think Schaub feels threatened. No more than Watt feels threatened by Crick.
Old 12-22-2012   #159
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That one gif was of Schaub hitting a spot on pass 55 yds down the field. Now show us one of the last 10 50 yard passes Manning or Brady made. Not highlight reels - in a row.

But tell you what, before you try to go out and do that look at these stats for passes thrown more than 40 yards:

Peyton Manning 0 of 1
Tom Brady 0 of 6
Aaron Rodgers 1 of 6
Matt Schaub 3 of 4.

To be clear that is pass thrown distance, not including any YAC.

Let's see that is the three indisputable elite QB's at 1 of 13 and Schaub at 3 of 4. Last I checked 3 was more than 1 and 4 was less than 13.

But by all means please show he has no arm or accuracy compared to the league elite of which he is clearly not a member.

* disclaimer - this is not an argument Schaub is elite - it is an observation on fans' observations.
Your observation is flawed because you are using stats instead of using your eyes. That might convince a jury in a court room that hadn't actually seen the throws but doesn't mean diddly squat to me. I watch him game after game, deep throw after deep throw not hit wide open WR's in stride.

My argument isn't that he doesn't complete them, it's that he is every inaccurate, too many time under or over throws the WR to the point where the WR has to make serious adjustment to catch the ball. Just because they catch it doesn't mean it's a good throw. He just doesn't throw the deep ball well with accuracy. If you want to go back and review every deep pass he has thrown over the last couple of years go ahead you might learn something you obviously have missed.
Old 12-22-2012   #160
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Your observation is flawed because you are using stats instead of using your eyes. That might convince a jury in a court room that hadn't actually seen the throws but doesn't mean diddly squat to me. I watch him game after game, deep throw after deep throw not hit wide open WR's in stride.

My argument isn't that he doesn't complete them, it's that he is every inaccurate, too many time under or over throws the WR to the point where the WR has to make serious adjustment to catch the ball. Just because they catch it doesn't mean it's a good throw. He just doesn't throw the deep ball well with accuracy. If you want to go back and review every deep pass he has thrown over the last couple of years go ahead you might learn something you obviously have missed.
I think his numbers are spot on, as far as this conversation goes. Eyeball wise, if we saw Brady miss on all 6 of his 40+ yard passes, we'd think he was inaccurate. Peyton only attempting it one time may tell us that he "knows better" Rogers missing on 5 of 6 would also not pass the eyeball test.

However, that one pass to Walter in the gifs above, though it was a TD, that's not where I would have wanted that ball & like you said, Schaub fails the eyeball test on the 20 to 40 yard passes.

But again, I'm sure his numbers are similar to the QBs we say he isn't in the class of... Brady, Manning, Rogers.

I'm not a Schaub fan, so don't take this as me defending Schaub, only that 'cak's argument is relevant & evidence enough that the rest of us should probably reconsider our opinions of the "looks older than he really is" QB.

I'm an Aikman fan. & Troy was not very mobile. I think Troy understood ball placement much better than Schaub & his accuracy was off the chart (eyeball wise) in comparison.

But as Tex so vehemently professed, Schaub may very well be elite & we just don't know it. I know Tex didn't say it in so many words, but once you consider what Schaub has done & how long he's done it, it's kinda hard to argue. If we get to the Super Bowl & he plays the way he had at the beginning of the year (most notably Denver) or as well & efficiently as he did prior to getting hurt last year, it's going to be hard to deny & the conversation will get bigger at the national level.

Another season like this, with Schaub staying healthy, there won't be any doubt.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read