Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2012   #121
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

We shall see come play off time. So far he's shown piss poor performances in prime time games. I have no faith in Schaub, but I'd love to be proven wrong in these weeks ahead.
Yates scrambling ability last year against the Bengals during the regular season is something I've never seen Schaub even come close to doing. His last name should be Sloth.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #122
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, I do think Yates has more "upside" than Schaub, but upside and actual performance are 2 very different things. I'm also just seeing it that way based on physical ability and, no, I wouldn't put Yates and Schaub in the same dimension. Schaub knows what he's doing and is extremely careful. When he does screw up, it's because he didn't put the ball where he meant to. Yates, on the other hand, will try to become Brett Favre out there and try to thread needles he has no chance of threading. Maybe some day he will actually thread those needles; or maybe he will learn not to try. More likely, but still not guaranteed, he will do some of both some day.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #123
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot of speculative thinking in this thread.

One, Yates is a quality backup and let's leave it at that. Saying 'He WILL get better' is guesswork and hopeful theory. No one has absolutely no clue if he will get better or not. If all talented players that came into the NFL always got better then you could have a point but that is not even close. Just because Yates has our Texans colors on doesn't make him immune to the chance he doesn't develop one bit.

And let's stop with the Luck comparisons. A blind granny could know these two are not in the same league at this point. One game managed with a strong running game, offensive line and defense. The other has a below average running game, offensive line and defense while being the main cog of his offense. Even putting up his first five starts is pointless because as Texecutioner pointed out, Yates got worse as the season went on.

Can Yates develop? Sure. Anyone in the league can. But like many, I will wait to see it because all I saw of him toward the end last year and again this preseason is a guy who stared down his receivers while not going through progressions properly. Something he can learn and adapt away from but til he does it I'm not going to say 'We have the quarterback of the future!' because he managed some games last year. He has issues to fix before that. Hopefully he can but remains to be seen.

As for Cousins, it was one game. I wouldn't want to fall into the trap of going after him until the opportunity to see more. Seems Shanny grabbed him just to dish him out later so there's time there unless one of these horrible quarterbacked teams go for him since this draft isn't overly strong in that spot.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #124
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70695 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Any chance we could get Cousins from the Skins?

He looked great Sunday and if we could get him for a couple second rounders ala Shaub, would you bite?
No. Cousins was selected to back-up a mobile QB that is susceptible to injury due to the way he plays. So, you could say that he is the Redskin's insurance policy. In addition, he contract isn't very much over the four years, so I don't see it happening. Besides, Schaub is not a bad QB so I don't know what the problem seems to be.
Old 12-20-2012   #125
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
non elite qbs that would thrive in this system-
rivers, flacco, cutler, stafford, vick, freeman, ryan, romo, newton, eli, ben, rg3, luck...
I'd like to see what Kubiak could do with Rivers, but Norv is known as a QB coach. I'd give you Stafford, RG3, Rothlesberger, and Luck. But that's a #1,#2, #7, and #1 pick. Good luck getting guys like that. Also, I assume Luck will get better, but I haven't seen a guy's performance so overrated for a long time.

The others? Meh. Flacco's terrible. Cutler has already been in this system. Vick is old and always hurt. Freeman has had two good years and two bad years. And they were really bad. Ryan is about the same as Schaub but has a better complement of receivers. Eli and Romo make too many mistakes for my taste. I don't think Cam is smart enough to run our offense, but if he could....

And let's be real, whomever is here is still going to be handcuffed by wanting to run so much.
noxiousdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #126
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
And let's be real, whomever is here is still going to be handcuffed by wanting to run so much.
Yeah handcuffed to the tune of being on pace for 4000 yds passing for the fourth straight year.
Old 12-21-2012   #127
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i cant wait to see how yates plays aganist the colts maybe he can get some revenge from last year and get a W
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2012   #128
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
No. Cousins was selected to back-up a mobile QB that is susceptible to injury due to the way he plays. So, you could say that he is the Redskin's insurance policy. In addition, he contract isn't very much over the four years, so I don't see it happening. Besides, Schaub is not a bad QB so I don't know what the problem seems to be.
I don't know that you are comprehending what the word "future" means...
Old 12-21-2012   #129
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i cant wait to see how yates plays aganist the colts maybe he can get some revenge from last year and get a W
Yes, I would love for our second unit to go out and destroy the Colts, if it comes down to that. Petersons first.
Old 12-21-2012   #130
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textan View Post
We shall see come play off time. So far he's shown piss poor performances in prime time games. I have no faith in Schaub, but I'd love to be proven wrong in these weeks ahead.
Yates scrambling ability last year against the Bengals during the regular season is something I've never seen Schaub even come close to doing. His last name should be Sloth.
He has had two bad performances in prime time games this season. Fine. Now what about the rest of the season?? Why are you so obtuse to the "majority" of the season??

