Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-23-2012   #221
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible future QB solution?

Matt Schaub can be the starting Qb of a superbowl caliber team, but he cannot carry it. He is Trent Dilfer on steroids, a very very good game manager. We shouldn't sell the farm to trade up for a Qb unless he is generational type of talent. With that said we should invest a first day pick on someone who has a chance to be elite any chance we get. Imagine if we take Russell Wilson late second and he is being groomed for the future. There are prospects that have the tools more than we tend to think, and if Kubiak is the Qb guru we think he is he could groom them to reach their full potential. Mallet, Oswieler, Cousins, even a guy like Colt McCoy could benefit from very good Qb development and be just as good if not better than Schaub.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #222
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, Mallett is the guy I would like to get if we are talking bringing in a young Qb from some other roster.
Old 12-23-2012   #223
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 55012 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

I suddenly have the urge to take a sh!t.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #224
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel like crying watching Russel Wilson play right now, knowing he was available.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #225
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

what sucks is next year the QB class is so trash is what there projecting maybe in the F/A ... but IDK its to early to see
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #226
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I feel like crying watching Russel Wilson play right now, knowing he was available.
Why? Why would you feel that way? Had he not been drafted when he was there is no telling how far he would have sunk in the draft. There is nothing to hold against the Texans or any other team for passing on Wilson. He is a huge surprise that Carroll deserves a huge pat on the back for not only seeing, but also starting.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #227
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Why? Why would you feel that way? Had he not been drafted when he was there is no telling how far he would have sunk in the draft. There is nothing to hold against the Texans or any other team for passing on Wilson. He is a huge surprise that Carroll deserves a huge pat on the back for not only seeing, but also starting.
Not surprise from this corner, even as I like Keenum, I also like Wilson.

I even suggested that the Texans take both of them and let them battle with Yates. I actually like both of them better than Yates, and I don't dislike Yates.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2012   #228
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Not surprise from this corner, even as I like Keenum, I also like Wilson.

I even suggested that the Texans take both of them and let them battle with Yates. I actually like both of them better than Yates, and I don't dislike Yates.
Everyone is under this idea now that it is so easy to just start draftimg 2nd and 3rd rounders at QB just because of WIlson and Kapernick's success. They're completely forgetting about the dozens of others who end up being average or not really any good that teams run through and have no success with. I'd rather stick with Schaub and wait for that great prospect, and I'd be willing to trade several #1 draft picks for a can't miss guy in the top 5. Those are usually the guys that end up being elite. The odds are a lot higher any way.
Old 12-24-2012   #229
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Everyone is under this idea now that it is so easy to just start draftimg 2nd and 3rd rounders at QB just because of WIlson and Kapernick's success. They're completely forgetting about the dozens of others who end up being average or not really any good that teams run through and have no success with. I'd rather stick with Schaub and wait for that great prospect, and I'd be willing to trade several #1 draft picks for a can't miss guy in the top 5. Those are usually the guys that end up being elite. The odds are a lot higher any way.
The odds work for you when you do your homework.

In the mock draft section, I just brought back a thread on receivers yesterday.

In it, I said that Wilson, Keenum, and RG III were the 3 QBs that played the best under pressure during their college career.
That's where they derived their success from.

That's what you look for in a QB.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #230
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80234 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't disagree with this at all, its easy to say you "knew" a guy would be good, but hind sight is always 20/20...the point is though, Yates has the potential to be much better than Schaub
Old 12-24-2012   #231
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

its really bad when the top F/A QBs next year are Jason cambell and Matt moore

and i dont follow the QB class that much but that looks grimm esp when we pick in the top 20's

u think the Ravens will release Flacco ...????? ehhhh IDK

David carr Vince young Tebow anybody LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #232
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
I don't disagree with this at all, its easy to say you "knew" a guy would be good, but hind sight is always 20/20...the point is though, Yates has the potential to be much better than Schaub
You lose any cred when you mention Yates. I'm tired of talking about him or even discussing his name. He's back up. He'll always be a back up. Get over it and accept it or go root for another team, because Schaub isn't going anywhere any time soon. You say you agreed with what I just wrote, but then start bringing up a sorry ass 6th rounder who played like trash at this time last season, so you're a total contradiction to even suggest Yates. I'm all for hearing about other guys in the up coming drafts. I'd like to find a Schaub replacement for the future, but I want a guy who looks like a can't miss where the margin of error on the guy is very slim. You want a guy that can be an average starter at best if he hits his peak completely. It is no point in me discussing QB's with you because you aren't even suggesting anything that has value to the discussion at this point.
Old 12-24-2012   #233
amazing80
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80234 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You lose any cred when you mention Yates. I'm tired of talking about him or even discussing his name. He's back up. He'll always be a back up. Get over it and accept it or go root for another team, because Schaub isn't going anywhere any time soon. You say you agreed with what I just wrote, but then start bringing up a sorry ass 6th rounder who played like trash at this time last season, so you're a total contradiction to even suggest Yates. I'm all for hearing about other guys in the up coming drafts. I'd like to find a Schaub replacement for the future, but I want a guy who looks like a can't miss where the margin of error on the guy is very slim. You want a guy that can be an average starter at best if he hits his peak completely. It is no point in me discussing QB's with you because you aren't even suggesting anything that has value to the discussion at this point.
You rip me for suggesting Yates when you think he is average at best but you continue to defend Schaub, and you have the nerve to question my credit and suggest I root for another team? LOL, who died and appointed you Texan fan HR manager?
Old 12-24-2012   #234
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
You rip me for suggesting Yates when you think he is average at best but you continue to defend Schaub, and you have the nerve to question my credit and suggest I root for another team? LOL, who died and appointed you Texan fan HR manager?
I'm just trying to point out that Schaub isn't going anywhere any time soon. It seems like you feel as if he is incapable completely. But the franchise is very loyal to Schaub and I don't see that changing no matter what you or I feel as far as how good he is for this team. He is going to be the guy for probably at least another two years.
Old 12-24-2012   #235
coon
Veteran

