Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012   #61
DocBar
Hall of Fame
 
DocBar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: I'm international
Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Age: 45
Posts: 9,744
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Our offense had 100 yds less passing per game and 10 pts less per game. I don't see where this Yates love comes from.

As to the OP - why not just use one of those draft picks on a QB?

But to give you a boost with a counter - of the 2007 draft class (the year we traded for Schaub) of QB's - none are starters in the NFL. Of the 2008 draft class of QB's only the two taken in the 1st round are starters.
Yates performed well within the confines given to him and could provide more than Schaub, given the trust Schaub has. Yates was obviously limited in his games.
__________________
“Of course, if one ignores contradictory observations, one can claim to have an ‘elegant’ or ‘robust’ theory. But it isn’t science.”
— Halton Arp
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #62
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,893
Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

A few things here.

You people that continually keep bashing Matt Schaub have no ability to observe what a good QB is in the NFL. Sorry, if that sounds harsh, but Schaub continually has sustained himself as a top 10 QB and has led this team to a 12-2 record this season, and in case you guys haven't noticed the Texans are currently "3rd" in PPG for scoring in the entire league. And yet you guys have the adacity to act like Schaub isn't doing his job???? There can only be like 3 to 4 elite QB's in this league. And for you guys who want him gone or who constantly bash the guy, please suggest how a better replacement would come here? Who?? Where are the Texans going to get this elite QB from, because the next step above Schaub is an elite guy.


Now as for Yates, I'm sorry but only homers who root for the Texans think that this guy is something that is even remotely good. There wasn't any National attention being brought to the great play of TJ Yates, because there wasn't any. Yates did nothing but hand the ball off and make check down passes with an occassional down the field throw. He didn't even show any ability to make things happen on his own, he didn't show any great arm, and he was just an average QB for a rookie even. Until I see these same fans repping guys like Gabbert and Locker, then I'll just laugh at these Tj Yates comments, because it's laughable to ever suggest he should be a future starter here and to even remotely suggest that he can do better then Schaub is the poorest assessment I've ever read in a football discussion after the consistency that Schaub has shown for this team year after year. Yates looked like complete trash in the pre season this year as well. He didn't show one ounce of improvement, and that is what young QB's on the rise generally show if they are going to be the heir to the throne.

Yates = Jason Campbell, Blain Gabbert.

Most people want an upgrade to their starting QB and want to look for an elite guy. They don't look for the next Jason Campbell just because they think the guy is a nice guy or because he was some rookie that played on a great team where he got to play in the playoffs and stunk up the field against the Ravens.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #63
DocBar
Hall of Fame
 
DocBar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: I'm international
Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Age: 45
Posts: 9,744
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
A few things here.

You people that continually keep bashing Matt Schaub have no ability to observe what a good QB is in the NFL. Sorry, if that sounds harsh, but Schaub continually has sustained himself as a top 10 QB and has led this team to a 12-2 record this season, and in case you guys haven't noticed the Texans are currently "3rd" in PPG for scoring in the entire league. And yet you guys have the adacity to act like Schaub isn't doing his job???? There can only be like 3 to 4 elite QB's in this league. And for you guys who want him gone or who constantly bash the guy, please suggest how a better replacement would come here? Who?? Where are the Texans going to get this elite QB from, because the next step above Schaub is an elite guy.


Now as for Yates, I'm sorry but only homers who root for the Texans think that this guy is something that is even remotely good. There wasn't any National attention being brought to the great play of TJ Yates, because there wasn't any. Yates did nothing but hand the ball off and make check down passes with an occassional down the field throw. He didn't even show any ability to make things happen on his own, he didn't show any great arm, and he was just an average QB for a rookie even. Until I see these same fans repping guys like Gabbert and Locker, then I'll just laugh at these Tj Yates comments, because it's laughable to ever suggest he should be a future starter here and to even remotely suggest that he can do better then Schaub is the poorest assessment I've ever read in a football discussion after the consistency that Schaub has shown for this team year after year. Yates looked like complete trash in the pre season this year as well. He didn't show one ounce of improvement, and that is what young QB's on the rise generally show if they are going to be the heir to the throne.

Yates = Jason Campbell, Blain Gabbert.