The only thing you Schaub bashers ever seem to come up with is that he isn't mobile. With that said, I guess you hate Manning, Brady, Warner, Eli, and Matt Ryan then. All those guys run like sloths. God forbid a QB actually knows how to make reads, make accurate throws, read defensive formations before the snap, watch film and know the tendancies of different DB's that they face from week to week.

And I'm getting sick and tired of every time the Texans lose it always becomes on Schaub somehow. Or these ridiculous complaints all seem to be the fact that Schaub isn't capable of doing what Brady or Rogers can do. So ****ing what. He isn't an elite QB. Neither are the rest of the 28 QB's behind Brady, Rogers, Brees, and Manning. No one can do what these 4 can do. I'm so tired of people's bashing of Schaub when all they do is come up with these thing about him not being able to scramble as if that's the only thing that makes a QB successful.

The minute that the Texans offense has a bad game guys like you are waiting in the wings to bash him and act like he has always been some sort of liability even though the Texans offense is 3rd in scoring this season behind the Patriots and the Broncos. Schaub's offense has put up more points then Aaron Rodgers this year and also Drew Brees. Yet, the minute he has a bad game (Which every QB has a few) you guys want to nit pick him like he is David Carr. You want David Carr back?? Hey, he was mobile!! I'd think people would appreciate having a top 10 QB year after year, but apparently this franchise needs another David Carr for some of you guys to appreciate what a top 10 QB is. There are teams like the Bears who went like 25 years without finding a quality starter before Cutler and teams like the Dolphins who still haven't found a franchise QB to replace Marino and the 49ers as well since Steve Young left. And yet, you guys can't be happy with Schaub???? I wonder how long you guys have been watching the NFL sometimes, because elite QB's don't grow on trees and you have to have basically a 1-15 type of season to obtain one.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #131
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
You mean in that game where he couldn't even get a TD drive against the worst team in the league?? I don't want to see him, because if Yates starts against this year's Colts we will lose. This year's Colts are a good team with a great QB already. I don't care what Luck's stats say. He is already great. He'll be elite by his 3rd season and maybe by next year. Yates starts and we'll lose.
Old 12-21-2012   #132
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Not saying you are wrong, but I don't recall anyone seriously suggesting that Yates should start over Schaub.

I do remember the question, "If Yates leads us to the AFC Championship game should he start over Schaub?"

Since that didn't happen, & like you said, he was dragged to a play-off victory.... the question's kinda moot.
In this thread, you're right.
But during training camp, yeah there were voices saying "keep Schaub on the PUP list and let Yates start the first 6 games" or "Trade/cut Schaub, he's damaged goods. Yates can lead this team as well as Schaub can."

Yeah... they were out there.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #133
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
But during training camp, yeah there were voices saying "keep Schaub on the PUP list and let Yates start the first 6 games" or "Trade/cut Schaub, he's damaged goods. Yates can lead this team as well as Schaub can."

YOu bet they were, and believe me I wouldn't ever take any of those people's opinion seriously as an observer of NFL QB's. Schaub may have certain limitations, but the hype on a 3rd string QB that didn't show anything as a passer has been outragious on this board. Only from Texans fans. Funny how you haven't heard any other observers outside of HOuston raving about how great Yates could be. The guy isn't even on anyone's radar. He's as irrelevant as any other 3rd string QB on teams now. People seem to forget and totally ignore that 6th round draft picks don't ever become starting QB's in this league other then like 1 out of 10 probably. But somehow Yates is this difference maker?? Lol! The guy was never even a big time prospect. And people keep talking about this mobility thing. Yates is faster then Schaub, but he isn't some super fast guy like Rogers or Manziel. He's just faster then Schaub. The guy was not improvising at all last year. He was handing the ball off and throwing down the field like 4 times a game if that.
Old 12-21-2012   #134
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
This thread is about the future after Schaub.