Schaub will and should be the guy for the immediate future, but we should always be looking to upgrade at the most important position in football. This team has alot of young talent on both sides of the ball, and with a top tier Qb we can win for a long time. There are guys are taken outside of the top ten with all the physical tools to be very good to great Qb's. Brees 2nd rd, Brady 5th rd, wilson 3rd rd, rodgers 24th pick, dalton 2nd rd, Romo UFA. Fortunately for us we do have Schaub and arent in a position to hastily grab someone out of need. I just think that if a player comes along that has the physical tools, and more importantly the mental tools to develop into a high level guy we should take him no matter what pick is used and let him develop under Schaub until he beats him out. I remember how high 76 was on Keenum, I hope your right about him buddy.
Old 12-24-2012   #236
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't say you can't win it all with Schaub, but I will say if we are going to continue to roll with him as our QB we have to dramatically improve the OL. Schaub is clearly bothered by pressure and could be one of the least mobile QBs in the league.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #237
amazing80
Site Contributor

The only way we win with Schaub is if AF dominates the game and Andre makes ridiculous catches and our defense plays lights out, won't be BECAUSE of Matt, it will be IN SPITE of Matt
Old 12-24-2012   #238
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I still want to know how much of Schaub's play is on him and how much is due to direct orders from Kubiak. Is Schaub not allowed to scramble due to fear of injury? Is automatically assume the fetal position at the slightest hint of pressure directed from Kubiak to prevent injury or a fumble?

I've seen too many busted plays that Schaub could've scrambled for positive yardage but instead threw the ball away.

If Kubiak does make the above decisions, is it because Schaub is fragile or exceptionally unatheletic?

Right now I'm not the biggest Schaub fan in the world but I'm not ready to place all of the blame on him without knowing the facts.
Old 12-24-2012   #239
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

schaub doesnt change protection at the line and blitzers shoot the gap, then folks blame the o-line.. how much blame was put on the o-line yesterday for schaubs failures..
Old 12-24-2012   #240
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I wouldn't say you can't win it all with Schaub, but I will say if we are going to continue to roll with him as our QB we have to dramatically improve the OL. Schaub is clearly bothered by pressure and could be one of the least mobile QBs in the league.
I'll pose the same question to you that i've posed to others in here and have seemingly gotten no credible response back. Regarding the bolded above, name a qb outside of the top 5 that isn't bothered by pressure.

You guys love to sit up here & make these blanket generalizations about Schaub's ability & the sad thing is, you don't even realize that the same is true for every other qb in the league. Hell, even the elite have issues dealing with pressure at times. Did you happen to see Brady in his last 2 SB appearances & in that Baltimore playoff game a few years back? What about "Matty ice" in the playoff game against the packers in 2010? Hell, There's a 2 time SB winning qb in NY that has looked like a complete clown the last few games b/c he's been under constant pressure.

but for some strange reason folks here think that Schaub is supposed to handle it 100% better than even the elite do & all we need to do is go out & get a more mobile qb & we'll be good. Clearly some of you haven't been watching college / NFL football for very long.

Yes, a qb who's a little more mobile might've been able to make a few more things happen, but the rule proven in the NFL over the last 6789 years is that a qb under pressure is a qb that's going to have trouble making plays & moving the offense period. This is b/c pressure usually results in moving guys off of their spot & jacks up the timing of the play. This obviously affects traditional pocket passers like schaub more than mobile qb's but with mobile qb's, accuracy is usually what's compromised the most when they're under pressure...so for every play they may make there's usually a bad play right around the corner. How many mobile qb's do u have to see come thru the league for this to be written in stone is up to you.

#2, there's a reason why they say "a running game is a qb's best friend". Pretty self explanatory if you understand the game... Keeps the pressure off the qb opens up passing lanes, controls the clock etc. Yesterday, between Foster & Tate, we rushed for a whopping 32 yds...nuff said.

You add in the dropped passes & you've got a recipe for a what schaub did yesterday.

If we all agree that Schaub isn't elite (which you guys say you do) why get so pissed off & call for the guys head when he doesn't do "elite" qb things?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read