Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2012   #41
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

yea, yates will never be a starter, unless he does..
Old 12-18-2012   #42
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates not terrible and a higher ceiling than schaub
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #43
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we were to get Cousins , I would be happy.
Old 12-18-2012   #44
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40 View Post
If we were to get Cousins , I would be happy.
Really? Wouldn't it kind of matter how much we gave up for him?
Old 12-18-2012   #45
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 56179 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

why are so many against Yates? He played with a banged up AJ and was a true rookie who started the season as the 3rd qb. Did any of you really think we would win a super bowl? The guy has all the tools to be good and offers things Matt doesn't, stronger arm and MUCH more mobile than Matt ever dreamt of being.

What about clinching our first playoff game without AJ, could Matt have done that...not 100% confident in that one especially with Foster being held in check all game.....

Not saying Yates is the GOAT, but IMO he will be MUCH better than Schaub ever has been or will be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4VOLPxKlis

Still gives me chills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wV-u6Vnr7o

Notice AJ did not have to stop and come back and make a spectacular grab over a defender?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLfGMN9ocVQ

What about on the run?

Sure he will make mistakes in the beginning, but Yates has all the tools to be great in this system
Old 12-18-2012   #46
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
why are so many against Yates? He played with a banged up AJ and was a true rookie who started the season as the 3rd qb. Did any of you really think we would win a super bowl? The guy has all the tools to be good and offers things Matt doesn't, stronger arm and MUCH more mobile than Matt ever dreamt of being.

What about clinching our first playoff game without AJ, could Matt have done that...not 100% confident in that one especially with Foster being held in check all game.....

Not saying Yates is the GOAT, but IMO he will be MUCH better than Schaub ever has been or will be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4VOLPxKlis

Still gives me chills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wV-u6Vnr7o

Notice AJ did not have to stop and come back and make a spectacular grab over a defender?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLfGMN9ocVQ

What about on the run?

Sure he will make mistakes in the beginning, but Yates has all the tools to be great in this system
While there were a few who weren't high on him last season, I think most of the concern you see stems from the fact he looked absolutely putrid in preseason this year. I agree it's not much to base an opinion on, but I think it does kind of make you take a step back and want more info.
Old 12-18-2012   #47
amazing80
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56179 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
While there were a few who weren't high on him last season, I think most of the concern you see stems from the fact he looked absolutely putrid in preseason this year. I agree it's not much to base an opinion on, but I think it does kind of make you take a step back and want more info.
Oh I agree with that, but the team in general sucked in pre-season and the best player in pre-season isn't even on this team any more, Trindon Holliday, so take it with a grain of salt
Old 12-18-2012   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

People might want to consider the level of competition Yates faced last year.

In the 8 games he played (5 were against winning teams, 2 of them went to the play-offs.)

The Jags, and the Bengals (twice) had top ten defenses.
And everybody knows about the Ravens.
The Falcons, while did not rank highly on paper, were not without a pretty decent defense.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
TJ Yates will never be the starter here. If he does it will be short term until we find a real prospect. Yates is terrible.
I wonder how Tj Yates' stats look compared to Andrew Lucks first 5 games. I'd also like to see how Luck performs in his first play-off game compared to the young tarheel.
Old 12-18-2012   #50
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 40576 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fili View Post
Yates is far from terrible. Remember the win against Cincy? That didn't happen on its own. He out played Matt Ryan his first start. He played last year like a rookie. Pretty much how the rookie QBs are playing this year.
But, to play devil's advocate here, the more playing time he got the worse his play got!

On the other hand, to be pragmatic, I believe Yates suffered as the season went on from too much information at once. At first he was relying on his instincts and his knowledge of the paybook of course, but then he has Kubes, Dennison, Knapp, Schaub, Leinart, Garcia, Dellhome, and God knows what other players in his ear 24/7 "coaching him up."

I remember reading all the practice quotes from back then and thinking that these guys are putting too much in his head, and sure enough, week after week his play faltered, in turn causing Kubes to dumb down the playbook because of his own monster.

Of course we'll never really know, but I think it's as sound a theory as any, especially since Yates, at the start, was doing as well, or better than a number of his peers and even Hall of Famers during their first years.

While we're on the QB topic, though. If Vick stays in Philly, maybe we could have a shot at Nick Folles? I would love to see this guy in a Texans' uniform.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Solution needed immediately at qb, this a good team now. Window will close. Low ceiling with current qb. Don't know if backup is answer. Would love to see opportunities explored. Hell Seattle qb, what a third rd pick? Roll the dice like Seattle and San fran
I wonder what Matt Schaub would look like if we had receivers like Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Mario Manningham, Plaxico Burress, Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace, Heinz Ward.....