Most people want an upgrade to their starting QB and want to look for an elite guy. They don't look for the next Jason Campbell just because they think the guy is a nice guy or because he was some rookie that played on a great team where he got to play in the playoffs and stunk up the field against the Ravens.
Your goat smelling ass.
Schaub has shown that he is a good "rythme" passer but doesn't have much pocket presence and has very little improvosational skills. Well, is that inate or taught? Who knows? I lean towards inate and Kubiak knows it. He'd rather play it safe with an adequate QB than risk it with one. As I said in an earlier post, which came first? Is it Kubuak limiting Schaub or Schaub limiting Kubiak? Remember that Kubiak played with AND coached Elway...
__________________
“Of course, if one ignores contradictory observations, one can claim to have an ‘elegant’ or ‘robust’ theory. But it isn’t science.”
— Halton Arp
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #64
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Texan_Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston. Mediocrity Lives Here!!
Section: Bull Pen!!
Age: 47
Posts: 48,485
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It's a no brainer: Johnny Manziel
Gig 'em!!


***************************

All kidding aside, why are we considering another QB?? Why? Because Schaub is getting old, or because many of us and by us I mean you cynical folks are just bitching for the sake of bitching???

Just stoopid.... I think some people just post shyte about things they know nothing about just to push their agenda.
__________________
We SUCK AGAIN!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #65
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan
 
ThaJokaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW Houston
Age: 24
Posts: 784
Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

A little of both?
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #66
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,893
Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Your goat smelling ass.
Schaub has shown that he is a good "rythme" passer but doesn't have much pocket presence and has very little improvosational skills. Well, is that inate or taught? Who knows? I lean towards inate and Kubiak knows it. He'd rather play it safe with an adequate QB than risk it with one. As I said in an earlier post, which came first? Is it Kubuak limiting Schaub or Schaub limiting Kubiak? Remember that Kubiak played with AND coached Elway...
I have no idea what the hell your point is in this post. You start calling me some Goat sniffer, and then go off on some tangent about Schaub and Kubiak and talking about limitations or something. Have you been drinking again tonight?

What is with this drivel about limitations? We are the 3rd highest scoring offense in the league. Sorry, but that is NOT a limitation. That is a strength. The only complaint any of you Schaub people seem to have is that he isn't mobile. Well sorry, but you don't have to be mobile to be a great QB or a good QB. Schaub is what he is. He is a very good QB. Until you can make a plan where we can go out and get an elite level guy or a guy that has that potential then stop saying we need to replace a top 10 QB, because that makes no sense when this guy leads a team who is in the top 3 in scoring offense. There have been dozens and dozens of great QB's in this league that aren't mobile.

ANd if your plan is to suggest that Yates should replace Schaub, then stop right there, because he isn't hardly mobile either. His arm isn't better then Schaub's arm no matter how slow or lobbed Schaub's arm is, and his decision making wasn't even close.

When I see you repping all these late round picks around the league season to season then I'll believe that you and a few others aren't just repping this Yates guy because he's a Texan that you had high hopes for last season. However I don't hear you advocating to bring in guys like Flynn, Tebow, Colt McCoy, Chase Daniels, and all these other guys who all showed a lot more potential then Yates ever has which may be arguable, but Yates is a bottom feeder that only played because Leinart got hurt. He was 3rd string for a reason.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #67
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Texan_Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston. Mediocrity Lives Here!!
Section: Bull Pen!!
Age: 47
Posts: 48,485
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Your goat smelling ass.
Schaub has shown that he is a good "rythme" passer but doesn't have much pocket presence and has very little improvosational skills. Well, is that inate or taught? Who knows? I lean towards inate and Kubiak knows it. He'd rather play it safe with an adequate QB than risk it with one. As I said in an earlier post, which came first? Is it Kubuak limiting Schaub or Schaub limiting Kubiak? Remember that Kubiak played with AND coached Elway...
While your words are harsh, I understand what you mean about "improvosational skills" v. being a so-called "rythem passer", but if you were to be honest with yourself, you would know that, that is a bit of revisionist history!!!

Meh!! No worries Bro! We all tell a story to make our arguments all that more important and/or relevant!
__________________
We SUCK AGAIN!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2012   #68
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,893
Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Gig 'em!!