Personally I think we should draft any QB in the upcoming drafts that Kubiak thinks has the potential to be a replacement for Schaub in the next couple of years. If there is a QB that is available that is in his opinion head and shoulders better than Yates why wouldn't shouldn't we draft him?

Schaub hasn't exactly been the healthiest QB over his career. Not to mention he literally hasn't proved anything on the big stage yet. If he were to go down again would you be happy with Yates as our only option for the future?
Old 12-21-2012   #135
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

I remember that. We had no idea how Schaub was going to recover. Our resident doctor here said he didn't see how Schaub would be back to start the season. Who knew Schaub was going to be throwing by May.

If anything, we (yeah, I said we) were preparing ourselves for having to start the season without Schaub, based on the information we had at the time.
Old 12-21-2012   #136
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I remember that. We had no idea how Schaub was going to recover. Our resident doctor here said he didn't see how Schaub would be back to start the season. Who knew Schaub was going to be throwing by May.

If anything, we (yeah, I said we) were preparing ourselves for having to start the season without Schaub, based on the information we had at the time.
True statements.
But there were two distinct camps.
Those hoping like heck for Schaub to make it back because we had little or no faith in Yates becoming a long-term, NFL-quality starter...
and
Those wanting Schaub to go away - either stay on the PUP list or be traded - because they just knew Yates was either already starter quality or would be with a full off-season - OTAs/training camp/pre-season - under his belt.

I'm not saying Yates can't be starter quality some day (After all, Alex Smith did it. Took him six years but he did it.) but I don't see where he's ready now.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #137
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 219753 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
He has had two bad performances in prime time games this season. Fine. Now what about the rest of the season?? Why are you so obtuse to the "majority" of the season??

The only thing you Schaub bashers ever seem to come up with is that he isn't mobile. With that said, I guess you hate Manning, Brady, Warner, Eli, and Matt Ryan then. All those guys run like sloths. God forbid a QB actually knows how to make reads, make accurate throws, read defensive formations before the snap, watch film and know the tendancies of different DB's that they face from week to week.

And I'm getting sick and tired of every time the Texans lose it always becomes on Schaub somehow. Or these ridiculous complaints all seem to be the fact that Schaub isn't capable of doing what Brady or Rogers can do. So ****ing what. He isn't an elite QB. Neither are the rest of the 28 QB's behind Brady, Rogers, Brees, and Manning. No one can do what these 4 can do. I'm so tired of people's bashing of Schaub when all they do is come up with these thing about him not being able to scramble as if that's the only thing that makes a QB successful.

The minute that the Texans offense has a bad game guys like you are waiting in the wings to bash him and act like he has always been some sort of liability even though the Texans offense is 3rd in scoring this season behind the Patriots and the Broncos. Schaub's offense has put up more points then Aaron Rodgers this year and also Drew Brees. Yet, the minute he has a bad game (Which every QB has a few) you guys want to nit pick him like he is David Carr. You want David Carr back?? Hey, he was mobile!! I'd think people would appreciate having a top 10 QB year after year, but apparently this franchise needs another David Carr for some of you guys to appreciate what a top 10 QB is. There are teams like the Bears who went like 25 years without finding a quality starter before Cutler and teams like the Dolphins who still haven't found a franchise QB to replace Marino and the 49ers as well since Steve Young left. And yet, you guys can't be happy with Schaub???? I wonder how long you guys have been watching the NFL sometimes, because elite QB's don't grow on trees and you have to have basically a 1-15 type of season to obtain one.
Nice rant there Tex. And I agree with you. But I do think you undersell Yates.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #138
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Word.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #139
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He also can't hit a WR in stride more than 20 yards down field to save his life.
Old 12-21-2012   #140
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
He also can't hit a WR in stride more than 20 yards down field to save his life.
His yearly totals in passing yards disagrees with that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read