I know we've got a guy who is better than all of those guys. But the thing about it is that many of those guys were on the same team at the same time, giving their QBs plenty of targets.

Matt hasn't had that luxury, but when called upon, managed to put up back to back 4,000 yard seasons. & remember what receivers he had to do it with.

I think we should start looking for Matt's replacement when Pittsburgh or New York Giants start looking for their replacement QBs.
Old 12-18-2012   #52
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
But, to play devil's advocate here, the more playing time he got the worse his play got!

On the other hand, to be pragmatic, I believe Yates suffered as the season went on from too much information at once. At first he was relying on his instincts and his knowledge of the paybook of course, but then he has Kubes, Dennison, Knapp, Schaub, Leinart, Garcia, Dellhome, and God knows what other players in his ear 24/7 "coaching him up."

I remember reading all the practice quotes from back then and thinking that these guys are putting too much in his head, and sure enough, week after week his play faltered, in turn causing Kubes to dumb down the playbook because of his own monster.

Of course we'll never really know, but I think it's as sound a theory as any, especially since Yates, at the start, was doing as well, or better than a number of his peers and even Hall of Famers during their first years.

While we're on the QB topic, though. If Vick stays in Philly, maybe we could have a shot at Nick Folles? I would love to see this guy in a Texans' uniform.
It's hard to say what will happen in Philly, looks like the Andy Reid era may come to an end.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #53
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
This is what I was going to post. The way RG3 plays, he's not going to last long.

And I agree with Texecutioner, Yates is terrible.
I am not sure if he is terrible, but I am sure that he has left me totally unimpressed. Last year, we had a solid OL, and as much as people tried to say that he showed the poise of a veteran, I didn't see it. I saw him respond in his play often as a scared school kid......leading to poor decisions. And as for major mistakes, the way the play calling protected him, he had very little opportunity to be in a position to make them. Neither did I ever see him "make" something happen. That's just my personal interpretation. I would be much more excited and hopeful to see how Keenum has developed in a year. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Keenum with his "make things happen" history would take over the the backup spot next year with a little "dazzle factor" to boot. We'll just have to wait and see.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #54
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I wonder how Tj Yates' stats look compared to Andrew Lucks first 5 games. I'd also like to see how Luck performs in his first play-off game compared to the young tarheel.
Yates went 78/130 for a 60% completion rate and had 3 tds and 3 ints. 902 yards plus 57 yards rushing.

Luck went 118/221 for a 53% completion rate and 7 tds and 7 ints. 1488 yards plus 103 yards rushing.

They might want to cut Luck and trade for Cousins

PS, Luck played pre-season snaps AND got all the first team reps assuming the starter role
Old 12-18-2012   #55
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Our offense had 100 yds less passing per game and 10 pts less per game. I don't see where this Yates love comes from.

As to the OP - why not just use one of those draft picks on a QB?

But to give you a boost with a counter - of the 2007 draft class (the year we traded for Schaub) of QB's - none are starters in the NFL. Of the 2008 draft class of QB's only the two taken in the 1st round are starters.
Old 12-18-2012   #56
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Our offense had 100 yds less passing per game and 10 pts less per game. I don't see where this Yates love comes from.
The love comes from the eye test and knowing he was a green horn with no knowledge of our extensive playbook, but yet he still made great plays and looked the part....
Old 12-18-2012   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to mention that in his first five games, Luck threw at least 10 other iffy passes that had decent-to-good chance of being intercepted; 5 of them were right at the defenders' numbers with the receivers having no chance to prevent the damage.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #58
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
The love comes from the eye test and knowing he was a green horn with no knowledge of our extensive playbook, but yet he still made great plays and looked the part....
OK well my eye test said backup QB. I don't care if Schaub looks like Gomer Pyle. I'm trying to figure out what "looks the part" more when the result is clearly inferior.
Old 12-18-2012   #59
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Any chance we could get Cousins from the Skins?

He looked great Sunday and if we could get him for a couple second rounders ala Shaub, would you bite?
I like Yates as the future. He did a Hell of a job for us last year.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #60
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see why you'd make that move this year. It's not Matt's mobility that has impressed me this year but his arm does seem to have a bit more zip on it that I remember in the past and seems to be making smarter decisions.

If I thought Matt was going on 37 as opposed to 31 I'd consider making a move. Why use 2 2nds when we could possibly use a just one second or later to get a guy like Wilson, Murray, or even see how Keenum develops.

For the record, I think Reid's tenure in Philly is over and Vick's future is up in the air. He just still hasn't quite figured the position out and his injury history b/c of how he plays continues to catch up to him.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read