***************************

All kidding aside, why are we considering another QB?? Why? Because Schaub is getting old, or because many of us and by us I mean you cynical folks are just bitching for the sake of bitching???

Just stoopid.... I think some people just post shyte about things they know nothing about just to push their agenda.
I keep asking this question myself. I questioned Schaub in his first two seasons when he couldn't stay healthy and when he hadn't proven anything, but he's been a consistently good top 10 QB. I hate the fact that Shcaub isn't mobile myself, but guess what?? Neither is Matt Ryan who is also 12-2 and neither is Eli Manning who is also a two time SB winner now. Manning and Brady aren't mobile either. Have you noticed that the minute that Schaub has a bad game or we lose everyone is out for his head?? What about the rest of the games he plays pretty well?

People forget that there are 32 teams in this league. We have a guy in the top ten, so that's pretty damn good to have. We could be a team that has a guy who is in the back 20. How bad would that be?? I'm all for looking for a future replacement if we have a great guy there in the draft, but I certainly wouldn't be looking for it as if it is a need. And it would have to be a guy that has potential like RG3 had coming into the league to replace a top 10 guy for me. Schaub may have certain things he doesn't do well, but so does every QB even Tom Brady.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #69
dream_team
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,697
Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Neither did a bunch of 49er's fans last year when Smith took them to the NFC Championship game. They thought good enough was good enough. Harbaugh thought different and made a change.
I live in the San Francisco area... and trust me, there's not too many people here who believed Alex Smith was the answer. Harbaugh didn't really believe in him either, that's why they drafted Kaepernick in the 2nd round.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #70
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid
 
EllisUnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Age: 30
Posts: 7,238
Rep Power: 131050 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Ok so everyone dont get their panties in a wad, we just signed Schaub to an extension. And the tilte of the thread says "future" QB as in later on down the road. I seriously doubt the OP meant future as in next game, i'm sure he means 2-3 seasons.
__________________
"Oh, yes, and one more thing, dear Lord — about our enemies? Ignore their heathen prayers and help us blow those little bastards straight to hell. Amen again."
EllisUnit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #71
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame
 
MEGA SWATT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: H-Town
Posts: 2,826
Rep Power: 26865 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Neither did a bunch of 49er's fans last year when Smith took them to the NFC Championship game. They thought good enough was good enough. Harbaugh thought different and made a change.

Schaub is good enough until Kubiak decides he isn't I guess. I'd have a hard time saying that Schaub was so good that the position was beyond the possibility of upgrading.

I don't think we have that kind of knowledge about Cousins though. Need to see more and there's no rush. Schaub wins a Super Bowl this year and the point is moot anyway.
One game-deciding turnover for CK in the playoffs and all that comes crashing down on Harbaugh
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #72
EVOLVIST
Kid A
 
EVOLVIST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 706
Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
And for you guys who want him [Schaub] gone or who constantly bash the guy, please suggest how a better replacement would come here? Who?? Where are the Texans going to get this elite QB from, because the next step above Schaub is an elite guy.
I'd rep you twice if I could, for all of that and then some. I might be a little bit higher on Yates than you, but not by much, because I see a far cry in Yates' play when he first came in compared to the end of the season, and yes, like you said, in the pre-season, as well.

I was expecting to see a sharp and polished QB, but he looked even more rigid in the pocket than he did during the Ravens' game. Why? I don't know. Career backup? Probably.

Yates gave many of us reasons to be optimistic early on, sure. But that regression of his just looks like sh!t now, and if he doesn't somehow make an about face, then yeah, he's going nowhere fast. Sort of like he's doing now.

Having said that, no, I just don't see one viable scenario for getting rid of Schaub; moreover, I can't see why we would.

There are QBs, in theory, that I'd like to see what they could do in our offense, but it's not going to happen, so why even sweat it?

Good, bad or indifferent, Matt Schaub is going to take this generation of Texans to the promised land...or he's not. End of story.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #73
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame
 
MEGA SWATT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: H-Town
Posts: 2,826
Rep Power: 26865 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I keep asking this question myself. I questioned Schaub in his first two seasons when he couldn't stay healthy and when he hadn't proven anything, but he's been a consistently good top 10 QB. I hate the fact that Shcaub isn't mobile myself, but guess what?? Neither is Matt Ryan who is also 12-2 and neither is Eli Manning who is also a two time SB winner now. Manning and Brady aren't mobile either. Have you noticed that the minute that Schaub has a bad game or we lose everyone is out for his head?? What about the rest of the games he plays pretty well?

