Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-11-2005   #1
Caw Daddy
Rookie

Default Chris Mckenzie

Attention all professional HoustonTexans.com forum posters...

should i be poumped up about this undrafted CB out of Arizona?
Caw Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005   #2
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

As a more than a special teamer or practice squad player for 2005 no. His development probably would be very Petey Faggins like.

BTW, all three of the UFDA corners (cedric Williams and Jerome Wishom) that the Texans picked up were regarded as draftable players, so I am expecting at least on the either make squad or practice squad.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005   #3
Caw Daddy
Rookie

who is petey faggins?
Caw Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005   #4
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caw Daddy
who is petey faggins?
Petey is Demarcus Faggins nickname
TexanFan881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005   #5
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

Chris Mckenzie was one of the most sought after Undrafted Free Agents. He's a heck of an athlete...4.35 in the 40 and a 44 inch vertical I think. If he would've been 2 inches taller he would've been a first day prospect. With the kind of vertical he has, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a starter in a few years....at least he'll be a nickel corner, whether its the Texans or not. He'll be playing in the NFL longer than most Undrafted Free Agents.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005   #6
cadahnic
All Pro

The kid is good, but not that good, remember there is a reason he was not drafted. The problem he has is with taller receivers bodying him. And since he is only 5-8 everybody is taller than him. Chris has the physical gifts to be a solid backup corner in this league for years and the Texans will keep him on the active roster because we need depth in the secondary. one of the other two guys will make the practice squad also.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005   #7
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is one guy to watch out for. Last week Capers was raving about Mckenzie and has him working with the 1st and 2nd team defense.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2005   #8
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114
This is one guy to watch out for. Last week Capers was raving about Mckenzie and has him working with the 1st and 2nd team defense.
I definately think this guy will be on the roster this year, but where did you here about him working with the first and second team defense? I don't remember hearing that, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-11-2005   #9
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

If height is the primary reason he wasn't drafted, then that's just foolish. I don't think there is much difference in a 6'+WR going up against a 5'9" CB (Aaron Glenn, Antoine Winfield, etc) or one that's 5'8" like McKenzie. Especially if he has such rare athletic ability.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005   #10
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Chris could be one of the biggest surprises this year.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005   #11
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caw Daddy
Attention all professional HoustonTexans.com forum posters...

should i be poumped up about this undrafted CB out of Arizona?

One thing that is abundently clear is that you can not have enough CBs on your team when you are facing Manning.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005   #12
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
I definately think this guy will be on the roster this year, but where did you here about him working with the first and second team defense? I don't remember hearing that, but I could be wrong.
Foxsports southwest had like a 5 minute special on him last weekend and thats where he said he was working with the 1st and 2nd teams and Capers confirmed it during the interview.
Old 06-11-2005   #13
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
This doesn't mean that Mckenzie is first or second string on the depth chart, it just means that Capers wanted to see how he would do against legitimate NFL players. McKenzie will most likely be on the practice squad just because the Texans already have quite a bit of talent at corner right now and McKenzie is eligible for the practice squad while the others aren't. Robinson, Buchanon, Faggins, Sanders, and Simmons (he's listed as a safety, but he's essentially a corner) have spots pretty much wrapped up.

McKenzie's only realistic chance at a roster spot is to prove to be a better special teams player than Jason Bell.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005   #14
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
This doesn't mean that Mckenzie is first or second string on the depth chart, it just means that Capers wanted to see how he would do against legitimate NFL players. McKenzie will most likely be on the practice squad just because the Texans already have quite a bit of talent at corner right now and McKenzie is eligible for the practice squad while the others aren't. Robinson, Buchanon, Faggins, Sanders, and Simmons (he's listed as a safety, but he's essentially a corner) have spots pretty much wrapped up.

McKenzie's only realistic chance at a roster spot is to prove to be a better special teams player than Jason Bell.
When did I say he was 1st or 2nd string on the team?? All I said is that Capers has him working with 1st and 2nd team defense and to watch out for him because Capers really likes him.
Old 06-12-2005   #15
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
When did I say he was 1st or 2nd string on the team?? All I said is that Capers has him working with 1st and 2nd team defense and to watch out for him because Capers really likes him.
Your implication was that it was a big deal to work out with 1st and 2nd strings. The next post after yours was:

Quote:
After reading those two posts, I just thought I would tell everyone in general (and not just you in particular) that McKenzie would probably not be on the final roster.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #16
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Quote:

Your implication was that it was a big deal to work out with 1st and 2nd strings. The next post after yours was:

Quote:

After reading those two posts, I just thought I would tell everyone in general (and not just you in particular) that McKenzie would probably not be on the final roster.
I just meant that I don't think he will be cut and he will be on the practice squad: I don't know if that clears anything up though.

Also looking through past news:
Quote:
Texans | McKenzie Fighting for a Roster Spot - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:55:16 -0700

Nick Schenck, of HoustonTexans.com, reports Houston Texans undrafted rookie CB Chris McKenzie has shown the ability to bounce back from his miscues and not repeat them, making him one of the team's most promising rookies thus far in the evaluation process. "He's done well out here," head coach Dom Capers said. "He certainly has the physical tools. We'll just have to see, but you can never have enough good cover guys." McKenzie will likely have to excel on special teams in order to make the 53-man roster.

Last edited by TexanFan881; 06-12-2005 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2005   #17
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange

If we put him on the practicew squad that means we have to cut him. Which means somebody else will certainly pick him up off the waiver wire.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #18
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul
If we put him on the practicew squad that means we have to cut him. Which means somebody else will certainly pick him up off the waiver wire.
i dont think thats how it works, but i might be wrong
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #19
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul
Well that is how it works (I don't believe he goes on the waiver wire, but is essientially a free agent), but I don't think we can be certain that he'll be picked up since 31 other teams passed on him on draft day. There certainly is a chance he could get picked up, but there's also a chance that he'd allow us to match or better any offer he gets from another team.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #20
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

At 5'8 he can cover Brandon Stokley.

with his 45 inch vertical, I think I'd be willing to put him against any receiver under 6'1...........I'd be more worried about the strong receiver matchup against him...........and not the tall and fast receiver.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read