Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-25-2012   #281
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Honestly?

Alex Smith is better at being mediocre than Matt Schaub. And I think better at being mediocre would go a big way towards helping us win. The only thing is, with the way Schaub's been pressured, I can't fully blame him for crappy play.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #282
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97234 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
QB's get too much blame and too much credit. We all know this. Nobody is saying that isn't the case. This TEAM does not play well when it is under the spotlight, or when its facing a legitimate contender (which they very much want all of us to believe they are).

They lose their focus, make mental errors, and generally just fall apart. Why is that? What causes that to happen? Nobody that I have read posting has denied that this happens. I can go back to Gary Kubiak's first year here and rattle off the games where this has happened over and over again. It's not something we are arguing about because it has happened consistently.

So what's going on? Where do we look for answers to this?

We look at the leaders and traditionally that's your GM. your Head Coach, and your QB. Sorry but that comes with the territory. Maybe it isn't fair but that's how it works. Where do we look? We look "up".
Well Herv, I know what your opinions are on a lot of things, but doesn't a lot of this seem familiar? Take your criticisms of Schaub away for a minute because I know how you feel there, but where else does this point towards when the majority of the offense s struggling all of a sudden and playing uninspired?? It points towards the HC. I started a thread a few weks ago after the NE game and felt like we would be in a better position to win in the playoffs after that loss, because I felt that the loss could really be a wake up call. If that didn't happen, I stated it would be because of poor coaching then. That's the coach's job to fix those mistakes in practice and to formulate new strategies for a team's weaknesses. All I see is a lack in creativity in how our offense is moving. I see problems all over the offense which starts with the O line. Can Kubiak fix this stuff and get it turned around? Sure, but only time will tell if that happens.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #283
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152339 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Well Herv, I know what your opinions are on a lot of things, but doesn't a lot of this seem familiar? Take your criticisms of Schaub away for a minute because I know how you feel there, but where else does this point towards when the majority of the offense s struggling all of a sudden and playing uninspired?? It points towards the HC. I started a thread a few weks ago after the NE game and felt like we would be in a better position to win in the playoffs after that loss, because I felt that the loss could really be a wake up call. If that didn't happen, I stated it would be because of poor coaching then. That's the coach's job to fix those mistakes in practice and to formulate new strategies for a team's weaknesses. All I see is a lack in creativity in how our offense is moving. I see problems all over the offense which starts with the O line. Can Kubiak fix this stuff and get it turned around? Sure, but only time will tell if that happens.
You know what I worry about most? We get home field/bye and what happens? We come off a two-week bye like we ALWAYS do, sluggish and unprepared for at least a half. I don't see how it would be different in the playoffs.

I've harped on Kubiak's lack of preparing this team for YEARS. YEARS. For longer than Thorn's been alive. He's our biggest threat to team play in the playoffs if we get the bye, not the other team we go up against.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #284
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97234 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
You know what I worry about most? We get home field/bye and what happens? We come off a two-week bye like we ALWAYS do, sluggish and unprepared for at least a half. I don't see how it would be different in the playoffs.

I've harped on Kubiak's lack of preparing this team for YEARS. YEARS. For longer than Thorn's been alive. He's our biggest threat to team play in the playoffs if we get the bye, not the other team we go up against.
Totally agreed Jen. I'm aware of your opinions on Kubiak and I've always felt the same. My biggest fear is Kubiak. Not the other team. I just have to hope that our players can rise to the occassion on their own and play their best game without the motivation from their HC. It's possible, but it's a much stronger challenge.
Old 12-25-2012   #285
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
All very good points.
Old 12-25-2012   #286
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
All very good points.
Well that is where I think you're misdirecting your complaints Mussop. I understand that you value a mobile QB as well as I, but we've had Schaub for years and you have not had a problem with him not being mobile all these years. He is who he is. He'll need strong protection man. Kubiak needs to make sure our offense is ready. That's his baby. Our Oline has played pretty well all season considering the injuries. We're supposed to be this power running game and we haven't been lately even with all these RB's on our roster. If our running game can't do what it is supposed to do, then Kubiak needs to figure out some new plays and some trickery to fool other teams so their defenses can't get after schaub as easy. Maybe we should be passing to set up the running game instead of the the running game to set up the play action. You've got to change things up when you're struggling across the board like we currently are.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read