People forget that there are 32 teams in this league. We have a guy in the top ten, so that's pretty damn good to have. We could be a team that has a guy who is in the back 20. How bad would that be?? I'm all for looking for a future replacement if we have a great guy there in the draft, but I certainly wouldn't be looking for it as if it is a need. And it would have to be a guy that has potential like RG3 had coming into the league to replace a top 10 guy for me. Schaub may have certain things he doesn't do well, but so does every QB even Tom Brady.
Agree. I just hope we groom a replacement for down the line - not sure TJ is it - he might, he might not. I'd like to see the same at WR for AJ, and at RB for AF. We can keep Watt healthy and keep adding some talent and a possible successor to Wade once he retires and the Texans can remain a force in the league for 10+ years!
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #74
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,893
Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I live in the San Francisco area... and trust me, there's not too many people here who believed Alex Smith was the answer. Harbaugh didn't really believe in him either, that's why they drafted Kaepernick in the 2nd round.
Alex Smith has been a bottom feeder QB his entire career though. He finally had a season last year that wasn't terrible. Matt Schaub is not even remotely comparable to a guy like Alex Smith. Schaub has been a top 10 guy for years and has not regressed at all.

And TJ Yates never showed anything close to what Kapernick did the other night against the Patriots. He never showed potential like that ever. Hell, I even watched Yates very closely in the pre season to see if there was some improvements since I have been so terrified of ever having that guy as our starter again, and he looked worse in pre season against a ton of back ups then he did last season.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #75
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,893
Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
Agree. I just hope we groom a replacement for down the line - not sure TJ is it - he might, he might not. I'd like to see the same at WR for AJ, and at RB for AF. We can keep Watt healthy and keep adding some talent and a possible successor to Wade once he retires and the Texans can remain a force in the league for 10+ years!
Actually I think the Texans are in a perfect position because they don't need a QB right now, BUT they can always go all out if one is there.

I might have to pull that Redskins thread when the news first hit about them giving up all those picks for RG3, because I remember all types of people in here bashing that move all because of picks being involved. I sat there thinking man, the Skins just made a franchise move that will pay them dividends for years. Who cares about those picks they gave up, because they just got a guy who has a strong potential to be elite for like 10 years. I guarantee you that if the Texans ever made that move people in here would go nuts all because we lost some picks. If you have a chance at a franchise QB that could be an elite level guy YOU TAKE IT!!!

If the Texans see a guy on the board in the top 5 or something where a team doesn't need a QB, that's when they need to go all out and spend two #1 picks or something like that to get him. I want a true elite level QB to replace Schaub because if there is anything I have learned about this league is that it's ran by elite QB's and great defenses. You make that investment if you have the opportunity. The Texans need to sit back and look for a team to take advantage of if a top tier talent is ever there in the near future. But for now, we're going to be fine with Schaub for several years. Look at how many years people have been saying we should replace Schaub and yet Schaub only seems to get better with age.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #76
ObsiWan
Site Contributor
 
ObsiWan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: League City, Tx
Age: 63
Posts: 15,268
Rep Power: 293364 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I am not sure if he is terrible, but I am sure that he has left me totally unimpressed. Last year, we had a solid OL, and as much as people tried to say that he showed the poise of a veteran, I didn't see it. I saw him respond in his play often as a scared school kid......leading to poor decisions. And as for major mistakes, the way the play calling protected him, he had very little opportunity to be in a position to make them. Neither did I ever see him "make" something happen. That's just my personal interpretation. I would be much more excited and hopeful to see how Keenum has developed in a year. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Keenum with his "make things happen" history would take over the the backup spot next year with a little "dazzle factor" to boot. We'll just have to wait and see.
This is where I am too, doc. That's why I said, "I'm not convinced Yates is Schaub's successor."

After last season all the Yates supporters kept telling the skeptical among us, "Just wait until Yates has a whole off-season and a whole training camp to develop!" "Yates may well take Schaub's starters job!"

Well, that whole off-season and all those OTA sessions and the entire training camp came and went. Yates did not appear, to me, to have improved. In fact, like Doc said, he seemed to regress a bit.
You may say, "well, he was playing with second teamers."
That is true. It's also true is was playing AGAINST 2nd/3rd teamers. And he didn't look any better.

Maybe this coming year he will blossom. I'm sure he'll be back. The question is, who, if anyone, will Smithiak bring in to challenge him?
Or will Kubiak give Keenum a legit shot to leapfrog Yates and take over as the #2 QB?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #77
GP 
Go Texans!
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TEXAS!
Posts: 17,747
Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
This is where I am too, doc. That's why I said, "I'm not convinced Yates is Schaub's successor."

After last season all the Yates supporters kept telling the skeptical among us, "Just wait until Yates has a whole off-season and a whole training camp to develop!" "Yates may well take Schaub's starters job!"

Well, that whole off-season and all those OTA sessions and the entire training camp came and went. Yates did not appear, to me, to have improved. In fact, like Doc said, he seemed to regress a bit.
You may say, "well, he was playing with second teamers."
That is true. It's also true is was playing AGAINST 2nd/3rd teamers. And he didn't look any better.

Maybe this coming year he will blossom. I'm sure he'll be back. The question is, who, if anyone, will Smithiak bring in to challenge him?
Or will Kubiak give Keenum a legit shot to leapfrog Yates and take over as the #2 QB?
Guilty as charged.

What I expected of Yates and what he displayed in preseason vs. opponents' 3rd stringers was a huge HUGE letdown for me. HUGE.

Yates benefited from teams not having tape on him, a healthy OL, a great run game, and a Top 1 or 2 defense via Wade Phillips. The buzz of him coming in and leading us nearly to the AFCC game was a mirage; a bit of luck.

I don't think Keenum has "it" either, and I base this on nothing more than how Yates was Kubiak's next-big-boy who promptly seems to have turned into probably-just-a-career-backup.

Honestly, Keenum being the next-big-boy is sort of like lottery odds. Really, really not the odds you'd like to have.

In a few years, if Schaub is not panning out and it's time to reboot (heh, love the pun!)....then we should make a Redskins-type move and go after a sharp QB by hook or by crook. And he needs to be able to run 3 yards every now and then.
__________________
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #78
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 49,452
Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Actually I think the Texans are in a perfect position because they don't need a QB right now, BUT they can always go all out if one is there.
I agree with most of your posts on Schaub and Yates but this is spot on. The Texans have a 1-3 year window to let drafts fall to them and find someone who doesn't have to be an immediate starter but has the potential to be elite. No reason to force it but also no reason to pass up a good opportunity because it isn't a top need.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #79
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame
 
MEGA SWATT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: H-Town
Posts: 2,826
Rep Power: 26865 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Actually I think the Texans are in a perfect position because they don't need a QB right now, BUT they can always go all out if one is there.

I might have to pull that Redskins thread when the news first hit about them giving up all those picks for RG3, because I remember all types of people in here bashing that move all because of picks being involved. I sat there thinking man, the Skins just made a franchise move that will pay them dividends for years. Who cares about those picks they gave up, because they just got a guy who has a strong potential to be elite for like 10 years. I guarantee you that if the Texans ever made that move people in here would go nuts all because we lost some picks. If you have a chance at a franchise QB that could be an elite level guy YOU TAKE IT!!!

If the Texans see a guy on the board in the top 5 or something where a team doesn't need a QB, that's when they need to go all out and spend two #1 picks or something like that to get him. I want a true elite level QB to replace Schaub because if there is anything I have learned about this league is that it's ran by elite QB's and great defenses. You make that investment if you have the opportunity. The Texans need to sit back and look for a team to take advantage of if a top tier talent is ever there in the near future. But for now, we're going to be fine with Schaub for several years. Look at how many years people have been saying we should replace Schaub and yet Schaub only seems to get better with age.
Agree.
__________________
WATTcha gonna do - WATTcha gonna do when he comes for you? JJ Bad boy, Bad boy (Deion Sanders stole this from me!)
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #80
Norg
Hall of Fame
 
Norg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,863
Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

maybe to soon to know

who knoes if kubes and Shanny are still coaches in 3 years

who knows how long schaub will play

and who knows how COusins will play

if we win the SB and all goes well schaub will be here for another 4 years
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger